closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1969 - the year watch production crashed?!?

Master

1969 - the year watch production crashed?!?

I’ve just spotted something a bit odd. My birth year is 1969 and as per usual I look up my year across a whole range of brands on Chrono 24. Anyway to cut to the point, Omega, Breitling, Rolex , Tissot it’s the same story the amount of watches available is roughly a half, sometimes a third of 1970.
    I’m trying to figure out if it’s something up with Chrono 24 searches or whether there was actually a reduction . Did the Watch companies ramp up production thinking there would be a new decade optimistic boost in consumption ? I’ve not heard of any particular downturn in the late 60’s either

Craftsman
    Chrono24 tends to have peaks in the 19x0s because people will list the decade of the watch (e.g. 70s, 80s) if they don't know the specific year. Hence why there are localised peaks at 1970, 1980, 1990, etc. I think that explains most of it.

For Rolex, see the peaks at the 19x0 years:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Chrono24 tends to have peaks in the 19x0s because people will list the decade of the watch (e.g. 70s, 80s) if they don't know the specific year. Hence why there are localised peaks at 1970, 1980, 1990, etc. I think that explains most of it.

For Rolex, see the peaks at the 19x0 years:

Argh that makes sense!

Disposable income on luxury goods (including watches) was very different back then......................
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I think 1969 was a great year for watchmaking, particularly as the likes of Zenith, Breitling, Heuer and Seiko were all rushing to be the first to release an automatic chronograph.