closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A bit of Boxster-related advice

A bit of Boxster-related advice

A few years ago, Foxy was trying to prise a rather nice red Sub from my vice-like grip. He wasn't having much success, to be honest, but then he came up with what proved to be his masterstroke. "I'll give you a Porsche for it", he said.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the car (a 986 Boxster S from 2000, which certainly hasn't increased in value like that bloody watch has) enormously, to the extent that I've recently spent quite a significant sum having years of accumulated bits and bobs (a few of them inherited) on the bodywork done. My intention is to hang onto it now until I bugger off to Tenerife in a few years, and having made that decision I'd quite like to "upgrade" the roof from the current plastic "karate-chop" window to one with a glass replacement. This would mean that I can enjoy open top driving throughout the year, and would also stop me from repeating my previous misdemeanour of applying the chop at sub-10 degree temperatures. That was a costly mistake, I can tell you.

Does anyone know if this can be done/has been done and - if so - who might take it on for me?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2017 at 12:40.

Hi Tony
    Having had a couple of 986 Boxsters, I know that the 986.1 (plastic rear screen) and 986.2 (heated glass screen) had different roofs which obviously folded slightly differently - you can't fold a glass screen like the flexible plastic one. It is possible to fit a glass rear screen in a 986.1 but it's not a like for like replacement of the screen and as you point out you need a whole new soft top roof.

I've used these people for my old 'classic' (MGF) - maybe worth a try ?

http://www.car-hood.co.uk/986-boxste...s-upgrade-h809

That looks promising - thank you, I'll give them a call.

Check out these guys as well

http://www.carhood.com/

Very well regarded on the Boxster forum, going from memory it is £695 all in with glass screen and fit while you wait

Another great steer - thank you.

Not sure where in the country you are but I used these guys a while back and they were excellent.

http://www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk/Hoods_Main/Rear_Window/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Check out these guys as well

http://www.carhood.com/

Very well regarded on the Boxster forum, going from memory it is £695 all in with glass screen and fit while you wait
    When I replaced the roof on my 986 Boxster S a number of years, this was the company I chose after a bit of research.

It was a revelation with the heated glass window and no more 'chopping!

Cheers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Cheers guys!
    Didn't Stoatie's mate sort you out with advice earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Can't remember... then again, i can't remember much these days.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Boxa.net have a sponsor on there, fitted in half a day, choice of colour and a discounted price, well worth a look!

Carhood warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Boxa.net have a sponsor on there, fitted in half a day, choice of colour and a discounted price, well worth a look!

Carhood warehouse
    Good info re the discount, thank you - I've registered on the forum and had already emailed Carhood Warehouse.

As a matter of interest, what's the view on a beige hood with Zenith Blue bodywork?

Master
    As a matter of interest, what's the view on a beige hood with Zenith Blue bodywork?
    Simply....

Haha... looks like I'm going for navy mohair, fortunately

Well, that's it then - navy mohair, glass window, due to be fitted on Friday week. Many thanks for the responses, and for the heads-up in respect of the Boxa.net discount!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Well, that's it then - navy mohair, glass window, due to be fitted on Friday week. Many thanks for the responses, and for the heads-up in respect of the Boxa.net discount!
    I'm thinking of getting one for mine, just unsure whether to get it in red......

Apprentice
    OP - I own a 2001 Boxster S and love the car.

I have the plastic rear screen and have to get out and karate chop the plastic to ensure that it doesnt crack or become damaged in the hood opening process.
    I thought about replacing the plastic for glass. As someone has already mentioned - carhood warehouse are good at this. But beware. As the glass will not fold, the roof itelf needs to be replaced or can be modified.
    What happens is that the glass area becomes much smaller than the plastic due to it not being able to fold. What you end up with is a wierd looking post box style window. I think that it spoils the look of the car and may (IMHO) even decrease the rearward visability further.

Boxanet is worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    She most certainly did, and I know she is still more than pleased with the new roof that was put on her Boxster.

Happy to ask her which company did it and send you the details Tony if you're still looking?

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Amon View Post
    OP - I own a 2001 Boxster S and love the car.

I have the plastic rear screen and have to get out and karate chop the plastic to ensure that it doesnt crack or become damaged in the hood opening process.
    I thought about replacing the plastic for glass. As someone has already mentioned - carhood warehouse are good at this. But beware. As the glass will not fold, the roof itelf needs to be replaced or can be modified.
    What happens is that the glass area becomes much smaller than the plastic due to it not being able to fold. What you end up with is a wierd looking post box style window. I think that it spoils the look of the car and may (IMHO) even decrease the rearward visability further.

Boxanet is worth a visit.
    Thank you - all upside and downsides have been fully considered, and I understand of course, that the glass window is smaller. On the plus side, visibility is far greater when comparing glass to plastic.

For me, the deciding factor is the lure of year-round motoring with the roof down. I grew up driving convertibles in the winter, protected against the coldby hat, scarf and gloves (and a good heater). Not being able to do that is spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    She most certainly did, and I know she is still more than pleased with the new roof that was put on her Boxster.

Happy to ask her which company did it and send you the details Tony if you're still looking?

Rich.
    I completely forgot that conversation, Rich, until Alan mentioned it the other day. You're quite right, but I've placed the order now and wouldn't want to cause the supplier a problem through cancelling.

Carhood Warehouse seem to be very well-respected, so I'm pretty comfortable opting to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one for mine, just unsure whether to get it in red......
    I really wanted camel, but they don't do it at CW. In the end I opted to go with zero risk in terms of quality and my secondary colour. I was very tempted to look further afield, though.

All done, and I'm very happy

Looking good, great upgrade that eliminates the odd looks you get having an electric roof that you have to get out the car to 'chop'

If you ever need the bracket that holds the 6 CD player under the front bonnet, let me know, I have one doing nothing

Enjoy, great looking car.

Looks great Tony - Tina is very happy with hers and of course can now enjoy roof down motoring during the winter months!

Quote Originally Posted by K9david View Post
    Looking good, great upgrade that eliminates the odd looks you get having an electric roof that you have to get out the car to 'chop'

If you ever need the bracket that holds the 6 CD player under the front bonnet, let me know, I have one doing nothing

Enjoy, great looking car.
    Thank you, and thank you (although I'm not sure what bracket you mean )

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    Looks great Tony - Tina is very happy with hers and of course can now enjoy roof down motoring during the winter months!
    Thanks - I can't wait to get that autumnal sun/breeze, actually, although I can't operate the roof for a week!

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Looks good Tony, I look forward to seeing the old gal on Sunday mate .

Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Looks good Tony, I look forward to seeing the old gal on Sunday mate .
    The car's immaculate, Bryan - just had new front and rear bumpers as well as the roof, in fact.

Sorry its a bracket that fits in the front boot towards the back that holds the optional 6CD player.

It may that the car is prewired for a 6cd and there is a plastic cover over where the cable is. To fit the 6CD player you remove the cover and replace it with this surprisingly large bracket to hold the surprisingly small CD player.

Out of interest if you do have the cable you can pick up off ebay/amazon a CDC/MP3/Ipod emulator (Dension/Loudlink) that uses the same connector so you can connect and play your ipod/Walkman in the car. i.e. without Bluetooth. using the CDC changer on the head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by K9david View Post
    Sorry its a bracket that fits in the front boot towards the back that holds the optional 6CD player.

It may that the car is prewired for a 6cd and there is a plastic cover over where the cable is. To fit the 6CD player you remove the cover and replace it with this surprisingly large bracket to hold the surprisingly small CD player.

Out of interest if you do have the cable you can pick up off ebay/amazon a CDC/MP3/Ipod emulator (Dension/Loudlink) that uses the same connector so you can connect and play your ipod/Walkman in the car. i.e. without Bluetooth. using the CDC changer on the head unit.
    No I don't, David, but I'll go have a look at it. Thank you!

As David points out, there is a simple way to get iPod connectivity. Your generation of Porsche is pre-CANBUS so fitting an iPod connector is a bit simpler than the later (and PCM) systems. On my second 996 years ago, I fitted a cable that I ordered from Becker (the OEM manufacturer of the CDR22 head units). That was a simple swap of the CD-changer cable rendering the CD changer inoperable but meaning an iPod would play on the CDC channel. You can still play CDs by directly sliding them into the head unit. Like a lot of Porsche-related mods, however, keeping it OEM is best in my experience.

My current 997 has PCM and the previous owner had fitted the Dension kit to provide integration to older-style iPods and iPhones. I keep an iPod classic in the glovebox connected up. It's not perfect and occasionally the head unit gets confused by what's playing or cannot keep up and display the track playing but it's not a wholly bad solution. Again, I can still play single CDs slotted into the head unit.

Thanks both. Well, I only have a single CD player, so always have to slot the CD into the head unit; however, I don't mind carrying a selection of CD's in a case, so will probably leave everything as is for now. (It doesn't help that there's no glove box, of course.)

Of course! The roof looks great, by the way.

Good call, you dont need music anyway , you have all you need with the flat 6 singing
    If you ever change your mind , PM me
    Have a great weekend with it