closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple care

Blog Entries

Apple care

Hi, has anyone took out Apple care after a problem has occurred with an iPhone .

My daughters iPhone 7 plug blew last night. Wire is fried and plug causing the electric to go in her bedroom sockets.

The phone is unresponsive. I'm hoping the warranty is covering repair of the phone as it is less than a year old from new. I intend to take it into apple Genius Bar for diagnosis.

Anybody had similar issues? I'm unsure as I regretfully never in hindsight took out insurance or Apple care. The wires and plug are authentic Apple products so using third party accessories can't be brought into question . Just wondering if I take out Apple care will I be extra covered?

Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions or experiences similar

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don't think taking out Apple Care retrospectively will work. They run a remote diagnostic on the phone before enabling Apple Care, and if it's unresponsive...

Master
    My experience is, anything still under Apple warranty (i.e. less than a year old) will be sorted out FOC at the Apple Store anyway, regardless of whether you have Apple Care.

I've actually had stuff (a laptop most recently) repaired when it way outside of guarantee, and wasn't charged.

I'm a big fan of Apple due to their customer care. I know they get flamed by many Apple-haters, but I've always found the service in Apple Stores to be excellent.

Blog Entries
    If it's in warranty they will change it for new, full stop

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    My daughters iPhone 7 plug blew last night. Wire is fried and plug causing the electric to go in her bedroom sockets.

The wires and plug are authentic Apple products so using third party accessories can't be brought into question.
    I'd book an appointment regardless and as you said the phone is less than a year old, check out the warranty link :-

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/warra...-warranty.html

I'm sure they'll want to take the phone to investigate the issue and swap the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    If it's in warranty they will change it for new, full stop

What he said

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone.

They take safety very seriously even past 1 or 2 yrs. I had a 4 yr old laptop mains cable that started to melt and they replaced it without question. You should be fine play the safety side of it, be polite and they'll sort it! Their aftercare service has always been excellent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    They take safety very seriously even past 1 or 2 yrs. I had a 4 yr old laptop mains cable that started to melt and they replaced it without question. You should be fine play the safety side of it, be polite and they'll sort it! Their aftercare service has always been excellent.
    It's completely random. No smouldering or anything she said just a spark or bang. Anyway should I take in all the wire that's burned and plug ? Or just the phone ?

Apple care

Definitely all of it. I think they will be quite shocked (no pun intended).

I'd take a couple of pictures before you hand it over.

I think you can buy apple care at any point while the phone is still under the original warranty. The phone cover also covers accidental damage now. I had it on all my iPhones and the service has been excellent. I had a few charging issues with my old 5s and each time I was sent a new phone to swap within 2 days. Many companies could learn from apple!

Blog Entries
    Hmm I'm curious whether to wait or buy it the Apple care . I may be wasting money as it's only been bought last November.

Blog Entries

Apple care

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Definitely all of it. I think they will be quite shocked (no pun intended).

I'd take a couple of pictures before you hand it over.
    Take pics as proof? Might do that . The plug looks ok but the wire looks burnt . No idea what happened. Anyway my next problem is I pay for the phones monthly. Although I pay EE , I initially took the phones out through a deal via group on and don't actually have my e-receipt from the company that sub brokered the phone usage via EE . Im sure I've been in the past and they have all the details at Apple anyway.

Last edited by bond; 9th August 2017 at 18:30.

Master
    Hmm I'm curious whether to wait or buy it the Apple care . I may be wasting money as it's only been bought last November.

You get 60 days from purchase to buy AppleCare and have to run an online diagnostics test if buying online, see bottom of their page under Important Notes...

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/iphone.html

Blog Entries

Apple care

Thanks Liam . I see with it being 60 days past purchasing that I've well forfeited that apple care opportunity. I think I'll go down the regular route. It's within regular warranty surely and has to be a manufacturers fault in the wire or plug. They are charred. I'll just have to see what comes of it. I've read and been told also to try and link the phone to a laptop and run iTunes*. I hear this sometimes boots it back up?

Master
    Thanks Liam . I see with it being 60 days past purchasing that I've well forfeited that apple care opportunity. I think I'll go down the regular route. It's within regular warranty surely and has to be a manufacturers fault in the wire or plug. They are charred. I'll just have to see what comes of it. I've read and been told also to try and link the phone to a laptop and run iTunes*. I hear this sometimes boots it back up?

I'd book straight into your Apple Store and just leave it as it is, as said I think they'll be more than helpful under the circumstances you've said. The last thing Apple want is a similar Samsung Note scandal and they'll do all they can to rectify with as little fuss as possible

Blog Entries
    Yes your right , all booked in for Monday evening at 5pm

Blog Entries
    Hats off to Apple! No quibble or remonstrating. Replaced the phone for my daughter after running diagnostics and nothing was retrievable. Just a like for like swap . I'm pleased to say the least with Apple.

I recently took my ancient MacBook Air in for a new battery. Asked the Apple guy how long they'd need it for. He said “We quote three days, but go and have a coffee and come back for it in half an hour”. And they replaced it with a higher capacity battery at no extra cost. Can't say fairer than that.

Master
    Masters of customer retention

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Masters of customer retention
    To be fair they do charge for the privilege.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Hats off to Apple! No quibble or remonstrating. Replaced the phone for my daughter after running diagnostics and nothing was retrievable. Just a like for like swap . I'm pleased to say the least with Apple.

Great outcome Colin