closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gas Barbecues

Master
    Barbecues are used heck of a lot more in Spain and most of the residents use Gas purely because it is quick and easy. Also fish is more commonplace and cooking fish indoors stinks the house out. So barbecues rule supreme.

Webbers seem to be taking over the market due to their quality.

I have a Webber in the UK but it hardly ever gets used because of the rubbish weather we get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a Webber in the UK but it hardly ever gets used because of the rubbish weather we get here.
    Were you in Spain last summer? We had brilliant weather here last year. It was good from May bank holiday to mid September. I got through a large patio gas canister on my BBQ last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Were you in Spain last summer? We had brilliant weather here last year. It was good from May bank holiday to mid September. I got through a large patio gas canister on my BBQ last year.
    We were back here during July and August and that was fine. However the difference being that a barbecue can be used more or less from April through to December in Spain. Therefore outdoor cooking and eating happens a lot more. The most important asset in a villa is the space to cook, eat and sun lounge outdoors. Outdoor kitchens are currently the in thing to have.

Strangely enough I was talking to a neighbour yesterday about living in Spain and he would like to bomb the living daylights out of it because of the Gibraltar thingy. He knocked on my door this morning and made me a very serious offer to buy my house, in a cash deal, £50k over the market value. Evidently he wants the place for his daughter.

It's tempting because I could barbecue a heck of a lot more if I moved out permanently.

Craftsman
    Weber quality is brilliant. My Spirit Premium e320 is 10 years old and still looks new. I have had to get a new set of grates and flavouriser bars and the ignition needs replacement, but the BBQ has another 10 years life left in it. We BBQ 5 times a week for 4-5 months a year in London and that is because it is gas. We supplement with a charcoal Weber when needed.

Master
    Another vote for the Weber Q. I think if you're getting a gas BBQ for convenience then a cast iron grill is a must. Mine has been rock solid for 9 years now I think. Ok, the paint on the lid is a little bit weather worn now but still working great.

Master
    Just the one bottle? Amateur lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Weber quality is brilliant. My Spirit Premium e320 is 10 years old and still looks new. I have had to get a new set of grates and flavouriser bars and the ignition needs replacement, but the BBQ has another 10 years life left in it. We BBQ 5 times a week for 4-5 months a year in London and that is because it is gas. We supplement with a charcoal Weber when needed.
    Agreed. Almost too good, mine in about the same age, could so with a lick of paint on the sides of the lid, but no sign of it giving up any time soon.

Which is a right bugger, as I’ve been looking at the Genesis range as an upgrade. They’re lovely bits of kit!

Before the Weber I was getting an outback every few years, wasted money on them. All I did when I bought my Weber was change the grills and flavouriser bars to Stainless & nothing has needed replacing.

Big Green Egg is my usual weekend BBQ of choice, but for its speed and simplicity weekday is always the gas one. I BBQ all year round on the egg, as I’ve got an awning that comes out to cover it - it doesn’t need it, but keep me dry when I’m out there!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agreed. Almost too good, mine in about the same age, could so with a lick of paint on the sides of the lid, but no sign of it giving up any time soon.

Which is a right bugger, as I’ve been looking at the Genesis range as an upgrade. They’re lovely bits of kit!

Before the Weber I was getting an outback every few years, wasted money on them. All I did when I bought my Weber was change the grills and flavouriser bars to Stainless & nothing has needed replacing.

Big Green Egg is my usual weekend BBQ of choice, but for its speed and simplicity weekday is always the gas one. I BBQ all year round on the egg, as I’ve got an awning that comes out to cover it - it doesn’t need it, but keep me dry when I’m out there!

Me too, tempted by a Genesis upgrade as well, but the Spirit keeps on going.

Big green egg is very tempting and a lovely bit of kit, but I can't justify the price jump from a Weber.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Me too, tempted by a Genesis upgrade as well, but the Spirit keeps on going.

Big green egg is very tempting and a lovely bit of kit, but I can't justify the price jump from a Weber.
    Yes the BGE is expensive, as is a table to sit it in. I was lucky with mine getting my XL from wife and family for my 40th, plus a family John Lewis discount helped!

It’s so versatile, it’s great. Low & slow to pizzas. I started out smoking on a 57cm Weber kettle, added a Weber Smokey Mountain, so much better control for overnight smokes. Was a few years with that before upgrading to the egg.

Always some cheap smokers about as people often they think they will use it more often. We used it loads, both for us & all visitors wanted pulled pork & ribs all the time. We rarely eat American style bbq out and about now, as can do it as well / better in some cases, myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Another vote for the Weber Q. I think if you're getting a gas BBQ for convenience then a cast iron grill is a must. Mine has been rock solid for 9 years now I think. Ok, the paint on the lid is a little bit weather worn now but still working great.
    I've got a Q too and been faultless. I clean it with a pressure washer, it is that robust and does the job really quickly.

I do prefer the taste of stuff cooked over charcoal though....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've got a Q too and been faultless. I clean it with a pressure washer, it is that robust and does the job really quickly.

I do prefer the taste of stuff cooked over charcoal though....
    I hope you re-season the grate after pressure washing it! Must actually take mine apart and give the inside a good clean up.

Had this for a few years now, awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Had this for a few years now, awesome

I think that is illegal....

..that can of lager should be placed in the shade and away from the heat of the grill..!

Had this Weber Genesis for 11 years now. Was just cleaning it up on Sunday ready for the season. Have replaced flavorizer bars and the grate once in that time period and last year the orange hose. Been totally solid

Something to make me feel hungry:-

Also have a Q which had been on some adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I think that is illegal....

..that can of lager should be placed in the shade and away from the heat of the grill..!
    Ha Ha I think youre right, kept wondering why my beer warms up quickly

Master
    I’ve sadly separated from my wife for the last 9 month, living with my folks but have just bought a doerupper project house
    The Webber Q is coming with me for sure - I have used it regularly for the Sunday roast spatchcock chicken
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Looking for a new bbq. Is there any advantage with lava rock to burn off excess fat? Seems most higher end bbq's don't have lava rock - any good reason why not?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    They produce the same effect as a vaporiser bar. Fat drips down from whatever you're cooking, burns on the hot rocks and creates that smokey flavour you expect from a BBQ.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Looking for a new bbq. Is there any advantage with lava rock to burn off excess fat? Seems most higher end bbq's don't have lava rock - any good reason why not?
    Lava rock will disintegrate over time so will need cleaning out and replacing. The flavouriser bars can just be cleaned. Flavouriser bars will need replacing once every few years. Lava rock, more often.

Thanks guys, off to look at a few today, not a lot of choice round here sadly.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    The lava rock provides a soak for the dripping oils and fats, which should mean that they all get burned up, rather than requiring a drip-tray.

I'm getting a bit disillusioned with my (prev satisfactory) B&Q gas barbecue - The temperature isn't high enough for good searing, but is okay for cooking.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just saw this in hukd if anyone is looking, seems a good deal if you can get one.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/web...as-bbq-3262106

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Your statement is nothing but a myth and has been disproved many times through blind tastings. Nothing wrong with gas.
    I totally agree there's nothing wrong as such with gas...
    ...but as for the blind taste tests...it just depends which taste tests you read about.
    Done right, a charcoal bbq makes tastier food. But that's the thing - most people don't do it right.
    Gas bbqs are a little more convenient and can just be fired up in minutes, but you'd be just as well to cook the food in your kitchen - same taste.

Regarding the drip tray. Always ensure this is cleaned properly after each use.

My brother was firing up my mum's Weber BBQ on Friday and everything was going fine until the excessive amount of old oil in the tray caught fire and ruined everyone's night.

Such a simple thing to forget but bloody dangerous if you do.

Ended up buying a Broil King. More features than a Webber and less £. Pleased so far.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Gas bbqs are a little more convenient and can just be fired up in minutes, but you'd be just as well to cook the food in your kitchen - same taste.
    Don’t agree with that unless you’ve a commercial kitchen at home. Flame grilled meat/fish/veg cooked over smoking gas bbq has a flavour you can’t get in a pan or oven, unless you Flambé everything in the hob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Regarding the drip tray. Always ensure this is cleaned properly after each use.

My brother was firing up my mum's Weber BBQ on Friday and everything was going fine until the excessive amount of old oil in the tray caught fire and ruined everyone's night.

Such a simple thing to forget but bloody dangerous if you do.
    Never had a fire in 20yrs of Weber & clean the tray annually.

My tray is without sand etc, just the simple foil tray.

Mine is a 10yr old spirit, I’ve seen the more recent sprits (front dials) catch light on 2 occasions, guessing a design move in the wrong direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice thread which I have read through this morning.

I am a novice and would like to get into this BBQ game! We are veggie so options are a little more limited although there are plenty of BBQ friendly options for us which we discovered at a recent friend's BBQ.

Thinking of going down the gas route. Will pop into JLP today and look at the Weber range. Fear we may not have much more than a few more weeks of BBQ-friendly weather this year, but oh well!

Master
    Weber Q gets my vote.
    I am a (reluctant) recent convert to gas & have had a Q3200 for a couple of months.
    I am very impressed - everything I have cooked so far tasted superb & steaks are unbelievable!
    It's lid down cooking & takes no time at all - get one you will not be disappointed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Weber Q gets my vote.
    I am a (reluctant) recent convert to gas & have had a Q3200 for a couple of months.
    I am very impressed - everything I have cooked so far tasted superb & steaks are unbelievable!
    It's lid down cooking & takes no time at all - get one you will not be disappointed.
    Interesting, what made you go for the Q model rather than a spirit? I asumme the portability?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Interesting, what made you go for the Q model rather than a spirit? I asumme the portability?
    Yes portability & size - the Q3200 comes on a wheeled cart so can be stored away easily & has fold down side tables so takes up less patio space when not in use.
    I wasn't sure it would have a big enough grill area when compared to my big old charcoal BBQ, but it's pretty big & food cooks so quick it can be rotated or put on the warming rack to create more cooking space if required.
    The grill also has 2 burners so can be used for direct / indirect heat - a decent size steak is cooked to perfection in 5 mins (turning just once)!
    Also have a griddle plate & pizza stone for it - my kids love pancakes cooked on it & also making great homemade pizzas!
    This is making me hungry............

Master
    Very happy with the Weber Genesis II I got a couple of months back. Nice smokey flavour, cooks quickly and evenly without all the flare ups that I used to get with the cheapo Outback model I had previously.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    And whatever brand you buy: always close the lid when barbecuing.
    Wise words indeed.

Personally, if it isn’t charcoal (not briquettes I hasten to add), it isn’t a bbq in my book.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Personally, if it isn’t charcoal (not briquettes I hasten to add), it isn’t a bbq in my book.
    I thought exactly the same until I bought my Weber a couple of months back!
    Just cooking gammon steak + fried eggs on it now.........

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    I thought exactly the same until I bought my Weber a couple of months back!
    Just cooking gammon steak + fried eggs on it now.........
    Big beef eater myself, and as much as I want the convenience of gas, steak and charcoal can’t be beaten unfortunately. As for slow cooking and smoking, gas just can’t do it in my experience. Wish it did mind, so much easier than charcoal.

I've got a smoker, a gas grill and a charcoal BBQ.

The gas grill get the most use, followed by the smoker and the charcoal BBQ hardly comes out at all.

Don’t agree with that unless you’ve a commercial kitchen at home. Flame grilled meat/fish/veg cooked over smoking gas bbq has a flavour you can’t get in a pan or oven, unless you Flambé everything in the hob.
    But the real deal even more so. Gas can be great, but cnarcoal and wood is the next level up - for the right dishes, in the right hands...