closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket P500 - who needs 500GB???

Photobucket P500 - who needs 500GB???

The charge of $399.99 is for 500GB of storage. You can get 50GB for $59.99!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st July 2017 at 12:36.

It's completely bonkers. I thought it was a scam at first! Needless to say I have terminated my relationship with Photo Bucket after 8 years

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Dont believe that the $59.99 allows 3rd party image hosting though Tony.

I might be wrong though as I normally am :)

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    It's completely bonkers. I thought it was a scam at first! Needless to say I have terminated my relationship with Photo Bucket after 8 years

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    You're missing my point - who here would need five hundred thousand MB?

Ah, I see yes good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Dont believe that the $59.99 allows 3rd party image hosting though Tony.

I might be wrong though as I normally am :)
    It allows unlimited linking, Russell, which is surely what everyone here wants?

It allows unlimited linking, Russell, which is surely what everyone here wants?
    See, told you that I'd be wrong :) Will paying an annual fee improve the user experience because it was pretty naff tbh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    See, told you that I'd be wrong :) Will paying an annual fee improve the user experience because it was pretty naff tbh?
    Well, you don't see ads when your logged in, which seems to be the major bugbear. Looks like you need Plus 100 for linking, though, so there may still be better alternatives.

It was $99.99 I think for the version that allowed linking. Frankly, I'd just had it with the way they implemented the advertising anyway, so it was time to go.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Google offers 100 GB for $1.99 per month. Better technology, better servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Google offers 100 GB for $1.99 per month. Better technology, better servers.
    No functionality whatsoever - all you're getting is web space.

No functionality whatsoever - all you're getting is web space.
    You have Google Photos, 10 times better than Photobucket. All Google products can be used on this storage.

You have Google Photos, 10 times better than Photobucket. All Google products can be used on this storage.
    Well...

There is an important limitation. You only get unlimited storage if you let Google compress and resize your photos.

Well...
    I didnt speak about unlimited free, but about 100GB for $1.99 per month.

I remember when 16KB seemed like a lot of storage! Data has a habit of increasing exponentially, we double the size of the back-up hard disk every year or two (admittedly both kids have now got into digital photography as well). Photograph files for the four of us are getting on for 1TB now.

In Google photos you can chose between unlimited storage with the caveat of Google managing size and resolution of your picture or full-sized original pictures being counted against your storage limitation. It comes with an initial free 15GB, then you can buy 100GB for $1.99, 1TB for $9.99 or 10TB for $99 per month.

Anyone with Office 365 has 1TB (each, for up to 5 accounts) OneDrive storage.

I've started using this on the odd occasion I post pictures on TZ.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have all my work stuff stored with dropbox so use that for my pics here

Used to use photobucket but swear the picture quality was reduced

In Google photos you can chose between unlimited storage with the caveat of Google managing size and resolution of your picture or full-sized original pictures being counted against your storage limitation. It comes with an initial free 15GB, then you can buy 100GB for $1.99, 1TB for $9.99 or 10TB for $99 per month.
    Okay, you've sold it to me as a storage medium, Raffe... just subscribed to 100GB for a year, so I'll start using it and see how I get on.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st July 2017 at 14:02.

It works! Link codes are a tad long, though.

Last edited by learningtofly; 1st July 2017 at 14:36.

So so does postimage.org...sort of. I had to add [img] [/img] before and after the link.
    Last edited by Tenko; 22nd May 2018 at 12:15.

I've been playing around with Imgur earlier, and now Smugmug which has 4 levels of paid membership, from Basic to Business, $4.79, $7.19, $15, $30 per month, prices are if paid in full annually. Smugmug has better functionality and is nicer to use than Imgur , which is it'self ok. A requirement for me is that I can easily post a picture from Mac, iPhone and iPad, which I've managed to do from all with both.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Photobucket went to crap over a year ago with pop-up ads and taking ages to load, so I ditched it for Flickr. 1tb storage and it's free

Talking Who needs 1 TERAbyte of storage

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    .... so I ditched it for Flickr. 1tb storage and it's free
    4 years ago, I'd upgraded to PhotoBucket Pro (their Plus20 option) @ a cost of $29.99 / year. They collected their renewal fee a week ago - just before all this B/S started. So, touch wood, I should be safe. However as the lowest paid option they now offer is Plus50 for $59.99 / year - which incredibly doesn't allow linking, I'm not counting on it.

Looked at various options suggested here and other fora: ImgBB.com, Imgur.com, Postimage.io, etc.

Instead, I thought I'd try resurrecting my old Flickr account, which I hadn't used in over 5 years ....

Not only is it still free, I've since been upgraded to 1 TERAbyte's worth of storage.

Always found their linking a little fiddly, which is why I'd switched to PB, but when needs must ....

Remembered how to link without the Flickr tagline too. :grin:
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 1st July 2017 at 21:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do. But I wouldn't buy it from pb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've been playing around with Imgur earlier, and now Smugmug which has 4 levels of paid membership, from Basic to Business, $4.79, $7.19, $15, $30 per month, prices are if paid in full annually. Smugmug has better functionality and is nicer to use than Imgur , which is it'self ok. A requirement for me is that I can easily post a picture from Mac, iPhone and iPad, which I've managed to do from all with both.
    i tried Imgur but couldn't work out how to post from the iPhone... any top tips?

The only one I've worked out is imagebb which is really simple, but, only one at a time, no folders and no organisation...

How does Smugmug compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    i tried Imgur but couldn't work out how to post from the iPhone... any top tips?
    Have you tried the Imgur app? The camera icon is in the middle of the bar at the bottom.

I forgot how easy Flickr is, actually. So, do I have 1TB of free storage or is that a paid plan?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd July 2017 at 09:36.

1TB is free with Flickr. I find it easy to use, but don't use it on mobile devices. From the FAQs:

Free account benefits
    1 TB of photo and video storage
    Upload videos of up to 1GB each
    Upload photos of up to 200 MB each
    Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
    Limitless downloads of your original photos

Pro advantages
    All free account benefits
    Stats on your photo views
    Ad-free browsing and sharing
    Desktop Uploadr for automatically backing-up images
    FREE standard shipping for photo orders within the US (auto applied for orders over $25)
    50% discount on standard shipping to international locations (auto applied for orders over $25)

Thanks - can't see any way to get the BB code from the mobile app, though, which would render it unusable if I'm right.

So, do I have 1TB of free storage or is that a paid plan?
    Mine appears to be free still (but now with 1TB storage) - I guess it's a legacy of being a comparatively early adopter (member since 2009).
    Quote from: https://techcrunch.com/2015/07/23/fl...cription-plan/

The annual plan is $49.99 per year – otherwise it’s $5.99 per month for a Pro subscription.
    But I've read elsewhere that new Flickr free accounts don't allow linking.

Matthew's already nailed it.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 2nd July 2017 at 09:13. Reason: Too slow replying

The only one I've worked out is imagebb which is really simple, but, only one at a time, no folders and no organisation...

How does Smugmug compare?

I was going to post an update to my earlier post to say that I can't find a way to get a usable link from either the Imgur or Smugmug apps. However it's easy if going via their websites. With Imgur you have to copy and paste the link and wrap it in [img][/img] , with Smugmug you have an option to resize and then copy the bb code, or you can copy a direct link and do as above with the Imgur link. Smugmug is easier to use but not free like Imgur, so I've got the remainder of the 14 day trial to play around with the features before deciding. On both iPad and iPhone I have the websites saved as links/icons on my homepage via Safari and moved into my Photo folder, so effectively working as apps.
    F.T.F.A.

I was going to post an update to my earlier post to say that I can't find a way to get a usable link from either the Imgur or Smugmug apps. However it's easy if going via their websites. With Imgur you have to copy and paste the link and wrap it in [img][/img] , with Smugmug you have an option to resize and then copy the bb code, or you can copy a direct link and do as above with the Imgur link. Smugmug is easier to use but not free like Imgur, so I've got the remainder of the 14 day trial to play around with the features before deciding. On both iPad and iPhone I have the websites saved as links/icons on my homepage via Safari and moved into my Photo folder, so effectively working as apps.
    Much the same as Flickr, then.

I do like the functionality of PB, so it's a shame it all appears to be going tits up.

Photobucket P500 - who needs 500GB???

I was going to post an update to my earlier post to say that I can't find a way to get a usable link from either the Imgur or Smugmug apps. However it's easy if going via their websites. With Imgur you have to copy and paste the link and wrap it in [img][/img].
    You can do the same in the Imgur app, i.e. tap and hold on the image, options come up including 'copy link', paste that link between IMG brackets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Have you tried the Imgur app? The camera icon is in the middle of the bar at the bottom.
    Use... got that far, but, can't get a link from it that can go direct into the forum

I hit the square. Is with the arrow up (top left) then copy link, and tired with and without [img] on here and nothing appeared...

The beauty of the PB app was you hit info and had 4 different options for a way to copy the link and you simply hit img and then paste in here and voila...

Looking for a similar experience and can't find out how to do that on either Imgur or Flickr

Any assistance welcome!

I just get this

https://flic.kr/p/VKuRDS

Or this

Same on Imgur

https://imgur.com/a/QC9lU

[img]https://imgur.com/a/QC9lU[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8BaGe6X.png[/[img]
    Last edited by Wolfie; 2nd July 2017 at 10:55.

Use... got that far, but, can't get a link from it that can go direct into the forum

I hit the square. Is with the arrow up (top left) then copy link, and tired with and without [img] on here and nothing appeared...

The beauty of the PB app was you hit info and had 4 different options for a way to copy the link and you simply hit img and then paste in here and voila...

Looking for a similar experience and can't find out how to do that on either Imgur or Flickr

Any assistance welcome!

I just get this

https://flic.kr/p/VKuRDS

Or this

[img]https://flic.kr/p/VKuRDS[img]

Same on Flickr

https://imgur.com/a/QC9lU

[img]https://imgur.com/a/QC9lU[img]
    I had that the first time I tried. Don't press the square/arrow up icon as that gives a link to the post in Imgur, not the actual image. Just tap and hold on the actual image and three options come up, including copy link. If you last that between two IMG brackets it should work (has .jpg on the end). Not quite as good as the BB functionality you mentioned but pretty straightforward.

Look at my previous post to see an example.

Blog Entries
    I have pro for $35.00 pa currently have 2991 pics occupying 4% of my 30.1 gb why would need more? and the improvement for 35 bucks pa is IMO well worth it especially for upload speed, editing and all round stability.
    Last edited by mart broad; 2nd July 2017 at 11:00.

Blog Entries
    I had that the first time I tried. Don't press the square/arrow up icon as that gives a link to the post in Imgur, not the actual image. Just tap and hold on the actual image and three options come up, including copy link. If you last that between two IMG brackets it should work (has .jpg on the end). Not quite as good as the BB functionality you mentioned but pretty straightforward.

Ok tapped and held image

Copy link pressed

In between [img][/img]

Bingo !!!

Dudley is pleased!

Last edited by Wolfie; 2nd July 2017 at 11:12.

Blog Entries

Thank you 😊

I've managed to get the BB Code box up on Flickr using a mobile browser rather than the app but I still can't copy the entire code on an iPhone (maybe it will work on an iPad). A shame as I really like the different resolution options.

Thank you
    You are welcome :). Nice watch and nice Dudley.

Blog Entries
    You are welcome :). Nice watch and nice Dudley.
    Cheers

Just downloaded imgur on my iPad and it's easier you get the picture option on the forum, post the link and voila - so you'd don't have to faff about with typing out the whole [img] thing

I have my solution and imgur seems to be it...

I found that using the Imgur site on my iMac, if I try to get a link from a picture in an album it wont play, but if I view Images rather than Albums and then click on a picture I get a load of link options, including bb code.

F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    I use the free picture hosting on others forums for eg 28000bpm watch forum we have just started off the back of photobucket

Master
    My photo bucket uploads still seem fine. I pay nothing. What's with the inconsistency? I do have a very low level of storage, mind you. I'm guessing around 20 meg.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    My photo bucket uploads still seem fine. I pay nothing. What's with the inconsistency? I do have a very low level of storage, mind you. I'm guessing around 20 meg.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    I've no idea what my storage amount is but so far (fingers crossed) PB is still working for me, and I've never paid them a penny.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I pay for photo storage on several websites:

iCloud - 2TB for £6.99 per month (used for photos and iCloud backups)
    SmugMug - unlimited storage for £5.61 per month (£67.36 per year)
    Google - 1TB of storage spread across all Google services for £8.02 per month ($9.99 per month)

My definitive copy of my photo library lives in iCloud so I can share it across all my devices. I upload all my photos to SmugMug manually on a month by month basis. This is where friends and family typically look at my photos and is where I share them from when posting here. I use Google as an automated backup. The upload app runs on my MacBook Pro. Whenever I import new photos in the Photos app, they automatically get uploaded to Google.

I also pay for online backup of my MacBook Pro at Backblaze and Crashplan. You can never be too careful when it comes to backing up your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I pay for photo storage on several websites:

iCloud - 2TB for £6.99 per month (used for photos and iCloud backups)
    SmugMug - unlimited storage for £5.61 per month (£67.36 per year)
    Google - 1TB of storage spread across all Google services for £8.02 per month ($9.99 per month)

My definitive copy of my photo library lives in iCloud so I can share it across all my devices. I upload all my photos to SmugMug manually on a month by month basis. This is where friends and family typically look at my photos and is where I share them from when posting here. I use Google as an automated backup. The upload app runs on my MacBook Pro. Whenever I import new photos in the Photos app, they automatically get uploaded to Google.

I also pay for online backup of my MacBook Pro at Backblaze and Crashplan. You can never be too careful when it comes to backing up your photos.
    What happended to just sticking them in an album with those little corners?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    What happended to just sticking them in an album with those little corners?
    I have 34000 photos so would need a few albums.

I have 2.5TB of Legion pictures from the last 6 1/2 years. So I could easily fill that if I made folders for each troop and pick and choose which to include.