closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 138

Thread: Gas Barbecues

  1. #51
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    444
    Weber all the way. Accessories are good too, including a rotisserie which I swear by for pork, lamb joints or chicken. They also do a smoker with loads of different flavoured wood chips to choose from. I have the Genesis and the centre part of the grid is removable and can be replaced with a griddle or pizza stone. All adds to the fun.

  2. #52
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,994
    I've been recommended the Weber Spirit Original with the cast iron grills, a three burner. To be honest I'm pretty sick of the Weber kettle I have, the faff with the coals etc. I'm sure I'd use a gas one more.

    There are some light discounts, 10 percent or so this weekend but reckon there will be deeper discounts once the weather turns? Or next week at least?

  3. #53
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    6,517
    i never get any faff with coals (depending on what I'm doing I either use heat-beads or Big K) - chuck them in a starter, light it, wander off and have a drink and 30 minutes later I just tip them in - doing a chicken as I type.


    Although I did have some fun yesterday at someone's birthday where I had to man the BBQ... well aldi pizza oven they were trying to use as a grill - far too low and oddly crisp bags (!!!!) aren't a great starter fuel...

  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I've been recommended the Weber Spirit Original with the cast iron grills, a three burner. To be honest I'm pretty sick of the Weber kettle I have, the faff with the coals etc. I'm sure I'd use a gas one more.

    There are some light discounts, 10 percent or so this weekend but reckon there will be deeper discounts once the weather turns? Or next week at least?
    I've got both- use the kettle for longer cooks and when weather is good and I've got time.
    Gas has a rottiserie which is just about to get a gammon joint on it.

  5. #55
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    I'm tempted to get a rotisserie for my Q200

  6. #56
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    6,517
    Almost there...

  7. #57
    Ditto. With chorizo in the veg...

  8. #58
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    894
    I have almost 1 of every range of Weber except the genesis (both older model and new). I didn't like the placement of the hinge on the lid compared to the summit on the older genesis, the new one could be great.

    For convenience the gas are great, I've got the little 2 burner spirit which seems nice enough and pretty well built although never used but they are pretty expensive at the moment, were a good buy 18 months ago. I'd definitely recommend a Weber over anything else, the quality is better than anything I've looked at but most importantly their warranty is brilliant, replacement parts no questions asked.

    I think the Q range are a little small for a family to cook on and doesn't give much room for those times when you want to cook not directly above the burners. Great for camping etc. If on a budget I'd go for the spirit range.

    My favourite is the performer, no real idea why but it's the one I use the most. Having said that, I've now also got a big green egg...

  9. #59
    Ive been looking for a few weeks and trawling round the garden centres looking for end of season deals
    And this morning I've managed to bag a bargain of gumtree
    I got a Weber q3000 two gas bottles and some accessories for a bargain price of £100👍🏻
    Can't complain at that price and after a quick clean it served up some lovely rump steak and minted lamb chops for tea 😊

  10. #60
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    17,333
    Good deal for a great grill.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser - probably not Socrates

  11. #61
    What are the opinions on this for £293 http://www.diy.com/departments/spiri...1687828_BQ.prd

    Not sure if its just the left shelf missing thats different from the normal E210 classic or if there cheaping out on materials on other places also.

  12. #62
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Glasgow (Erskine)
    Posts
    1,570
    I'd buy Weber, I have an Outback which worked well, but has fallen to bits over 5 years.

  13. #63
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    43
    Another vote for weber here. Although I’m strictly charcoal only. Got a mastertouch with the GBS grill and have a few accessories for it. All top quality. You can cook indirect or ‘low and slow’ or you do direct heat. I like doing steaks on direct heat with the cast iron grate i bought.

    Im sure the gas ones are equal quality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    157
    Gas BBQ = kitchen cooker in the garden, why?

  15. #65
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Gas BBQ = kitchen cooker in the garden, why?
    Why not ?

  16. #66
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    We have a Bunnings just opened in town- they have a mahousive selection (no webbers though)- a cracking pizza oven on wheels- I was in there hours

  17. #67
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Gas BBQ = kitchen cooker in the garden, why?

    You get the same flavour, but more controllable, easier cleaned, cheaper to run............

    Not sure what downside you are alluding to......

    (or is that your secret?)

  18. #68
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Why not ?
    Cos that's what the kitchen is for

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #69
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You get the same flavour, but more controllable, easier cleaned, cheaper to run............

    Not sure what downside you are alluding to......

    (or is that your secret?)
    No you don't. My bbq will hold the same temp for 36 hours on one load of charcoal. It doesn't need cleaning, you just open the vents and it cleans itself. How much gas does your garden cooker use in 36 hours?

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #70
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Cos that's what the kitchen is for

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's perfectly warm in my house in the summer but I still enjoy sitting in the garden

  21. #71
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    No you don't. My bbq will hold the same temp for 36 hours on one load of charcoal. It doesn't need cleaning, you just open the vents and it cleans itself. How much gas does your garden cooker use in 36 hours?

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    No idea - I'm usually hammered and fed within 2hrs........ turn off the BBQ

    Sounds like you have an impressive BBQ - don't know why you didn't just tell us about it in the first place instead of the 'one-liners' though

    Al

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    No you don't. My bbq will hold the same temp for 36 hours on one load of charcoal. It doesn't need cleaning, you just open the vents and it cleans itself. How much gas does your garden cooker use in 36 hours?

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    That sounds like an awesome bbq. Which is it?

  23. #73
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    That sounds like an awesome bbq. Which is it?
    Big Green Egg.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app

  24. #74
    Craftsman Kris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Too Near Heathrow, England
    Posts
    683
    I'd bought an Outback Omega Gas BBQ in June last year, came to use it this year the burner valves had jammed solid. Contacted Outback who said, "sorry, out of warranty. We don't sell spares so you need to buy another one."

    Gee thanks, guess I will then ..but it sure as heck won't be from you....

  25. #75
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,534
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just to join the throng, another vote for Weber. Had mine for about 10 years, never really missed a beat. Just bought a Nexgrill from Costco and given the Weber to my brother in law. Think I might regret that!

  26. #76
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Just to join the throng, another vote for Weber. Had mine for about 10 years, never really missed a beat. Just bought a Nexgrill from Costco and given the Weber to my brother in law. Think I might regret that!
    My Nexgrill (tabletop version) didn't give out enough heat to cook. When I searched for problems on web - found there were tales of them catching fire uncontrollably (in addition to not cooking)

    I'd be lighting and running it away from the house, and take a critical view of the cooking ability.

    Al
    Last edited by blackal; 30th August 2017 at 12:59.

  27. #77
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Big Green Egg.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'd agree they are great, but not quite what the OP had in mind price wise.

    I have an XL BGE, but still find the gas WEber useful for quick week night cooking, not smelling of charcoal, or simply cooking some bacon - no way I'd bother lighting up the BGE for 12 bits of streaky!

  28. #78
    Has anyone tried a Grillstream? Saw a ziggy 2 today next to a Weber Q2200 and to be honest the ziggy felt and looked more substantial.

    The grill stream seems a good idea also.




  29. #79
    Massive Weber fan

    Have a Genesis 310 for 10 years. Replaced the odd part and this year the gas hose. Just keeps going and has survived 9 winters outside with just the cover on it

    Also have a Q which we've used on many trips to the beach etc

    If you are in the north visit the big garden centre in Ambleside .... they have the biggest Weber display I've ever seen. Literally every model and accessory.

  30. #80
    Master Ron Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lindenhurst, New York
    Posts
    8,102
    Weber all the way. They are well built and will last much longer than less expensive models. We use ours at least four days a week from spring to fall in the winter it is only used two or so times a week.

  31. #81
    Just to update thread and might be a bit of help to anyone. I bought the weber E-310 today from home base for £199.



    There selling them off but a lot of homebase near me did not have any. I had to travel to Nottingham to get mine which was the last one. Quick search on Google shows the cheapest £427.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 9th September 2017 at 22:41.

  32. #82
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,050
    Great price- I have a 320 with side burner but essentially the same

  33. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Great price- I have a 320 with side burner but essentially the same
    They had the 320 in there. That was £350 which still a brilliant price but I just doubt I would use the side burner much.

  34. #84
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    They had the 320 in there. That was £350 which still a brilliant price but I just doubt I would use the side burner much.
    Agree I don't use mine much and wouldn't miss it- only have it because there was a deal when i bought it

  35. #85
    Looking at gas bottles for the weber which has a 27mm regulator fitted which only fits patio gas bottles. There are only two sizes 13kg or 5kg. I see only a 5kg bottle fits inside the barbecue which are around £25 and thats just for a refill.

    Checking out calors website i see they do a 6kg protane gas bottle which looking at the dimensions (495x256) will fit inside and its only £18 a bottle! Has anyone swapped out the regulator on there gas bbq to get gas cheaper?

  36. #86
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Looking at gas bottles for the weber which has a 27mm regulator fitted which only fits patio gas bottles. There are only two sizes 13kg or 5kg. I see only a 5kg bottle fits inside the barbecue which are around £25 and thats just for a refill.

    Checking out calors website i see they do a 6kg protane gas bottle which looking at the dimensions (495x256) will fit inside and its only £18 a bottle! Has anyone swapped out the regulator on there gas bbq to get gas cheaper?
    I've got one propane and one butane-depend s on what gas is cheapest or available

  37. #87
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    659
    Like a lot of people on here have said, if you want it to last, don't buy Outback. Mine lasted 3 years - the burner has completely corroded. They claim to sell a replacement burner but it is never in stock
    Last edited by Ethos; 11th September 2017 at 16:14. Reason: typo

  38. #88
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I've got one propane and one butane-depend s on what gas is cheapest or available
    Propane burns hotter _ that might be important to you? And you'll use less for same temp as butane. Works better in winter too.

  39. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Propane burns hotter _ that might be important to you? And you'll use less for same temp as butane. Works better in winter too.
    Not quite correct. Propane works better in winter, that is true, as butane loses pressure when is gets too cold. Both burn at about the same temperature in terms of flame temp, but you get more energy released per unit from butane. So if using in summer only, go butane, year round use propane

  40. #90
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Has anyone swapped out the regulator on there gas bbq to get gas cheaper?
    Yup, primarily because I bought my Weber in Germany and they use a different regulator so had no choice when I got back here. Incredibly easy to do, it's just a case of taking the regulator off the hose, sliding the new one on and securing it with a jubilee clip. Cost was about £16 from B&Q.

  41. #91
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    17,311
    To be more precise, butane's boiling point is -1C, so if the temperature outside the canister is -5C the gas remains liquid. Ergo the 'loss of pressure' mentioned above.
    Propane's boiling point is -42C.
    You will also find Isobutane with a BP of -11.5C which under our climate makes it an interesting gaz for winter.
    Don't take my silence for agreement. I've just realised you're too stupid to argue with.

  42. #92
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To be more precise, butane's boiling point is -1C, so if the temperature outside the canister is -5C the gas remains liquid. Ergo the 'loss of pressure' mentioned above.
    Propane's boiling point is -42C.
    You will also find Isobutane with a BP of -11.5C which under our climate makes it an interesting gaz for winter.
    Love a proper explanation! Thank you

  43. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Just to update thread and might be a bit of help to anyone. I bought the weber E-310 today from home base for £199
    That's a steal! I used this model in a holiday home the other week and it was great. If I'd have seen one at that price I'd have one.

  44. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Gas BBQ = kitchen cooker in the garden, why?
    A friend of mine who swears by Charcoal said something along the lines of 'might as well just put it in the oven if you're going to cook on gas'. Not true though is it? Cooking on a gas bbq generates a lot of dripping fat, flames and smoke which adds to the flavour of the meat, non of which you get roasting in an oven or pan frying.

    Most restaurants will cook their meats on a proper grill with flames chargrilling the meat and veg, in the same way a gas BBQ would –*you don't get that in the kitchen without setting off all your smoke alarms and upsetting the wife.

  45. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    That's a steal! I used this model in a holiday home the other week and it was great. If I'd have seen one at that price I'd have one.
    It's a great price mate and might be some still knocking about. Worth ringing around a few homebases. Not had the chance to use it yet as waiting for a new regulator and hose to arrive so I can use cheaper propane bottles.


  46. #96
    Apprentice moorery2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    It's a great price mate and might be some still knocking about. Worth ringing around a few homebases. Not had the chance to use it yet as waiting for a new regulator and hose to arrive so I can use cheaper propane bottles.


    That is completely a steal! Better get it before I do! hahaha

  47. #97
    Another vote for Weber from me. I did a lot of research and didn't just want to go down what i thought at the time was just the popular biggest brand route.

    So I bought a Swiss Grill BBQ Arosa 250 SS 3 years ago and already it is looking the worse for wear, I guess that's why they have gone out of business now!

    Wish I had bought a Weber Genesis..............

  48. #98
    Got this today for it



    Seems good quality for the price. From homebargains.

  49. #99
    Ressurecting this thread for the summer season.

    Just moved into a new house down on the south coast and left the ancient Outback grill at the old house for the new buyers (they were hapy to keep it), so have treated myself to a new and shiny Cadac 3 burner. It's due today, so hopefully can get it built in time to cook up some food for dinner tonight.

    Have never experimented with indirect cooking on a gas grill before either as the old outback had a flat top, so no cookbox, so i'm looking forward to trying some long and slow smoke - anyone got any tips for a newbie?

  50. #100
    To be honest I find that charcoal imparts a unique flavour to the food, which no gas barbecue can match. A bit like a wood fired pizza oven

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •