closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Do you prohibit the wearing of shoes indoors ?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, wearing shoes indoors is always unacceptable.

113 53.30%
  • No, I'm not too bothered unless shoes are soiled.

69 32.55%
  • I meander between both states.

30 14.15%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People that take shoes off going indoors...

People that take shoes off going indoors...

I was in a neighbors house recently and it was one of those houses where the family leave their shoes in the hall and walk around the house in socks. Haven't seen that in years. When in Rome etc.; I went to take off my shoes but in fairness I was told not to worry about doing that as I was a guest. I then sat there for the next hour feeling awkward & dirty with a pair of brogues on me as they all had socks (and sock like things) on them.

That practice seemed to be common enough when I was a lad back in the early 1980s, when I called to my mates houses to play Subbuteo, in the same way people had ornament cabinets, 'good rooms' for dining on Xmas day, sets of encyclopedias, barometers in the hallway, etc. I thought that game was well over. We often wear socks around the house but having a 'no shoe' rule indoors ???

Do people still do that; have a mandatory rule to take their shoes off and walk around the house in socks ? I can see the sense of that practice on farms but do people still do this in leafy suburbia ?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, most of the time.

Yup -and expect my guests to do the same.

Master
    yes- why would you wear outside shoes in the lounge

i do...

My ex wife was Thai.

Its customary for Thais (and I guess other nationalities), to remove their shoes upon entering a house.

Make perfect sense to me.

Yep and so do most of the people I know

Master
    Same here, no shoes indoors at our house.

In Sweden we never use shoes inside the house and sometimes we drop them with style.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I can see the sense of that practice on farms but do people still do this in leafy suburbia ?
    Do dogs not crap on the ground in leafy suburbia?

Grand Master

People that take shoes off going indoors...

So let me get this straight you won't let me in wearing my shoes which will have a bit of dust on and I can wipe on your mat but you're happy for me to have my sweaty socks moist with living bacteria on your carpet?
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 30th July 2017 at 18:34.
    RIAC

Master
    Blue plastic shoe covers are available at the door for those with sweaty feet

Master
    Our shoes live in a rack by the front door. Socks and slippers in the house to stop treading outside stuff inside

Master
    I always thought that wearing shoes in the house only happened in Holywood movies.

Why would you even want to wear shoes in the house? Barefoot is so much more comfortable

Master
    Absolutely no shoes whatsoever in our house as let's face it you walk our grim streets where people have vomited pissed and spat, plus dog piss and dog shit why would anyone expect to walk in a lovely clean house with all that on their shoes and don't get me started on when you have to use a public urinal and stand in piss splatters!!!!!!!!!

Master
    Shoes off in ours unless you're a guest. I hated going to friends' houses and having to take my shoes off as a child. I wont force it on anybody else because of this but I'm happy to observe the practice at home.

Having five dogs, people taking their shoes off when visiting would make no difference whatsoever.

Each to their own, but unless someone walked through the door in muddy walking boots or wellies I wouldn't dream of asking them to remove their footwear.

When my inlaws visit they bring their own slippers to wear.

I once spent a month backpacking around Morocco, one guy was from a farm in New Zealand he was a real farm lad, could tell the weather for the day by looking at a tree. The entire time I was there he never wore shoes, even when we went hiking in the Atlas Mountains. Long story short a year later we all met up for a party, I arranged to meet him at Tottenham Court tube station, he comes strutting along bare foot down Oxford street. When we got to the house we all walked in and took our shoes off, the home owner gave him a pair to put on!

I'm amazed how many people have that 'no shoes' rule for themselves in the posts above... As I said in the OP, its honestly years since I came across a household that mandate it and I'm being 100% serious.

I couldn't imagine in a million years asking someone to take off their shoes to enter my home, I make the assumption that someone will not enter the house with a great deal of mess on their shoes and I must say no one has disappointed me in +20years of home ownership. Neither has anyone in my household fallen victim to Weils disease, Typhoid or other affliction.

Are we sure that shoes are the root of all evil gents ?

Master
    Do in my house, and always have. Important if you have young children whom tend to drop food on the floor and then pick it up and immediately eat it.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 30th July 2017 at 18:59.

Those threads on removing stickers start to make sense......

Master
    No shoes here except if only going through the hall to the kitchen. I've taken my slippers to other peoples houses before.

I do in my house.I visit a lot of customers for surveys.First thing I ask is "Would you like me to remove my shoes"

You walk in all sorts on the pavements. Take your shoes off. It's the right thing to do.

I don't ask anyone to take their shoes off when they come to my home. There's no need to, because everyone in Finland does that without asking. I don't know anyone who'd wear shoes in their home. Only time you wear shoes in someone's home is when you're all dressed up for a party, say a christening or such.

Master
    Given how easy it is to remove them, and how much more comfortable it is, why wouldn't I? Don't really see the point in creating needless wear and tear or cleaning.

I'm amazed... So whats the protocol if you have people over and you are having a barbecue or other entertainment event out in the back ? Do you;

1 - Get them to use the side entrance only initially and when they need to use the toilet they leave shoes at the back door.
    2 - Should no side entrance be available, get them to remove their shoes at the front door and carry the shoes to the back door where they can don them again as they go out.
    3 - Allow for a rule suspension window.

Depends very much upon who you are, why you're here and if you're entering my house from the front, side or back door.

I'd never get worked up about it though - it's no biggie.

I'm amazed... So whats the protocol if you have people over and you are having a barbecue or other entertainment event out in the back ? Do you;

1 - Get them to use the side entrance only initially and when they need to use the toilet they leave shoes at the back door.
    2 - Should no side entrance be available, get them to remove their shoes at the front door and carry the shoes to the back door where they can don them again as they go out.
    You must be easily "amazed"! then!

Master
    I wear slippers in the house but wouldn't ask a guest to take their shoes off and get pissed when asked to do so in others homes. That's what hoovers are for plus a doormat.

Master

Easy, don't have them over :)

For anyone else though I imagine it is the same as when anyone has a house party or gathering etc. You just accept that there may be mess to deal with afterwards. Doesn't mean that you have/want to live like that every day of the week though.

The key to this is inviting people capable of thinking themselves. Let the guests do as they see fit as long as they don't make a mess.

Grand Master
    I wear shoes on my settee

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I wear slippers in the house but wouldn't ask a guest to take their shoes off and get pissed when asked to do so in others homes. That's what hoovers are for plus a doormat.
    I draw the line at slippers but, yeah, fair comment.

Craftsman
    Without exception always remove shoes in somebody else's house, even if in my opinion the house is a bit of a tip

Not sure whether watch folk are typical, but no shoes here either. Visitors...fine on wooden floors in half decent weather. Never had one bad mannered enough to trample on a carpet in outdoor shoes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Not sure whether watch folk are typical, but no shoes here either. Visitors...fine on wooden floors in half decent weather. Never had one bad mannered enough to trample on a carpet in outdoor shoes.
    Its just common sense to me. I picked it up from my father, and while he wears a watch, he is anything but a watch person. Why create a (potential) mess when it can be so easily avoided?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's an increasing feature in many houses nowadays I sense.

Not one I personally enjoy in the slightest, and certainly don't recall from yesteryear when floorboards may have been the surface you walked on at the risk of splinters. But each to their own.

Craftsman
    No shoes in my place and I always remove shoes in anyone else's house.

I hate wearing shoes (and socks for that matter) in houses.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a beaten up foot so always wear shoes incase I knock it or someone stands on it. I do however have shoes I only wear indoors so they aren't dirty.

I'm not sure if its watch people either or whether the people that don't wear shoes indoors were more likely to respond to my OP than those that don't.

I would say I have a typical middle class set-up, semi-d house in a decent neighborhood, mainly professional friends & neighbors (i.e. - my 3 closest neighbors are a GP, a hospital consultant and a solicitor)(i.e. - my 3 'mates' are dentist/vet/manager with large multinational). None of those people take their shoes off in their houses and I really haven't experienced that practice in a long time. None of my parents/siblings/colleagues seem to mandate it either.

Great to learn something here though.

Another point, I was ex-pat in the far east for a couple of years and yes I took off my shoes whilst I lived there as it was local custom and my properties (in Singapore / Malaysia) had a veranda space for shoes.

Shoes always off in our house please. Well, not guests, but we all take ours off. I've got an old pair of Adidas Montreal trainers I use as slippers.

My step mum was the worse for this. We had to take our shoes off and she had slippers for everyone to wear downstairs, but then to go upstairs we had to remove the slippers. The kids never remembered and she was always shouting at them. Needless to say, we don't go round there any more.

Banned
    Only workmen. My other invited guests understand their footwear has to be clean. That said I've only one room on the ground floor with carpet, which guests don't tend to go into.

Their home, their rules.

Craftsman
    No one ever asks me to take my shoes off in their house etc, but that's because I wear prosthetic legs

https://www.college-park.com/lower-l...feet/sidekicks
    Last edited by wolf; 30th July 2017 at 20:41.

Yes we all take our out door shoes off going indoors.
    Its our ancient tradition.

Sent from my PLUS using TZ-UK mobile app

Our ancient Persian tradition.

Sent from my PLUS using TZ-UK mobile app

Heres the answer to your question OP. Me and the wife dont give a rats arse about that unless youre covered in dog crap...come on in

I refuse to enter any property where I'm required to remove my shoes.
    Maybe Holy ground as an exception.
    All others...no chance.
    Can't understand why some folk are so precious about this stuff.
    OCD maybe? Dunno.
    Life's too way too short to be hung up on material things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I do however have shoes I only wear indoors so they aren't dirty.
    Are they called slippers by any chance ? Shoes off for me, they're for walking outdoors. Why clump around wearing shoes indoors ? Seems a strange thing to do......

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I refuse to invite people who are so self important as to lack a modicum of respect for their hosts.
    If I wear shoes in my house, and that's my normality, it might be somewhat off-putting to me if you ask me to remove my shoes...

For me, right now, I'd love to know what the national typical* % split of 'non-shoe wearing' versus 'shoe wearing' households is. Before this post I would have assumed it was something like; 2% to 98%.

*typical = homes where there is no religious or other over arching tradition of 'non shoe wearing' protocol.