closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flight instrument watch like a Sinn or Spork - any others out there?

Craftsman

Flight instrument watch like a Sinn or Spork - any others out there?

I am totally in love with the looks of this Sinn "Borduhr".
    Unfortunately Sinn does not make it as a wristwatch.
    Wouldnt that look great in round 44 mm (without the square mounting part - as i dont want a Bell & Ross)

This one is close but not close enough:

and despite the fact that similar hands are used, they looks too long and not stubby enough imho.

How do you call these type of hands, so that I can search the web for other watches that might look as nice as a the above.

The 856 looks close (no subdial though).

http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/856_UTC.htm

M

Going to be very hard to find a watch with a single subdial in that position

Think those are called sword hands
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Archimede do a decent looking instrument/pilots watch line...

https://www.archimede-watches.com/wa...ronograph.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Think those are called sword hands
    They are sword hands. The variant with the lume full across the hand and cut off clean near the post hole are often also referred to as flieger hands. (Although other sword hand patterns are also referred to as flieger hands.)

Aren't they often referred to as NABO hands?

(I'm afraid I don't know what NABO is an acronym of!)
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Aren't they often referred to as NABO hands?

(I'm afraid I don't know what NABO is an acronym of!)
    Nabo is sinns trademark name for that type of aircraft clock
    I guess it's a contraction of something in German
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Nabo is sinns trademark name for that type of aircraft clock
    I guess it's a contraction of something in German
    It is indeed a contraction, not an acronym. Nabo = Navigationsborduhr = instrument panel clock in English.

I had the Steinhart Aviation, Watch Lounge Edition:
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...n-vintage.html

SAWLE
    Last edited by Broussard; 7th August 2017 at 16:22. Reason: Photo added

I have this one. Back at Steinhart for some work at present. Based on aviation cockpit instruments

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/de/f...ronograph.html

Craftsman
    Thanks for your help and conments. I wrote Sinn an email suggesting that they should make a wristwatch out of their NaBo and they kindly replied a few hours later: They like the idea but I shouldnt hold my breath for it, as it won`t happen soon. Also it is not possible to use the hands of the 856 on the 212. Very impressed with such a quick reply.

So I continued to search the web and found Laco. Thier watches are a bit on the small side and again, my favourite design is unfortunately not readily available:

Watch body of the Ju 52
    Watch of the Ju 52 with the small second in situ
    Dial and hands from the Bell X1

Whats your opinion?

Last edited by bmwrover; 9th August 2017 at 13:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post
    Thanks for your help and conments. I wrote Sinn an email suggesting that they should make a wristwatch out of their NaBo and they kindly replied a few hours later: They like the idea but I shouldnt hold my breath for it, as it won`t happen soon. Also it is not possible to use the hands of the 856 on the 212. Very impressed with such a quick reply.

So I continued to search the web and found Laco. Thier watches are a bit on the small side and again, my favourite design is unfortunately not readily available:

Watch body of the Ju 52

Whats your opinion?

Nah, they don't do it for me and so I would look for a second hand Sinn as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post

Watch body of the Ju 52

Whats your opinion?

Laco did a custom build for someone I know recently. Not cheap, though.

Blog Entries
    I modded a Seiko SKX007 to emulate the instrument panel look. I think it's in a post somewhere back in a cobwebby corner...(*coughs among dust clouds*)....

...ah, here it is:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...iko-Collection

First post, top row, second from left. (I had the proper second hand to go with the handset but it was too heavy in comparison so I didn't use it.)

Citizen bv1085-06e

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006D0UB..._Z.WIzbCT4M0ZG

Might be discontinued but you may be able to pick one up somewhere or post a WTB

Craftsman
    I flew out of Frankfurt last week on an afternoon flight to Bangkok, so I started the trip a bit earlier and stopped by at SINN for a wrist on comparison. Result: The U212 rocks and fits my big wrist perfectly. Didnt want to take the watch abroad or leave it in the car, so I will have an incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I had the Steinhart Aviation...
    I used to have the plain steel version of that, and the GMT version. Good watches. They don't sell them anymore, but they used to make a version with a subdial at 6. It's not at 12, but it might be as close as it's going to get, assuming one can be found of course.

I very nearly bought the Aviation "Edelstahl/ schwarz-orange" limited edition, but they had all sold out before I made up my mind. Still regret that, think it looks really cool. There's a picture (along with some of the other variants) down near the bottom of this page:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/galerie

Direct link to picture of the black/orange version:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/medi...1435323718.jpg

Master
    There's a member on Watchuseek who's designed a very similar chronograph to the Sinn one posted - it's based on the ETA 251.262 quartz chronograph movement, with a centre minute chronograph hand, quickset hour hand, and similar hands to the Sinn. I can't remember or find the details, but Sweets posted something here about it - it's a very good looking, very functional watch. Probably worth a PM to Sweets for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    There's a member on Watchuseek who's designed a very similar chronograph to the Sinn one posted - it's based on the ETA 251.262 quartz chronograph movement, with a centre minute chronograph hand, quickset hour hand, and similar hands to the Sinn. I can't remember or find the details, but Sweets posted something here about it - it's a very good looking, very functional watch. Probably worth a PM to Sweets for more details.

I'll guess at Paolo's pilot watch. google the A13A watch and his site is first up. mine arrives around end of September, I think a few boys on here have theirs arriving sooner so a wee review may be in order.

Master
    That's the one I was thinking of. There's an article on Worn and Wound, here: http://wornandwound.com/interview-pa...a-pilot-watch/

The watch is the one in the middle:

Craftsman
    I do resurrect this old thread because there is some news:
    One of the "facebook watch brands" kept popping up and I finally pulled the trigger on the Torgoen T10 in a clearance sale:
    https://torgoen.com/collections/clea...-silicon-strap

There was an additional 10% off for a newsletter subscription, so in total not a sum that breaks the piggy bank.

Quite pleased with the watch.
    Yes there could be some more "meat" aka casing material around the huge domed mineral glass.
    The coating feels very solid, but more like an anodized aluminium than the stated 316L. Quite light for such a big watch.
    The silicone strap wears nicely, but I changed to a 24 mm NATO and the watch still sits well planted in the middle of the wrist.

Picture will follow, forgot my phone at home today.
    Last edited by bmwrover; 21st February 2020 at 10:37.

Craftsman

The picture didnt capture it so well: The lume is more green and goes well with the green of the Bond Nato.
    Last edited by bmwrover; 21st February 2020 at 10:41.