closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Rolex post

Craftsman

Another Rolex post

I have been putting off purchasing a Rolex Daytona 16520 for some time but have decided I can't wait any longer. In Jan this year I was offered a loose 16520 for £9000 but thought this was a bit too steep; in early 2016 I found one for £8000 and didn't buy (stupid me!!).

I appreciate the 10% Rolex price rise has had an impact on second hand prices and the weakening pound has increased demand from foreign trade. Which brings me to my question:

What would you think a fair price for a loose 'S' series 16520 in good condition.

I would usually go to Chrono24, Watchfinder and SC to see what's sold. However it seems none have passed through SC in a while and other shops are having a punt a really high prices with no biters.

It seems all SS sports Rolex prices had risen sharply in the last 2 years , however in the last few months I've noticed they are not not selling at these inflated prices, it may just be my imagination.

I know the right price for me is the one I am willing to pay and someone is willing to sell at, the problem is I am not sure if my bench mark price needs realigning and thought here may be a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bought this recently serviced example 18 months ago for £7500 (iconic watches)

If I were selling I'd expect it would go quickly at £8500. It has box papers etc

Based on that I'd expect a nice loose one to be around £8k.

Last edited by Enoch; 14th August 2017 at 17:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I bought this recently serviced example 18 months ago for £7500 (iconic watches)

If I were selling I'd expect it would go quickly at £8500. It has box papers etc

I think it would go quickly at £8500. Nice looking watch. I've seen a few 116520 around 11k (dealer price) not selling and the 16520 at 14-15k sat gathering dust.

Master
    Forgive my ignorance but what does loose mean?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what does loose mean?
    No box and papers.

Master
    Oops sorry just spotted you were enquiring about 16520..... mine is a 116520.

Master
    I don't have an answer to the price question, though I too have the impression that some dealers overreached a few months back and haven't managed to shift stock. I'd regard 116520 prices as a floor for a nice Zenith Daytona, which has a cult following.

Does the one you are looking at have an inverted 6 on the bottom subdial? Some of the S serials do, if memory serves.

Craftsman
    Ideally an early S series with the inverted 6 , but I'm not going to pay the prices I've seen at dealers (which evidently is too high because they are not shifting).

Craftsman
    Oops sorry just spotted you were enquiring about 16520..... mine is a 116520.
    Yes but I have to admit I'm starting to think about going for the 116520 instead, both extremely nice watches IMHO.

Master
    My answer depends whether you are going to wear it every day or occasionally?

If the former 116520, simply a better built bracelet I prefer the mechanism.

If the latter (and also in respect of an investment) the 16520 Zenith is the more special piece.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    My answer depends whether you are going to wear it every day or occasionally?

If the former 116520, simply a better built bracelet I prefer the mechanism.

If the latter (and also in respect of an investment) the 16520 Zenith is the more special piece.
    I have a 16700 I wear daily and can't see this changing, which is why I am tempted by the 16520.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I have a 16700 I wear daily and can't see this changing, which is why I am tempted by the 16520.

cnjm

The 16520 is obviously the more collectible watch and an inverted 6 is even more collectible so holding back on price is not going to get you what you want.

The 116520 is the better watch because it is more robust but the 16520 is much better looking and much more sought after.

In your position of wanting to keep wearing your 16700, the 16520 is the sensible choice and I think you already know this. No one likes coughing up say £10k for a watch but I think unless you do, you will still be hunting this time next year.

Journeyman

Can't go wrong with Daytona,these only rise their value <3