closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bike helmet advice needed

Craftsman

Bike helmet advice needed

Hi,

HJC IS-17 or Nolan N68

Which helmet would you recommend as a companion to a Honda Hornet and why?
    What are the differences between the two to consider and pros/cons?
    So far I've had only cheap helmet for an occasional ride, but with upcomming bike I'd like to buy better quality and these two caught my attention and liking.

Much appreciated

Blog Entries
    Not sure about the merits of those two, but generally buy the very best you can afford.

I use a Shoei.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jancik View Post
    Hi,

HJC IS-17 or Nolan N68

So far I've had only cheap helmet for an occasional ride, but with upcomming bike I'd like to buy better quality and these two caught my attention and liking.

Much appreciated
    Hello Mate,

My 2p worth would be:
    -What has a good safety rating -> https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
    -What fits the best - go to a local shop and try a load on - J&S Accessories - depends where you live...
    -Which is the lightest - you won't have a fairing to hide behind and you'll notice how heavy your head gets when you get up to speed :-)
    -Not a nasty plastic one
    -I have a Shoei for best and a Caberg V2R for visiting pillion buddies and that's comparable to yours in terms of £ and has a 5* rating

Good luck and keep the shiny side upright
    Adam

Master
    Hi,

HJC IS-17 or Nolan N68

Much appreciated
    Always buy a helmet that fits your head shape. For example Shoei fit rounder heads, Arai fits longer front to back etc. If the HJC or Nolan suit you, wear them in the shop for at least 10 mins, like Adam says above. They should both feel tight, but not headache inducing tension. Look for features you want , venting pinlock, ease of fitting intercoms, weight etc.

Then select, BUT remember most shops will not accept returns on bike helmets so pick the one you want to keep.

Steve

Don't get too hung up on brands.
    A £50 cheapo Chinese helmet that fits you 100% perfectly will give you far more protection than a £500 top end jobbie.
    Remember...it's FIT first.
    Every time.
    Take your time getting it right, don't buy internet/mail order unless you've already tried for the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Don't get too hung up on brands.
    A £50 cheapo Chinese helmet that fits you 100% perfectly will give you far more protection than a £500 top end jobbie.
    Remember...it's FIT first.
    Every time.
    Take your time getting it right, don't buy internet/mail order unless you've already tried for the fit.
    This.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hi,

HJC IS-17 or Nolan N68

Much appreciated
    I've had multiple Arais, Shoeis and a few cheapies. The best helmets feel nice on your head as long as you've bought the right size and style for your riding. If you only ride sports bikes eg CBR6/Blade/R1 then you don't want a helm that sits low on your brow as that will give you a stiff neck in a crouched position. For touring/retro bikes (like Hornets, Fazer and adventure bikes) I would recommend a good flip front. I use a scooter and a Street Triple and have literally just bought a new helmet which is the Shark EVO 1 which is probably the best helmet I have ever bought. I recommend you look at one.
    One last thing; I always buy white helmets for two reasons 1) Drivers usually do a double take when they see a white helmet 2) they are generally cheaper than coloured or race rep.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Always buy a helmet that fits your head shape. For example Shoei fit rounder heads, Arai fits longer front to back etc. If the HJC or Nolan suit you, wear them in the shop for at least 10 mins, like Adam says above. They should both feel tight, but not headache inducing tension. Look for features you want , venting pinlock, ease of fitting intercoms, weight etc.

Then select, BUT remember most shops will not accept returns on bike helmets so pick the one you want to keep.

Steve
    I heard the shoeI aria thing. They do fit different and I've had both. Perhaps i have an in-between head as yes they felt different but you I got use to it?

Typing this left handed as I recently broke/fractured many bones in my right arm coming off a near stationary bike, always wear a BLOODY helmet.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Typing this left handed as I recently broke/fractured many bones in my right arm coming off a near stationary bike, always wear a BLOODY helmet.
    Did you break your arm because you weren't wearing a helmet?

Back to the OP, don't limit yourself on brand - go,try lots on and buy well in a sale and you won't go too far wrong.

I find Arai and Shoei both fit well, but Arai just that little bit more plush for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

I bought a HJC IS-17 a few weeks back from M&P, a great helmet and a great fit ..... has the flip down sun visor and pin lock visor, 10/10 from me

A very good helmet at a reasonable price

I would agree with the comments above. Try a range of helmets. I have an Arai and it's just feels lovely on. I did have a cheap helmet for commuting but much prefer the Arai. I have also tried flip fronts and even though they are heavier I think they are great, as you can have conversations, extra air flow and a drink without taking the helmet off.

Good luck shopping.

Journeyman
    As already said, how it fits is the most important and everyone's head shape is different.

Not cheap but my Schuberth C3 is the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Did you break your arm because you weren't wearing a helmet?
    Yeah of course, however lets assume most folk understood what I meant.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yeah of course, however lets assume most folk understood what I meant.
    You just reminded me of the time a work collegue broke his arm falling of his bike , he was wearing his helmet on his arm !

I've not had an HJS but have had a slightly older model Nolan. Good helmet but not great sound reduction. Earplugs sorted that but best to be aware of it.