closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorcycle Airbag jackets?

Blog Entries

Motorcycle Airbag jackets?

So the question is does anyone use this type of jacket/vest which has rapidly inflating airbags built into it?

Seen some advertised and wondered if anyone had any experience of them. Would appreciate any feedback.

Regards
    Ian

Master
    My sister used something similar for horse riding, to provide spinal protection. She had a bad fall and broke a femur as the horse rolled on her, and the ambulance crew who attended her were trying to get her to stay still, whilst she was trying to deflate the jacket, which was crushing her chest and making it hard to breathe - but it protected her spine OK.

"OUCH!!!!"

I know the chap who runs my local Dianese Chelmsford outlet, he asked me to test their budget Hi-Viz vest when they were out on the local High Street. I was mightily impressed, here should be the video: -

https://www.facebook.com/darren.ingr...type=3&theater

The support and rigidity offered was superb and the inflation was a shock to say the least. If I still had my bikes I'd buy one, although he did say you could even wear it for horse riding, skiing or other high risk activities.

Craftsman
    I know a chap who had an off last week and he claims one of these saved him from serious injury

If I had the right bike - ie one with the smart connection to them then I think I would go for one. At the moment I would lose my rucksack (don't have room for panniers etc) and would be tethered to the bike.

Definitely makes sense as more bikes start to come through D-Air equipped.

Blog Entries
    Some interesting thoughts guys thanks.

I was looking at these,
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ntent_cat/1672

Craftsman
    I use a Helite black vest when on my sports bike, I never needed it yet,,,, I bought it last year at the NEC show, I dont bother wearing it when commuting on the Maxi scooter though.
    Not a lot i can say really, fits over your normal jacket, a bit more hassle wearing it , but you do feel more secure if the worst happened.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    I use a Helite black vest when on my sports bike, I never needed it yet,,,, I bought it last year at the NEC show, I dont bother wearing it when commuting on the Maxi scooter though.
    Not a lot i can say really, fits over your normal jacket, a bit more hassle wearing it , but you do feel more secure if the worst happened.
    Sounds pretty good. Was thinking about a jacket but maybe the vest would be better as it can be worn over different jackets. Think I need to find somewhere to try them on.

Blog Entries
    Just wondered if anyone else had any experience of using these and what makes they have? Ta!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I’ve had a Helite for a couple of years and wear it on my bikes (just sold an R1200R and bought a Multistrada 1260s)
    I find it fine. I bought the hi viz one which may or may not have already saved my life, but is not as cool as the black one which a few of my biker pals wear.

I also have friends who paid mega-bucks for the Dianese jackets with gps and batteries in them, but none of us have had to use them yet, luckily.

I have seen one go off twice, the chap who sold it to me at NEC show did it to me while I was wearing one. Quite a shock but very good support and solidity.

I’m happy with it, but am currently thinking of stopping it for the Helite Touring jacket in grey.......but the. Hi viz is so good at getting you seen!

I’ve always been nervous of being crashed into from behind by a car and think having the hi viz back showing might make you far more visible to oncoming cars at lights and junctions.

OOK - you e been thinking about getting one for 2 years according to this thread! I’d say you need to make a decision before you next ride your bike and stick to it. You don’t want to be on the spinal ward saying “why didn’t I get one?”

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.airvest.co.uk/product/helite-airnest-original-air-nest/

I think they’ve just brought out an updated 2020 version that looks a bit cooler and is available in orange too.

Here you go.

Helite is the company that makes them. Airvest is the UK importer.

The new Turtle 2 is on the Helite page.

If you fancy buying my Turtle 1 and giving it a go, then I’ll buy the new grey touring jacket. 

https://helite.com/airbag-motorcycle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve had a Helite for a couple of years and wear it on my bikes (just sold an R1200R and bought a Multistrada 1260s)
    I find it fine. I bought the hi viz one which may or may not have already saved my life, but is not as cool as the black one which a few of my biker pals wear.

I also have friends who paid mega-bucks for the Dianese jackets with gps and batteries in them, but none of us have had to use them yet, luckily.

I have seen one go off twice, the chap who sold it to me at NEC show did it to me while I was wearing one. Quite a shock but very good support and solidity.

I’m happy with it, but am currently thinking of stopping it for the Helite Touring jacket in grey.......but the. Hi viz is so good at getting you seen!

I’ve always been nervous of being crashed into from behind by a car and think having the hi viz back showing might make you far more visible to oncoming cars at lights and junctions.

OOK - you e been thinking about getting one for 2 years according to this thread! I’d say you need to make a decision before you next ride your bike and stick to it. You don’t want to be on the spinal ward saying “why didn’t I get one?”

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.airvest.co.uk/product/he...inal-air-nest/
    Hi, yes keep thinking and never got around to it. Now with a new bike I think I'll have to decide soon! Nice to hear real world experiences though, there are quite a few types/brands.

Thanks
    Ian

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I’ve often thought about these, they have been about for quite a while now and racers use them. However, heres my thoughts. For track use there are probably a good investment, as if you come off you tend to ‘bounce’ along until you stop due to the run off areas and generally there are no walls, parked cars, trees or oncoming vehicles etc to stop you.

For road use I see them as an expensive luxury. I get that they may well prevent some bone type trauma, but if you’re gonna hit a tree etc at any speed with any type of protection, I still think something will snap/break, and my money says it isnt the tree. I tend to think good abrasion resistance clothing with decent boots and gloves is ok for the road in most cases. D30 armour in the usual places and decent quality gear has done me for a hell of a lot of miles on the bikes.

Just my own thoughts at the mo

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My mate whom rides in BSB is sponsored by J&S and this year they provided him with 2 Frank Thomas air suits...(they’re actually Dainese) as he had to go to the Dainese factory to be measured up...

Anyway he had a bad round at Brands a couple of weeks ago a crash in practice, a massive blow up in the first race which caused him to go down again...

Not a single mark on him... he swears by this technology, especially after breaking his back 2 years ago in a monster crash at Cadwell when wearing a normal suit...

Craftsman
    Cracking pics there! Your mate is right to swear by technology, I broke many bones racing years ago that this sort of thing would have probably reduced to bruises. It doesn't matter IMO if your racing or just bimbling to the shops on a scooter, use the best you can afford & hope you never have to need it although on a race track it's only a matter of time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Here you go.

Helite is the company that makes them. Airvest is the UK importer.

The new Turtle 2 is on the Helite page.

If you fancy buying my Turtle 1 and giving it a go, then I’ll buy the new grey touring jacket. 

https://helite.com/airbag-motorcycle

To be honest I was thinking of one of their integrated jackets, or the leather vest, (apparently you can even stitch your patches on them!) I think the jackets are probably easier because you only have to wear one garment.
    Was hoping someone had used the Dainese or Ixon brands as well for an idea on those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

To be honest I was thinking of one of their integrated jackets, or the leather vest, (apparently you can even stitch your patches on them!) I think the jackets are probably easier because you only have to wear one garment.
    Was hoping someone had used the Dainese or Ixon brands as well for an idea on those.
    The problem I have is that I’ve spent a fortune on Gortex Dainese jackets and trousers etc, and to then upgrade and buy it all again is just going to be to expensive..🙁🙁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I’ve often thought about these, they have been about for quite a while now and racers use them. However, heres my thoughts. For track use there are probably a good investment, as if you come off you tend to ‘bounce’ along until you stop due to the run off areas and generally there are no walls, parked cars, trees or oncoming vehicles etc to stop you.

For road use I see them as an expensive luxury. I get that they may well prevent some bone type trauma, but if you’re gonna hit a tree etc at any speed with any type of protection, I still think something will snap/break, and my money says it isnt the tree. I tend to think good abrasion resistance clothing with decent boots and gloves is ok for the road in most cases. D30 armour in the usual places and decent quality gear has done me for a hell of a lot of miles on the bikes.

Just my own thoughts at the mo

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Up until now that has been my level of protection. (a lot less in my youth I must add, when I think I must have been pretty lucky!). Can't help thinking that anything which may lessen the knocks is a good thing. Careful riding is the best protection but we all know it's just a matter of time until we meet the driver/rider who isn't paying attention. (hopefully I'll be in the car when it happens!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The problem I have is that I’ve spent a fortune on Gortex Dainese jackets and trousers etc, and to then upgrade and buy it all again is just going to be to expensive..
    Thats the dilemma, unfortunately. Although my leather and textile jackets would all still be useable with a vest type one I really fancy having it integrated into the jacket. One garment not two.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Up until now that has been my level of protection. (a lot less in my youth I must add, when I think I must have been pretty lucky!). Can't help thinking that anything which may lessen the knocks is a good thing. Careful riding is the best protection but we all know it's just a matter of time until we meet the driver/rider who isn't paying attention. (hopefully I'll be in the car when it happens!)
    I had the Sidi airbag jacket circa £400, but it was on eof those fabric-with-waterproof liner jacket which is awful for wet weather riding.(never dries out)
    My commuting gear is either Rukka merlin or Rukka Arma-s (for winter), I have a rukka vest thingy that has a chest and back protector, very comfy, have a look on the rukka site
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
    I had the Sidi airbag jacket circa £400, but it was on eof those fabric-with-waterproof liner jacket which is awful for wet weather riding.(never dries out)
    My commuting gear is either Rukka merlin or Rukka Arma-s (for winter), I have a rukka vest thingy that has a chest and back protector, very comfy, have a look on the rukka site
    Andy
    Thanks will take a look.

Blog Entries
    Well, messaged the people at Helite asking where I could try on a range of their jackets. Chap called Lee emailed me back and said no worries he could come to mine and bring the ones I was interested in! Thought I'd have the leather one but after trying them on decided to go for the textile one in grey. Fit's a treat and I'm well pleased with it.

It's this one
    https://www.helite.com/moto-airbag-jacket-vented-mesh

Looks a great and safe piece of kit mate. But more suited to warmer (drier) months.
    Nice Christmas present in any case!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Looks a great and safe piece of kit mate. But more suited to warmer (drier) months.
    Nice Christmas present in any case!
    Yes it is very good! A definite step forward in rider protection. You’re right about it being suited to warmer months, although it does come with a separate wind proof and waterproof under jacket as well. I tried on the leather one but it just didn’t feel right or look right. They do a winter version as well but being a fine weather biker these days I wouldn’t need it!!

Fair weather biker, that was when you had a HD. Now with the RE you can venture outside in all seasons
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Fair weather biker, that was when you had a HD. Now with the RE you can venture outside in all seasons
    Us old ones need to keep warm 😂😂😂