closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Valuations

Craftsman

Valuations

I don't usually put my watches on my insurance nut I have just brought a Breitling hurricane that I can't ignore. I brought it new tax free from abroad and have receipt. However I have called the contents insurance and because of the value the want it valued. I advised I have the receipt and it's only been on the market for a month so how can they argue.

Who do people use to get a valuation and how much. I would prefer not to send it off and to get an official valuation as cheap as possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks

I would think a replacement quotation from an AD would suffice?

Master
    I take my watches down to a really good AD/jewellers near me, they usual have the watch a few week then I pick it up and get a replacement valuation they also keep a copy on file incase I lose mine

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I take my watches down to a really good AD/jewellers near me, they usual have the watch a few week then I pick it up and get a replacement valuation they also keep a copy on file incase I lose mine
    Why do they usually have the watch for a few weeks ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

I thought the same! A few minutes should be enough!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    To be honest I've never questioned it, I always just assumed it was due to work load, I'm going to ask next time now

Master
    To be honest I've never questioned it, I always just assumed it was due to work load, I'm going to ask next time now
    Commonly, it is because they simply don't have someone sufficiently qualified on the staff and one way or another this causes you a delay.

Ask if they do have on their staff a Member or Fellow of the Institute of Registered Valuers.

If they don't, do they send your items away to be valued, or wait for a valuer to come to the store to do their customer valuations?

Those of us who do employ MIRV and FIRVs can offer a normal turnaround of a couple of days, or same day for an express premium.

Find an IRV valuer > http://www.jewelleryvaluers.org/Find-a-valuer

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 7th September 2017 at 19:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Commonly, it is because they simply don't have someone sufficiently qualified on the staff.

Ask if they have on their staff a Member or Fellow of the Institute of Registered Valuers.

If they don't, do they send your items away to be valued, or wait for a valuer to come to the store to do their customer valuations?

Haywood
    Good point but they do have staff that is a member to the above but ,possibly only works part time or something I guess

Master
    Good point but they do have staff that is a member to the above but ,possibly only works part time or something I guess
    Maybe..... Many of them sub-contract the work but present themselves to clients as if they themselves employ the MIRV / FIRV. Doesn't really matter I suppose, but it does amuse me how many of the supposedly poshest or most trusted names don't actually have such qualified jewellers among their staff.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Maybe..... Many of them sub-contract the work but present themselves to clients as if they themselves employ the MIRV / FIRV. Doesn't really matter I suppose, but it does amuse me how many of the supposedly poshest or most trusted names don't actually have such qualified jewellers among their staff.

H
    I use David M Robinson for valuations. They charge £25 per watch (Fraser Hart wanted £50 per item). On one occasion they gave me the watch back with 2 copies of the valuation certificate within 10 minutes. Another time they returned the watches after a few minutes of inspection but posted the certificates to my home after a couple of days.