closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any love for the new TVR ?

Master
    The styling does have some links to TVRs of old - which would have looked fantastic 10 years ago but is not really cutting edge now. Still, it is a reasonably attractive design and they are using a proven engine package if they haven't interfered too much. Add a 7 year warranty, lifetime RAC Recovery and HomeStart, take £15k off the price and it looks promising.
    I'm out, but if the market is there they will sell a few to the diehards.

Apprentice
    I like it and applaude TVR for retaining a car in the market. The front doesnt quite do it for me, but i am sure that it will be a sucess.

Master
    There has been so much hype about TVR over the past couple of years that the reveal was bound to disappoint some.

Its not not for me, I'm afraid even if I could afford it (which I can't). Not keen on the styling and too much money given it's rivals.

I'd far rather have an F Type of a 911 for that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    There has been so much hype about TVR over the past couple of years that the reveal was bound to disappoint some.

Its not not for me, I'm afraid even if I could afford it (which I can't). Not keen on the styling and too much money given it's rivals.

I'd far rather have an F Type of a 911 for that amount.
    An Alfa 4C is top of my list to replace my TVR......

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    Really?!

Master
    Which TVR have you got?

Master
    Surprised at this because every review I've read of them suggests they are crap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I take your point but the 90's Griff was launched over 20 years ago and was about £38k if I recall correctly. Maybe not quite the equivalent of £90k now but not so far off, for hopefully a better equipped car (if not quite so raw, he added wistfully...).
    The first Of the 90's Griffs were 4.0, 4.3 and 4.3BV. The 4.0 was around £24k at launch, but quickly sold at a premium due to short supply.

Late 93 saw the arrival of the 5.0, and I believe this was around £28k at that time, but again they sold second hand for a fair bit more.

£90k is way to rich for my taste... I'll be sticking with the same engine in this, at £35k on the road

My last Griff...

Last edited by Enoch; 9th September 2017 at 22:31.

@Enoch, thanks for the corrections and clarifications.

That is a cracking Griff and a gorgeous colour. 4.3 by any chance? I had a 5.0 which I loved but I drove a friend's 4.3 and really liked the engine.

Master
    @Enoch, thanks for the corrections and clarifications.

That is a cracking Griff and a gorgeous colour. 4.3 by any chance? I had a 5.0 which I loved but I drove a friend's 4.3 and really liked the engine.
    Cheers....

I had an original 4.3BV in Mica Blue, then a 5.0 in Kingfisher Blue, and then the one above, which is a Renault colour but I'm not sure what. It was was originally a 4.3, but as pictured above it's sporting a 6.0 LS Corvette engine and Tremac 6 speed box.

It had 450bhp and 450 ft/lbs of torque and weighed in at 1100kg... I did an 11.5 second run at 126 mph at Avon park, without even trying....😈👍

I thought I recognised that number plate! Legendary TVR.

For what it's worth my brother got to see it at the Goodwood revival on Friday and he said, "looks divide but it does sound awesome." Late Griffiths sold for around £40K List (+Options) in 1998, which would equate to £66K in today's money. Do take into account that the specification and therefor cost of parts and overall design is much better and more complex than the model it replaces. So you have to ask is, it worth the extra £24K, only the test drives/reviews will reveal that I guess.

I don't like the wheels, the price, or the panel gaps.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I do agree with this: the wheels don't belong on that car at all.

My heart says yes, my head says F-type.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If it laps the Ring in sub 8 minutes then it's not to shabby.
    May I invoke May's law, that's the last thing it needs to do well.

I saw it in the flesh at Goodwood and it looks nice and the body chassis construction (Gordon Murray input) is very interesting.

But 90k?
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 11th September 2017 at 11:43.

Definitely a ten-pinter.

Not for me I'm afraid. Interior looks awful and those exhausts are just gimmicky and impractical. They normally come out the back for a reason. You'd have to have one money than sense to take this over a Porsche, F Type or even an Exige S

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As much as I like the F-type, it's one seriously heavy car.

I'm quite keen on the new TVR, lightweight and fairly big power. The styling isn't quite to my taste and I'll hold out for a convertible version.

My dad bought a Griff 500 new back in 1995, then a 420 SEAC and I owned a 4.5 Chimaera in 2006.

£90k is strong money but that's also the price of the new Exige 380 Cup - just look at used Sagaris prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Not for me I'm afraid. Interior looks awful and those exhausts are just gimmicky and impractical. They normally come out the back for a reason. You'd have to have one money than sense to take this over a Porsche, F Type or even an Exige S
    To be fair there is a reason they come out of the side - airflow under the car is less disturbed enabling increased ground effect, Gordon Murray knows a thing or two about car design.

Master
    Did Gordon Murray actually design the car? I know TVR are using his iStream process to build it, but that's not entirely the same thing.

Serious car with a deadly serious price. Hopefully it's not made from left over Mondeo parts this time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Did Gordon Murray actually design the car? I know TVR are using his iStream process to build it, but that's not entirely the same thing.
    From the horses mouth
    https://youtu.be/7bz4lm9D4OI

I test drove an F-Type convertible. I'm 6ft and under 12 stone and didn't fit in it comfortably. The dealer warned I might not but I was still surprised.

My old Griff on the other hand was designed to fit Peter Wheeler who was about 6' 5" so very accommodating.

I test drove an F-Type convertible. I'm 6ft and under 12 stone and didn't fit in it comfortably. The dealer warned I might not but I was still surprised.

My old Griff on the other hand was designed to fit Peter Wheeler who was about 6' 5" so very accommodating.
    Strange - I'm a shade over 6ft and a shade over 12 stone (cough!) and I was very comfy in the F-Type convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    But that's part and parcel of a TVR!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Strange - I'm a shade over 6ft and a shade over 12 stone (cough!) and I was very comfy in the F-Type convertible.
    Same here old fruit.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Same here old fruit.
    I must just be a funny shape :)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    But that's part and parcel of a TVR!

R
    Indeed, the water that's leaked in at the top has to get out somewhere!

I take on board the new Supra similarities, I wonder if the grill is a little gaping and dull... but irrespective of any of this; I bloody love it and love how TVR are returning as a marque.

TVR are the quintessential British sports car, sometimes flawed but masterpieces none-the-less. Bravo.

I was particularly impressed by the door shut gaps, it's good to see this lot can't put together a car either. I don't think the exhausts will make it past the concept.

To me it doesn't look like a TVR, I remember seeing the Griffith and Chimaera in the 1990s and thinking how good they looked. This Griffith looks like they've taken bits from other cars (that Toyota concept, wheels from the Alpine) and somehow not made a car worthy of the sum of its parts. I used to think there were two types of TVR owner: those who wanted something different to a Boxster or Elise and soon realised a TVR wasn't for them, and those who stuck with it and in many cases continue to do so. I don't get the feeling Porsche owners fail to go back with such finality as people who have bitten off more than they can chew with a TVR, and it must limit the number of potential customers. £90k is £5k short of a 911 GTS and I really wonder how many people will go for the TVR. If it were me I'd try it but there are too many question marks over the whole package (notwithstanding the fact I don't like the styling) that won't be resolved until they've been around for a year or two, magazines have given their opinions and potential buyers have seen if the things are going to be reliable or fall apart. I'd genuinely rather have many other cars and throw some money at making them exactly what I want. Think Noble M400, NSX, 911 and so on. Actually if it were me I'd buy a fully restored Austin-Healey 100 or 3000 and have an alloy engine built up with well over 200bhp, a Toyota gearbox and meaty brake system and go out and have a lot of fun. I'd even take a tuned Exige and a big wad of change. Sure, this new car has a reliable engine and may well be beautifully built but at that price level for a weekend car you could buy an F430. Or have £15k change from an Elemental RP1. Or a Nomad plus a big wad of change. Or even an LCC Rocket!

If it were £45k I think it would sell like hot cakes.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    To be fair there is a reason they come out of the side - airflow under the car is less disturbed enabling increased ground effect, Gordon Murray knows a thing or two about car design.
    I dare say, but Ferrari, Porsche, Maclaren etc seem to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I dare say, but Ferrari, Porsche, Maclaren etc seem to manage.
    I think they "manage" by using the upper surfaces to generate downforce. Extracting downforce from the underbody of a road car doesn't seem to be a "thing", and apart from a front splitter and a largely decorative rear diffuser there's not much evidence that any manufacturer has even attempted to explore the possibilities, probably because the undercarriage generates too much turbulence and would take too much effort to clean up, and enclosing exhausts and catalytic converters without inducing some serious heat soak is difficult.

Although Adrian Newey was working on a prototype with Aston Martin. I can't imagine a Newey design that doesn't use every available surface to gain some aerodynamic benefit.

I would be interested to see if Gordon Murray has shaped the underside of the TVR to find some downforce.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Regardless - I'd be slightly more concerned about the strong whiff of unburnt fuel pervading my surroundings should I happen to have the windows open on start up & the prospect of inhaling copious exhaust fumes every time I approached a toll barrier or car park entrance.

Downforce, no doubt can still be achieved to acceptable levels with an exhaust that exits at the rear.

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Regardless - I'd be slightly more concerned about the strong whiff of unburnt fuel pervading my surroundings should I happen to have the windows open on start up & the prospect of inhaling copious exhaust fumes every time I approached a toll barrier or car park entrance.

Downforce, no doubt can still be achieved to acceptable levels with an exhaust that exits at the rear.

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app
    I expect an update within a year or two with the exhaust exits actually in the cockpit for that full-on TVR experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I think they "manage" by using the upper surfaces to generate downforce. Extracting downforce from the underbody of a road car doesn't seem to be a "thing", and apart from a front splitter and a largely decorative rear diffuser there's not much evidence that any manufacturer has even attempted to explore the possibilities, probably because the undercarriage generates too much turbulence and would take too much effort to clean up
    Not true, I'm afraid.

All modern Lotuses have got flat, ali floors. This helps to clean up the airflow and generate downforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Not true, I'm afraid.

All modern Lotuses have got flat, ali floors. This helps to clean up the airflow and generate downforce.
    A flat floor does not, in itself, generate downforce, although tidying up the turbulence under the car may reduce lift.

Reducing lift is as good as generating downforce, innit?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Reducing lift is as good as generating downforce, innit?!

It's a benefit, certainly. But it's not the same. And you can't generate downforce from a flat floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's a benefit, certainly. But it's not the same. And you can't generate downforce from a flat floor.
    Doesn't the flat floor feed a clean airflow to the rear diffuser, isn't this what generates the downforce.

Saw it at Goodwood only last Friday (or was it Saturday? It was a boozy few days...)

I think the overall design is great; it is modern and aggressive enough that it thrills, whilst remaining in good taste.

They have wisely chosen an off-the-shelf Ford V8. That engine has been developed with an eye to appeasing global emissions legislations, and also with a view to selling hundreds of thousands of Mustangs in the group-litigation friendly (and home-turf reputation dependant) United States. As exciting as a home-grown straight-six? No, but that was done before with the Speed Six engine, which really did have its problems. It's not like the Ford V8 hasn't been breathed on by Cosworth, either.

Furthermore, having Gordon Murray put his name to the project would act as quite the confidence boost were I a prospective customer - the man has achieved one or two things before.

The basic set-up seems entirely meet and right: mid-front V8, six speed manual, rear wheel drive, modest proportions. The point about proportions might be the most important; it seems sports cars by all but Porsche and Aston Martin are (in many cases well) over 1.9m in body width. That is too much for a sports car intended for use on narrow British roads.

The interior looked good too, though the air vents and other protrusions do seem a little much.

The chap behind it is also approaching it in the right way: as an enthusiastic amateur with an eye to making some good cars, rather than a quick buck.

I eagerly await its debut in the press, and next year at Le Mans. (Would make a good reason to go for the first time.)

Also: I think c.£90k is approximately the minimum price to a) allow the project to clean its nose b) allow for a sufficiently exciting and bespoke product. I'm sure they could have sold it for less had they done something half-arsed, but then they'd be criticised for that, too. Disregarding track specials, I believe all other cheaper sports cars are either from larger parent companies (Alfa 4C, Toyota 86), or are older designs updated (Exige V6). This is a small company effectively starting from scratch, other than a modest but loyal (and vocal) following.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 13th September 2017 at 22:13.

Master
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...he-mclaren-f1/

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12229445/the-new-tvr-rocks-because-it-was-engineered-by-the-father-of-the-mclaren-f1/