closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega servicing in Essex/East London

Omega servicing in Essex/East London

I'm looking to get my SMP serviced, can anyone advise me on an Omega authorised place in either Essex or East London?

I know that Swiss Time Services in Hockley are highly regarded. Omega's web site lists Timewise Services in Southend-on-sea.

Any advice/info on these or other recommended places would be greatly appreciated.

www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com

Simon used to be the Head Watchmaker/Workshop Manager at STS, and he's a top bloke. Busy though.
    Last edited by hhhh; 24th August 2017 at 15:10.

Simon Freese definitely!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Only reason to look elsewhere than Simon is if you need any significant parts such as a bezel, crystal or bracelet links etc since I am not sure he has the same access to such things he had when at STS. He is rather cheaper than them though for the actual servicing.

Craftsman
    I had my Girard-Perregaux serviced by Swiss Time (who mainly do Omega). I thought they were very good.

Grand Master
    Depends whether it's a co-axial or not. If it's a cal 1120 (aka ETA 2892) It's very straightforward to service and any half-decent repairer can service it. Co-axials are more demanding and there's more scope for problems,they really need to go to someone who's got plenty of experience with them.

Replacing all the seals is wise if the watch is getting old. That's easy to do but getting the right sized O rings is a challenge.

Paul

Well, that's a very strong recommendation for Simon, thanks very much to all of you!

I don't think I'll need any significant parts - as far as I can tell, the only thing that's wrong with it is that it runs slow, so I'll contact Simon and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Depends whether it's a co-axial or not. If it's a cal 1120 (aka ETA 2892) It's very straightforward to service and any half-decent repairer can service it. Co-axials are more demanding and there's more scope for problems,they really need to go to someone who's got plenty of experience with them.

Replacing all the seals is wise if the watch is getting old. That's easy to do but getting the right sized O rings is a challenge.

Paul
    Unfortunately I don't know what any of that means, as I'm a "like the watch, don't know much about how they work" kind of person. Please don't feel that you have to explain it to me though!

The watch is a 2254.50 and as I said above, I don't think there are any major issues with it, so I'm sure Simon can handle it.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hotspur View Post
    Well, that's a very strong recommendation for Simon, thanks very much to all of you!

I don't think I'll need any significant parts - as far as I can tell, the only thing that's wrong with it is that it runs slow, so I'll contact Simon and see what he says.

Unfortunately I don't know what any of that means, as I'm a "like the watch, don't know much about how they work" kind of person. Please don't feel that you have to explain it to me though!

The watch is a 2254.50 and as I said above, I don't think there are any major issues with it, so I'm sure Simon can handle it.

Thanks again for your help.
    Non coaxial then so simpler to service 😊

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Non coaxial then so simpler to service 
    Cheers!

No criticism of Simon but I'm not sure he is "Omega approved" as requested by the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    No criticism of Simon but I'm not sure he is "Omega approved" as requested by the OP.
    That's a fair point, and thanks for pointing it out.

From what I have read, he was the main man at STS for quite some time? So although he may not be officially approved by Omega now that he has his own operation, I'm confident in his abilities, knowledge and professionalism and would be happy for him to do the work for me. :)

Master
    Simon's abilities are not in doubt. The difference the accreditation will make will be his access to parts. This is why in my earlier reply I made the point that if any major case parts are needed, the sort not available at trade suppliers like Cousins, Gleave or Otto Frei, an authorised place like STS or OSC may be preferable, if they are not then Simon's work will be identical or better than STS and likely to be ~30% cheaper. There is actually a good reason why Simon is not accredited. If he were, he would not be able to take on Cat 4 & 5 repairs (such as Pre-Moon Speedmasters etc) as Omega now insists approved repair agents now send these to Bienne or at least that is my understanding.
    Last edited by Padders; 26th August 2017 at 20:14.