closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss - any solutions?

Hair loss - any solutions?

I'm 37 and I've still got a pretty good head of hair, but it's thinning by the day and the bold spot on the crown of my head is steadily growing.

There seems to be lots of products on the market that claim to slow down or even stop hair loss altogether, but I struggle to believe their claims and reviews seem mixed.

Has anyone found something that actually works? Shampoos, vitamins, anything else?

If nothing works it's fine, I'll take it like a man and cut it short when the time comes. But I would like to keep my hair for as long as I can, which is why I ask. You would think in an age where science can do amazing things like face transplants and driverless cars that someone could find a solution to hair loss!

Depends if you are good-looking and on the pull. If so, fair enough, pursue possible solutions. But if you are not good-looking, not on the pull, live with it. One's happiness doesn't revolve around how much hair you have.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Face the inevitable and save your cash.
    Avoid cultivating a comb over and just cut it short.....and when the time comes make sure you are always carrying a woolly hat in winter!

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I'm 37 and I've still got a pretty good head of hair, but it's thinning by the day and the bold spot on the crown of my head is steadily growing.

There seems to be lots of products on the market that claim to slow down or even stop hair loss altogether, but I struggle to believe their claims and reviews seem mixed.

Has anyone found something that actually works? Shampoos, vitamins, anything else?

There is stuff (finasteride) that can slow the decline - however one of the possible side-effects is permanent impotence...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    There is stuff (finasteride) that can slow the decline - however one of the possible side-effects is permanent impotence...
    Haha, certainly not worth that risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are bald doctors and barbers, think about it.

Master
    How about NO!

I'm with the save your cash and buz cut it when the time comes. I'm, slowly developing a friar tuck. Luckily I'm quite tall so can get away with it for a while yet but once it reaches the 'event horizon' I'll be rocking the Statham / Brynner / Savalas look, none of this hair plugs / syrup / weird chemicals on the noggin for me thank you very much.

Male pattern baldness is just nature's way of pointing out to women the most virile, mature and testosterone laden men available. Please do something to hide yours as it leaves more ladies for us .....

To be serious though I've lost nearly all mine and did before your age and it's not affected my life one iota that I'm aware of, other than making a decent hat or six more practical to keep the sun off... Let's face it, much of the worry over hair loss isn't actually about the hair. Tempus does fugit though and this always seems apposite at times like this.

Into my heart an air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again.

Sounds like you and I are in a similar situation - same age. I have a good head of hair, but thinning on the crown (I suspect it might be caused by my very blunt barber tapping his finger on my crown each month and saying "it's getting worse", I suspect his repeated tapping on that area is stunting the hair growth).

Just accept it, it's what happens to chaps. embrace it and don't worry about it.

I don't get the whole thing of shaving your head when starting to show a bit of thinning. It just looks stupid to me. The streets are full of chaps with bald heads who seem to think it's obligatory to shave your head to hide the fact that you're going bald. The thing is that it doesn't really disguise the fact. But if that's how you'd feel more comfortable then it's your bonce.

You aren't losing your hair: someone is stealing them from you at night. Stay alert!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

"A man of little significance"

I started receeding in my late teens, and by my late 20's it was really starting to go at the crown.

Now I am in my 40's I don't have a great deal left on top, and that's gone mostly grey, but so what?

If it's going to go, let it go gracefully. Few things sadder than chaps desperately trying to hold on to their youth and paying a fortune for products that at best may slow it very slightly - decide you are going to be "distinguished" looking instead (my wife's advice!).
    So clever my foot fell off.

We seem to have these threads pretty regularly, which given the forum demographic, isn't surprising!

My take on this (given that my hair started thinning in my mid/late 20s) is at 37, I'd not worry about it. At a guess, maybe 1/3 of blokes are thinning by the time they hit 40, and by late 40s/early 50s there's a lot of grey hair and balding pates. It really not worth bothering about.

The problem with with hair transplants is that the often look odd (like dying your hair - you don't look younger, you just look like an old bloke who dyes his hair), particularly when the hair recedes around the transplant.

The tablets are worth a go if it really bothers you, but until there's a "Hair-Bear hair-tonic" which magically restores your hair like in the cartoons, then you're better off just accepting it.

Having said that, Steve Carnell was seriously thinning in the first series of The Office, and he's now got a fuller head of hair 13 years later. Obviously he's an actor, so his looks are important for his work, but it goes to show that if you have the money, then maybe you can cure baldness.

I do think its defintely a bit more difficult if you're losing it in your 20s, and I think the guys who are seriously balding in their early 20s must have a hard time with it, as it certainly isn't the norm then. You just have to get on with it though IMO.

Another hair loss "victim" here from about 23 or so. Best advice if you can is to simply accept it and get the best (probably shortest) haircut you can.

I never tried treatments although I understand why one would especially when younger but when you look at the likes of Elton John, Trump etc. with all their resources it is hard to make work.

Hair loss is worrying enough without obsessing over it, once I realised the only people who comment are those who are losing it themselves I stopped worrying about it.

I would say do go for a shorter style when the time comes - when I finally bit the bullet and went to clippers everyone said how much better it looked !

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've got rabbits tattooed on my head - from a distance it looks like hares.

Craftsman
    Why not just go the skinhead route? Ok maybe not that far but you get the idea...

I'm 43 and have kept my hair cropped in for the last 15-20 years, been great and no hassles apart from keeping it short, about once a month I'll give it a once over. A decent pair of clippers looked after will see you through the next X amount of years.

Thanks for all your comments guys. I figured that would be the response and that's fine. I'm married with three (soon to be four) kids, so not on the pull and realise it shouldn't bother me.

I guess part of it is that I'm younger in my mind than what my body is telling me, but then I guess that's the same for everyone.

It's certainly not as a stage yet where I need a buzz cut, I was just trying to catch it early before it's really noticeable. But I'll just live with it and accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    This came up recently in a thread as well. This a great way of spending a lot of money making yourself look (pretty much permanently) ridiculous. With the added flaw that when you start going grey, it will remain dark. You're probably best off just getting "I'm a f***ing idiot" tattooed on your head - that's not going to be more than £100.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The best course of action. I had hair down to my shoulders at 34, started to notice a thinning crown. Cut the lot off never looked back. I look at guys of my age (nearly 60) try to hang on to a few wispy grey strands and feel sorry for them.
    So pleased the great Ranulf Fiennes has dumped his rug, he looked bloody awful.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-toupee.html
    Take a leaf out of Andre Agassi's book...bald is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Male pattern baldness is just nature's way of pointing out to women the most virile, mature and testosterone laden men available. Please do something to hide yours as it leaves more ladies for us .....

To be serious though I've lost nearly all mine and did before your age and it's not affected my life one iota that I'm aware of, other than making a decent hat or six more practical to keep the sun off... Let's face it, much of the worry over hair loss isn't actually about the hair. Tempus does fugit though and this always seems apposite at times like this.

Into my heart an air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again.
    Walkabout.

Chop it off. Seriously the biggest problem is the sun.

Keep it short. Keep yourself in shape and well groomed. Learn how to buy hats that suit you.

I'm not sure that the clippers is the only choice. It seems to be the default choice in this day to try to hide that you are balding by clipping so that you look like a thug. I say don't go for the clippers. Look at these the guys below... they are cool as cucumbers.

jack-nicholson.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
    sean-connery.jpg

Imagine them with football hooligan style grade 1 clipper cuts like seems to be the suggestion of so many, they'd look ridiculous.

Craftsman
    comb over like Trump????

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post

Imagine them with football hooligan style grade 1 clipper cuts like seems to be the suggestion of so many, they'd look ridiculous.
    You look like a hooligan by how your act (and to an extent dress) I have been in many a meetings with clippered people who look perfectly respectable. I must say it did worry me for a while but I wish I had clippered shorter sooner in hindsight.

The photos you show are of people substantially older than the OP or I expect the rest of us. I would also wager those above would not look like a football hooligan with a grade 1. The only time I went a bit short was grade 0 but grade 1 or 1.5 looks perfectly OK in a business setting and I have never felt the urge to headbutt anyone since I cut shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    You look like a hooligan by how your act (and to an extent dress) I have been in many a meetings with clippered people who look perfectly respectable. I must say it did worry me for a while but I wish I had clippered shorter sooner in hindsight.

The photos you show are of people substantially older than the OP or I expect the rest of us. I would also wager those above would not look like a football hooligan with a grade 1. The only time I went a bit short was grade 0 but grade 1 or 1.5 looks perfectly OK in a business setting and I have never felt the urge to headbutt anyone since I cut shorter.
    Oh, I totally agree with you about the way you act blah blah... Don't judge a chap on his thatch and all that. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment about football hooligan style cut. I'm not saying all people with clipper cuts are football hooligans, but there is a danger that the look can be a bit harsh. I'm just making the point that it is not the only option.

As for the people I linked to - they weren't always old (see below). I chose those photos as they were quite bald by that stage (the OP has already said that he is just starting to thin). But even still, I stick my my point that it is not the only option - see the same three people below as younger chaps, still thinning / receding / balding and they still all look cool as chuff. A better look, I'd wager, than their clippered alternatives.

jack-nicholson-1.jpg
    article-1061034-00453C8500000258-522_233x355.jpg
    939e65d603a2.jpg

I think a short/v short style really suits when hair is going.

Personally, I'm growing mine quite long again - so it's bound to turn grey and start falling out in clumps!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Early 30's the cul-de-sacs started to creep up the temples and i bought the clippers,quickly moved to the smooth look and stuck with it.

Master
    merkin

Shave your head and grow a beard,just looks like your heads on upside down.

Oh, I totally agree with you about the way you act blah blah... Don't judge a chap on his thatch and all that. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment about football hooligan style cut. I'm not saying all people with clipper cuts are football hooligans, but there is a danger that the look can be a bit harsh. I'm just making the point that it is not the only option.

As for the people I linked to - they weren't always old (see below). I chose those photos as they were quite bald by that stage (the OP has already said that he is just starting to thin). But even still, I stick my my point that it is not the only option - see the same three people below as younger chaps, still thinning / receding / balding and they still all look cool as chuff. A better look, I'd wager, than their clippered alternatives.

jack-nicholson-1.jpg
    939e65d603a2.jpg
    And I did say get a good haircut and take your point, but I do think for the fairly young the bushy sides works out worse than the clipped short all over. My brother is a lawyer and he does grade 1 or grade 1.5 if seeing clients. All depends on what you have left really.

The reason I picked up on the point was taht was always my concern but I wished I had gone shorter sooner in reality.

jack-nicholson-1.jpg
    939e65d603a2.jpg
    I know what you mean, but I guess it helps that Connery and Nicholson are good-looking guys, with charisma in spades (that comes through in photos).

As others have said, I think the longer-bald look works better for olders blokes with a bit of salt-and-pepper going on - as per the first Connery pic. It's a far better look than unrealistically dark hair, orange, and "tight" skin - a favourite of ageing Hollywood/music types. They're really not fooling anyone, and it just comes across as vanity.

The French and Italians seem to be able to pull this look off.

Grand Master
    Propecia
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The French and Italians seem to be able to pull this look off.
    You make a good point here - our continental friends tend to rock the bald with longer hair look really well. Other nations (ourselves included) seem to default buzz the lot off.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I know what you mean, but I guess it helps that Connery and Nicholson are good-looking guys, with charisma in spades (that comes through in photos).
    Although Connery wore rugs for most of his working career - pretty rare he went natural in a film.

Although Connery wore rugs for most of his working career - pretty rare he went natural in a film.
    He probably also wore makeup in films and clothes that suited the character he was playing. That is what actors do.

I remember when I was stopped by the cops and given one of those chittys they dole out when they give you a good telling off.

Under my description he had written - hair grey, thinning.

"How very dare you!" I replied.

Joking aside, my Mrs is my barber for the short back and sides.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

You make a good point here - our continental friends tend to rock the bald with longer hair look really well. Other nations (ourselves included) seem to default buzz the lot off.

Perhaps a legacy of the Bobby Charlton syndrome. i prefer to buzz it off because then i cannot see the grey

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Depends if you are good-looking and on the pull. If so, fair enough, pursue possible solutions. But if you are not good-looking, not on the pull, live with it. One's happiness doesn't revolve around how much hair you have.
    do you really think women care about the absence of hair on men?
    they are quite shallow if they do, but then maybe those kind of people deserve each other and can help each other with the insecurities they have in common.

Craftsman
    i am not going bald yet but i have gone grey sharpish in the last year or two due to probably the grief / stress when your parents kipper it, when you look in the mirror you see the dark hair nestling under the grey however when mates takes pictures of you out and about i seem to look like a very streaky badger and no matter how much the wife likes it you feel pretty ancient

Plenty of good suggestions above and I'd add/reinforce:

1) Find a good hairdresser. A great cut can disguise thinning hair.
    2) Avoid potions/lotions/wigs/powders/shading.
    3) Find a flattering short style and keep it short.
    4) Take it all off.
    5) Look after yourself in other ways. Keeping healthy and fit and looking after your skin can help prevent you looking old.

Like many on here I exhibit the classic male pattern baldness symptoms. From mid-twenties on I had some receding at the temples and a gradual thinning on top (front to crown). One of the ironies of losing your hair is that, in order to avoid looking ridiculous (ie Krusty the Klown style), you end up having to cut short the bits that are still thick to balance out the thinner areas. Hair loss can also change the shape of your face - your forehead appears bigger, temples are exposed more etc. It can be worrying and it's a sign we are getting older - a crueller blow if we lose our hair before we feel we ought to.

My advice: don't worry. Cut it short and enjoy the easy maintenance.
    If you're a handsome bugger with hair, you can still be a handsome bugger without it. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Master
    I like looking like a thug. I can't really think on a down side to looking scary.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I like looking like a thug. I can't really think on a down side to looking scary.
    That's called survival if you live in Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

that doesn’t really work this century, even tattoos are no longer the sign of a pretence of underlying thuggishness and anyone wearing a tight t-shirt over a gym bunny physique is most likely gay.
    the chav wardrobe of blue and white sportswear is now the only give away to a lack of intelligence and perhaps thuggish behaviour, i cant say it’s an enviable look.
    buzz cut’s are the best solution for male pattern baldness and hardly signify a person with anger management issues.

TL:DR its not the 70’s anymore

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    they are quite shallow if they do, but then maybe those kind of people deserve each other and can help each other with the insecurities they have in common.
    I can't remember.

I think some probably do.

In much the same way we look at women and decide if they are "our type".
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No more shallow than men caring about the lack (or abundance of) hair on a woman.

Yes, get over it and just shave your head every week. Been doing that for 20 years or more now.

The annoying part is when the hair in your ears and nose starts to grow like mad.

Red face

I caught the sun rather badly on saturday (In a garden all day) I didn't realise how big the egg in my nest was as it's the first time i've been sunburned on the top of me bonce!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think some probably do.

In much the same way we look at women and decide if they are "our type".

I've never been keen on women with moustaches, or excess body hair, but a quick glance in the Boys Room tells me others aren't as fussy...

So clever my foot fell off.