closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which 41mm should I go for? Omega 2531 or Tudor Black Bay...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Which 41mm should I go for? Omega 2531 or Tudor Black Bay...

Sorry, it's another of those threads..

I'm reducing my collection down and hoping to get one nice auto diver for around £1,200. It will be used rather than new. £1,200 might be optimistic of course....

What interests me particularly is the economics of it all; prices of used goods generally follow a steady curve until used values bottom-out, then over time begin to rise as numbers become limited or the prices of new ones increase. Look at ND subs and 1990s 3 series BMWs - I've owned both and now couldn't afford either!

I'd be happy wearing either, but which would be a better economic buy - which do you think is at the bottom of it's curve, or have I missed the boat on both?

Cheers
    Meat

You'll prob get better price on the Omega. It's also a bit further along the curve you're talking about. I would say it's bottomed out. I think your search would be a long one to find a good used Black Bay for £1200 tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The bottom for early 2531 was probably about 5-7 years ago before the recent steep price rises on new Omegas so yes I would say you have missed that particularly nadir but the upward curve has been pretty slow. It has been steeper for the 2254 which has probably gained 40-50% in the past 3 years, a good one seems now not to be found for less than £1500 which is about £100-£150 more than a good 2531 at present. Note I specify a good one, a SMP with a tatty bezel and/or bracelet is worth £2-300 less than a minter in my experience. The Black bay is a much newer piece so may not yet have bottomed, the oldest 2531 is now nearly 25 years old and the newest 10 years so you may be comparing apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th August 2017 at 22:25.

Craftsman
    The particular Omega (being a great watch it is) seems too ubiquitious. Some like to consider this factor as well.
    However apart from both being being divers they are great watches at very good price. Either way yoúll choose well.

I think you need to be at least £100 higher, and probably more for the best examples. A Black Bay shouldn't need a service, whereas a £1200 Omega SMP may well need one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I've had most of the iterations of the SMP over the years and this would be my choice, think your budget will need to be increased though to find a nice one. You'll have more choice with the SMP too, 2531, 2254, 2255 etc. The BB is very well made but just too chunky IMO for what it is and you'll go without the date of course. The SMP is much more wearable IMO.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Interesting replies, and useful steers that I'm not a million miles off, or talking rubbish!

Once I've cleared the decks I'll chuck up some wanteds and see how it goes....