closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tripadvisor reviews

Tripadvisor reviews

I'm not a great believer in Tripadvisor's reviews after seeing a local restaurant wave goodbye to its poor ratings by simply starting up a new listing which quickly filled up with five star reviews, all of which mentioned at least one dish from the menu. The restaurant moved up to about fifth place out of a few hundred for the area.

We're off on holiday with the in-laws later in the year, going to this place:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ean_Coast.html

The in-laws booked the place along with my wife and I left them to it but today idly looked at the reviews and noticed the rather high number of five-star reviews from people with just one contribution to their name, mentioning at least one thing they liked in particular and so on. For example:

"The most satisfying thing about it is the personal. I would suggest it to my friends due to the price/quality coefficient and satisfying service. Moreover, I would like to mention that it has entertainments for all generations"

"I like mostly the food that they provided. The beach was well. Also, I was surprised with the entertainments that they had, especially the pool and the tennis court. Generally, I'm glad that I visited this hotel."

"
    Hotel is awesome and very interesting!The best DJ i have ever seen is in this hotelAnimation team is amazingare making this hotel much more beautiful!Thank you guysso sad that we are leaving Im sure we will visit Crystal Tat Beach next year"

Interestingly the average reviews are a much more interesting read, bizarrely mostly in decent English (unlike the five-star reviews!) and almost all the reviewers have multiple reviews on Tripadvisor.

Are there people with a basic grasp of English employed to write hundreds of these reviews every day?
    "A man of little significance"

I had my own very detailed restaurant review deleted by TripAdvisor admin because the son of the PREVIOUS owner complained about what I had written about the NEW owners. It was very positive and mentioned that it was now much better under the new management.

Having spent around 20 minutes carefully writing a considered and balanced review, I was rather annoyed to then find that TA didn't even have the courtesy to notify me that my review had been deleted, or give me chance to edit whatever was causing the offence.

I certainly wont bother to write a review for TA again, that is for sure.

That said, I do still find them a useful tool - despite the obvious flaws in the system.

Master
    I've started to leave more and more TripAdvisor reviews when I go to places, if I've had a good experience I write about it, if I've had a bad experience I write about it.
    My most read and most thanked reviews are in different continents, but the most thanked was after visiting a restaurant late one evening the staff couldn't have been more helpful it was only afterwards that I went to write the review and saw the place only had two stars.
    This restaurant is near a busy road and can easily get swamped with waits for food, which staff inform you about, but people who aren't happy leave negative reviews.

Craftsman
    I use trip advisor always when booking holidays, I balance the ratings out and prefer to read the 4, 3 and 2 stars to get a fair review of the place. Saying that some folks will always moan no matter what.

Only issue with TA is that it seems to be human nature to complain or criticise but not to praise or congratulate.

Craftsman
    You always have silly reviews like complaints of small rooms, no elevator or wifi in historic properties.
    Very recent reviews can warn you if there's construction nearby or other temporary issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect those reviews in broken English from people with only one or few reviews under their belt were left by the same employee of that hotel. Ignore those reviews and focus on the others.

I always review and am honest.

I read before we book/travel and take a bit of time to read a decent number of reviews before I get a feel for what people are posting.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I find with TA when looking for food, you have to account for the BBD (Big Brown Dinner) effect:

"There was so much food - everything came with chips and rice, I was so full I was sick on way home. FIVE STARS!"
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 1st September 2017 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Any hotel that calls itself Crystal Tat tells you all you need to know!

Master
    I tend to leave more and more reviews now but generally about one one thing i.e. how good was the coffee?!

Sorry but I get sick and tired of 'coffee' cafes that have no idea about how to make a descent coffee; this is nearly always due to the staff not knowing what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Sorry but I get sick and tired of 'coffee' cafes that have no idea about how to make a descent coffee;
    Surely a 'descent' coffee would go down well?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    Sorry damn spell checker.... decent :-)

Quote Originally Posted by roondog View Post
    Baa DooM TISHHH!!!