closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Barbecues

Master
    Blog Entries

Gas Barbecues

Never had one and hardly use a barbecue but fancy getting one. Hopefully being gas ill use it more than the usual charcoal one we have.

Any experienced out door cooks here have any recommendations? Im afraid the budget is not up to much, around £200.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The whole idea of a BBQ is to get the taste of the charcoal smokeyness which gas BBQ just to not give you. Mind you for how many BBQs we have had this year with the crap summer I would not bother.
    Last edited by hilly10; 26th August 2017 at 05:49.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The whole idea of a BBQ is to get the taste of the charcoal smokeyness which gas BBQ just to not give you.
    It's a school of thought, though Strickland Propane's slogan is "Taste the meat, not the heat".

Craftsman
    I've got one of these and had it for a few years. Hasn't put a foot wrong and nearer £300 when I bought it.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...6%7Cnw:g%7Crnd
    Last edited by GMC41; 26th August 2017 at 06:34.

Master
    Weber spirit range is excellent. Good discounts to be had if you look around at the end of the season. I paid around £250 a few years back so slightly over budget, but use it far far more than any charcoal BBQ that I had before - even sometimes cook breakfast on it

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've just gone back to gas after a few frustrating years of battling charcoal.
    Just above your budget, I picked up a Weber Q2000 from Go Out Doors (price matched against B&Q it was just over £250).
    I have to say it is brilliant and should have brought a Weber years ago, you do get what you pay for.
    The food I've cooked so far has been spot on, no battling with getting the thing going or too much/not enough heat
    I can't say I buy into the need to have charcoal to provide a smokey flavour, well marinated and decently cooked meat is surely preferable to a bit of smoke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    I've got one of these and had it for a few years. Hasn't put a foot wrong and nearer £300 when I bought it.

I had something similar from Homebase more than adequate for the not so serious barby guy but Weber are top notch.

I picked up a Outback Gas BBQ from Makro a few years ago, great BBQ's to be honest and around your budget...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 26th August 2017 at 07:47.

I've been looking at the 4 burner one in Homebase (more burners=bigger=better obviously!).
    They're about £250.

Outback and Weber seem to be the main ones around this year but there's still loads of much cheaper ones. They don't look up to much though.

I'll probably see how much they come down to at the end of season sale before buying one.

I have a friend who cooks all their meat (roasts too) on their gas BBQ all year round.

The whole idea of a BBQ is to get the taste of the charcoal smokeyness which gas BBQ just to not give you. Mind you for how many BBQs we have had this year with the crap summer I would not bother.
    Your statement is nothing but a myth and has been disproved many times through blind tastings. Nothing wrong with gas.

I have two gas and one charcoal barbecues and they all produce top food. Buy decent equipment, Weber, Napoleon, Broil King or similar. If constrained by budget, rather but a smaller grill from one of the above brands than a large no-name. Most people have too big grills anyway.

I have a Weber Q1200 on the balcony of my Berlin apartment and it's a great little kit for about your budget.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

And whatever brand you buy: always close the lid when barbecuing.

Craftsman
    I have a had a few gas BBQs now, currently a cheap Anthony Warell Thompson one off eBay which is perfectly adequate and within your budget

However something they all share is, the assembly takes forever and the requirement of several Ologys and a tool kit that would not look out of place on the space station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not huge but within budget...

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/product/web...hoCgYgQAvD_BwE

I've become a massive fan of Weber in recent years, the kit is built to a very high standard and lasts really well.

I have considered gas, but am now really happy with charcoal now I've got a MasterTouch

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...01004~14501004

Despite being huge, it's only got a small cooking area as you keep the coals at the side and cook in the middle, so you cook slowly with indirect heat rather than charring the outside and leaving the inside raw. I often pop a slab of pork belly on for 12 hours or so...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've just gone back to gas after a few frustrating years of battling charcoal.
    Just above your budget, I picked up a Weber Q2000 from Go Out Doors (price matched against B&Q it was just over £250).
    I have to say it is brilliant and should have brought a Weber years ago, you do get what you pay for.
    The food I've cooked so far has been spot on, no battling with getting the thing going or too much/not enough heat
    I can't say I buy into the need to have charcoal to provide a smokey flavour, well marinated and decently cooked meat is surely preferable to a bit of smoke.
    I've one too - picked it locally a couple of years ago for a crazy £35 on gumtree- Michel Roux was using one on James Martins show this week
    Often do the sunday chicken on it- great bbq

The smokiness comes from the fats/oils from the meat - burning off.

That occurs either on the charcoal or on the deflection plates/grills of the gas BBQ.

Charcoal BBQs will reach a higher temperature, but a gas BBQ also has merit.

Have a look at the B&Q models - they are pretty long-lasting, and also - look for ones with ceramic-coated grill panels - they are a lot easier to clean.

I have a 3-panel B&Q model, and for everyday use (small meals) - I cover the other 2 grill panels with foil to keep them clean.

A gas BBQ is so easy to flash up and clean, that you can use it every evening if you wanted.

Al

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some great advice here cheers. I have heard the name Weber pop up the bit of browsing I've done. I like the look of this char-broil http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6074872 although after looking on you tube they seem to rust easily.

As a few of said I'm also thinking of using it not just for barbecues but also all year round to cook them stinky foods like fish, steak etc so it's not in the house. Wil probably make a little canopy over it.

Can't beat the convenience of gas especially if you're likely to cook on it frequently or even daily, too hot to really cook in the house last month and this month....not complaining though.

Agreed sprite, great for keeping food smells outside.

I have this one. £200.
    Gas one side, plus a pan burner. Charcoal other side

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6147675?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156%7Ccid:18993428 5%7Cagid:18091941805%7Ctid:pla-320843576096%7Ccrid:77627768965%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:25455 17783667204204%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=EAIaIQobChM Iw9CR_tf01QIVEpMbCh3NdwT5EAQYASABEgKzl_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Some great advice here cheers. I have heard the name Weber pop up the bit of browsing I've done. I like the look of this char-broil http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6074872 although after looking on you tube they seem to rust easily.

As a few of said I'm also thinking of using it not just for barbecues but also all year round to cook them stinky foods like fish, steak etc so it's not in the house. Wil probably make a little canopy over it.
    I've stopped doing steaks in the kitchen - too much smoke and grease aerosol in the kitchen. I nip out to the BBQ (under the Gazebo if 'damp') and do the steak and finish off the baked potatoes there.......

Al

Master
    A few years ago I bought a display model Outback gas BBQ from Homebase at the end of August as they were getting rid of all the summer stuff. I only paid £80 for it (they had been selling for £360) it was unused and I didn't have to assemble either! It's worth checking in your local DIY shed after the bank holiday weekend to see if they are clearing out their stock.

Master
    I wouldn't bother bought one 5 years ago and hardly used it due to shitty wet northern weather.

Gave it away to brother-in-law.

Waste of money whatever you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    A few years ago I bought a display model Outback gas BBQ from Homebase at the end of August as they were getting rid of all the summer stuff. I only paid £80 for it (they had been selling for £360) it was unused and I didn't have to assemble either! It's worth checking in your local DIY shed after the bank holiday weekend to see if they are clearing out their stock.
    A very good point - we did similar a few years ago and got a £600 BBQ for about £250.

Gas - four burner, side ring, the lot. And the huge bonus that it was already assembled - having put a few together over the years they are a bit of a faff and not a five minute job.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I've been looking at the 4 burner one in Homebase (more burners=bigger=better obviously!).

I have a friend who cooks all their meat (roasts too) on their gas BBQ all year round.
    Mention to him about cookers in kitchens

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I had something similar from Homebase more than adequate for the not so serious barby guy but Weber are top notch.
    When I did my research (I'm no expert) pretty much everywhere said Outback or Weber. I thought they were on a par.

I'm not a chef but out at my son's place in Fla they cook outside a lot and they have a Weber.

Watching my son and daughter in law it seems the skill is in know-how and good quality meat rather than how you get your heat.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Well, as I post this we've just done s BBQ this afternoon for around twenty friends.

We get all our meat from the local independent butcher who has been here for more than a century and does fantastic BBQ boxes of chicken, steak, sausages, burgers, lamb chops and what has become our "signature" BBQ dish, ribs.

I'm a big fan of doing the chicken and ribs in huge trays in the Aga, then finishing them off with a couple of minutes on the BBQ - keeps them moist and tender, but gives the lovely BBQ taste.

I do think my trusty BBQ, a Jamie Oliver four burner is on its last legs though, so inspired by this thread I'm going to pop out tomorrow and see if there are any bargains in the local garden centres.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Weber all the way. I find a full on gas one plus a traditional charcoal one on the side is a nice combo. I do like real flames, and the camping Weber satisfies that need and can add that little bit of charring when needed. Used pretty much every day at this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Been on gas for years, a decent one with rocks does much the same and Id challenge anyone to tell the difference when they are eating. The quality of the food you put on it is the first priority
    RIAC

Master
    £65 with code 090
    You have to apply for an account- the purchase process is strange but bought a few bits from them
    http://www.studio.co.uk/shop/en/stud...SABEgL_FvD_BwE

I bought this last week. Was much easier to assemble than ones I've had before.
    Very happy with it. And it was £97, so plenty left over in your budget.
    http://www.diy.com/departments/berkl...1563314_BQ.prd
    Last edited by oristyke; 27th August 2017 at 09:19. Reason: J

Craftsman
    Another vote for Weber. I've got both gas and charcoal. The gas one gets used all year round. Kettle used mainly for roasts and paella. They last well - my first kettle went on for 25 years- and the best thing is that spares are readily available.
    Having said that I have recently been impressed with a Landsmann gas job - proper German quality engineering.

Master
    I also have a Weber spirit which i think I paid £250 for in a sale. I have had it about 6-7 years I think and it is still going fine. Easy to get any spare parts for also to prolong it's life. I have replaced the grill bars. I keep it under a cover in winter but use it all year round. I do like to bbq a steak in the snow.... Just seems fun and easy to do with gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    I also have a Weber spirit which i think I paid £250 for in a sale. I have had it about 6-7 years I think and it is still going fine. Easy to get any spare parts for also to prolong it's life. I have replaced the grill bars. I keep it under a cover in winter but use it all year round. I do like to bbq a steak in the snow.... Just seems fun and easy to do with gas.
    We regularly have a BBQ between Christmas and New Year.

Might try doing the turkey on the Weber this year :-)

Weber q2000 I think that's the model. Bought from Argos really cheap end of season around 5 years back. Use it way more because it's so convenient . All I bbq are burgers , hot dogs, kofte. I've done chops on it before too. I wouldn't bother with coal myself it's far too much effort got the food I do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Have a look at the B&Q models - they are pretty long-lasting, and also - look for ones with ceramic-coated grill panels - they are a lot easier to clean

Al
    you want cast iron grills if you can - easy to clean and will last for ever

Master
    When I did my research (I'm no expert) pretty much everywhere said Outback or Weber. I thought they were on a par.
    From what I have seen of outback, they are not in the same league as Weber

A few years ago I got a Weber Q from B&Q for half price, end of summer sale, around this time of year. I've used it loads.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    From what I have seen of outback, they are not in the same league as Weber
    Agree Webern are better quality but they do cost more. My Outback was OK but rusted through after a few years.

Craftsman
    Just back from glamping in France where there supplied a Weber Q2000 gas BBQ, it was amazing!
    I have been on a Weber cookery course so a bit biased and have always cooked on a Weber kettle previously.
    I will be buying a Q2000 asap!

Oh and as has already been said always cook with the lid down, you would not believe the number of people on the campsite trying to use them open and not getting great heat.

Master
    Can do a great chicken on a Q
    IMG_1652 by biglewie, on Flickr

^ She's a beauty!

Weber all the way - personally prefer charcoal, although may opt into a gas Weber for next year.
    Speed of prep which Gas provides is something that appeals.

I bbq twice a week
    Get whatever in your price range but if u can prefer the well known brands
    Make sure u know how to clean it
    You can upgrade later on if u really use it often
    Charcoal or gas is all about how visually want the whole set up
    We use charcoal for kebab and souvla ( big pieces of lamb)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    We regularly have a BBQ between Christmas and New Year.

Might try doing the turkey on the Weber this year :-)
    I have cooked lamb joints on the bbq which go well. Never tried a chicken or turkey though.

I did try carrots once...not sure what i was expecting but they did not come out well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I use my Weber spirit a lot throughout the year for the last 5 years. I have the smallest 2 burner model which is sufficient for family use and I think was around 300

The igniter failed lasted week but that's the only issue I've had. I believe it came with a 20 year anti corrosion warranty too!

If I need to buy another BBQ in the future it will be a Weber for sure

Master
    Another vote for the Webber Q had it a couple of years now and it's superb and also extremely easy to clean

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    I have cooked lamb joints on the bbq which go well. Never tried a chicken or turkey though.

I did try carrots once...not sure what i was expecting but they did not come out well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hmm. My slow cooked/smoked lamb didn't turn out at all well, but I've done chickens a few times.

I'm doing a whole "beer can" chicken today with Brewdog's Elvis Juice, surrounded by peppers, onions, courgettes and chorizo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Another vote for the Webber Q had it a couple of years now and it's superb and also extremely easy to clean
    How do you clean them? I heard you cook on it and leave it until you come to use it again. Then blast the heat for 10 mins and scrape off whatever mess?

That's pretty much it.

With the fat running into a removable/disposable tray underneath.

I'm off camping soon and am considering a Q1200 to take with me.

Oh, and B&Q had the Q1000 for £171 today. Not a massive saving, but under the OPs £200.

The budget BBQs were discounted a lot more