closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ferrari driver writes off new car on M1 in Barnsley

Master

Ferrari driver writes off new car on M1 in Barnsley

Master
    Poor guy, must be quite a shock being in such an awful accident. Hopefully says a lot about Ferrari's safety features that he walked away without a scratch.

Hope he had GAP insurance! Imagine writing off a car after 1 hour of ownership!

Craftsman
    So how is a car that was last built in 2009 'new'? New to the owner, yes, and probably on Pirelli Corsas or similar with little tread so in wet conditions needed to be treated with extreme care.

Craftsman
    They got the price about right though. Anywhere between £170,000 £240,00 although some trying for £300,00+.

Ran out of talent, lucky to walk away from that one.

Might want a 4 wheel drive car next time or some driver training.

that was quick - from zero to destruction in one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    ... or some driver training.
    I'm surprised insurance companies don't ask for driver training as a requirement. It's mental that you can pass your test one day and legally buy and drive a super car the next.

Surely the story isn't 'man crashes car' but quite why it caught fire. Is it my imagination or do a lot of supercars burn out after being crashed?
    "A man of little significance"

Looks like that'll buff out..

Craftsman
    Got some spare T cut if he wants to contact me :)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'm surprised insurance companies don't ask for driver training as a requirement. It's mental that you can pass your test one day and legally buy and drive a super car the next.
    I don't think so (or that such a scenario happens frequently enough to be significant)

You can drive even a mundane car at speeds inappropriate to roads.

A fast car isn't inherently dangerous any more than a slow one is inherently safe.

It's the nut behind the wheel that matters!

I would imagine 'supercars' feature in a unrepresentatively small proportion of accidents, compared to, say, hot hatches or big turbo-diesel engined saloons.

M

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A fast car isn't inherently dangerous any more than a slow one is inherently safe.
    Yes it is.
    The key word is ´inherently´.

Risk increases to the power of speed and a car that does not have the potential for speed is thus inherently safer. That is not even factoring in that generally faster cars are also heavier which again causes more havoc.

I know that junction well and you would have to be doing something very stupid and very illegal to end up off the road there.

Thankfully, only his pride was hurt on this occasion.

The local police edited their Facebook post to say that after speaking with witnesses they didn't believe speed to be a factor in the accident. Just sayin'...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes it is.

Risk increases to the power of speed and a car that does not have the potential for speed is thus inherently safer. That is not even factoring in that generally faster cars are also heavier which again causes more havoc.
    Never read so much rubbish in my life..... so according to you a trabant is safer than a Ferrari??

Let me guess....your Daf is the safest car on the road.....🤔

Yes it is.

This is a load of codswallop. A car is only as dangerous as the person behind the wheel.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    The local police edited their Facebook post to say that after speaking with witnesses they didn't believe speed to be a factor in the accident. Just sayin'...
    Speed might not have been, but booting it in an attempt to reach speed might have.

Cars don't generally launch themselves off the road all by themselves, even fast ones.
    Last edited by Bloobird; 28th July 2017 at 23:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Surely the story isn't 'man crashes car' but quite why it caught fire. Is it my imagination or do a lot of supercars burn out after being crashed?
    I think its something to do with the very high fuel pressures they use for the fuel injection which is also emissions related.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    This is a load of codswallop. A car is only as dangerous as the person behind the wheel.
    Same thing guns. Yet a paintball gun is inherently safer than an AK47.

Master
    A straw man argument if ever there was one.

I mean, a toy car is safer than a real one, right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I think its something to do with the very high fuel pressures they use for the fuel injection which is also emissions related.
    High injection pressures that you refer to are a feature of direct injected petrol and modern Diesel engines. The 430 Scud which crashed gear uses neither, AFAIK it has traditional manifold injection. Later Ferraris, Audis, Porsches etc etc have gone over to DFI injection without a noticeable increase in fireballs on every street corner when an accident occurs.

Master
    It could have been worse, one of The Grand Tour trio could have been driving.

Imagine the angst and hand wringing then!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    High injection pressures that you refer to are a feature of direct injected petrol and modern Diesel engines. The 430 Scud which crashed gear uses neither, AFAIK it has traditional manifold injection. Later Ferraris, Audis, Porsches etc etc have gone over to DFI injection without a noticeable increase in fireballs on every street corner when an accident occurs.
    I seem to remember watching a bit of a fire fighter training video where they showed petrol and diesel being poured onto hot engine parts and they just smoked a lot, but no flames.

When they did the same with brake fluid though, it ignited.

I might be going mad though!

Yes it is.

Any car can be driven too fast.
    A supercar handles better at speed than a "regular" vehicle.
    It usually boils down to the capability and (ir)responsibility of the driver.

You know, most of your posts make you look like you dislike any very good example of anything in existence...

Apples and oranges.
    One is designed to kill. One isn't.

Master
    Somebody in my office knows the guy well. Apparently he is a wealthy car nut with plenty of supercar experience.

Evo ran a piece on the 599 HGTE shortly after it came out saying how unstable they found it in the wet. Ferrari threatened to sue Harry Metcalfe if he ever repeated the allegation. Then a friend of mine totalled his HGTE on a lamppost on the A4 when it aquaplaned only doing 40mph approaching the Hammersmith flyover.

So whilst I would ordinarily be in the pack here saying it was somebody inexperienced doing something stupid, I will follow the outcome with interest.

The "special" additions like a Scuderia and HGTE are set up in a manner that is far from ideal for poor weather. Best to leave them at home.

Master
    "Detecting a sense of damaged pride" LOL

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

You know, most of your posts make you look like you dislike any very good example of anything in existence...
    Lots of people dislike stuff they don't understand...😉

Craftsman
    I found the 430 to be quite difficult to handle in wet conditions. Easy to lose the backend to a fishtail even in relatively low acceleration on a damp road and prone to aquaplane on very wet road surfaces. Having the manettino at the 'hardest' setting would help, but not eliminate the trickiness.

TBH not a pleasant drive at all in heavy rain and requiring 100% full on concentration, or else....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    I found the 430 to be quite difficult to handle in wet conditions. Easy to lose the backend to a fishtail even in relatively low acceleration on a damp road and prone to aquaplane on very wet road surfaces. Having the manettino at the 'hardest' setting would help, but not eliminate the trickiness.

TBH not a pleasant drive at all in heavy rain and requiring 100% full on concentration, or else....
    I have similar problems with my Rover 75! :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I have similar problems with my Rover 75! :)
    Is it the lwb rwd V8 version??

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    May I just say thank you very much. That complete load of cobblers has just cheered me up no end. Very amusing.
    Do you any about chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I live in Barnsley, and my Brother-in-law knows the owner. Apparently, was only doing 50mph. At first, I thought what-a-load of rubbish, but then after the updates about speed not being a factor, maybe it's true.