closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Nissan Leaf. Anyone know what it's like to drive ?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

New Nissan Leaf. Anyone know what it's like to drive ?

I'm seriously considering buying a new Nissan Leaf. I don't make many long journeys by car these days and was curious to know whether any members here have experience of this car or similar electric cars.

Brendan

I drive an E-nv200 which is Nissan's van based on the Leaf running gear.

I love it; it's quiet, refined (for a van) easy to drive and incredibly cheap to run. It costs me less than a fiver a week in electricity for around 10k miles per year.

The new Leaf has just been unveiled with a larger battery (more range) and there'll be an even larger battery next year.

Unless you can get an amazing deal on the current one it's worth waiting until the new one is available early 2018.

I think Nissan still offer four day test drives which would I'd certainly recommend.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 11th September 2017 at 09:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I love it; it's quiet, refined (for a van) easy to drive and incredibly cheap to run. It costs me less than a fiver a week in electricity for around 10k miles per year.

The new Leaf has just been unveiled with a larger battery (more range) and there'll be an even larger battery next year.

Unless you can get an amazing deal on the current one it's worth waiting until the new one is available early 2018.
    I get the impression there's always a better model next year. That's going to be the way with PEV at the moment.

Remember to factor in the depreciation when working out the running costs. I did the maths... doing 16K a year and 99% of that a 40 miles a day commute I was really tempted but then I worked out the 'real' running costs and the fact I'd still need a second 'normal' car and it simply didn't make sense. It might for you... I'm just saying add all the factors up.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I get the impression there's always a better model next year. That's going to be the way with PEV at the moment.

Remember to factor in the depreciation when working out the running costs. I did the maths... doing 16K a year and 99% of that a 40 miles a day commute I was really tempted but then I worked out the 'real' running costs and the fact I'd still need a second 'normal' car and it simply didn't make sense. It might for you... I'm just saying add all the factors up.
    There's always been a better model next year since the invention of the motor car but the new Leaf was unveiled on 6th of this month.

Obviously you need to do the maths but the OTR price is generally far less than the RRP. Having said that, I'd certainly be looking at leasing/pcp on any new EV or picking up a second hand one a couple of years old which has taken the hit already.

Master
    The reviews of it thus far seem positive, and the range certainly promises to be good - up to 230 miles with the 60kwh battery. OK, the reality may well be less than that, but if you rarely need a big range and have decent access to charging facilities, it'll be fine.

The comparisons I've seen between it and the Tesla Model 3 centre on the fact that the Nissan is a pretty humdrum hatchback and not a patch on the Tesla (speed, styling, interior) but as you'll not be able to buy an RHD Tesla Model 3 for probably three years it's a moot point.

The Nissan seems to be a good car, with a rather intriguing/odd single-pedal operation system, and even looks OK. Bit small in the rear though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    The Nissan seems to be a good car, with a rather intriguing/odd single-pedal operation system, and even looks OK. Bit small in the rear though.
    Can you expand on this? I just did a quick google search and the images that come up suggest it is a two pedal operating system. How would a single pedal work?

I understood that the single pedal driving refers to the ability to do this rather than that it has one pedal. The regen braking means that the brakes apply when you release the accelerator. I had a BMW i3 for two years which did the same. I very rarely used the brake pedal as I soon learned timing when to release the accelerator. Once I was fully used to the car I could exit a motorway at 75mph and slow to a perfect stop at the end of the slip road without touching the brake pedal.

I test-drove a Leaf last Autumn, and I was blown away.

Sorry. I'll get my coat. I am actually interested in this thread as I am beginning to think that I could use an electric car for most of my driving, just using the Riley for longer distance stuff.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Thank you for your replies.
    I will test drive one in a few days and report back.

Brendan

Master
    We owned a 64 plate leaf for 2 years.

If you are referring to the current 100 mile range model then they make a fantastic 2nd car (or only car if you never do more than about 80 miles round trip with no charging) I'd avoid buying new and / or battery leasing. Find a well cared for 2 or 3 year old example as the initial depreciation is horrifying (we had a new one on pcp for 2 years, cost before grants etc was £30+k and nissan valued it at £6k after 2 years with 21k miles on it and FNSH, GFV was £12k so we told them to take it back). Buying used to avoid this makes a hell of a lot of sense if the other factors line up.

The new 250-300 mile range version is not yet available (i think) but if this is going to be your only car then it might be worth waiting. Again I suspect the depreciation will be horrifying as 1) it's a nissan and 2) EV's aren't fully trusted yet as people equate their phone battery which dies after 2 years with the car battery that will last at least a decade and in all probability much longer..

Personally until EV's are accepted i'd buy approved used from a dealer with warranty to avoid the depreciation and laugh all the way to the bank as you quarter or better your 'fuel' costs.

As for the driving experience, the acceleration up to about 40 is eye opening, they'll do 100mph (indicated) if you rag them and cost an extra £20 on you leccy bil a month to run. Steering and handling is no worse than a mid size people carrier but they are weighty cars and the regenerative braking takes a bit of getting used to. Reasonably practical but deep and odd shaped boot might be a disadvantage - it has a step where the seats fold so not flat at all. Comfy inside, reasonable toys or you can pay for more. It's a car, nothing special really other than the take off acceleration and low cost to run. This was always it's strength.
    Oh and the energy monitor quickly disabuses you of the notion that turning off the heating and radio will increase range very much.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I test-drove a Leaf last Autumn, and I was blown away.

Sorry. I'll get my coat. I am actually interested in this thread as I am beginning to think that I could use an electric car for most of my driving, just using the Riley for longer distance stuff.
    It's about time you branch out.

(I'll also get my coat..)

Master
    I've also got a leaf for a couple years now. Got it used (definitely the way to go) and it's our daily driver around town. You will need to get a charging point installed at home to make it really useful. Range is so so. I probably get 60-70 miles on a full charge and less in winter, but we don't take it on long journeys so that's fine with us.

Overall it's a very practical car - very spacious for 5 adults. Another member has mentioned the odd boot, but versus the competition it's actually a decent size and one of the few that can fit in a stroller (key factor for us). Driving experience is really simple and easy, and of course the instant torque/acceleration is fun! Can't see us ever going back to a petrol car now.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

I was told in the Nissan garage that they have a scheme to borrow an internal combustion engine car for long journeys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Oh definitely the boot is big it's just an odd shape, I guess from the battery placement.

Nissan do indeed offer 2 weeks of 'free' (you pay the insurance) car rental (usually a Nissan Note) if you need to make longer journeys.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I think Nissan still offer four day test drives which would I'd certainly recommend.
    What is the current range like ? may wait until next year and have a nosey

I'm pretty near the full weight limit which will obviously reduce range but I've never had less than 65 miles. On hot sunny days I've seen eighty miles, cold and wet reduces it considerably.
    It's also important to keep your tyre pressures up as lower pressure increases drag and therefore reduces range. The flip side of this is you can see very quickly if you've a slow puncture.

There has been talk of a 60kwhr version to replace the current 24kwhr model. This will give 2 1/2 times the current range.

Craftsman
    the range buggers it up for me , if i could get 180 mile as a round trip i would be sniffing round this to potter about in

If you need it for 180 miles then you'd be struggling at the moment unless there was a convenient rapid charger along the way even if you could charge at your destination.

If/when the 60kwhr version becomes available you should be ok, particularly if you could charge at your destination.
    My longest trip was 100 miles but I spent five hours at my destination which was enough to fully recharge the battery on a standard 3 pin socket.

Of course another option depending on how often you make that particular trip is to hire a diesel van for that journey.
    It's all a matter of analysing if/how it can work for you and whether you can make any necessary compromises.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 12th September 2017 at 11:00.

Craftsman
    the longest is 80 mile there and 80 mile back and no charger there so its a bit of a sod . Shame as it would be a definite option when it can be done