closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 138 of 138

Thread: Gas Barbecues

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    To be honest I find that charcoal imparts a unique flavour to the food, which no gas barbecue can match. A bit like a wood fired pizza oven

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Nobody disputes that and it's great to have both options, but gas offers the convenience. Before going gas I'd BBQ a couple times a year, gassed up I'm cooking on it all the time May through to October.

  2. #102
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,426
    Barbecues are used heck of a lot more in Spain and most of the residents use Gas purely because it is quick and easy. Also fish is more commonplace and cooking fish indoors stinks the house out. So barbecues rule supreme.

    Webbers seem to be taking over the market due to their quality.

    I have a Webber in the UK but it hardly ever gets used because of the rubbish weather we get here.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a Webber in the UK but it hardly ever gets used because of the rubbish weather we get here.
    Were you in Spain last summer? We had brilliant weather here last year. It was good from May bank holiday to mid September. I got through a large patio gas canister on my BBQ last year.

  4. #104
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Were you in Spain last summer? We had brilliant weather here last year. It was good from May bank holiday to mid September. I got through a large patio gas canister on my BBQ last year.
    We were back here during July and August and that was fine. However the difference being that a barbecue can be used more or less from April through to December in Spain. Therefore outdoor cooking and eating happens a lot more. The most important asset in a villa is the space to cook, eat and sun lounge outdoors. Outdoor kitchens are currently the in thing to have.

    Strangely enough I was talking to a neighbour yesterday about living in Spain and he would like to bomb the living daylights out of it because of the Gibraltar thingy. He knocked on my door this morning and made me a very serious offer to buy my house, in a cash deal, £50k over the market value. Evidently he wants the place for his daughter.

    It's tempting because I could barbecue a heck of a lot more if I moved out permanently.

  5. #105
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    571
    Weber quality is brilliant. My Spirit Premium e320 is 10 years old and still looks new. I have had to get a new set of grates and flavouriser bars and the ignition needs replacement, but the BBQ has another 10 years life left in it. We BBQ 5 times a week for 4-5 months a year in London and that is because it is gas. We supplement with a charcoal Weber when needed.

  6. #106
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,253
    Another vote for the Weber Q. I think if you're getting a gas BBQ for convenience then a cast iron grill is a must. Mine has been rock solid for 9 years now I think. Ok, the paint on the lid is a little bit weather worn now but still working great.

  7. #107
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Were you in Spain last summer? We had brilliant weather here last year. It was good from May bank holiday to mid September. I got through a large patio gas canister on my BBQ last year.
    Just the one bottle? Amateur lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Weber quality is brilliant. My Spirit Premium e320 is 10 years old and still looks new. I have had to get a new set of grates and flavouriser bars and the ignition needs replacement, but the BBQ has another 10 years life left in it. We BBQ 5 times a week for 4-5 months a year in London and that is because it is gas. We supplement with a charcoal Weber when needed.
    Agreed. Almost too good, mine in about the same age, could so with a lick of paint on the sides of the lid, but no sign of it giving up any time soon.

    Which is a right bugger, as Iíve been looking at the Genesis range as an upgrade. Theyíre lovely bits of kit!

    Before the Weber I was getting an outback every few years, wasted money on them. All I did when I bought my Weber was change the grills and flavouriser bars to Stainless & nothing has needed replacing.

    Big Green Egg is my usual weekend BBQ of choice, but for its speed and simplicity weekday is always the gas one. I BBQ all year round on the egg, as Iíve got an awning that comes out to cover it - it doesnít need it, but keep me dry when Iím out there!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #109
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agreed. Almost too good, mine in about the same age, could so with a lick of paint on the sides of the lid, but no sign of it giving up any time soon.

    Which is a right bugger, as Iíve been looking at the Genesis range as an upgrade. Theyíre lovely bits of kit!

    Before the Weber I was getting an outback every few years, wasted money on them. All I did when I bought my Weber was change the grills and flavouriser bars to Stainless & nothing has needed replacing.

    Big Green Egg is my usual weekend BBQ of choice, but for its speed and simplicity weekday is always the gas one. I BBQ all year round on the egg, as Iíve got an awning that comes out to cover it - it doesnít need it, but keep me dry when Iím out there!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too, tempted by a Genesis upgrade as well, but the Spirit keeps on going.

    Big green egg is very tempting and a lovely bit of kit, but I can't justify the price jump from a Weber.

  10. #110
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Me too, tempted by a Genesis upgrade as well, but the Spirit keeps on going.

    Big green egg is very tempting and a lovely bit of kit, but I can't justify the price jump from a Weber.
    Yes the BGE is expensive, as is a table to sit it in. I was lucky with mine getting my XL from wife and family for my 40th, plus a family John Lewis discount helped!

    Itís so versatile, itís great. Low & slow to pizzas. I started out smoking on a 57cm Weber kettle, added a Weber Smokey Mountain, so much better control for overnight smokes. Was a few years with that before upgrading to the egg.

    Always some cheap smokers about as people often they think they will use it more often. We used it loads, both for us & all visitors wanted pulled pork & ribs all the time. We rarely eat American style bbq out and about now, as can do it as well / better in some cases, myself.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #111
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Another vote for the Weber Q. I think if you're getting a gas BBQ for convenience then a cast iron grill is a must. Mine has been rock solid for 9 years now I think. Ok, the paint on the lid is a little bit weather worn now but still working great.
    I've got a Q too and been faultless. I clean it with a pressure washer, it is that robust and does the job really quickly.

    I do prefer the taste of stuff cooked over charcoal though....

  12. #112
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've got a Q too and been faultless. I clean it with a pressure washer, it is that robust and does the job really quickly.

    I do prefer the taste of stuff cooked over charcoal though....
    I hope you re-season the grate after pressure washing it! Must actually take mine apart and give the inside a good clean up.

  13. #113
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,611
    Had this for a few years now, awesome


  14. #114
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Had this for a few years now, awesome

    I think that is illegal....

    ..that can of lager should be placed in the shade and away from the heat of the grill..!

  15. #115
    Had this Weber Genesis for 11 years now. Was just cleaning it up on Sunday ready for the season. Have replaced flavorizer bars and the grate once in that time period and last year the orange hose. Been totally solid



    Something to make me feel hungry:-


    Also have a Q which had been on some adventures





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I think that is illegal....

    ..that can of lager should be placed in the shade and away from the heat of the grill..!
    Ha Ha I think youre right, kept wondering why my beer warms up quickly

  17. #117
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    I’ve sadly separated from my wife for the last 9 month, living with my folks but have just bought a doerupper project house
    The Webber Q is coming with me for sure - I have used it regularly for the Sunday roast spatchcock chicken
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

  18. #118
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    16,126
    Looking for a new bbq. Is there any advantage with lava rock to burn off excess fat? Seems most higher end bbq's don't have lava rock - any good reason why not?
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  19. #119
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,253
    They produce the same effect as a vaporiser bar. Fat drips down from whatever you're cooking, burns on the hot rocks and creates that smokey flavour you expect from a BBQ.

  20. #120
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Looking for a new bbq. Is there any advantage with lava rock to burn off excess fat? Seems most higher end bbq's don't have lava rock - any good reason why not?
    Lava rock will disintegrate over time so will need cleaning out and replacing. The flavouriser bars can just be cleaned. Flavouriser bars will need replacing once every few years. Lava rock, more often.

  21. #121
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    16,126
    Thanks guys, off to look at a few today, not a lot of choice round here sadly.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  22. #122
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Looking for a new bbq. Is there any advantage with lava rock to burn off excess fat? Seems most higher end bbq's don't have lava rock - any good reason why not?
    The lava rock provides a soak for the dripping oils and fats, which should mean that they all get burned up, rather than requiring a drip-tray.

    I'm getting a bit disillusioned with my (prev satisfactory) B&Q gas barbecue - The temperature isn't high enough for good searing, but is okay for cooking.

  23. #123
    Just saw this in hukd if anyone is looking, seems a good deal if you can get one.

    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/web...as-bbq-3262106

  24. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Your statement is nothing but a myth and has been disproved many times through blind tastings. Nothing wrong with gas.
    I totally agree there's nothing wrong as such with gas...
    ...but as for the blind taste tests...it just depends which taste tests you read about.
    Done right, a charcoal bbq makes tastier food. But that's the thing - most people don't do it right.
    Gas bbqs are a little more convenient and can just be fired up in minutes, but you'd be just as well to cook the food in your kitchen - same taste.

  25. #125
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    6,794
    Regarding the drip tray. Always ensure this is cleaned properly after each use.

    My brother was firing up my mum's Weber BBQ on Friday and everything was going fine until the excessive amount of old oil in the tray caught fire and ruined everyone's night.

    Such a simple thing to forget but bloody dangerous if you do.

  26. #126
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    16,126
    Ended up buying a Broil King. More features than a Webber and less £. Pleased so far.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  27. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Gas bbqs are a little more convenient and can just be fired up in minutes, but you'd be just as well to cook the food in your kitchen - same taste.
    Donít agree with that unless youíve a commercial kitchen at home. Flame grilled meat/fish/veg cooked over smoking gas bbq has a flavour you canít get in a pan or oven, unless you Flambť everything in the hob.

  28. #128
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Regarding the drip tray. Always ensure this is cleaned properly after each use.

    My brother was firing up my mum's Weber BBQ on Friday and everything was going fine until the excessive amount of old oil in the tray caught fire and ruined everyone's night.

    Such a simple thing to forget but bloody dangerous if you do.
    Never had a fire in 20yrs of Weber & clean the tray annually.

    My tray is without sand etc, just the simple foil tray.

    Mine is a 10yr old spirit, Iíve seen the more recent sprits (front dials) catch light on 2 occasions, guessing a design move in the wrong direction.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  29. #129
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    480
    Nice thread which I have read through this morning.

    I am a novice and would like to get into this BBQ game! We are veggie so options are a little more limited although there are plenty of BBQ friendly options for us which we discovered at a recent friend's BBQ.

    Thinking of going down the gas route. Will pop into JLP today and look at the Weber range. Fear we may not have much more than a few more weeks of BBQ-friendly weather this year, but oh well!

  30. #130
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Weber Q gets my vote.
    I am a (reluctant) recent convert to gas & have had a Q3200 for a couple of months.
    I am very impressed - everything I have cooked so far tasted superb & steaks are unbelievable!
    It's lid down cooking & takes no time at all - get one you will not be disappointed.

  31. #131
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Weber Q gets my vote.
    I am a (reluctant) recent convert to gas & have had a Q3200 for a couple of months.
    I am very impressed - everything I have cooked so far tasted superb & steaks are unbelievable!
    It's lid down cooking & takes no time at all - get one you will not be disappointed.
    Interesting, what made you go for the Q model rather than a spirit? I asumme the portability?

  32. #132
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Interesting, what made you go for the Q model rather than a spirit? I asumme the portability?
    Yes portability & size - the Q3200 comes on a wheeled cart so can be stored away easily & has fold down side tables so takes up less patio space when not in use.
    I wasn't sure it would have a big enough grill area when compared to my big old charcoal BBQ, but it's pretty big & food cooks so quick it can be rotated or put on the warming rack to create more cooking space if required.
    The grill also has 2 burners so can be used for direct / indirect heat - a decent size steak is cooked to perfection in 5 mins (turning just once)!
    Also have a griddle plate & pizza stone for it - my kids love pancakes cooked on it & also making great homemade pizzas!
    This is making me hungry............

  33. #133
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    719
    Very happy with the Weber Genesis II I got a couple of months back. Nice smokey flavour, cooks quickly and evenly without all the flare ups that I used to get with the cheapo Outback model I had previously.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  34. #134
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    And whatever brand you buy: always close the lid when barbecuing.
    Wise words indeed.

    Personally, if it isn’t charcoal (not briquettes I hasten to add), it isn’t a bbq in my book.

  35. #135
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Personally, if it isnít charcoal (not briquettes I hasten to add), it isnít a bbq in my book.
    I thought exactly the same until I bought my Weber a couple of months back!
    Just cooking gammon steak + fried eggs on it now.........

  36. #136
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    I thought exactly the same until I bought my Weber a couple of months back!
    Just cooking gammon steak + fried eggs on it now.........
    Big beef eater myself, and as much as I want the convenience of gas, steak and charcoal canít be beaten unfortunately. As for slow cooking and smoking, gas just canít do it in my experience. Wish it did mind, so much easier than charcoal.

  37. #137
    I've got a smoker, a gas grill and a charcoal BBQ.

    The gas grill get the most use, followed by the smoker and the charcoal BBQ hardly comes out at all.

  38. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Donít agree with that unless youíve a commercial kitchen at home. Flame grilled meat/fish/veg cooked over smoking gas bbq has a flavour you canít get in a pan or oven, unless you Flambť everything in the hob.
    But the real deal even more so. Gas can be great, but cnarcoal and wood is the next level up - for the right dishes, in the right hands...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •