closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A first for me... RADO (Captain Cook)

Master

A first for me... RADO (Captain Cook)

When I first heard about this watch, I was a bit unsure about the name. However looking in to the vintage model it's based around, it seemed like a very true representation and therefore homage, only brand new with modern materials and a decent movement.

The watch is just 37mm in diameter which is unusual in 2017, but it's refreshing. The crystal is really superb. It's not a dome and not a box. Somewhere in between created from Sapphire. The height of the watch is pretty slim; surprising for such a high PR movement.

Like the Oris65 it's classed as a Diver I believe, bits 100m WR. It does feel very solid though, but there's no lume pip at 12 unfortunately. However the bezel insert is ceramic and it's angled down towards the dial, so it gives the watch a larger appearance.

The brown sunburst dial is really incredible. It's better than most watches I've seen 10 times the price!! The way it plays around in the light is spectacular and the little anchor logo actually rotates when you move the watch, so it's rare to catch it in the same place twice. Finally, the lume seems relatively powerful. It's a kind of sulphur yellow in daylight but green at night. I think it suits the brown colour of the dial better than some other colours ive seen used elsewhere would.

The watch features an 80hr power reserve and it's been around for a little while in the Tissot Powermatic. So nothing amazing but I'm sure it'll be fairly accurate and robust.

Comes fitted to a decent quality brown leather strap, although I wanted to try something different. It's an 18mm lug so all I had was the Bond NATO in this size, so i'll probably look to pick up something else for it asap.

RRP is £1400ish and they've made 1962 as a limited edition.

Crappy iPhone pics... I'll try and make some better ones asap...

Last edited by W44NNE; 5th August 2017 at 17:25.

It is nice.
    I have thought about it but a tad small for me.

Is that the captain cook? Yes it's a very nice heritage reissue. 2mm larger would been nice. Handsome watch nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is nice.
    I have thought about it but a tad small for me.
    If you have tiny wrists you'll be okay. I don't think you do though. Mine is 6.75"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Is that the captain cook? Yes it's a very nice heritage reissue. 2mm larger would been nice. Handsome watch nonetheless

Sorry yes, updated the the thread title. I think 37mm works well for it in reality, but 39mm would have appealed more to people I guess.

Master
    very very nice. I've thought about these a couple of times, might wait for yours to end up on SC

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Sorry yes, updated the the thread title. I think 37mm works well for it in reality, but 39mm would have appealed more to people I guess.
    Nothing against a 37mm watch, but when you factor in the bezel width the actual readable dial is only 32 or something. This makes it a bit silly imho.

Craftsman
    I really like that. I'm not sure the size is a problem: it's very legible so doesn't need to be bigger. Plus oversized feels less classy somehow.

Nice one

Master
    Nothing against a 37mm watch, but when you factor in the bezel width the actual readable dial is only 32 or something. This makes it a bit silly imho.

Silly how? The 37 mm AP Royal Oak is probably my favourite size of that watch, and that has a bezel of course.

Very nice, but too small for me. Get it on a vintage tropic!

I really like this, elegant lugs and a vintage feel. Anchor is a bit of fun too.

As they say in the Omega forum, "dibs!" I love these and the size is perfect(well, for us skinny wrist folk anyway).

What a cracking little watch! There's a 45mm version too for those with massive wrists:

I might have been tempted by 40 to 42mm personally.

Silly how? The 37 mm AP Royal Oak is probably my favourite size of that watch, and that has a bezel of course.
    Royal Oak is more suitable for dress wear and the bezel is decoration only so 37 suits it. The Rado is a diver with diver bezel. I just think it's too small for that category. Just my opinion ofc

Craftsman
    Great looking watch! I think vintage style divers are what I'm into now, love my Oris 65 but I think your Rado might pip it.

The Rado is a diver with diver bezel. I just think it's too small for that category
    It's a replica of an old model, and this is the original size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    What a cracking little watch! There's a 45mm version too for those with massive wrists:

I like the design and can't help but think they shoulda just gone for one watch somewhere in the middle of the two sizes. I can see they wanted to stay somehow true to the original but they've ended up with small and massive rather than a crowd pleasing 39-42mm watch.

Master
    Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I like the design and can't help but think they shoulda just gone for one watch somewhere in the middle of the two sizes. I can see they wanted to stay somehow true to the original but they've ended up with small and massive rather than a crowd pleasing 39-42mm watch.
    I do get your comments but I think it's nice they've stayed so true to the original; I wouldn't have said that before actually holding the 37mm. I really don't like the 45mm model at all. The size is too large, the fonts are different etc. If they'd just gone the easy route and created a 39mm version, I don't think it would have worked as well as the 37mm.

Royal Oak is more suitable for dress wear and the bezel is decoration only so 37 suits it. The Rado is a diver with diver bezel. I just think it's too small for that category. Just my opinion ofc
    A bezel is a bezel, and the RO bezel is pretty much what the watch is known for, so it's still a big part of the function in that way; without it, the watch would just look like any other.

The Rado is very well proportioned. I'm guessing you haven't held one?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Great looking watch! I think vintage style divers are what I'm into now, love my Oris 65 but I think your Rado might pip it.
    Thanks. Certain versions of the Orgs 65 look great IMO, so I don't think you can win or lose with either the Orgs or Rado.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 5th August 2017 at 23:17.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I like the design and can't help but think they shoulda just gone for one watch somewhere in the middle of the two sizes.
    The date window would have looked weird in that case, it would have to go halfway into the 3 o'clock index.

I do get your comments but I think it's nice they've stayed so true to the original; I wouldn't have said that before actually holding the 37mm. I really don't like the 45mm model at all. The size is too large, the fonts are different etc. If they'd just gone the easy route and created a 39mm version, I don't think it would have worked as well as the 37mm.
    The details on the 37mm are much nicer, especially the font and date

Master
    A big YES from me. Reeks of good taste.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Looks great. Shame the larger version is so big. 41mm would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It's a replica of an old model, and this is the original size.
    I know but plenty brands launch heritage lines with more contemporary sizing . Some prefer the original and some don't and ofc that's fine. I just don't like it that small

I like a diver in the 39-42mm category myself but I have to say, I think they played a blinder keeping the original size as it looks superbly proportionate. Very nice watch and a big thumbs up from me.

Master
    I know but plenty brands launch heritage lines with more contemporary sizing . Some prefer the original and some don't and ofc that's fine. I just don't like it that small

We've heard....

I just don't like it that small
    Now, if you had "just" said that it was too small for your tastes, I wouldn't have said anything, but you also said

This makes it a bit silly
    and

I just think it's too small for that category
    as if it weren't a just matter of taste, but that some kind of mistake had been made.

I'm glad to see it when a manufacturer makes a reissue that is actually a reissue, and not something messed around with to suit prevailing tastes, a hopeless compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    as if it weren't a just matter of taste, but that some kind of mistake had been made.
    Hang on.

I said I thought it was a bit silly "in my honest opinion". I never stated it as fact. My opinion of its size IS a matter of taste, so I don't get your point at all. At no point have I said anything about the watch without saying it was only opinion.

I even outlined WHY it was my opinion, and equally said it was a very handsome watch. Forums not for polite opinions any more?

It's fairly obvious your own taste is for smaller watches from your reply. I won't berate you for that though

Last edited by RustyBin5; 6th August 2017 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I think they played a blinder keeping the original size as it looks superbly proportionate. Very nice watch and a big thumbs up from me.
    Can only agree. Well done to Rado for having the guts to be true to the original (I'd imagine this thread would have echoed the design meeting) - but then I prefer the SKX013 to the SKX007...

Lovely watch, OP

Master
    Looks to be keeping around 3 secs/day, so I'm very happy considering the 80 hour power reserve. Normally I find movements like that have much less accuracy.

I prefer the look of the 45mm version however the pick of these mid priced retro divers is still the 42mm Oris 65

This looks lovely, and rather good value, too.

Shame re: no lume pip on bezel, and I think that that rotating logo might wind me up.

Re size comments, I think most people would do better to wear a 37mm watch (diver's or not), than some of the oversized monstrosities out there.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 6th August 2017 at 13:43.

I like the look of that a lot - and 37mm makes it perfect for me.

The 37mm is way too small for me, I would like to try the 45mm on for size.
    When i tried on a BP 50 fathoms, for 45mm i was surprised how well it wore so this may well be the same. Another to check out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    The 37mm is way too small for me, I would like to try the 45mm on for size.
    When i tried on a BP 50 fathoms, for 45mm i was surprised how well it wore so this may well be the same. Another to check out.
    The BP has integrated lugs and is known for wearing smaller. I'm not sure the RADO would wear the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

Shame re: no lume pip on bezel, and I think that that rotating logo might wind me up.

Re size comments, I think most people would do better to wear a 37mm watch (diver's or not), than some of the oversized monstrosities out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Do you also think everyone should wear trousers with a 30" inside leg?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    38 would be an oversized monstrosity? 40? 42? What's your take on what's oversized. 40 is normal in today's market 44 would be oversized ? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Lol. This^^

Master
    Haven't seen this in real life but I can imagine this being quite small at 37 with the bezel, but at the same time, that might be part of the charm of this reissue also

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Short answer: no.

Less short answer: no, because I don't believe that watch sizes necessarily 'scale' like clothes sizes do. For example, Tony Soprano looked great wearing a 36mm Day-Date, despite being somewhat big-boned. A 36R jacket, however, wouldn't have been such a good idea.

Monstrosities was a little tongue in cheek; I wasn't really referring to TZ-UK members wearing 42mm Speedmasters, but those who look like they wear dinner plates on their wrists. These diameters aren't *that* useful anyway, as lug-to-lug seems more relevant.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 6th August 2017 at 13:46.

Master
    Short answer: no.

Less short answer: no, because I don't believe that watch sizes necessarily 'scale' like clothes sizes do. For example, Tony Soprano looked great wearing a 36mm Day-Date, despite being somewhat big-boned. A 36R jacket, however, wouldn't have been such a good idea.

Monstrosities was a little tongue in cheek; I wasn't really referring to TZ-UK members wearing 42mm Speedmasters, but those who look like they wear dinner plates on their wrists. These diameters aren't *that* useful anyway, as lug-to-lug seems more relevant.
    I think anything under 45mm is probably ok and even then as long as there isn't noticeable overhang on the wrists then why not. But I do wonder how history will view those 50mm king Kong hublot, Probably not favourably!

I saw the press release for these and thought the smaller one looked great, still do. Does the logo rotate freely or is it gradual?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    I saw the press release for these and thought the smaller one looked great, still do. Does the logo rotate freely or is it gradual?
    No it's quite hard to make it rotate tbh, so not annoying at all.

No it's quite hard to make it rotate tbh, so not annoying at all.
    I like the feature. Does it have a purpose?

Apprentice
    Hi, new to the Forum here! First post. Just picked this one up last week. Overall, I'm enjoying it, I have a smaller wrist size, so the 37 mm has been fine, but the small crown size has been very frustrating, it's way to small to even be functional, your fingers hurt when using it :-(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2thvet View Post
    Hi, new to the Forum here! First post. Just picked this one up last week. Overall, I'm enjoying it, I have a smaller wrist size, so the 37 mm has been fine, but the small crown size has been very frustrating, it's way to small to even be functional, your fingers hurt when using it :-(

Welcome to the forum. Hadn't noticed the crown being small until you mentioned it. Good job is an auto and not a manual wind I guess.

Master

V tempted by this one. How often are you having to use the crown?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    V tempted by this one. How often are you having to use the crown?

Well, so far just to wind the watch for the first time, and to set the time and date, but it'll be a watch in a rotation, so albeit not a frequent event, it's still a notable inconvenience.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Hadn't noticed the crown being small until you mentioned it. Good job is an auto and not a manual wind I guess.
    Exactly and with an 80 hour PR. It's been keeping pretty good time so far at a little over 6 sec/day.

Master
    Well, so far just to wind the watch for the first time, and to set the time and date, but it'll be a watch in a rotation, so albeit not a frequent event, it's still a notable inconvenience.

I hear you. I'm tempted by it but that's a frustrating feature. I have a squale 1521 that has a damn awkward crown position/action. I would be wearing it in a lengthy rotation so it would irk me, no doubt.

Apprentice
    also a first for me, never considered rado before... but love the looks of it, even though it's smaller than my normal pieces (38.5-44mm):