closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longines Big Eye Chrono

I wouldn't naturally look at Longines, however that's a pretty nice looking piece, but I agree that the sub-dials messy with your brain.

Master
    I like the look of this, well done on the date and has a nice look. I think the Seiko auto chronograph are going for something similar so it represents decent value.

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Any owners as I'm contemplating a purchase?

Craftsman
    Very nice not see one in AD yet

My favourite Longines just now:

The Big Eye has more than a nod to the styling of this ancestor, and is an improvement on several fronts imho. I may well try one. I like the lack of date wheel, and it would appear that I am not fazed by nibbled numbers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Very nice not see one in AD yet
    It's a genuinely nice watch. And, as these things go, fair value. You could do a great deal worse.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It's a genuinely nice watch. And, as these things go, fair value. You could do a great deal worse.
    I like Longines my friend work in an Shop and I get 30%-40% off. Got my eye on a vhp or a heritage driver will add this one to my list stock can be hit and miss.
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 11th February 2018 at 00:39.

Tried one of these on last week. Nice, but far less special than the photos suggest. Plus, a ludicrously short strap.

It's currently £1650 in the Ernest Jones Sale.

I picked one up and it's great. It's a big watch but with a short lug to lug and the quality punches above it's weight. The L688 calibre is larger in diameter than its 7750 base so shouldn't be rattling around with a huge spacer ring. The chrono functions work well and time keeping is very good.

The strap is medium length and fits those with an average wrist size. However the 20mm lug spacing makes things easy if you've above average girth.

Grab it while you can.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Longines Big Eye Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    It's currently £1650 in the Ernest Jones Sale.

I picked one up and it's great. It's a big watch but with a short lug to lug and the quality punches above it's weight. The L688 calibre is larger in diameter than its 7750 base so shouldn't be rattling around with a huge spacer ring.

That does sound excellent value... does the L688 still wobble? I’d love one, except for the wobbling (if it does) and the strangely marked minute counter...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    That does sound excellent value... does the L688 still wobble? I’d love one, except for the wobbling (if it does) and the strangely marked minute counter...

Yeap it definitely wobbles. I can feel and hear the rotor spooling up, can even see the case wobble a bit when it really gets going.

Otherwise it seems to be a good movement.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Yeap it definitely wobbles. I can feel and hear the rotor spooling up, can even see the case wobble a bit when it really gets going.

Otherwise it seems to be a good movement.

Thanks for the reply; hope you enjoy the watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I loved these and swiftly bought one a while back. The rotor wobble had the watch whirring away and visibly moving on my wrist and it just ruined the watch for me. I took it back the next day... I’ve never had a watch with this movement before and a lesson learned.

For others this is character, but it spoiled the watch for me.

Ant

Craftsman
    That looks fantastic, really well-balanced dial!

I had thought the rotor wobble could be due to the calibre being larger than the stock 7750, but looking at Longines' movement specs it appears to not be the case.

The L688 might be related to revisions made for the larger Valgranges versions of the 7750, but it remains 30mm in diameter.

There's a lot of misinformation on line about this calibre, including saying it has a vertical clutch when it doesn't. It becomes a bit of a minefield.
    Last edited by AKM; 20th June 2019 at 09:17.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The wobble is related to the fact that the movement is uni-directional winding meaning that it spins freely in one direction when not winding the mainspring.

Nothing to do with the size of the movement or its relation the case size.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    The wobble is related to the fact that the movement is uni-directional winding meaning that it spins freely in one direction when not winding the mainspring.

Yeah, it just seems worse than my Damasko though, which also has a 7750 derived movement.

My Damasko has the Si movement with in-house rotor bearings so maybe that's why it's slicker.

It'd be useful to know how the L688 compares to a stock 7750.

Last edited by AKM; 20th June 2019 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Makes sense, even the uni-directional Miyota 9015 whirs and wobbles and that's quite slim in comparison.

PS I've always known the 7750 is unidirectional winding - I'm just looking for other explanations if the L688 is seen as a outlier with folks stating the wobble as a major reason for selling the watch on.

7750 rotor wobble is well known, but not normally a reason for selling a watch on or returning it.

I experienced it several times with standard 7750 movements. When it’s a well lubricated new movement the rotor wobble can easily shake the complete case.
    I found it more obvious on 40-41mm watches and less noticeable on massive ~44 mm+ pieces.
    Needs a bit of time to get used to, but nothing wrong with it in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app