closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko musings

Seiko musings

Of late I have gone in a different direction with my collection. I have gotten rid of my modern pieces that are easy to replace (Sub, Speedy Pro etc), kept my personalised Dornbluth and a white gold Cellini and purchased some of the older pieces I find iconic (e.g. an early model Aerospace). Moving forward I will buy only what I intend to keep (as the flipping has cost me thousands) and while I save for these larger purchases I can have some cheaper fun buying watches like Eddies and of course Seikos.

Now onto Seiko, bit on an eye opener this for me. I've had high end Seikos in the past including Grand Seikos but on a recent trip to Thailand there were a few LTD edition Seikos for sale at reasonable prices so I thought why not. So I bought the Padi Turtle but also the Samurai Blue Lagoon.

Quality wise I didn't have huge expectations however this was the big eye opener. The Samurai in particular is a c£400 watch but is of a very high quality. Case shape is unique, nice bezel, lovely dial, supremely comfy bracelet (the pin and collar set up is a pain although I do understand that this set up is actually the best for diving due to minimum risk of bracelet coming loose - hence the PP Nautilus and GS Seiko Divers have this set up). Also I noticed some minor issues (particularly on of turtle) with chapter ring alignment being off.

But the point is it got me making comparisons with some of the Swiss stuff I had. So let's start off categorically stating that the Samurai is nice but is not anywhere near the level of a Sub or a Planet Ocean. Not close. But looking at a lower price point, something like the Tag Aquaracer - is it really a better watch than the Samurai? We are talking a c £1500 watch here. Likewise the Longines diver range at around £1k, is that better? Personally I don't think so - if there is any differential it would be in the bracelet finishing although as I said earlier the Seiko bracelet is very comfy.

Re Seikos, dangerous game this - having done some more research the plethora of LTD editions and model ranges makes the company a collector's dream and I do plan to search out and buy at least 1 LTD edition Seiko every time I'm in Asia.

Apologies for the rambling, I guess I wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised with what three or four hundred quid gets you from Seiko, and that you could have a hobby of only collecting Seikos and you won't get bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 28th July 2017 at 06:47.

Craftsman
    Couldn't agree more, Ryan!

As far as I'm concerned, every watch aficionado should have one (or more) Seiko...I particularly like the divers - for ca £140 the SKX is unbelievable value, though my current go-to is a modded Blumo, with stargate dial/hands/bezel and blue AR sapphire... I picked this up in a trade earlier this month - definitely limited edition! stuck it on a gorgeous super angus bracelet just earlier tonight, it looks and feels much more expensive than £400!

Chris,that's a lovely mod.

Journeyman
    here goes:

i think on the lower end of the scale, seiko represents good value - provided there's no expectation of perfection.

my observations are that no matter the tier, seiko mechanical movements do not appear as reliable as i'd been led to imagine when used in the long run. even on a GS movement, accuracy can be a little hit or miss out of the box and not quite within the GS-spec tolerances i had assumed.

the service centre's advice is to service a GS (not just 36.6k bph ones) every 2-3 years to keep it accurate and running well, and further, so long as it runs within 10s/day, it's within THEIR tolerance and no adjustments are needed. this is certainly not what is touted in their marketing material...

having had at least a decade of experience and bills from bringing various seiko watches for adjustments at SSCs or at watchmakers' (and sometimes, adjusting them myself), i further opine that it getting them (Seiko/GS mechanical) to run stable when worn on my wrist consistently over a long period (daily, 6-12 months) is simply not possible 95% of the time.

without exception, they will eventually drift for no discernible reason. this does not happen to most of my other mechanical watches - at least not within the first few years after a good service/adjustment.

having lived in various countries, i have come to accept that the staff at Seiko Service Centres outside of japan are guaranteed to not do a good job - it's a matter of whether i can pick out the flaw/problem within the warranty period or not. some times, i don't want to, becuase i dread having to go back to the service center.

case tubes can sometimes not be replaceable (this will depend on the mood of the Seiko watchmaker), needing an entire case replaced. parts take a very long time (or impossible) to obtain. and it's generally cheaper to just sell the older watch and buy a newer replacement instead of paying for a service/repair.

on the slightly higher tier (750-1,100 pounds), newer is not always better, and you're not always getting good value for money.

for instance, the 8R auto chrono is actually modular. in recent years, much of their pricing strategies do not make sense (to me) - this includes their LE models.

for watches above that tier, the recommended servicing intervals, actual service provided and rates make it difficult for me to consider owning one.

it's far easier to accept their quirks and flaws when the watch costs below 300 pounds new.

(i currently own 2 MM300s, a shogun, a sumo, and an auto flightmaster chronograph. i've previously owned various other GS and seiko watches.)

The current Aquaracers are a step or three above a £500 Seiko (maybe without the potential movement issues - but then just buy a chronometer grade version). In almost all areas in my opinion. Even the newer bracelets and clasps of the TAG's have improved considerably - hopefully any movement issues that have been reported are few and far between or easily sorted within warranty if they crop up.

I like Ike some of the mid tier Seiko watches £300-£750, but quality control is shocking! I'm even disappointed by a few areas on the MM300's which just should be there forceatches in that price range. That said, if you are lucky with chapter rings, hour markers/Lume fill, and the dreaded Seiko time-keeping issues etc. then there is no doubt you get a lot for your money.

But...

The Aquaracer range offers very good value for money, if bought at the discounts available - for between £750 and £1500, you get a known brand with up to date designs and most of the features of the mid level Swiss players. I tried one of the newer Quartz versions in January, and it punched above its weight - if it had have hit the minute markers I'd have kept it, but for the money it was good value.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have to agree with the above post, I have owned the Samurai BL and a Tag Aquaracer in the last year and the Tag is (in my opinion) a much better quality watch

This is in no way being disrespectful to the Seiko, I thought the Samurai was brilliant with a much improved bracelet over the turtles and no alignment issues

I also owned quite a few GS, think 9 in total, but have currently settled for just Seiko.

Affordable ones like my SKX013 and the higher end SLA017 and hand painted dial SRQ021 chrono.

Wasn't sure about the 42mm case size of the SRQ, but dial is just unreal! Rapid date change at precisely 12 was also a pleasant surprise.

Master
    I've had a few of the LE Sumo's, and only wish I hadn't of sold them. As stated by the OP they are a great way to have a focused, affordable collection.

There is a green dialled LE Sumo that was released in Thailand a few years ago that i'd love to get my hands on.

Master
    I'm with you Ryan, I love Seiko watches. Discovered them early on in my collecting and always seem to go back to them now again. When I tried my hand at diving a while ago, I chose one of my Seiko to accompany instead of a Sea-Dweller :-)

There is a limit to their substance though. I still haven't bought a GS. I know they look like great watches but they very rarely appeal, and the ones that do are usually even more money than the ones that don't. So I stick to the true Seiko brand itself. The Creation Watches models shall we say. This is a "true" Seiko for me, and I especially love Limited Edition anything, of which Seiko offer plenty.

Seiko can be easily as collectible as anything else, and due to their lower prices, they can be a lot more fun for it.

EDIT: To add, I think it's generally their bracelets that let the brand down. Generally quite rattly and the ones with an extension clasp always dig in to my wrist uncomfortably.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 28th July 2017 at 09:24.

Master
    I went on a 2 week holiday in Japan last year, dragged my wife through countless watch/department stores in Tokyo and Kyoto browsing watches, with Seiko partly in mind but just didn't get that impulse to buy. I still feel like it's a matter of time before I buy a seiko!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

pic from the Internet

but I really really like this one..I can sense the "grandness" from the pic

Last edited by seikomatic; 28th July 2017 at 09:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    pic from the Internet

but I really really like this one..I can sense the "grandness" from the pic

The GS is quite cool, but i'm a little annoyed by "0af0"

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Banned
    It's just a change in direction we all probably get at some stage.

Often once you've 'been there, done that' with all your phases - cheap, expensive, Swiss, Japanese, modern, vintage, etc etc, you just move into something else. In a year another post will no doubt say something different, but it's a hobby and you should buy what you like at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Of late I have gone in a different direction with my collection. I have gotten rid of my modern pieces that are easy to replace (Sub, Speedy Pro etc), kept my personalised Dornbluth and a white gold Cellini and purchased some of the older pieces I find iconic (e.g. an early model Aerospace). Moving forward I will buy only what I intend to keep (as the flipping has cost me thousands) and while I save for these larger purchases I can have some cheaper fun buying watches like Eddies and of course Seikos.

Now onto Seiko, bit on an eye opener this for me. I've had high end Seikos in the past including Grand Seikos but on a recent trip to Thailand there were a few LTD edition Seikos for sale at reasonable prices so I thought why not. So I bought the Padi Turtle but also the Samurai Blue Lagoon.

Quality wise I didn't have huge expectations however this was the big eye opener. The Samurai in particular is a c£400 watch but is of a very high quality. Case shape is unique, nice bezel, lovely dial, supremely comfy bracelet (the pin and collar set up is a pain although I do understand that this set up is actually the best for diving due to minimum risk of bracelet coming loose - hence the PP Nautilus and GS Seiko Divers have this set up). Also I noticed some minor issues (particularly on of turtle) with chapter ring alignment being off.

But the point is it got me making comparisons with some of the Swiss stuff I had. So let's start off categorically stating that the Samurai is nice but is not anywhere near the level of a Sub or a Planet Ocean. Not close. But looking at a lower price point, something like the Tag Aquaracer - is it really a better watch than the Samurai? We are talking a c £1500 watch here. Likewise the Longines diver range at around £1k, is that better? Personally I don't think so - if there is any differential it would be in the bracelet finishing although as I said earlier the Seiko bracelet is very comfy.

Re Seikos, dangerous game this - having done some more research the plethora of LTD editions and model ranges makes the company a collector's dream and I do plan to search out and buy at least 1 LTD edition Seiko every time I'm in Asia.

Apologies for the rambling, I guess I wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised with what three or four hundred quid gets you from Seiko, and that you could have a hobby of only collecting Seikos and you won't get bored.

Interesting read and I agree the Seikos are great value but in my experience, the only part that let's them down is the movement and so with that in mind, the TAG and Longines to me, would be a better option. I know there are plenty of Seikos that work perfectly well with the 6R15 or the classic 7s26 variants and many are very happy with them, I just wish they would make a better quality movement with these great affordable designs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've gravitated to Seiko over the past few years. I think I've been lucky with reliability and timekeeping because I haven't had any problems (though my past obsession with accuracy is no more, and wearing them in rotation means adjustment largely takes place when changing from one to another)

Generally speaking, I love them.

I think the Sumo in particular is a real stand out vs watches at 3 times the price. If it had a better clasp on the bracelet (and possibly sapphire if preferred) then it would beat many £1k-£1.5k watches in my opinion. I was gobsmacked by the quality of finish and design when I finally got one.

Craftsman
    I bought a Seiko sports quartz,I think it was called,as an impulse buy in a jeweller's sale in 1979.
    I think it cost £90?
    That watch lasted me 20 years until it stopped and I was told no spares were available so I bought a second hand Omega Seamaster as there seemed no Seiko models I liked at the time.
    Earlier this year,I bought a Seiko solar diver for £270.
    It is a good watch but (and I concede my memory may be tinged with nostalgia) it does not seem so well made as my first watch.In addition I have a SKX0013 which rests in it's box at present - another nice watch and very good value.
    At their price point,I do not think you can go wrong with a Seiko but maybe their quality has gone down in recent years and I seem to recall mention online of spares not being available long term,their business model maybe being if it stops working/needs servicing,throw it away and buy another.
    Still,VFM watches.

I love the case on the sumo - quite a sophisticated sculptural form, especially interesting with the way the angled plane of the bezel intersects with the case - combined with the juxtaposition between brushed and polished surfaces. Compare that with the case on Tudors black bay.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Seiko GS do nothing for me. When one watch is £5,000 and one is £300, I don't see £4,700 difference on the wrist

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Seiko GS do nothing for me. When one watch is £5,000 and one is £300, I don't see £4,700 difference on the wrist

The biggest issue with GS is their awful, awful renderings. The GS isn't mine, it was while I tried on at an AD in Swindon. The other is my Seiko 5 £60 jobby. World of difference between them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Looking at that photo I agree, where is the difference but looking at this photo, and having owned the SARB, I can see the difference. To me it's also about the whole package, not just the dial:

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    ...you could have a hobby of only collecting Seikos and you won't get bored.

I have to completely agree with this as I seem to have collected a few....

Cost less in total than the cost of some single watches and enough variety (even the 6 monsters) to keep me interested....

Master
    What model number is that one?...

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Master
    I find the 'value' comparisons between Seiko and Grand Seiko to miss the point. Of course the vastly more costly GS models are less good value. Same with any range of luxury goods, you get a fierce application of the law of diminishing returns . So, if you want bang-for-buck, Seiko every time.
    But if you want the best....forget 'value'.

Journeyman
    It also wouldn't be any different if other brands made watches at every price point. But of course if they did, more people would balk at paying the big brands' luxury prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    What model number is that one?...
    SNKK59

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    SNKK59
    Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    I have to completely agree with this as I seem to have collected a few....

Cost less in total than the cost of some single watches and enough variety (even the 6 monsters) to keep me interested....
    Mine say hi:

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Mine say hi:

Do these Seikos speak Japanese or only if it is a JDM model?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Mine say Kon'nichiwa?

Mine say high

^^So do mine^^

Blog Entries
    Curiously, Japan Made Seikos seem to speak English and Arabic, the K models speak English and French or Spanish.

Mine are mostly mute these days, since they have hardly seen daylight recently.

Journeyman
    No low-end seikos are 'Japan made'. 'J' model Seikos that have arabic day wheels are meant for the middle-east market. J does not stand for Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Curiously, Japan Made Seikos seem to speak English and Arabic, the K models speak English and French or Spanish.

Mine are mostly mute these days, since they have hardly seen daylight recently.
    Hope they have not stopped singing to you:-)

Blog Entries
    Hope they have not stopped singing to you:-)
    LOL, nice image

Journeyman
    Got to love Seikos. The wife bought one in 1987 and it has been her daily wearer ever since. I bought her an Omega but it never got any wrist time.

When I first joined this fine forum I only collected Seikos, I don't currently have one in my collection but will be adding one soon, probably a a monster. The Sumo is a beautiful watch and fantastic value for money, I thoroughly recommend!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Looking at that photo I agree, where is the difference but looking at this photo, and having owned the SARB, I can see the difference. To me it's also about the whole package, not just the dial:

Do you know which watch that is in the photo? Is it he SBGA001?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Do you know which watch that is in the photo? Is it he SBGA001?
    No it's a special edition and a beaut!:

http://www.watchprosite.com/seiko/in...34616.8712066/