timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftershaves - any favourites?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Creed Aventus - £22 for 100ml

http://www.marksandspencer.com/berga...irect&mcptlink

Thank me afterwards….

Smells just like it…. People who blog about this kind of thing have noticed that this M&S fragrance is basically a clone of Creed Aventus

I have it and it’s lovely…. I also have other Creed perfume, but, wouldn’t bother moving away from this
    This is half price now - out of stock online but in stock is the gift set version at £11.50 for 100ml plus shower gel.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    This is half price now - out of stock online but in stock is the gift set version at £11.50 for 100ml plus shower gel.
    Can not see it. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    It was a Black Friday special, I picked one up. Not sure it was on line?

I've moved away from after shaves now and prefer the more soothing aftershave balms like L'Occitan.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/berg...4?prevPage=srp

Hopefully this works.

Master
    That's how I bought it and have to say it's very pleasant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks i had a good search on m&s but could not find it. just reserved some.

I've heard that this Creed Aventus has a knicker-dropping quality with the ladies. Does the M&S homage have the same effect?

I'm willing to have a go for £11 as my wife's under clangers could double as a 6 person tent, which would be handy for Le Mans next year and would still save a few bob even after jet-washing/de-frothing.

Thanks i had a good search on m&s but could not find it. just reserved some.
    I could not find the link after I posted originally. I then searched for beragamot and it shows.

I have also picked up Boss The Scent Intense EDP for £40 (after £10 Amex/Superdrug Cashback thing) for 200ml. This will last 5 years I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    I've heard that this Creed Aventus has a knicker-dropping quality with the ladies. Does the M&S homage have the same effect?

I'm willing to have a go for £11 as my wife's under clangers could double as a 6 person tent, which would be handy for Le Mans next year and would still save a few bob even after jet-washing/de-frothing.

I think you will find the TZ SI unit of measurement for what you describe is the Rustybin 'fizzing at the bunghole' scale.
    I can't comment on the M&S homage qualities yet as I don't pick it up until tomorrow.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post

Order it for home delivery or you are likely to be jumped on by whoever is serving on the till …..

I’ll vouch for the M&S Dermot O’Leary fragrance, it’s great, it does not have the staying power of Creed but in the Black week sale it’s 25 times cheaper, so yeah it’s superb!

Blog Entries
    Still using the Boss the Scent Intense but trying Armani Stronger with You for a change and quite like it. Quite strong though.

Armaf "Club de Nuit Intense" £30 +\- online.
    Most reviews rave about it and its supposed to be one of if not the best Aventus clone out there.
    YouTube the reviews.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 28th November 2018 at 10:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just picked up the M&S bergamot and basil and it is very much like creed Aventus so a total bargain, you obviously have to spray more on than the real deal and I doubt it will last all day like creed but for £11 who cares!!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Order it for home delivery or you are likely to be jumped on by whoever is serving on the till …..
    And be warned - he doesn't lube up.

Just my 2p worth but I tried the Bergamot & Basil a while back and found no similarity to Creed Aventus, seriously not even a faint reminiscent hint, I found it harsh and with no resemblance at all to Aventus.
    Perhaps I'll try it again
    If you're taking a punt based on it smelling like Aventus, please ry it first as you may be disappointed however I may have sniffed a bad bottle!

This however is a dead ringer https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...Man-34696.html

and for £30-£35 it's a steal and also lasts well apparently although not as well as Aventus because Aventus is an Eau de Parfum whereas the M&S and most others are Eau de Toilette)
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 28th November 2018 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Armaf "Club de Nuit Intense" £30 +\- online.
    Most reviews rave about it and its supposed to be one of if not the best Aventus clone out there.
    YouTube the reviews.
    Great fragrance in its own right. The opening is harsh but after half an hour it's fantastic.

Craftsman
    Big fan of Tom Ford.....wife loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Just picked up the M&S bergamot and basil and it is very much like creed Aventus so a total bargain, you obviously have to spray more on than the real deal and I doubt it will last all day like creed but for £11 who cares!!

Just picked up a pack too, very like Aventus. A bargain at £11!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Just my 2p worth but I tried the Bergamot & Basil a while back and found no similarity to Creed Aventus, seriously not even a faint reminiscent hint, I found it harsh and with no resemblance at all to Aventus.
    Perhaps I'll try it again
    If you're taking a punt based on it smelling like Aventus, please ry it first as you may be disappointed however I may have sniffed a bad bottle!

This however is a dead ringer https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...Man-34696.html

and for £30-£35 it's a steal and also lasts well apparently although not as well as Aventus because Aventus is an Eau de Parfum whereas the M&S and most others are Eau de Toilette)
    Club de Nuit Intense outlasts Aventus on me. It's nowhere near as refined but you will smell great and people will tell you so.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve worn the dermot fragrance at work today and having just got home the smell is still on me which is a very nice surprise as I wasn’t expecting it to last. Took the bottle for the lads at work to try and it smelt different on my boss according so our female colleague who kindly sniffed all 4 of us!!... just goes to show the same scent doesn’t work for everyone BUT most importantly the lady in our office thought I smelt gorgeous!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    I’ve worn the dermot fragrance at work today and having just got home the smell is still on me which is a very nice surprise as I wasn’t expecting it to last. Took the bottle for the lads at work to try and it smelt different on my boss according so our female colleague who kindly sniffed all 4 of us!!... just goes to show the same scent doesn’t work for everyone BUT most importantly the lady in our office thought I smelt gorgeous!!

I have worn Creed on and off for the last few years and thought I’d try the Dermot as well. More people have commented on the latter in the last couple of weeks than over the last few years whilst wearing Creed. Go figure.

Master
    Thanks for the heads up!

I ordered 2 of the Dermot O'Leary*Bergamot Coffret sets to click & collect from my local M&S off the back of this thread and picked them up earlier this evening... Mrs. MST approves :friendy_wink:

I usually procure my Aventus from Palmolive over on the Basenotes.net forum; I notice that he now has his own website: https://decants.wordpress.com. Even at £65 for 50ml I still need something pleasant that I can just throw on before heading off to work in the wee hours without contemplating how much every spray is costing me, DO'L fits that bill.

I'm also keen to try Zara's Vibrant Leather, we'll see what Santa brings...
    Last edited by MST; 28th November 2018 at 22:41.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Having tried Creed AND Armaf club de Nuit Intense, plus Vibrant Leather from Zara i’ve Picked up some Do’l from M&S yesterday, and pleasantly surprised by it. It’s nothing like Aventus at its first spray, smells very synthetic/artificial (no surprise considering the price!) but after ten minutes of dry-down, smells almost identical

Club De Nuit Intense is a smokier initial smell, much stronger than the other two but again, on dry-down smells the same but seems to have better longevity.

The Zara is a close second and what I choose to wear most days because of its cost (£20 for 120ml) so re-application mid-afternoon is not an issue (the genuine Aventus lasts all day on me)

Finally, the Do’l at the sale price is a very close 3rd, again a little weaker (needed re-applying yesterday afternoon)

All in all they are all great alternatives to Aventus on a budget (no-one I have asked can tell the difference so I’ll never buy Aventus again)

*im not a professional “nose” so I’m sure some experts won’t agree with what I’ve typed but for the layman they are all great fragrances.

Master
    I bought the Dermot O'Leary basil and bergamot yesterday, £7.50 for the 30ml EDT and 30ml cream.

I have never smelt Aventus, bit based on the recommendations here I thought I'd give it a shot.

It smells very mature, older gentleman type, maybe a James bond-esque type of smell or what I imagine it to be.

I think I need to small genuine creed Aventus to know what all the fuss is about.

For the price of a pizza I'm happy with it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Any cheaper recommendations for something similar to Creed Himalya?

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Any cheaper recommendations for something similar to Creed Himalya?
    Apparantly Paco Rabanne XS

I've never smelt Creed Himalaya so can't say if it's true.
    Some say it's not the exact same or even a 'clone' but very close to Himalaya in it's 'vibe'.
    All subjective to our noses and body chemistry I suppose.

Master

Aftershaves - any favourites?

I’ve been using this for 20 years, thing is I can’t smell it.

Now and again I find it in boots for the same price £47 as the small one, normally £65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have Chanel Pour Monsieur and would love to own it again.
    It's a classic fragrance for the distinguished gentleman, definitely not for the clubbing scene.
    I found it lasted well on me but again it's all down to body chemistry.

Other options for classic gentleman's fragrances are Eau Sauvage Christian Dior Armani Eau Pour Homme Monsieur de Givenchy and Yves Saint Laurent Por Homme

They all have the more mature, classic barber shop, Gentleman's vibe although do not necessarily all smell identical.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 29th November 2018 at 10:41.

Master
    On the stinky shelf at the moment:
    Issey Miyake - Used it for ever my go to fragrance for special occasions.
    007 - Cheap, smells ok (on me) my usual daily driver can usually get a years supply in January sales for £20.
    Davidoff Cool Water - my previous cheap daily driver got a special deal on 5 30ml bottles a while back and keep finding the things hidden around the house.
    CK Obsession for men - used to use this all the time in my 20's, keep a bottle around for nostalgic purposes, very heavy and cloying to my nose now but occasional use when the mood hits.
    Joop - I hate the stuff but the wife loves it, smell makes me feel nauseous when i wake up after wearing it, before i shower it off. Red is worst, green slightly better.
    dior Sauvage - trying this out, as quite liked the smell in the shop, bought his and hers as xmas gifts for each other.
    Next Edition - I keep forgetting I've got this, xmas present from my 'sister from another mister' and it smells rather nice but I hardly use it.

in the past I've also rather liked Armani, Polo, Burberry and a few others I forget but they have fallen by the wayside for some reason.

Went through a stage of going all old English a few years ago with Taylors of Old Bond Street Eaton collage and sandal wood and Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna being standouts for me, but I found their staying power to be below par and so went back to the above after a year or so. I still use Taylors Eaton Collage shaving cream / soap when I wet shave though as palmolive just isn't the same.

Creed seems to have caught the zeitgeist at the moment so I'll probably try that at some point, probably when it's stopped being so popular.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I bought the Dermot O'Leary basil and bergamot yesterday, £7.50 for the 30ml EDT and 30ml cream.

I have never smelt Aventus, bit based on the recommendations here I thought I'd give it a shot.

It smells very mature, older gentleman type, maybe a James bond-esque type of smell or what I imagine it to be.

I think I need to small genuine creed Aventus to know what all the fuss is about.

Sorry to burst the bubble on what bond wore . People think he wore floris 89 . He did not , in fact the original bond viewpoint direct from the pages of the novels was that instead of spraying perfume ( like Russians / Italians ) - he bathed !

I personally thought bond would of wore dunhill in my mind . I guess not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought he would smell like a confusing blend of several female perfumes from his conquests
    Cheers..
    Jase

This is lovely, it smells just like Dior Homme Cologne https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...gne-41578.html
    I have a 120ml bottle which cost £24.99 delivered from Fragrance direct I think although Allbeauty currently have it listed for 23.99 delivered) it lasts well and smells lovely.
    Lemonadey/musky/smooth.
    A fantastic summer/daytime fragrance that punches way above it's weight in quality of smell.

Last edited by Orange Peel; 29th November 2018 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

Couldn't find it direct on M&S website, but google-foo came up with this: https://intu.co.uk/shop/brand/dermot-oleary which links straight to M&S website 100ml fragrance and 100ml hair/shower was £11.25 and bought the 3 small trio for £12.50 so can throw one of them in the working away washbag and save the other half a trip to the shops for Christmas.

Master
    I used to be Green Irish Tweed by day , Aventus by night: Aventus is too strong for a day scent around the office.

Recently I’ve been trying Tom Ford Anthracite which is fresh but petroly and menthol. Aquired taste but I like it.

Also Tom Ford Tuscan Leather which is so strong I can smell it off other people 12 feet away. When I wear it I can’t smell anything else. Its nice but usr with caution. You can practically taste it.

Probably pickup some Aventus and GIT at christmas as you can’t really beat them in my opinion.

Picked up a bottle of Creed Erolfa in the sales recently. After it's been on thirty minutes, my wife says she prefers it to Aventus.
    Extremely fresh and one to save for the summer.

Craftsman
    I’ve added creed original vetiver to the cabinet this week. Really like it so far, it feels a bit fresher than GIT and Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    On the stinky shelf at the moment:
    Issey Miyake - Used it for ever my go to fragrance for special occasions.
    007 - Cheap, smells ok (on me) my usual daily driver can usually get a years supply in January sales for £20.
    Davidoff Cool Water - my previous cheap daily driver got a special deal on 5 30ml bottles a while back and keep finding the things hidden around the house.
    CK Obsession for men - used to use this all the time in my 20's, keep a bottle around for nostalgic purposes, very heavy and cloying to my nose now but occasional use when the mood hits.
    Joop - I hate the stuff but the wife loves it, smell makes me feel nauseous when i wake up after wearing it, before i shower it off. Red is worst, green slightly better.
    dior Sauvage - trying this out, as quite liked the smell in the shop, bought his and hers as xmas gifts for each other.
    Next Edition - I keep forgetting I've got this, xmas present from my 'sister from another mister' and it smells rather nice but I hardly use it.

in the past I've also rather liked Armani, Polo, Burberry and a few others I forget but they have fallen by the wayside for some reason.

Went through a stage of going all old English a few years ago with Taylors of Old Bond Street Eaton collage and sandal wood and Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna being standouts for me, but I found their staying power to be below par and so went back to the above after a year or so. I still use Taylors Eaton Collage shaving cream / soap when I wet shave though as palmolive just isn't the same.

Creed seems to have caught the zeitgeist at the moment so I'll probably try that at some point, probably when it's stopped being so popular.
    When someone mentions Joop all I can think of is the Channel 4 documentary about dogging from a few years ago where one of the doggers in a broad midlands accent would claim that "they [women] love a bit of joop".

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Having tried Creed AND Armaf club de Nuit Intense, plus Vibrant Leather from Zara i’ve Picked up some Do’l from M&S yesterday, and pleasantly surprised by it. It’s nothing like Aventus at its first spray, smells very synthetic/artificial (no surprise considering the price!) but after ten minutes of dry-down, smells almost identical

‘Snipped

Finally, the Do’l at the sale price is a very close 3rd, again a little weaker (needed re-applying yesterday afternoon)

Reassessing Do’l today and Longevity is poor. Put it on at 11 and by 1pm it was gone. Reapplies and it’s gone by 3.

Lasts a couple of hours but no more, applied to back of left hand and back of my neck.

Master
    Picked up some of the DO'l today, for £11.50 with a shower gel can't go wrong really. Smells decent to me anyway😉

Whilst in John Lewis this weekend I tried the Creed Vetiver, I then trotted off to M&S as I knew they sold a Vetiver & Sandalwood EDT. I did a wrist by wrist test and invited the wife’s opinion too and they both smelt similar enough to warrant parting with the princely sum of £11.25 (50% off), as opposed to Creed at £225. I have the Bergamot & Basil too which is a lot like Aventus. I never thought I’d say it but something to thank Dermot O’Leary for!

Master
    at the moment i have:

Creed - Aventus, GIT, Royal Oud, Spice and wood and imperial milessime

Like them all for different occasions but spice and wood is probably my fav followed by the oud.

Also have TF Vert D'incense, still coming round to this, ditto amouage interlude and memoir

few others including bergamot soleil and hermes eau de hermes (another favourite)

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    at the moment i have:

Creed - Aventus, GIT, Royal Oud, Spice and wood and imperial milessime

Like them all for different occasions but spice and wood is probably my fav followed by the oud.

Also have TF Vert D'incense, still coming round to this, ditto amouage interlude and memoir

few others including bergamot soleil and hermes eau de hermes (another favourite)

Royal Oud is such a classy scent. Absolutely love it.
    Have you tried Amouage Reflection Man? The most wearable Amouage in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I'm in love with Amouage 'Interlude Man'

Not particularly 'wearable', but utterly beautiful.

I run a shop, mainly clothes, but a few accessories, especially at this time of year.

I sell a fragrance called ‘barfly’ by Scotch & Soda, it’s very popular, lots of women force their other halves to buy it, so that is surely a good sign.

The other one I’ve always sold well is Eucris by Geo F Trumper, apparently it’s what James Bond wore in the Fleming books, at least I hope it is, that’s what I was told and I’ve told loads of customers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Royal Oud is such a classy scent. Absolutely love it.
    agree with you on royal oud, its really nice, my BIL had the TF wood and oud (i think) which is also lovely

havent tried that amouage, ill put it on the list

have TF Vert d'incense on today, still not warming to it

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had a quick squirt of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver in John Lewis last week whilst looking for something for the better half... it went straight to the top of my favourites list.

If I don't get any for Christmas I will be there on Boxing Day to buy some.
    Lovely stuff and lasted all day.

Hermès Eau de Citron Noir, Eau de Mandarine Ambrée and Acqua Di Parma Leather
    All score high on the TZ bung hole fizzing index.