closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Yachting Theme - Collection

Blog Entries

Omega Yachting Theme - Collection

Dear all,

I’m extremely pleased to present a small collection of watches carefully assembled under the same theme: yachting.

All pieces share a defining set of attributes which I am currently very fond of:
    - Colour: brave use of colours harmoniously supporting functionality,
    - Functions: chronograph, 15min countdown timer along the Tachy ring, seconds and date,
    - Weight: heavy pieces anchoring them to the wrist,
    Size: perched high and sitting large, wide and proud.

This brave mix of attributes creates not so much an elegant watch but more a sporty, enthusiastic and visually stunning piece. If you’re normal you might not understand this but in the morning, they all seem to scream: “Hugo. Pick me, pick me!” in a similar fashion to the little green men in Toy Story.

- Tissot Navigator Yachting: introduced ~ 1972 with a Lemania 1341 automatic movement,
    - Omega Seamaster Yachting 176.010: introduced ~ 1972 with a Lemania 1340 modified by Omega and named 1040, also automatic. Of noteworthy beauty is the alternate use of polishing from sunburst to mirror.

The Tissot and Omega share many characteristics including the case, bezel and crystal. It is common to find Tissot crystals with the tiny Omega logo at its centre. Of course, this is explained by the “synergies” formed off the back of the Tissot, Omega, Lemania partnership in the 1930s.

Thank you very much for reading; I hope you enjoyed the theme, thoughts and pictures.

Hugo

A lovely themed collection you have there, Hugo. Well done

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    A lovely themed collection you have there, Hugo. Well done
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes really nice,now show us the yachts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic, thanks for posting. I really like some of those Tissot Navigators. Seems hard to find a good one.

Now that is a wonderful and an interesting trio.
    Such a relief from -How much I can make on my Speedy Tuesday and how I managed to wrangle an SD43 from my AD
    I have a soft spot for regatta watches.

Craftsman
    Wow. I didn't know that the designs could be so close. I love the black dial omega. The orange hand really looks great.

Blog Entries
    Thank you chaps for the kind words!

Blog Entries
    Great thread! Maybe some more pictures?

Master
    Thanks, nice collection and I always tend to bypass the old yachting timer watches even though I enjoy the designs and colours. There must be quite a few out there to build on your collection?

The 176.0010 is right up there Hugo. Probably THE rarest and for me, short of a Big Blue, the best looking of all Omega's 70s output. Try finding another!

Master
    Lovely collection. I did have the gold version in my collection at one point, although it is not everyone cup of tea.

Blog Entries
    Id like to add a chronostop with roulette pusher :)

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    The 176.0010 is right up there Hugo. Probably THE rarest and for me, short of a Big Blue, the best looking of all Omega's 70s output. Try finding another!

I used to do Camel Week held at Rock Sailing Club on the Camel estuary in the late 90s, walking past a small Jewlers in Wadebrigde I saw a silver faced Seamaster as per the picture above, I went back and had a look, £695.
    At the time I had just bought a house so was not able to afford it.
    Went back the next year but funny enough, it had been sold....

Blog Entries
    Thats very interesting. Are you sure it was a silver dial one?

Don't like to be a party pooper but I am sure the'Yatchting' chrono was either as blue dial or gp champagne dial only. The silver dial looks like a recased standard 176.007?

Yes, I believe so, that (entirely self-consistent) dial / hand combo was never a yachting variant originally, and I believe the crystal / chapter ring is the gold tone version.
    Dave

Still a very nice grouping

Blog Entries
    Don't like to be a party pooper but I am sure the'Yatchting' chrono was either as blue dial or gp champagne dial only. The silver dial looks like a recased standard 176.007?
    I really don't think this is correct.
    The dial of the 176.010 is different to the 176.007!
    Look at the minute markers. The silver dial is original to the 176.010!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Yes, I believe so, that (entirely self-consistent) dial / hand combo was never a yachting variant originally, and I believe the crystal / chapter ring is the gold tone version.
    Dave

Still a very nice grouping
    That may be correct on my model although who knows

You need a Lemania Elvstrom to add to that lovely collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    You need a Lemania Elvstrom to add to that lovely collection.
    I need many things and the lemania and their heuer equivalents are part of it!
    Do you have any??? ;)

Google image 176.0010 and its ss blue dial or gp & champers only. The silver dial one for me anyway, has questions, nice looking watch as it is.

Blog Entries
    Google image 176.0010 and its ss blue dial or gp & champers only. The silver dial one for me anyway, has questions, nice looking watch as it is.
    Google image is good...but I wouldn't call it a reliable source of information...

Well, if anyone can post a documented official silver dial one I'll shut up! The tachy ring on your one btw is off a gp one.

Blog Entries
    Well, if anyone can post a documented official silver dial one I'll shut up! The tachy ring on your one btw is off a gp one.
    Did google images tell you that too?

No, but years of experience and a bit of basic reasearch did. I stand by my opinion and welcome any difinitive info to the contrary.

Blog Entries
    No, but years of experience and a bit of basic reasearch did. I stand by my opinion and welcome any difinitive info to the contrary.
    Please could you share this basic research that proves that the silver dial is not original to the 176.010?

I think it is the other way round. To show originality the burden of proof is on the positive, rather than the more challenging proof of the negative. Omega were never in the habit of having one gold feature (the fading chapter ring) on what is otherwise a totally stainless watch, with no other gilt features whatsoever.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think it is the other way round. To show originality the burden of proof is on the positive, rather than the more challenging proof of the negative. Omega were never in the habit of having one gold feature (the fading chapter ring) on what is otherwise a totally stainless watch, with no other gilt features whatsoever.
    Dave
    Im disputing the dial colour. Not the bezel

I'm disputing both. I think that (consistent) hand and dial set are not original to that case. I also think that chapter ring (which could be from that case when used with other gilt features) does not belong with that hand/dial set.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hugo2703 View Post
    Please could you share this basic research that proves that the silver dial is not original to the 176.010?

OK Hugo, this is obviously eating away at you. I looked for a silver/that handset/bezel 176.0010 on google images and that takes you most places, other watch forums, owners etc. I did see this type of watch discussed on WUS for example, pretty much what we are doing now in fact.
    The word 'franken' came up but thats probably not what you want to hear. If it was sold to you as a bona fide example of the 176.0010 I'd be having words with the seller.
    I personally have no axe to grind, as you know I'm lucky enough to have owned a fabulous example for many years. Maybe contact Omega, that should put it to bed either way.
    I am more than happy to be proved wrong so get digging!

Blog Entries
    OK Hugo, this is obviously eating away at you. I looked for a silver/that handset/bezel 176.0010 on google images and that takes you most places, other watch forums, owners etc. I did see this type of watch discussed on WUS for example, pretty much what we are doing now in fact.
    The word 'franken' came up but thats probably not what you want to hear. If it was sold to you as a bona fide example of the 176.0010 I'd be having words with the seller.
    I personally have no axe to grind, as you know I'm lucky enough to have owned a fabulous example for many years. Maybe contact Omega, that should put it to bed either way.
    I am more than happy to be proved wrong so get digging!
    It's just nice to know if you have sources especially if you are claiming that something is wrong with my dial. You are also name dropping a lot of negative words and associating them with me and my collection. That's not WIS and therefore you are right: it is eating away at my collector's personae. Good job for noticing so shouldn't be a stretch for you to understand the rest