closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you feel your age?

Master

When do you feel your age?

Turned 65 recently and am generally healthy bar an unexpected heart attack in Feb. Find myself drifting off to sleep if doing nothing in the afternoon which is a new phenomenon for me. Also finding that gravity isn't just a nuisance but a force to be reckoned with. Can't recall when the slippery slope began......

Blog Entries
    To answer the heading title: When do you feel your age: "every morning when i feel the wife".

Master
    Just turning 60 soon and as retired through illness have to plan anything physical in small stages. Fall asleep during the day as well and always seem to have sore legs? Falling apart ever more quickly.

I'm 45 and was recently diagnosed with a form of arthritis. I feel older than I really am. My father is 85 and in better shape.

I'll be 62 in September. Took early retirement two years ago and always tried to stay fit (80 miles/week cycling to work) and apart from the occasional cold, luckily never had to visit the doc's as an adult. Since then have developed arthritis in feet/ankles and now fingers are beginning to ache. First thing in a morning is a challenge. Just what I don't need as love taking the dog out rambling, but can't walk (stroll) more than an hour. Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse anytime soon. Both quack and private physio have been pretty much useless. Sleeping like a log though.

Master
    40 I think when stuff changes but then I became a father at 50 and having a 7 year old 'energy bunny' really lets you feel your age. Before her I had time/money/energy to burn but not now - she burns that energy like Angus Young's amplifiers

Master
    perhaps I'm too young to comment (mid 30's), but I am now fitter, stronger and the best I have ever been - but that's a conscious and very determined thing that has taken a long time.

In my 20's I was unfit and a little overweight and definitely felt like an old man. I realised something had to change when I couldnt get arounf the supermarket without leaning on the trolley for back pain and couldnt go up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.

I set myself a target to be the fittest 40 year old I know, once I get there, in the hopes it will stand me in good stead for the future.

I realise that some health issues do catch up with you, but for the most part I think you can defeat what many call "feeling your age" with lots of exercise, weight loss and a very good diet.

We really do poison ourselves, and a lifetime of carrying extra weight wears the joints out.

Again, I am aware we are not all blessed with good health, so I am only talking about those that are.

When you fall asleep watching a TV programme and you wanted to watch it.

I'm 57 now, and I run a mile or two and have a gentle work out (some light weights and a couple of hundred crunches) most days. I do feel fit - especially having lost a couple of stone over the last year - but I certainly don't feel as robust as I did in my mid-forties.

In fact, it was only in my mid-forties that I noticed the onset of age, and there's definitely no stopping it. Everything physical just starts to feel that bit harder. Oh, and I also fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Oh, and I also fall asleep at the drop of a hat.
    lol - this seems to be a theme here!

I'm a very light sleeper, up at the crack of dawn, never naps sort of person, so perhaps I have this to look forwards to as I advance into my 40s in a few years!!

I really don't like to tempt fate. I deal with people of various ages all day, and though I am myself fairly healthy (and late 40s, so not really in the danger zone yet), I'm acutely aware that you're only a major illness away from going from a healthy, active "young" person, to a physical wreck - I've seen it many times, and it's surprising how quickly people can go downhill.

To a large extent it's luck/genetics, but you significantly improve your odds by not smoking, doing a bit of exercise, and not putting on too much weight (not meaning being stick-thin, but not getting more than a stone or so overweight).

[Bit preachy]

Though very happily married...

When i talk to younger women and realize that i am of absolutely no interest whatsoever :)

Craftsman
    Turned 70 & find that most things not done on a regular basis cause a fair bit of pain, probably from lack of use of certain muscles. Gardening, hedge cutting which is an on-going chore no problem also. I also tend to fall asleep if I sit down straight after a evenig meal. F1 also has this effect on me but not Motogp.

Waking up at 06:00 at the weekends and taking longer to get over hangovers.

Waking up at 06:00 with a hangover and not being able to go back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    perhaps I'm too young to comment (mid 30's), but I am now fitter, stronger and the best I have ever been - but that's a conscious and very determined thing that has taken a long time.
    Make the most of it, it won't last!

I'm not sure anyone under 50 (or maybe 60?) should be allowed to respond to this thread.

Physically (aside from the ache, that I get after a brisk walk, in the knee I broke some years ago) I'm OK (I put on a bit of weight in my late 30s/40s, but have got rid of a fair bit of it in more recent years, I just eat a bit more healthily and make more of a point of getting some exercise - I'm not super fit, by any means, but I'm reasonably so), but I feel mentally tired of the idiots I have to deal with too often at work.

I've definitely become a lot less tolerant of them in the last few years.

M.

Blog Entries
    Just bought a new fitbit and I have worn it every day for the last three months. I have walked /ran 500 miles in that time. Just returning from Florida and was averaging 8 to 10 miles a day.

I am 46 and a lot fitter than my 20s. Although I would like to lose half a stone to get to 12 I would much prefer some more hair!

The lack of hair makes me feel old

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Speaking to the porters at work. Generally on breaks from uni etc. I just don't know what some of the words they say mean. I tend to nod along then walk away as if someone is calling me.

I'm 31

Master
    Im 48 and spent 2 days kneeling down laying a laminate floor it took 2 more days for me to be able to move my back and knees properly again

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Groaning whenever I sit down / get up, even though nothing actually hurts

Noticing that £5k of carbon roadbike in the garage has become a safe and quiet home for spiders.

I'm 43.

I'm 59 and can honestly say I feel no different to when I was 49. Still work full time, play golf twice a week, go to the gym once a week and choir. Look after your mind keep positive, age is just a number.

Master
    Being offered a seat on public transport.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Turned 65 recently and am generally healthy bar an unexpected heart attack in Feb. Find myself drifting off to sleep if doing nothing in the afternoon which is a new phenomenon for me. Also finding that gravity isn't just a nuisance but a force to be reckoned with. Can't recall when the slippery slope began......
    I can see your mistake right there. The older you get, the more careful you have to be to keep busy, because otherwise the slow death mindset takes over all too easily.

Master
    Being offered a seat on public transport.
    Haha!!!

I found that I was fine until about 65 then started getting all sorts of odd things going wrong. Nothing serious but annoying as I very rarely used doc's until then. When I first retired (64) I also experienced the strange phenomena of falling asleep in the afternoon but that seems to have gone now (70). I used to volunteer at a local Hall and did groundwork and found that that kept me healthy and gave me good exercise so maybe you want to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

In my 20's I was unfit and a little overweight and definitely felt like an old man. I realised something had to change when I couldnt get arounf the supermarket without leaning on the trolley for back pain and couldnt go up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.

I set myself a target to be the fittest 40 year old I know, once I get there, in the hopes it will stand me in good stead for the future.

I realise that some health issues do catch up with you, but for the most part I think you can defeat what many call "feeling your age" with lots of exercise, weight loss and a very good diet.

We really do poison ourselves, and a lifetime of carrying extra weight wears the joints out.

Again, I am aware we are not all blessed with good health, so I am only talking about those that are.
    Good man, this resonates with me. I lost the plot too in my 20's, did something about it when I turned 30; lost 5 stone/30kg's and approaching 43 I am still within 1 stone of where I was 12 years ago, I have since run marathons, done numerous obstacle course races with a PB finish of 3rd place overall at a major event at the Olympic Park Stratford and took up Calisthenics last year, plus I also converted from Pilates student to become a qualified Pilates instructor 3 years ago. I've barely ever felt fitter/stronger. Age is just a number. But my heart goes out to those who suffer ill health, I lost a very dear work colleague to Cancer a few years ago, he was the fittest guy I have ever known and in his prime was just shy of being an elite marathon runner. We only get one body so I just try to do my best to look after it but you never know what fate has in store for you.

My grandfather was born in the early 1890s, fought in WW1, was too old for the rematch yet he remained active all his life.

Still immaculately dressed into his mid-90s. He's my role model.

I feel my age when I'm at work listening to the grads talking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
    Though very happily married...

When i talk to younger women and realize that i am of absolutely no interest whatsoever :)
    Actually find the opposite as young ladieswill talk to me in coffee shops, sit beside me on the train etc - obviously regard me as no threat as I'm an old fart.
    My wife finds it amusing although I never tire of telling her they do this as they find me attractive.

Every day in so many different ways...

Physically...when I count the number of bits that hurt on any given day and it gets into double figures.

Mentally....when I can't recall the name of someone REALLY famous

Socially....when I realise that one of the most popular shows on TV involves a load of twentysomething no marks, going to a villa and shagging each other for 6 weeks. And that's okay.

I could go on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Groaning whenever I sit down / get up, even though nothing actually hurts
    Ha!

I always remember being young and asking my dad why he always did this, and he just said it's what you do when you get older!

I think it's true and I have started to do it too!

At 42 I have found myself asking this question.

Who knows if things are suddenly going to go downhill fast, but for the moment I honestly feel in great shape, possibly the best shape of my life. Okay, I probably had more energy as a teenager, but by and large, I can't remember feeling in better shape than I do now.

Couple of points which I think may have helped:
    - I have no kids
    - I don't have to commute far to work and work with good team/bosses.
    - My main hobbies include yoga, acro-yoga, weight training, social partner dancing.
    - Just started to meditate regularly.
    - Stopped reading the news regularly.

It's difficult to forget age, but I don't think it's worth focusing, worrying and expecting bad things to happen because the number seems high. Who knows, maybe you'll make it into a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm 63

Stepping off the footplate after a firing turn, particularly on a hot day I do feel my age. (It's an 8 hour turn of heavy manual labour including all the lighting up and prep work plus a round trip.)
    It's odd but the joint pain that afflicts my knees and ankles daily seems to be less of a problem when on the footplate. Fingers joints also afflicted and grip strength reduced and reducing.

Generally there is a bit of a lack of energy and a general slowing down. Keeping the brain active seems to be important. I too nod off if just sitting in front of the TV, even if it's something I wanted to watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I never do.

mike

I am just turning 50, but I view afternoon naps as a luxury, I love them.

In terms of feeling my age, all the time, especially when seeing the youth and looking in the mirror!!

When i was younger you'd boast when you did an all-nighter dancing until day break..

Now i'm older i boast if i do an all dayer (don't nod off during the day).

I'm 58 and feel that now finally my body and mind are reaching synchronisation.

The further I go back the more obvious the mismatch.

I didn't wear a tweed jacket, chords and brogues to a Sex Pistols concert as a statement, they were just my daily wear.

I'm not so keen on hairy ears but this is more than compensated for by my own amusement at the "aargg" noises I make when retrieving a newspaper from the floor or simply getting in and out of a low slung chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I'm not so keen on hairy ears...
    Phew. That's one thread we've avoided.

Master
    There are lots of times when I feel my age (44)...

When I play my music and my kids ask 'who's this?'
    When I interview people and they would rather have salary than a pension
    After I've tried to play tennis matches 2 days on the trot - all the aches and pains come out
    I'm that tired in the evening I just shuffle off to bed at 930
    You realise the women you're eyeing up could be your daughters
    I'm in meetings and think 'I'm the oldest sat around the table'

I must admit to feeling pretty good and healthy- for anyone with back niggles I can emphatically recommend Pilates, which I started this year. This year's been an interesting one as I do seem to be getting a worse short-term memory and whilst my vision is still better than 20-20 I'm noticing the far-near refocusing to be slower.

Onwards and upwards :)

Ian

Definitely groaning whenever I get up or pick something up from the floor.

It's one of the few pleasures attached to getting old.

It's easy for youngsters to say age is just a number but you can't stop the onset of rheumatism, bad joints etc as you get older.

Wearing glasses for reading and driving is a bore too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Wearing glasses for reading is a bore too.
    This absolutely - I hate wearing glasses - sunglasses, reading glasses, safety glasses, but I can't read most books/menus/etc or a computer screen without them these days

M

I used to walk the forty minutes to the pub, have two pints, a slash just before leaving & comfortably walk the forty minutes home without any bladder discomfort.

Now, I still walk to the pub, but go the the bog on arrival, then have a pint & a couple of sips out of the second one, go to the bog, come back, finish my second pint, go to the bog, come out the pub & get the bus (a ten minute trip) up the road. The forty minute walk is a definite no-no after a couple of pints!
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I never do.
    I'm with you on that.

Remember, we can't always stay young, but we can always act immature.

Going up a flight of stairs.

When do you feel your age?

When you`re genuinely pleased that you`ve received socks/undercrackers or slippers as a birthday gift.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was feeling my age (54) when I completed 100 miles on my bike in just over 3.5 hours last month. That was a National Age Record though ;-)

Master
    i realised i was getting older when it dawned on me i was older than the new lads mum at work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I was feeling my age (54) when I completed 100 miles on my bike in just over 3.5 hours last month. That was a National Age Record though ;-)
    Chapeau sir! That's fast even for someone in their 30s. I cycle with Ilkley Cycling Club after moving here a couple of years ago and have been inspired by people in their 60s who are very strong.

I'm 40 and from what I can see the secret to managing an ageing body is to keep active with something that raises your heart beat, keep your weight down and moderation in moderation with your diet

Craftsman
    I really feel it when inducting new hires into the company. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I take it that was on a track? Absolutely fantastic in any event, but if it was on the road, I think you may be superman.

Recently turned 61 and am also somewhat obese. Had lots of trouble with my back of late years and got some light exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles. Of course, many times I let the exercises slip.

I wasn't feeling very agile any more for many years. Recently my son and wife went to a very close by, newly opened fitness center and got a really good deal on 24/7 opening with modern equipment and during day hours personal trainers around to ask advise. Just a few week before my 61st, I started doing some work out, bicycling, leg press, arm stretch, etc, etc.
    Because it's close by one can go whenever one likes, so now I visit three times a week for about an hour. I am already feeling a difference, not that I look slimmer or anything, but things are going easier, like climbing the stairs, standing up from sitting or from the bed, less little pains and problems, so it really gives me back a bit more quality in life, I haven't felt for years.

When I was in my early thirties I was still regularly banging the secretaries in work. Then I worked somewhere for a long time where there weren't really a lot of available girls. Now, at 47, I'm at a company with young women galore and I can't even imagine going for it.

Arthritis in my elbow, chronic achilles problems, lower back trouble - age is no compliment. Some days putting on socks has to be planned out.

I've fallen asleep sitting in a sunny spot in the afternoon since I was 16, so I don't really think that's an age thing.