closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How can I give some land away?

How can I give some land away?

I have some lock-up garages. Attached to them is a tract of land, quite steeply sloping, maybe ¼ acre. It adjoins the local allotment plots.
    To say that it is overgrown would be like saying that the Antarctic is a bit nippy.
    It would, after clearing, fencing, and terracing, make a useful allotment. I can help with clearance work.
    Its status with the local authority is unclear, and I am unwilling to rattle their cage too much. I own the freehold.
    If a fit young couple living local wanted it I would happily give it to them to develop as an allotment, or maybe a miniature ski slope.
    I approached the allotment society but they are daunted by the amount of clearance required.
    I was musing on how to make contact with likely interested parties, and it suddenly dawned on me that the crisis-solving powers of the assembled TZUK cognoscenti would make small work of drawing up a list of sensible suggestions.
    Off you go lads.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't give it away. Maybe let it to somebody free of charge?

Master
    Have you a local scout group or may be of use to them for either growing things or having a fire on etc.
    Otherwise we have several local charities that cater for disabled people and have gardens and allotments they work on, I'm sure you would have similar in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I wouldn't give it away. Maybe let it to somebody free of charge?
    Exactly this.

Hello

People are always looking for somewhere to grow stuff. There must be a group locally. Offer it to them and I'm sure they'd sort you out with some produce!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Give away land??!!!!!............ Just let it out free.

mike

I have no wish to retain possession of this land. It is in a broadly residential area, and I would very much like it to be owned by someone living close by so that it will be in the hands of persons with vested interests in its upkeep.
    I have no descendants and when I die if I have made no provision it will end up with the Ducky of Lancaster a.k.a. Liz.
    The garages I can sell; the land I doubt I could sell. I see no incentive for anyone to undertake the hard work of clearing it (albeit with my assistance) unless it were as owner.
    Having been rebuffed by the allotment association, my thoughts include approaching the National Allotment Society, round-robin to nearby residents, or maybe Men's Sheds Association.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fine. If you insist, I'll take it :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Actually, if you are serious, can you PM me details. My sister works for the NSPCC and is based in Manchester. I don't know if it's something they could use for projects with kids but I could put the details her way.

I was about to suggest something else, however what about local dogs trust/shelter, I'm sure they can use a spare ground nearby..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I will bear these suggestions in mind, but tbh the plot has Local Area Involvement written all over it. Access wouldn't be brilliant, nearby parking is limited but possible, and access would be best gained from an adjacent footpath.
    I am going to see the Men in Sheds guys tomorrow. They will probably want to see a plan, so if I prepare one from Google earth I will post it on here.
    My best scenario would be for it to become a small fenced-in sloping terraced allotment garden.
    I am unsure about any planning authority involvement/requirement. I doubt it is classified as wilderness, and don't want to rattle the Planning Office cage if I can help it.

You must have a local permaculture group. Im sure they would be very interested.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Diggers and Dreamers have a Facebook page.Always people looking for plots cheap/free.

That looks possible; I will research further.

Allotments are generally controlled by the local authority. If you have a community council or parish council it's likely it will be down to them.
    As others have said offer the land for a nominal annual cost on a long lease on condition it's cleared and used as a local amenity.

Master
    Why not leave it as is. It must be a refuge to wildlife of all varieties.

It is indeed a wildlife refuge, and if I can persuade a local resident to take ownership so that it can be left thus I will do.

I just don't want Liz to get her hands on it - she has enough land as it is.

No point leasing it as ownership would not be transferred away from me.
    Last edited by unclealec; 10th September 2017 at 17:16.

If no one wants it you could divide it in 1 foot square lots and sell them for £1 to the members of the forum. The spread of ownership would make any challenge more difficult to deal with.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    If you can't get the local Allotment Society to take it and it's roughly south facing, Chateau Manchester! Plant some vines on it and Bob's your uncle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    If you can't get the local Allotment Society to take it and it's roughly south facing, Chateau Manchester! Plant some vines on it and Bob's your uncle.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We need a bit more global warming before I can launch Chateau Middleton.
    I'll ask Donald if he can help.

Craftsman
    If you have a local church I'm sure a note via the local parish magazine will find someone or a group who would love your generosity .
    What a lovely gesture , good luck . I wish I was nearer as I would find this challenge of finding a new owner very rewarding

Cheers Norbert.
    The Church Commissioners own the adjacent allotments; they don't want the job of clearing the land.
    I have a couple of calls scheduled for tomorrow; I will keep you all posted.
    As an interesting aside, the land overlooks Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, built by decree of Liz 1 in 1580something. It is separated from it by a stream on which can be seen dippers, kingfishers, and snipe, and in it some surprisingly large brown trout, though I am not brave enough to try to eat one. And no, I don't own the fishing rights!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If no one wants it you could divide it in 1 foot square lots and sell them for £1 to the members of the forum. The spread of ownership would make any challenge more difficult to deal with.
    Genius.

We could use the land to build a den for future Mcr GTGs.

Sorry Kirk, over ½ mile to the nearest cask beer.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Sorry Kirk, over ½ mile to the nearest cask beer.
    Useless land. You should offer it to North Korea for weapons testing.

Napalm would come in handy. Or Agent Orange.

Sales Corner, simples.

Craftsman
    I'd leave nature it's own little haven.

Agreed, but I still want someone local to the land to have ownership.
    No point in me owning it, even less point it going to the Ducky of Lancaster.

Craftsman
    Cheers Norbert.
    The Church Commissioners own the adjacent allotments; they don't want the job of clearing the land.
    As an interesting aside, the land overlooks Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, built by decree of Liz 1 in 1580something. It is separated from it by a stream on which can be seen dippers, kingfishers, and snipe, and in it some surprisingly large brown trout, though I am not brave enough to try to eat one. And no, I don't own the fishing rights!
    Sounds like an idilic little haven, I can't believe when you are trying to give somebody something they are not making anymore that they put hurdles in the way .
    There must be somebody willing and positive who could make this area special , even if it was for him or herself .
    Advert in the local paper shop if there isn't a parish newsletter or a word to the Editor of the local paper with your dilemma .... bound to get a result .
    Good luck

Master
    It is indeed a wildlife refuge, and if I can persuade a local resident to take ownership so that it can be left thus I will do.

I just don't want Liz to get her hands on it - she has enough land as it is.

No point leasing it as ownership would not be transferred away from me.
    I'm 15minutes away Alec & could potentially support this.
    Always happy to see you, if you fancy a afternoon of showing me round & maybe an odd ale afterwards?

The National Allotment Association are on the case.

Offer it to the local Wildlife Trust - I am sure there will be one near by. They have the necessary skills/ resources to look after it.

Given the slope, I am not sure about a allotments, plus you also have to consider access.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think the WT get out of bed for ¼ acre.
    Allotment sounds good, though muchos terracing would be needed, though there is a strip of level ground about the size of two cricket pitches adjacent to the existing allotments that is level. Could be a split cultivate/wildlife haven possibility.
    My main concern is to find the right person to take it over.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to introduce a note of caution, you'd know the value of your estate, but if you were to give away the land, even free, if your estate is above a certain total value, which could be between £325,000 and £850,000 depending on your circumstances, the land would be considered part of your estate and would be formally valued at the current market value when calculating your terminal estate. If this exceeds your nil rate tax band, then the owner of the gift would be taxed at 40% of the nominal value of the land. However, there is a taper on this, after three years, the tax payable begins to reduce and after seven years the tax payable reduces to zero.

Sadly, I'm painfully up to speed on this having just helped sort out my mother's estate. It all adds up and gets complicated quickly. I'm sure land in Berkshire is slightly pricier, but the potential for unpleasant shocks is basically the same.

Her Britannic Majesty holds all the cards. And the table.

To be fair to M4tt, he hasn't met me.
    I am the only person I know who is in negative equity despite not having a mortgage.

Update:
    The woodland thread reminded me of this.
    I have sold the land and the lock-up garages on it to a local man who has a landscape gardening business and is turning the land into a nursery and the garages into storage for his equipment. Part of the land is unworkable and is to be left as a wildlife haven.
    I am a happy bunny.

Good result! Less stress :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    What a great outcome.

A marvellous resolution!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Cheers Norbert.

Now you caught my attenttion Alec...any chance to let me sample any of these brown trout (to catch, not eat) ? Feel free to PM me ....

Craftsman
    Great outcome - Glad it worked out for all parties!