closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand loyalty

Master

Brand loyalty

I have seen a few threads around the "only one watch" topic, which most members here would not fancy. So how about only one manufacturer? Which would you choose if you really had to, and why?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Seiko no contest.

You've got to imagine if it was something like Rolex and you didn't have £5k you'd never own a watch! At least with Seiko if you've only got £100 you can own a cool watch and if you've got £5k you can own a lovely watch.

Can we call timefactors watches one brand? If that counts it would be them for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Seiko no contest.

You've got to imagine if it was something like Rolex and you didn't have £5k you'd never own a watch! At least with Seiko if you've only got £100 you can own a cool watch and if you've got £5k you can own a lovely watch.
    I'll go with that

Craftsman
    Probably agree with Seiko, price range all across the board and a great selection of different styles

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Can we call timefactors watches one brand? If that counts it would be them for me.

You've just got a little something on your nose there pal.

Anyway, back on topic, there's only one realistic answer, with a good quality range from less than 50 quid all the way to whatever you want to spend, in every style and shape, the answer is, of course, Citizen.

Nah, only kidding, it'd be Seiko for me.

Journeyman
    Up until recently I only wore one watch, an Omega Seamaster. So I don't have a massive collection whose variety I would miss if I was limited to one brand.
    However, I would choose IWC for one brand.
    They cover all the bases with amazing watches, great pilot watches, an unusual dive watch range, the Portuguese watches bridge a lovely gap between dress and casual and the portofino as dress watches.
    Not sure there is another brand that covers all those (though I'm happy to be proved wrong) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Up until recently I only wore one watch, an Omega Seamaster. So I don't have a massive collection whose variety I would miss if I was limited to one brand.
    However, I would choose IWC for one brand.
    They cover all the bases with amazing watches, great pilot watches, an unusual dive watch range, the Portuguese watches bridge a lovely gap between dress and casual and the portofino as dress watches.
    Not sure there is another brand that covers all those (though I'm happy to be proved wrong) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I, on the other hand, look in the same way at Omega. You could find a pilot in their vintage collection, but hardly their present priority.
    Having said that, I would be happy to choose from IWC's offering as well, just not from their divers. (also a SM owner here)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If I can flit between models whenever I like then then Rolex as I find theyre the most robust and interesting (watches to my taste) despite naysayers crying boring. Once you get into dial and print variations / tropical and assorted "damaged" dials plus bezel fading there's variety there that keeps me permanently learning.

Master
    Seiko or steinhart....... Ehh..... Seiko!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No question -- GO

Varied, gorgeous, beautifully made, almost affordable.
    Last edited by Yokel; 6th September 2017 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You've just got a little something on your nose there pal.
    OK, Rolex then! Is that better princess?

JLC for me... Even though I currently don't own one. Great history and high watchmaking skills.

Steinhart I suppose. Like others I could only afford one Rolex or Omega so that would hardly constitute loyalty. Like others, if you pick a cheaper brand you can own several at the same time. Orient came to mind, but I have never ventured past the Mako, whereas with Steinhart I have in the past owned about 10 different models.

Undoubtedly Seiko, so much variety, so much quality, at every price point.

Gotta be Seiko for me...

AP for me. Royal Oak for work, Offshore for casual, Offshore Diver for swimming and Jules for dress.

A few years ago it would have been Sinn for me. Recently they have not produced anything that has made me want to open my wallet which is a shame.
    In the last 18 months I have bought three Seiko (out of 6/7 watches) so I think I would have to go with them currently. It's bound to change in a few months though.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th September 2017 at 20:02.

Master
    To answer my own question I would go with Panerai. The only thing that they lack IMHO is a striking diver, but I hope to acquire a submersible in the near future, and that may alter my perception .

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Seiko or Bulova for me. Never been disappointed with either. Great value for money too.

Craftsman
    I did want to go with Longines, my first "proper" watch, great selection (imho) with decent prices across the range

Timex. My first watch was a Timex, over the years I've had several Expedition models which went off to Nepal and are hopefully all still going strong, have collected a bunch of '80s Data Link models and now buy them for my kids.

Master
    Casio or Citizen for me.

Master
    There is a big push so far for seiko and I have never owned one. I have a number is watches and all different brands but I think my issue is where do you start with so many choices and at what price point do you see the quality change.

Apologies if this changes the topic slightly but given Seiko is getting lots of hits I hope it's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Seiko for me, I have a few from Seiko 5 to GS Hi-Beat.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 03:17.

Master
    Rolex easily. Doubly so if you're allowed to include Tudor and Cellini under "rolex".

Master
    No one can come close to Seiko's range. So if you were going to have to only ever buy from brand.. it's a no brainer.

I would probably say Seiko for myself because it's what I have and for £250 it feels like it will last forever. It's been in the pool, in the sea, thrown downstairs. Its only off my wrist when I sleep. With the quality for the price they have earned a fan for life in me

Breitling for me.
    This whole aeronautic theme simply appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Rolex easily. Doubly so if you're allowed to include Tudor and Cellini under "rolex".
    Cellini are Rolex.

Invicta. Or Graham.

Definitely Seiko. Have always been impressed with the quality for the money and I'm yet another fan for life...

Various Seiko 5s - all still going strong
    SKX013 - now ten years old, runs like a champ and looks like new
    SCVS013 Spirit 'Blue Spark' still going strong at +5s/day - now 7 years old
    SNE031 Solar - lovely and smallish - gets a lot of wear
    SNZH55 that runs at +3s/day now 6 years old
    SARB017 - latest addition - this one is in a class of its own.

Being interesting in vintage watches - Longines. Real quality throughout the postwar golden age, and a decent selection of reasonably priced modern watches.

Rolex or Seiko.

Craftsman
    Doesn't make any sense to me. Why would I limit myself to one company when others make beautiful watches too. That's like becoming vegetarian... ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Invicta. Or Graham.
    Looking forward to your SotC, Tony!

Master
    Boring answer, but for me it has to be Rolex, I'm currently down to one watch and it's a DJ, does both smart (not quite dress) and casual. It's also my sixth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Seiko no contest.

Spot on👍

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Cellini is a collection of Rolex watches, like the Oyster range. They definatley fall under the Rolex brand. Tudor doesn't though, that's a brand in its own right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Boring answer, but for me it has to be Rolex, I'm currently down to one watch and it's a DJ, does both smart (not quite dress) and casual. It's also my sixth
    I agree that the DJ is 'the' Rolex to have if you want one watch. Definitive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I agree that the DJ is 'the' Rolex to have if you want one watch. Definitive.
    I disagree with your agreement. for me one watch wouldn't be DJ by choice, but current finances won't stretch to a DD-36 on president bracelet

Journeyman
    If I could only choose one brand it would be Omega. They are in my price point for affordability second hand and I love the range and style.

Craftsman
    Given how long I spent researching watch brands back in 2006 and the fact that I didn't want something that is commonly counterfeited.... It would have to be Sinn.

I've really enjoyed my U2 and I have recently bought a U1000. I am considering another purchase as a "Birthday Watch" for myself. I have been looking at Bremont, having tried on a Marinemaster 2000 and a MB11 at a city centre AD, but I'm a bit wary after reading some reports of ridiculously tight crowns on the MB11 /111 and QC issues on some 2000. So.... I can see myself remaining loyal to Sinn for my next purchase, probably a EZM 9 or EZM 10..... although I do like the EZM 1.1 too.

Master
    A difficult challenge, and it depends on whether it's fantasy watch shopping or a genuinely affordable collection. Ideally I'd want a Genta-ish sports watch, something dressy, and a practical daily wearer / beater. The first two point to PP, AP, and VC, though I'd prefer a Calatrava to a Jules Audemars, and an RO to a Nautilus, none of them make beaters, and you're really looking at just one or two watches.

Rolex, Omega and Seiko give you much more choice, but I'd have to point out that Grand Seiko is now a distinct brand, so no Prospex Diver re-issue meets first Grand Seiko historical is allowed, choose GS and you're stuck with their divers and chronos. Plenty of Omegas to choose from but the prospect isn't quite thrilling somehow, while choosing Rolex is so predictable, if effective. Frankly I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A difficult challenge, and it depends on whether it's fantasy watch shopping or a genuinely affordable collection. Ideally I'd want a Genta-ish sports watch, something dressy, and a practical daily wearer / beater. The first two point to PP, AP, and VC, though I'd prefer a Calatrava to a Jules Audemars, and an RO to a Nautilus, none of them make beaters, and you're really looking at just one or two watches.

Rolex, Omega and Seiko give you much more choice, but I'd have to point out that Grand Seiko is now a distinct brand, so no Prospex Diver re-issue meets first Grand Seiko historical is allowed, choose GS and you're stuck with their divers and chronos. Plenty of Omegas to choose from but the prospect isn't quite thrilling somehow, while choosing Rolex is so predictable, if effective. Frankly I'm stumped.
    My own thoughts followed yours, in the main, but if you can park the Genta issue I think I've come up with a reasonable answer, albeit one that requires a decent budget.

Blancpain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the question indicated that you can have as many of the brands offerings as you liked?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I thought the question indicated that you can have as many of the brands offerings as you liked?
    No-one likes a smart-arse.

Master
    No-one likes a smart-arse.
    I do. It proves that someone's actually paying attention to the question. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I do. It proves that someone's actually paying attention to the question. :0)
    There was a question?

Master
    There was a question?
    Allegedly. Give me a yell if you find it.