closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommended Brand of Watch Battery?

Recommended Brand of Watch Battery?

For DIY battery changes, shell out a bit more for Varta or are Duracell/Energizer perfectly acceptable? Current watches, not vintage.

Renata silver oxide?

Just make sure they are genuine and have date codes on the packaging.
    Last edited by Anygreg; 4th August 2017 at 19:14.

Blog Entries
    Not much in the price on Amazon? I wouldn't pay more than £4

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Renata silver oxide?

Just make sure they are genuine and have date codes on the packaging.
    That's the issue with Amazon - some of the prices seem too good to be true and most are from third party suppliers. I'm stuck with mail order so looking for recommendation on both supplier and brand (happy to pay for quality and longevity) really.

Have used this guy a few times for Renata, always genuine, and nice chap to deal with. Just make sure you ask for good dates when ordering

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/birchjewel...p2047675.l2559

I bought a pack of Renata from Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    +1 this :)

Master
    If you have a Seiko, you can always use Seiko batteries. They make their own. You can also use them in other watches, of course. Are they the only watch manufacturer who make batteries?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Yup, me too.

You need to buy enough to make the carriage worthwhile but you are likely (I hope!) to get genuine batteries.

Master
    I have heard grumbles from some watchmakers that Renata can leak when expired. They seemed to suggest that Varta were better for this but personally I still use Renata (and keep an eye on them), I get them in person from HS Walsh or by mail order from Cousins and add them on when ordering something else to make it worth while.

Master
    Have used this guy a few times for Renata, always genuine, and nice chap to deal with. Just make sure you ask for good dates when ordering

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/birchjewel...p2047675.l2559
    I have used them many times. Always great service.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I have used them many times. Always great service.
    Last ones I got from him in 2016 had exp 08/21. Which is great

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    If you have a Seiko, you can always use Seiko batteries. They make their own. You can also use them in other watches, of course. Are they the only watch manufacturer who make batteries?
    Renata are a subsidiary of the Swatch Group.

Personally I use Energizer, you very rarely see them leaking wish I could say the same about renata.

I Always where possible use silver oxide.

Quote taken from another site

"Renata batteries come from a Swiss company that is owned by the Swatch Group, which produces Omega, Longines, and Breguet watches. This brand is a little more expensive and often used in quartz watches because the batteries are considered long lasting and reliable. The company makes 40 different types that are constructed of silver oxide without any mercury. In the past, watch batteries contained a little mercury, but most companies have moved away from this chemical since it is toxic to the environment. Renata batteries provide about 1.55 volts and have a very low self-discharge rate; they are also leak-proof. These button cell batteries are used in Swiss quartz watches such as Rolex, Tag Heuer, and Breitling."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard somewhere that batteries designated "SW" are higher capacity the those designated "S" and should last longer.

Master
    I Always where possible use silver oxide.

Quote taken from another site

"Renata batteries come from a Swiss company that is owned by the Swatch Group, which produces Omega, Longines, and Breguet watches. This brand is a little more expensive and often used in quartz watches because the batteries are considered long lasting and reliable. The company makes 40 different types that are constructed of silver oxide without any mercury. In the past, watch batteries contained a little mercury, but most companies have moved away from this chemical since it is toxic to the environment. Renata batteries provide about 1.55 volts and have a very low self-discharge rate; they are also leak-proof. These button cell batteries are used in Swiss quartz watches such as Rolex, Tag Heuer, and Breitling."

Nice marketing flannel but the problem is they do leak occasionally, hence the comments above.

I think another problem is ensuring what you have is the genuine article and not a fake. Which to be fair isn't easy.

Master
    I think another problem is ensuring what you have is the genuine article and not a fake. Which to be fair isn't easy.
    Well if you buy from HS Walsh or Cousins you can be pretty confident they are legit, ebay maybe less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Well if you buy from HS Walsh or Cousins you can be pretty confident they are legit, ebay maybe less so.
    Agreed. Reading around the subject Maxell does look like a good alternative. I think any battery has a chance of leaking I guess. Further Renata flannel on the site does state they have made changes to there new silver oxide range. But who knows. Just read a thread on an omega with a leaking energizer battery.

So in summary Fk knows which one to get

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard somewhere that batteries designated "SW" are higher capacity the those designated "S" and should last longer.
    Might that be referring to this:

Letter suffix[edit]

After the package code, the following additional letters may optionally appear in the type designation to indicate the electrolyte used:

• P: potassium hydroxide electrolyte
    • S: sodium hydroxide electrolyte
    • No letter: organic electrolyte
    • W: the battery complies with all the requirements of the international IEC 60086-3[8] standard for watch batteries.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_cell

Master

Don't ever put a Renata in anything would be my advice. Suspected killer of my Longines Conquest VHP mechanism on 2 occasions.

Seiko or Sony.

I use Sony on a daily basis at work but Renata at home. My team fit around 35-40,000 batteries a year and I have only seen a handful of issues with Sony.

Renata did have a habit of leaking in the past but haven't seen many issues in the last couple of years.

I have seen a number of Quartz Omega SMP's with leaking Energizer batteries recently so I'd recommend avoiding these!

Craftsman
    Another vote for Sony and Renata.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It's not capacity but drain rating. An "SW" suffix indicates a low drain battery and a "W" suffix indicates a high drain battery.

It does seem to make sense that if you put a high drain battery in a low drain device then it will last longer, although I am not sure that that will always be the case.

Most watches are specified to use low drain batteries but some do need high drain. Ideally check the movement specifications to see which.

I should also add that the SW/W suffix is mainly a Maxell (and Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba) reference number thing.

Some examples:
    11.6 x 4.2mm (low drain): Renata 301 = Maxell SR43SW
    11.6 x 4.2mm (high drain): Renata 386 = Maxell SR43W

11.6 x 5.4mm (low drain): Renata 303 = Maxell SR44SW
    11.6 x 5.4mm (high drain): Renata 357 = Maxell SR44W

6.8 x 2.1mm (low drain): Renata 364 = Maxell SR621SW
    6.8 x 2.1mm (high drain): No Renata equivalent = Maxell SR621W

Cousins have some PDF battery comparison charts which can be freely downloaded and are very useful for figuring out which batteries are which. They have one that compares Renata, Energizer/Eveready, Maxell/Panasonic/Sony/Toshiba, Varta, Rayovac, Duracell, Timex, Citizen, Seiko and IEC reference numbers, and another that shows battery sizes next to Renata reference numbers. Additionally, most manufacturers seem to have their own comparison charts you can view or download.

Craftsman
    Battery nerd time

In the SR system the first number is the width of the cell in a whole number, the next two numbers are the height of the cell to one decimal point. So a 6.8 x 2.6mm 377 cell is an SR626.
    Lithium batteries CR are the same system except you use the first two numbers for the width and second two for the height to a decimal point. CR2032 is 20mm x 3.2mm

With the high drain and low drain batteries, this was far more of a thing when watches had LED's, LCD's etc. You should still put the correct drain battery in as specified as they have a different internal resistance and the movement has been designed for the correct load. The capacity of the cell is still the same, so no benefit from swapping high and low drain.

Thanks to all for the useful information. I'll be doing a bit more research into the various movements before ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Don't ever put a Renata in anything would be my advice. Suspected killer of my Longines Conquest VHP mechanism on 2 occasions.
    Sorry to read that, but then why would 2 of the most highly reputable UK watch trade suppliers continue to stock this brand? Their returns and reputation wouldn't otherwise stand it.

Seeing that this thread has been resurrected, I'll update. For non-lithium batteries, Cousins have been great value and Renata have proved reliable. Delivery charges for lithium batteries have made it more economical to purchase from Amazon, I've used Varta CR2032 and CR2025 without issue.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Delivery charges for lithium batteries have made it more economical to purchase from Amazon, I've used Varta CR2032 and CR2025 without issue.
    Any recommended Amazon vendors for Varta lithium?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Any recommended Amazon vendors for Varta lithium?
    I bought blister packs of five, sold by Amazon. Like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TYEL0YS/?th=1
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I bought blister packs of five, sold by Amazon. Like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TYEL0YS/?th=1
    Many thanks for the link.

The fact that they are sold by Amazon offers some guarantee (or so one hopes) that they are genuine.

The consensus on a professional watchmakers forum is Energizer