closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Learning to scuba dive.....

Master

Learning to scuba dive.....

Slightly inappropriate follow on from the thread about the diver that died in the Red Sea but as it appears we have some very specific knowledge here goes nothing.......

Looking to get away for a break in November for some sun and thought doubling up with getting qualified for scuba diving might make a good holiday. Tried it a few times on holiday before but would like to have the badge/book/certificate saying I'm qualified.

Given the time of year the Red Sea or possibly Oman seem likely destinations but any other suggestions or advice very welcome.

Have a window of approx 9-10 days so travel distance and time change are possible factors along with seasonal weather presumably ruling out Europe. Personally have no qualms over destination based on politics or religion as I can't imagine dive resorts are a hot bed of anti western feeling.

Over to you chaps........

Craftsman
    If you are looking to go down the PADI route as a qualified Open Water diver, i'm sure you are aware that it is split into two parts...... theory and practical.
    My advice, wherever you decide to go, would be to do the theory before you go (e-learning with PADI) and do your assessable open water dives on holiday, that way you are not classroom bound sitting exams whilst on holiday.
    As for destinations, I've only ever done 'live aboard' on the Red Sea so can't comment on resorts etc.
    https://www.padi.com
    Last edited by Firesam; 28th August 2017 at 15:36.

Oman diving is amazing! We went to Muscat some years ago and it was just superb.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Maldives is very good and not much further on than Oman.

Master
    Having just done the PADI open water course myself, try and get it all done here if you can - leaves more fun time when you get to your destination.
    The theory exam is a doddle if you read all the bumf and I'm sure you could squeeze all the required confined and open water dives before you go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Having just done the PADI open water course myself, try and get it all done here if you can - leaves more fun time when you get to your destination.
    The theory exam is a doddle if you read all the bumf and I'm sure you could squeeze all the required confined and open water dives before you go.
    Think the theory will get done; time, work and cold water make.the practical less likely!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Oman diving is amazing! We went to Muscat some years ago and it was just superb.
    Thats encouraging to hear.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Malta is still surprisingly warm (20 degrees) in November, has some brilliant wreck dives and is crawling with good dive schools. It's also got world class facilities that are always just up the road if things go pear shaped. It's also dirt cheap both to get to and to stay in. Just make sure you get an e111!
    Last edited by M4tt; 28th August 2017 at 16:59.

I'd have to agree with Matt on this. Malta, or more specifically Mellehia and Gozo are great diving locations for noobs and experienced divers alike. Loads of wrecks, loads of marine life, and crystal clear warm waters. Really well set up for divers too. My Son lives in Malta and I've dived there literally hundreds of times. Highly recommend until you want something more challenging.
    Ray

One thing to be aware of taking the 'referral' route (Theory here, practical overseas) with PADI OW is that it's more expensive than doing it all in resort.

I learnt to dive with Red Sea College in Sharm. We spent just a few hours over 3 days in classrooms and the rest was done on the beach or in the water, including the 'confined water' part, so often done in a pool.

It's a lot more fun watching colourful fish swimming by whilst waiting for fellow students to recover their regs than sitting doing it in a pool...

In my case, the whole course was cheaper than just the Theory/Confined Water part here in the UK and I'd have still had to pay for the Open Water part in resort.

I really enjoyed my short break to learn to dive and never felt I was 'missing' out, by not spending more money here first.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 30th August 2017 at 08:42.

Master
    I did my practical and theory all in the resort. I prefer to be able to put into practice what I learn sooner rather than later as it is more relevant. The classroom time was not overly long and if you look at it as a break from the sun it's not so bad. The course isn't too intensive in any case and is made to be fun so just enjoy it whilst you are out there. Over a couple of holidays my wife and I went to Advanced Open Water level and thoroughly enjoyed it. You meet good people and make good friends you may not otherwise encounter. All ages, all abilities, all walks of life.

Master
    Thanks for replies guys;

I'd considered Malta but was outvoted as not quite warm enough for the holiday aspect; online search gives late teens as likely temp so that's probably on the back burner for another time.

Totally get the logic of doing the practical here first and will check to find somewhere local but equally happy to do it on holiday and take a view that it stops me getting burnt. Looks like red Sea or Oman are most likely still, Red Sea college looks an interesting option.