closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonwatch Hesalite or Sapphire Crystal?

Journeyman

Moonwatch Hesalite or Sapphire Crystal?

I guess purists will say one should have the hesalite crystal if entering the modern Moonwatch domain to keep authenticity. What do you feel about this? Had anyone chosen the sapphire crystal option and reasons why? Similarly has anyone views on the hesalite. Vintage naturally excluded from this enquiry. Many thx .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The two look quite different. The hesalite in my view has a much warmer look, with more extreme refractions at angles and a nicer aspect around the edge, all of which makes it more interesting.

It's more of an indulgence though, than a day to day factor. Not really something that a passing glance would reveal.

Sapphire has the scratch proofing advantage obviously, but that is outweighed by the appeal of hesalite for me.

Master
    When I bought mine it came down to two factors. Hesalite is the correct material if you want to stay as close as possible to the original and when I compared it with a sapphire crystal I just preferred the look of the hesalite. I've had a couple of fairly bad scuffs on mine even though it isn't worn daily. They came out quite easily with polywatch however.

I think if ordering the 'original' Moonwatch, one should choose Hesalite. Not many watches can be ordered new with Perspex crystals nowadays, and there's a certain 'something' about them.

It also suits the general design of the watch; a Professional with a sapphire crystal is perhaps too austere, whereas the Hesalite adds interest through the warm look/refractions.

Scratches can be polished out and, other than cosmetic scratches, Hesalite is a tough material.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I don't have a Speedmaster at the moment but if I did it would be the sapphire nowadays.

Hesalite (just a different name for Acrylic or "Perspex") is just not durable enough for me and I got tired of seemingly constant re-polishing because I wanted the watch to "look nice" rather than a battered tool-watch. I appreciate not all owners feel the same way though.

Hesalite is harder to live with but if you want easy to live with buy a casio.
    Last edited by 01101001; 6th August 2017 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    Hesalite is harder to live with but if you want easy to live with by a casio.
    I don't think it is harder to live with per se.

Its all part of the speedies charm

Just my opinion

Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

Just my opinion

Dave
    I was always scratching the hesalite, I have never done that on a sapphire glass.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    I was always scratching the hesalite, never done that on a sapphire glass.
    Sure, cosmetically the plastic will pick up loads more marks with daily use than a glass crystal.

I just think plastic crystal is one integral part of the charm of that particular watch

Just my personal preference

Sure, cosmetically the plastic will pick up loads more marks with daily use than a glass crystal.

I just think plastic crystal is one integral part of the charm of that particular watch

Just my personal preference
    Yes I agree, it's not a moon watch without it (and polishing out the scratches is easy and a little therapeutic)

Master
    Hesalite for me. And a tritium dial for the patina.

Journeyman
    If you want a moon watch Hesalite as its aligned to the original design. Any other version of speedmaster is fine in crystal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are someone who babies your watches, the hesalite is unlikely to pick up many scuffs. I have 2, neither has picked up anything significant enough for me to reach for the polywatch. I am looking at buying a sapphire model next as I want a display back and/or a moonphase complication.

Craftsman
    I agree, hesalite all the way. It has a lovely appearance on the speedy pro. I have the FOIS which only comes with sapphire, but if I could've got it with hesalite I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    I agree, hesalite all the way. It has a lovely appearance on the speedy pro. I have the FOIS which only comes with sapphire, but if I could've got it with hesalite I would have.

Me too. Fois is the only one id like that does have a glass crystal. If it had plastic I probably would already pulled the trigger on that bad boy

Master
    Blog Entries

Pmma

Gotta be Poly(methyl methacrylate) guys!

Master
    I have the hesite and love looking at the dome

Blog Entries
    I have had three hesalite Speedies over the years and I now own a sapphire sandwich.

For me, I much prefer the sapphire crystal version which is a keeper.

Craftsman
    I wore my hesalite speedy every day for years and never had an issue with scratches. I think I only polished the crystal a few times if that.

Craftsman
    If I were buying I'd go sapphire.
    I think if it is a Dailey watch sapphire however if only occasional the hesitate

Apprentice
    The 'sapphire sandwich', for durability and the display back.

I went for the sapphire sandwich and don't regret it. Even with hesalite, a current speedy is still a little different from the Apollo watches so I wasn't persuaded by the argument that with sapphire it's not a real moon watch. The overriding factor for me was the display back. I never tire of seeing that beautiful movement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Though for about £100 you can get a display back from Thomas Priek. I've got one on my 1971 Speedie

Apprentice
    Ok, don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but.........

I've had both and this is no brainier. When I looked at my sapphire I saw nothing but the white milky ring around the dial. It's a real distraction and once you are aware of it you can't un see it. For me it dominates and ruins the watch. The hesalite on the other hand is amazing. Don't let the crystal back swing it, yes it's nice but.......you look at the front! I fitted the Mitsukoshi panda dial and what a watch! Fantastic. Go hesalite

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Ok, don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but.........

I've had both and this is no brainier. When I looked at my sapphire I saw nothing but the white milky ring around the dial. It's a real distraction and once you are aware of it you can't un see it. For me it dominates and ruins the watch. The hesalite on the other hand is amazing. Don't let the crystal back swing it, yes it's nice but.......you look at the front! Go hesalite
    Absolutely this. ^^^

I love the hesalite, it has such a beautiful 'magnifying' quality. Yes it's a tiny bit soft but it's therefore equally easy to buff out with a little Cape Cod cloth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Also, you can get a hesalite front with sapphire back, if you don't have to have a new watch...

Apprentice
    I think hesalite add really nice character to the watch. It slightly distorts the look of the dial, which I like. However, sapphire glass is so much more robust, and the FOIS Speedmaster is infinitely better looking than the pro. Comes down to what you want from the watch.

Craftsman

Moonwatch Hesalite or Sapphire Crystal?

IMG_3098.JPG
    FOIS with sapphire. Milky ring referred to is clear as day. It personally doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. As I said, if I could've had it with hesalite I would have, but the sapphire is great and very practical for day to day wearing.

The number of times I've knocked the glass on desks etc and been thankful it has the sapphire glass... I can't be doing with getting the polywatch out every other week!

Last edited by axb601; 7th August 2017 at 08:04.

Craftsman
    once you notice the milky white ring of the sapphire it's impossible to not see it.

Is it possible to actually get a "moonwatch" with a sapphire? If so, what model is it? I can't see it on the Omega site, or any of the online ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Is it possible to actually get a "moonwatch" with a sapphire? If so, what model is it? I can't see it on the Omega site, or any of the online ADs.
    The old reference code was 3753.50.00, if memory serves, for the Sapphire Sandwich

Apprentice
    Hesalite / Sapphire is the ideal combo however these are quite old now. Ref 3572.50 is the best however as Sinatra said......I did it my way

Craftsman

Just my opinion

Dave
    I agree. The plexi somehow just belongs to the moonwatch and gives it a more retro touch.

I would say hesalite crystal to keep authenticity and it has a lovely warm look to it which you don't get with a sapphire crystal.

It will pick up scratches easier but these can be polished out with poly watch if they bother you or just leave them to add patina and make the watch yours.

Master
    Having had both, they are both very enjoyable to own. If I had one again, I think I would seek out the hesalite sandwich.

Apprentice
    I really cant decide on hesalite or sapphire. Hopefully going to try both on tomorrow. Mine wont be a daily wear, just nice evenings and weekends and I’m very carful when wearing a luxury watch so the hesalite hopefully wouldn’t get marked much.

On the other hand i cant help but think a watch of this value should have a sapphire face.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post
    On the other hand i cant help but think a watch of this value should have a sapphire face.
    Why do you think this?

I'm not disputing your thought, just trying to understand it better. I am also thinking of a Speedy and wondering if the approximately 20% extra cost is justified. The photos of the milky white ring round the edge of the sapphire version is the other clear downside. The ability to see the working mechanism the big upside.

I'm just very undecided.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    Why do you think this?

I'm not disputing your thought, just trying to understand it better. I am also thinking of a Speedy and wondering if the approximately 20% extra cost is justified. The photos of the milky white ring round the edge of the sapphire version is the other clear downside. The ability to see the working mechanism the big upside.

I'm just very undecided.
    To be honest i’m not really sure why i think this. I guess if feel a watch of this value shouldn’t have materials that easily scratch. But then you could say the paint on a Bugatti is no different to a Ford Fiesta.

Looking at pictures on the web, and clearly seeing the ‘milky ring’ mentioned. I am leaning towards a Hesalite.

Im hoping to go to an Omega Boutique tomorrow and try both on and a FOIS. Decisions decisions.

My Seamaster PO has the clear case back to see the movement. Its a nice novelty but i don’t really look at it anymore.

First few years i was obsessed with removing scratches from Hesalite, now i really don't care and can't even remember the last time i did. I think the Hesalite just suits the watch, the white ring on the crystal just doesn't cut it for me and outweighs its sturdyness. I think the Hesalite just suits it so much more for reasons stated above.

I can howosee why some retro fit a clear caseback on a standard moonwatch, thats a mod i have considered.

My speedy was my first watch in my collection and i can't see me ever moving it on, its a great watch in all aspects.

Master
    Without hesitation, another vote for Hesalite. Over the years I have had at least 20, maybe 30, Moonwatches and now have a '68 Transition, an original Snoopy and a recent (2014?) Hesalite. I have never had any issue with scratching. Sure, they will pick up minor scuffs which polish off without any problem; literally a couple of minutes with Polywatch etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post
    To be honest i’m not really sure why i think this. I guess if feel a watch of this value shouldn’t have materials that easily scratch. But then you could say the paint on a Bugatti is no different to a Ford Fiesta.

Looking at pictures on the web, and clearly seeing the ‘milky ring’ mentioned. I am leaning towards a Hesalite.

Im hoping to go to an Omega Boutique tomorrow and try both on and a FOIS. Decisions decisions.

My Seamaster PO has the clear case back to see the movement. Its a nice novelty but i don’t really look at it anymore.

Thanks for that, it sounds like your thought process is not too dissimilar to mine. I'm currently leaning towards the Hesalite as well. I tried one on a while back and compared it to a Speedmaster Racing with sapphire (they didn't have the Sapphire Speedy available), that didn't really help me decide. Hope you have better luck.

Craftsman
    I believe are different movements for the display back, 1861 vs 1863. Not sure if it's only cosmetic.
    With the previous ref there used to be a 3572.50 with hesalite crystal and display case back.

Grand Master
    I prefer the look of the acrylic crystal, it's just 'right' for the watch. However, it will pick up scratches but repolishing isn't difficult. Polywatch will sharpen up the appearance by taking hairline scratches out, deeper scratches need a more rigorous approach but it's not difficult. Sapphire crystals can get scratched and they can shatter if the watch gets dropped; replacement cost is much higher than the acrylic.

Should a watch at this price have a plastic crystal?..........depends on your point of view!

Paul

Master
    The movement in the display back has a metal stop for the chrono (forget what the name of the component is called) while the standard movement has the component made from Delrin, a low friction plastic like teflon. It was upgraded to Delrin some years ago, but wasn't felt to be aesthetically suitable for a display back.
    That's the only difference as far as I'm aware.

Older movements have different plating as well. My 3592.50 has a gilt plated movement for instance. The later 3572.50 has a rhodium plated movement.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I can howosee why some retro fit a clear caseback on a standard moonwatch, thats a mod i have considered.
    Really can`t see the logic in display backs. Why not take a photo of the movement, or periodically take the back off for a look? It's something I`ve never understood. I also have concerns about the increased risk of getting the watch magnetised but I don`t know how likely this is. Some manufacturers (including Omega) had an antimagnetic shield inside the caseback on some models so there must be a finite risk.

Paul

Master
    I can totally see the sentiment, if not the logic. I have a few watches whose movement is at least as beautiful as the dial. The Speedy is one of those imo. I love to look at the movement, especially as it's ticking.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I can totally see the sentiment, if not the logic. I have a few watches whose movement is at least as beautiful as the dial. The Speedy is one of those imo. I love to look at the movement, especially as it's ticking.
    Assuming you own a sapphire sandwich? How do you find the so called ‘milk ring’?

I think the hesalite adds something to the watch - Somehow it looks like a lot of other chronos with a flat crystal.

My Speedmaster has an aftermarket display back, which I like and I'm pretty sure there was an original Speedmaster with the hesalite dome and a sapphire display back, although it's not commonly seen.

M.

If you're buying the moon watch it should have the hesalite imho. There are plenty of other Speedy's to choose from in all manner of materials & combinations, but the hesalite keeps faith with the original.

Master
    The hesalite warms the appearance of the Watch this really still sets it apart from other Chrono's . The removal of scratches is pretty easy as well. With the moonwatch go hesalite .