TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holy Rolex!

Master

Holy Rolex!

Journeyman
    Great shots ,great watches !

I really really like the Cellini . Looks an impressive event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics and looks like a great event.

Master
    That Cellini is the pick of the bunch there - lovely!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    That Cellini is the pick of the bunch there - lovely!
    I surprised myself by thinking that too!

Nice to see the C of E branching out. Do they have money lenders in there as well?

I was born in Lichfield, brings back memories

I was christened in a Rolex boutique

Craftsman
    wonder if the Vic had it away with one under his frock

Some very nice watches there, loving the Skydwellers and looking forward to getting "ze call" (sometime maybe...)

Now I'm not a religious man but there seems something very odd (to me at least) about having a Rolex event in a church. Like letting the fox into the hen house. Or the weight watchers class into the cake shop. Still, as long as the Vicar's happy?

That scene strikes me as being extremely tacky, to be honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I was christened in a Rolex boutique
    And they keep your christening day baby boots till your 18th birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    That scene strikes me as being extremely tacky, to be honest.
    Agreed, though in the tackiness stakes I am struggling to decide which is worse - Lichfield Cathedral for hosting an exclusive event aimed at flogging expensive watches, or Rolex for thinking that "More than a Sign, a Commitment." is an appropriate tagline in a religious venue.

The marketeers from both organisations deserve the "Irony of the Year" award.

Nice watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Agreed, though in the tackiness stakes I am struggling to decide which is worse - Lichfield Cathedral for hosting an exclusive event aimed at flogging expensive watches, or Rolex for thinking that "More than a Sign, a Commitment." is an appropriate tagline in a religious venue.

The marketeers from both organisations deserve the "Irony of the Year" award.

Nice watches though.
    I seriously doubt Rolex had anything to do with it; it's far more likely that it was solely the local dealer's idea of a tasteful display.

But yes, quite off-putting on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    And they keep your christening day baby boots till your 18th birthday
    The manager made the sign of the coronet on my forehead with Moebius Synt-A-Lube

From the Lichfield Cathedral website:

VENUE HIRE
    The Cathedral is the only medieval three-spired Cathedral in the UK - the perfect setting for your event!

It has played host to a great range of events including formal dinners, graduation ceremonies, concerts, exhibitions, lectures, product launches, markets, festivals, location filming and more.

The Cathedral is a prestigious venue which can be transformed to suit the needs of your organisation. We can offer a box office, as well as interval refreshments and other catering, from our Cafe, Chapters. We will also allow external caterers.

Events can take place in the Cathedral itself, or in one of the other charming properties in The Close.

These buildings cost a tremendous amount to keep maintained, and are generally encouraged to exploit the value of the space as much as possible. I would guess that commercial activities like these are restricted to the nave, kept far away from the choir and the sanctuary and the altars. Also: shiny, useless, overpriced tat is available in every cathedral shop in the land.

And to be fair to the Cathedral, although luxury watches don't mesh very well with the stuff about a rich man passing through the eye of a camel etc, there's nothing inherently inethical about watches - no sweatshops, no ravaging of the environment, no exploitation of distant peasants etc

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    wonder if the Vic had it away with one under his frock
    I don't think this comes across the way you meant it to!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nice. I like the Air King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    I don't think this comes across the way you meant it to!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    i don't know what you mean

Craftsman
    Very similar to a well known preserved railway that hired out a train in all innocence and it was used to film a well known blue movie a year or two back, certainly a product launch of one form or another

These buildings cost a tremendous amount to keep maintained, and are generally encouraged to exploit the value of the space as much as possible. I would guess that commercial activities like these are restricted to the nave, kept far away from the choir and the sanctuary and the altars. Also: shiny, useless, overpriced tat is available in every cathedral shop in the land.

And to be fair to the Cathedral, although luxury watches don't mesh very well with the stuff about a rich man passing through the eye of a camel etc, there's nothing inherently inethical about watches - no sweatshops, no ravaging of the environment, no exploitation of distant peasants etc
    Absolutely - and fair dues to the Cathedral for spotting a market. I know from our local village church just how expensive these facilities can be to run.

The irony, though, is priceless.

Lichfield Cathedral is dedicated to St Chad. When St Chad was Bishop of York he devoted himself to humility and self-denial. He then resigned the bishopric in a dispute over its validity, citing that he had always felt unworthy of the position. This act of humility resulted in his appointment as Bishop of Mercia, which is how Lichfield ended up as the seat of the diocese, and hence how the Cathedral came to be.

Somehow I doubt humility and self-denial were much in evidence at the the Rolex event

I lived for a while in Lichfield and the cathedral was one of the very few nice things about it. One summer evening we took a friend out to show him round, starting with the chavs cruising up and down the Birmingham Road in their twatted-up Fiestas and Corsas and then a nice big fight involving about 30 people outside the restaurant we were in. One lucky fellow probably didn't notice how much he was bleeding but he left a trail to the cash machine and on to a variety of pubs, you could still follow the spots of blood the next day. We ended the night in the Angel, a complete hole of a pub but generally always good fun, where someone suggested my girlfriend's tattoo was Polish and the bouncer had to help him out the door. Another typical night in Lichfield...
    "A man of little significance"

Lovely building, the lighting looks really good. used to have a colleague who was part of cathedral masons team.

Wonder how long it will be for the bishop has "sponsored by amigo loan sharks" embroidered on the back of his cassock...
    Last edited by sestrel; 15th August 2017 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Did anyone else notice that none of the people in the wrist shots have fingers? Or was it just the photographer being a bit rash on the trigger? A bit of extra time would've saved his bacon though with better shots rather than trotting through all the available pieces before they lose their value.
    ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

[...]there's nothing inherently inethical about watches - no sweatshops, no ravaging of the environment, no exploitation of distant peasants etc
    Well, that really depends on the brand. ;)

Craftsman
    i don't know what you mean
    Choir boys have to be stored somewhere 😳

Master
    What a bloody tacky and tasteless event.

I could almost wish someone would have gone in there and tipped the tables over shouting "den of thieves".

Craftsman
    the local vagrant/tramp should have gate crashed it in a Les Patterson stylee

When was this?
    They are my local AD and I didn't know anything about it. Would like to have tried on the Sky D's. I assume they were the dummies, that have been doing the rounds.

A Rolex event in a church, wrong on so many levels, just a massive reminder of the greedy messed up times we live in. The sign of the cross has a nice new crown.
    I would have told my AD to shove it up his arse if our local Rolex roadshow was in a church (or any place of worship of any religion), what an absolute disgrace.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    A Rolex event in a church, wrong on so many levels, just a massive reminder of the greedy messed up times we live in. The sign of the cross has a nice new crown.
    I would have told my AD to shove it up his arse if our local Rolex roadshow was in a church (or any place of worship of any religion), what an absolute disgrace.

Whilst I wouldnt have put it so strongly, I certainly do agree in principal.

I don't find that too strongly-worded — if anything, I think he's being restrained.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post

I tend to agree, there are so many other nice modern and classic buildings around that a religious venue should be just that and nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I think its quite appropriate. Consumerism and materialism is the new religion.
    Have you been watching those 1970s Zombie films again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Nice to see the C of E branching out. Do they have money lenders in there as well?
    Nicely put. I agree with others who think that a cathedral shouldn't be hosting this kind of event. Can't imagine a mosque or synagogue doing this.

Craftsman
    Impressive venue, I wont get in to whether its right or not but its impressive none the less.

Master
    Salloways are my closest Rolex AD but I've never had a decent experience with them either in purchasing or aftersales. I have been on their waiting list for a Daytona for a long time, going back to the pre-ceramic days. However, when a good friend of mine bought a day-date from them recently, he was given the next Daytona that came in as a sweetener (with a £500 discount )! I don't even look in their window any more.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Salloways are my closest Rolex AD but I've never had a decent experience with them either in purchasing or aftersales. I have been on their waiting list for a Daytona for a long time, going back to the pre-ceramic days. However, when a good friend of mine bought a day-date from them recently, he was given the next Daytona that came in as a sweetener (with a £500 discount )! I don't even look in their window any more.
    "Chav-o-ways" seems more apt given this thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    "Chav-o-ways" seems more apt given this thread.
    Quite right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I lived for a while in Lichfield and the cathedral was one of the very few nice things about it. One summer evening we took a friend out to show him round, starting with the chavs cruising up and down the Birmingham Road in their twatted-up Fiestas and Corsas and then a nice big fight involving about 30 people outside the restaurant we were in. One lucky fellow probably didn't notice how much he was bleeding but he left a trail to the cash machine and on to a variety of pubs, you could still follow the spots of blood the next day. We ended the night in the Angel, a complete hole of a pub but generally always good fun, where someone suggested my girlfriend's tattoo was Polish and the bouncer had to help him out the door. Another typical night in Lichfield...
    Hey! Lichfield is one of the better Towns in this parish

the local vagrant/tramp should have gate crashed it in a Les Patterson stylee
    I would have done if I'd have known about it

Reminded me of a 90's song:

"Here we go again

Here we go-go-go to the temple of consumption
    Get your gear and start to spend
    Here we go-go-go with a total dedication"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    Would like to have tried on the Sky D's.
    Seems appropriate. Clearly the Trinity would each be wearing a Sky Dweller. Wonder if they got a discount for buying three at the same time?

Just saw this - maybe Rolex is not so bad after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40934331

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app