closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lanzarote? Any advice

Lanzarote? Any advice

Have the offer of a free week on Lanzarote- just have to pay for flights..
    Anyone got any tips?
    Much to see and do?
    Cheers
    🐐

Craftsman
    Not sure there is mass amount of things to do, of course guaranteed sun, fire mountain is worth a visit, zoo was an ok day out, water park etc , most of the islands are much the same

Stick to the Montanaroja end for resort time, some of the others are a bit "Blackpool" not that there's anything wrong with Blackpool ;)

Places to visit:

Manrique's living exhibitions - there are about 12 and you can get a pass to do them all - works out cheaper
    Timanfaya national park - planet of the apes and the one with Raquel Welch were filmed there, amazing geology
    Famara beach - watch out for wind burn
    La Geria bodegas for a bit of volcanic wine

if you're hiring a car I recommend autoreisen. Cheapest by far, no hidden extras, free additional driver and new cars. About 50 quid all in for the week

Any other pointers you need, let me know, been a lot over the last 20 years.

andy

Master
    Once stayed in a villa on the top of a hill in Lanzarote - it was like being in a wind tunnel 24/7. Should be OK if you stay by the coast. Popular with wind surfers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Once stayed in a villa on the top of a hill in Lanzarote - it was like being in a wind tunnel 24/7. Should be OK if you stay by the coast. Popular with wind surfers.
    Nope ! It's always been windy when we go !

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Mate has a villa there and have been a few times other than at his,if you like the offroad buggys you can have a 1/2 or full day tour on that,i would do a visit to Cesar Manrique's place well worth it if you like that kind of stuff.

http://www.cesarmanrique.com/fundacion_i.htm

Cheap enough to eat out in Lanzarote £3 for brekkie and £10 a head upwards for dinner(cheaper if you look)as other posters have said it can get windy as its a favorite for wind surfers and now kite surfers so ideal if you fancy a shot of either of those.

They have mountain biking if your interested and quite a lot of road biking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    I would do a visit to Cesar Manrique's place well worth it if you like that kind of stuff.

http://www.cesarmanrique.com/fundacion_i.htm
    Visited this when last there, like being inside ''Tracy island'' think Thunderbirds.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've been for a few days in October for the last two years.

Diving/Snorkelling - A surprising amount and variety of fish around the Canaries, even in water shallow enough for snorkelling.

The lava tubes at the west of the island (Los Jameos del Agua and, especially, Cueva De Los Verdes), in fact the whole of the west is well worth visiting - I much preferred these to Timanfaya which is really a bit of a one-hit wonder and the queues to get there are long, even mid week out of high season (If you go, go on a coach trip, they get to skip the queue!)

Some of the properties of César Manrique (Artist and Architect) are worth a visit, too, including LagOmar owned (For a day!) by Omar Sharif.

Lanzarote is very low profile, partly thanks to agitation by Manrique and his supporters. Very few building more than 3 or 4 storeys high.

A week for 'free'? Can't be bad, especially during our Autumn/Winter, when some warmth and sunshine (even interspersed with a few showers) will be much appreciated.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 30th August 2017 at 09:25.

Coach trip around the Volcanic fields is good. Also the drag show in Playa blanca is a lot of fun!

As has already been said there are a few things to do depending on where you are going to be based. One thing is for sure you are almost guaranteed great weather so what can go wrong for a free week away??

Timanfaya National Park is a good place to visit, the tours is recommended at there is a separate route which is reserved for the tours and not available to the public (at least when I went anyway)

There are a good number of snorkelling / dive locations dotted around if that's your scene and has good reviews

I've just come back from a 10 day all-inclusive break myself, very nice indeed.

Master
    Was going to mention Manrique, but as everyone else seems to have done that, instead let me just mention the two outdoor go-kart tracks. One has really powerful twin-engined karts and is a bit of a hoot but not so much of a travk, the other is very professional and has one of the best outdoor tracks I've every driven. Highly recommended.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's often a strong North-Easterly prevailing wind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    Nope ! It's always been windy when we go !
    Never went back! Every door and window in the place rattled.

The villa had a pool but the effect of the wind was to reduce its temperature so that it was unusable (for me, at least).

Craftsman
    We went last year and the wind was as I'd been told beforehand horrendous.
    We were only a couple of miles from the airport so had a walk down there, you can almost touch the aircraft as they land you can get that close to the runway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    We went last year and the wind was as I'd been told beforehand horrendous.
    We were only a couple of miles from the airport so had a walk down there, you can almost touch the aircraft as they land you can get that close to the runway.
    Been 5 times to Lanzarote, usually stay in Matagorda and hopefully going back again later in the year I love popping down to the airport to get a few pictures. We know a decent family restaurant that serves a good chateaubriand for €25 for 2 persons!

Craftsman
    Nice photos , I've got a few good videos right under the aircraft coming in to land, but for some unknown reason didn't take any photos.
    I'd go back again no problem, but Tenerife for us later this year, it's less windy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Nice photos , I've got a few good videos right under the aircraft coming in to land, but for some unknown reason didn't take any photos.
    I'd go back again no problem, but Tenerife for us later this year, it's less windy.
    I don't mind the wind, last time we went in May this year we had dust devils coming off the sides of the airport runway.

Last edited by pcworks; 30th August 2017 at 19:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Just get pissed and you'll be fine
    Bonus

Wow
    Lots of good advice so far!
    Cheers
    Goat 🐐

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Ale,ciggies,and food are cheap sun,ill be shining what's not to like.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Never went back! Every door and window in the place rattled.

The villa had a pool but the effect of the wind was to reduce its temperature so that it was unusable (for me, at least).
    We always tend to go for the festive period at Dream gran Castillo but it's got crapper this year so may be off long haul , it's always windy no matter what but I do like it . Neighbour has a small villa there too