closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Games Console question from a Luddite

Games Console question from a Luddite

The last games console I owned only played tennis on a green screen so my knowledge is limited. The purchase of a new TV has opened up the possibility of getting a games console. What would you recommend for kids aged 12-8 ( 4 of them if that makes a difference) and any specific game recommendations welcome.

Many thanks - I'll return to my cave while waiting responses.

Mark

The current consoles are much-of-a-muchness. The answer is to buy what their friends have so they can play together.

Personally, Xbox One S would do the trick. The Nintendo Switch is a bit too niche and I'm not a fan of the Sony offering, even if though I own one too.

Craftsman
    To be honest either Xbox 1 or play station are much the same, in the main both will have same games, both will have their diehard fans and will argue one way or the other, personally I've always gone the Xbox route.

At their ages anything will be great, my main buying point would be which one has the best deal on, taking into consideration price and games packages on offer.

You might actually want to consider buying a PlayStation 3...

Massive number of excellent games that you can pick up for a couple of quid each instead of the £50-60 a pop of PS4 games.

The difference between a PS3 and a PS4 is only really apparent when you run them side by side or are a hardened gamer.

My 9yr old loves the PS3, and can buy games from his pocket money.

You could buy a PS3 and ten or twenty great games for a hundred quid.

Thank you for responses, one of my boys has played on an xbox 360 but other than that they are pretty inexperienced games wise.

Master
    xbox 360 or PS3 all day long.

If your lot aren't gaming fanatics (and it sounds like so far they aren't - very healthy!) then there is no need to shell out for the latest and greatest console.#

£100 will buy you one of the 7th gen consoles (above) off e.bay with a raft of games already with it. CEX, GAME, Cash Generator and plenty of other shops keep a healthy stock of the games starting at a few pence - pocket money prices for sure.

For the age limits you give, I would recommend steering clear of Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto of course, but there are TONS of sports games, driving games and family friendly games (the Lego games are especially good; Batman, Star Wars, Marvel and the like).
    Loads of party games too, some quiz and educational ones out there as well as Singstar/Sing-It games and of course the Guitar Hero and Rock Band which are fun while improving reflexes too.

Just take note of the age restrictions on the games. They are provided by the same body who rate movies, so definitely worth taking note of. If it's rated 18 then it's for damn good reason, not like my day!

Master
    PS3. Loads of games, all affordable, cheap accessories, can still output to 1080p, loads of multilayer games too including Buzz, which is great fun.

Craftsman
    Thinking about it the normal Xbox or PS3 is really good advise from others

Xbox one s

Always great deals around and all the kids have them

Does loads of other cool things too

PS4 more expensive so imo most kids have the former

Craftsman
    I've worked in video gaming retail since 1998 and yours is a very common question. Here's my input.

Some people like the latest consoles/games and like their stuff new, not second hand.
    Get the Xbox One S or PS4 Slim. New and second hand games/consoles/peripherals are available absolutely everywhere. Pricey when compared to the previous generation (Xbox 360 and PS3).

Some people aren't hugely fussed about playing the latest console/games and don't mind second hand stuff, it can be a bargain.
    Get the Xbox 360 slim with hard-drive (avoid 4GB model) or PS3 slim (120, 160, 250 or 320GB). Consoles/games are mostly second hand but if bought from a reputable source the risk is minimal. Not the current games, but LOADS of bargain belters.

Most important is you look at the games available for a console. If there's lots that sound good/appropriate you can't really lose. There really are a lot of inappropriate 16+ games on the current generation consoles, not a huge choice for 12s and under.

My PS3s get a lot of use. DVD & Blu-Ray player. Netflix and BBC iPlayer etc. Plays PS3 and PS1 games.

Thanks all , I'm off to London tomorrow and my first job is to plug in the new TV and hook up the internet- I'll look at availability of games and decide from there.