closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mini Cooper JCW auto convertible vs BMW M140i auto

Mini Cooper JCW auto convertible vs BMW M140i auto

Hi

My mad motorcycle mate turned up in a new JCW convertible last weekend with the performance exhaust. We went for a blast and it was great fun.
    I had a test drive today in a JCW and did like it. However after adding some extras it came in at £29k and not even a convertible. I can get around 10% off but even so a lot of money for a mini.

After the test the sales lady convinced me to have a go in a M140. Wow. That is a fast car.

The mini was fun with go kart steering and a fun feel but the M140i was something else.

Any experience of these two cars that can help me decide. Looking to do low miles and a fun 2nd car
    Thanks
    Andy

I own an M140 and have driven a couple of fast minis including the GP. Without a doubt the mini will be more fun, with a manual gearbox it would be even better.

My 140 is an auto and it is stupidly fast but feels less fun than many of my previous hot hatches. It is more practical and dare I say, less girly than any Mini.

As a second car purely for fun I'd be inclined to pick a Mini, but not an auto or a convertible.

Blog Entries
    I run a 2006 JCW manual convertible as a second/fun car and a lot depends on your driving needs and where you drive i run a lot of country roads which at the mo is great fun but not so much in traffic the clutch is heavy cannot comment on the new models but IMO they seem a little " tarty"

Last edited by mart broad; 9th July 2017 at 08:43.

My mate swopped his M4 for a JCW. I was talking to him today and he said that the M4 was just to much for a toy and although he enjoyed it he was scared of losing his licence by going to fast to get the fun factor whereas he just loves the mini for what it is.

I can see where he's coming from. The M140 was soo good at speed you can get yourself into trouble
    Last edited by awright101; 8th July 2017 at 21:10.

Love mine (M135i)

Journeyman
    Have you read this review?

http://www.evo.co.uk/mini/john-cooper-works

They state the fiesta st is more fun, maybe give it a try to see?

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Have you read this review?

http://www.evo.co.uk/mini/john-cooper-works

They state the fiesta st is more fun, maybe give it a try to see?
    Thanks, I did try one of these but wasn't impressed with the interior and seating position. And I'm a Ford fan

Master
    I have had a Mini JCW a few years back and more recently an M135i.

The M135i (the previous gen M140i), is a great car. It was fast, comfy, composed, and generally a blast to drive.
    I even had it fitted with an M Performance exhaust which sounded great.

That said, even with that the exhaust did not get as much overrun, pops & farts as I prefer to call it than the mini JCW did.
    The mini was small, fast (although not as fast as the BMW) and very go-cart like.

Which one would I have again, the Mini JCW 100%.

:)

As a fun, 2nd car? Neither. 30k ish gets you into a 987 boxster s. And there are several other options which fill the brief of a fun 2nd car far better than the original options.
    If it has to be one of those, the mini. The 140 is the better daily (by a distance), but that's why I wouldn't look at one for a fun second car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Love mine (M135i)

Let me know when you decide to swap in for the M140i :-)

Master
    I have an M140i. As mentioned, it is extremely quick and surprisingly economical too. I have driven many of its accepted competitors but, for me, it's the character and wonderfully smooth torque of that six cylinder 3-litre turbo engine that makes it so interesting. It's power delivery is seamless and if you want to just sit back and let it cruise on the motorway in eco driving mode within the speed limit, 45mpg is not difficult to achieve. It definitely needs the active suspension option though. I find it far more involving than the Golf R I had before. I imagine the JCW works mini could be more chuckable fun though. Just a personal opinion.

Master
    The F20/21/22/23 1 series makes for a great gt but it isn't an out an and out sports car, they all wallow a little, other than maybe the M2. If you really want a sharp hatch or nimble pocket rocket then I should look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Padders; 9th July 2017 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Let me know when you decide to swap in for the M140i :-)
    Running the number on the RS3 Saloon this week but having seconds thoughts!

The M140i didn't have enough upgrades to warrant the early swap.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You could get a cooper S and have the Jcw tuning and exhaust done as an extra for around the 2k mark.
    Equal fun minus the body kit and saves a lot of money.

I have no experience of the bmw so can't comment but do drive the above ^

Craftsman
    Out of the 2 m140i

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You could get a cooper S and have the Jcw tuning and exhaust done as an extra for around the 2k mark.
    Equal fun minus the body kit and saves a lot of money.

I have no experience of the bmw so can't comment but do drive the above ^
    Good idea, thanks

I’ve just got the m140i and I can’t believe the performance you get in this car and previously I had a cooperS which isn’t same as the JCW but hands down the m140i is just something else.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app