closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The price of razor blades - it's a joke

The price of razor blades - it's a joke

I can't believe that even the fanciest titanium/ceramic coated seventeen bladed creations cost more than a few pence to mass produce. Yet a packet of 10 can easily cost more than £25 - WTF !

I think the makers and retailers are very happy with the inflated prices created by this "cartel" and should be reported to the Gov't for some nice heavy fines to be imposed.

Yeah, silly prices. It's a loss leader on the handle, like printers, sell them for next to nothing, knowing you then have the consumer tied in to you using your overpriced blades/ink/whatever.

Buy yourself a DE razor for £20-30 and then enjoy paying pennies per blade forever more

It's a bit like sanitary towels
    The manufactures know people need them, so they charge what they like
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Disposables or go DE for the win. Bit more time required but you can always go safety razor in a hurry.

Craftsman
    I don't see it as a cartel. There is a huge choice in shaving equipment. I had a quick look and you can currently get a pack of 10 disposable twin blade razors for 99p.
    If you want the latest and greatest then you will be paying for the marketing, R&D costs, Capital costs of new machinery, packaging etc.

Its no different to watches really if you look at manufacturing cost only should Rolex, Omega etc be caught by government legislation ?

Plus aren't beards fashionable at the moment !!??

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I've always found cheap blades are shit.
    You get what you pay for to some extent - but I suspect the markup in decent blades is pretty significant
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Electric shaver no good? It suits me, although I'm not a fan of the clean shaven look.

Craftsman
    Converted to DE two years ago after spending loads on Gillette etc. Not going back, get a great shave and I prefer the overall experience of a DE shave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    Converted to DE two years ago after spending loads on Gillette etc. Not going back, get a great shave and I prefer the overall experience of a DE shave.
    This for me now as well - enjoy the "whole shave thing" again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Me also, though still keep a Gillete handy for when in a rush or lazy!!

Never could understand the price of Gillete Razors, bit of a racket like print cartridges

Grow a beard - cheaper, easier, and use Wahl Sterling electric clippers.

Sorted.

(No matter what, those fancy Gillette multi-bladed nonsense cartridges never lasted more than two shaves with me anyway...)
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    This for me now as well - enjoy the "whole shave thing" again.
    Me Too, Can't beat DE shaving regardless of the cost............

Go DE, or shavette/cut throat. Cheaper, and better than the crap Gillette etc will sell you.

Another DE convert here. Went DE years ago and whilst the Gillette multi razors do shave closer I feel I am much happier with the DE solution and I also no longer suffer ingrowing hairs that I used to get with multi blades. I agree they are a rip off but there are other choices.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Grow a beard - cheaper, easier, and use Wahl Sterling electric clippers.

Sorted.

(No matter what, those fancy Gillette multi-bladed nonsense cartridges never lasted more than two shaves with me anyway...)
    I use Gillette multi blades and they last me months at a time!

It feels a bit like I'm plucking each hair individually at times though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I use Gillette multi blades and they last me months at a time!

It feels a bit like I'm plucking each hair individually at times though!
    That's because they are blunt and you need to change them!

Try cornerstone or bearded colonel. Good quality stuff and blades are much better and cheaper than Gillette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    I can't believe that even the fanciest titanium/ceramic coated seventeen bladed creations cost more than a few pence to mass produce. Yet a packet of 10 can easily cost more than £25 - WTF !

I think the makers and retailers are very happy with the inflated prices created by this "cartel" and should be reported to the Gov't for some nice heavy fines to be imposed.
    Where is there evidence of a cartel ? Best to be more careful with your choice of words.

If you want to buy fancy blades, expect to pay fancy prices. No one is forcing you to buy the blades, so why the bluster ?

As already stated, you can buyer much cheaper methods of shaving, there are hundreds of different blades on offer.

I'm one of those that spend quite a bit on Gillette - I use the Mach 3 Turbo. I've tried disposable razors and just couldn't get on with them. Despite the high price, I find the Mach 3 Turbo good for my needs.

I wouldn't mind trying a DE razor but I realise I'd need to take much more time and care. In the mornings I'm normally in a rush so I don't think this would be workable.

Master
    I recently bought 200 Teflon coated blades for a tenner from some bloke in Russia on the bay of fools - that'll do me for a while at two a week - the shave gel is the most expensive thing for me but it's just the best (and the aftershave of course) :-)

Takes me the same time with a G3 as a DE Fatboy on a 6

B

Nothing too fancy for me, still using my Gillette Contour razor I bought when I joined the Army in 1987, I heard years ago the blades for this razor were not being made any longer, so I bought a box full of Ebay still going strong.

FFS! "The whole shaving experience"...................

You could end up - filling your day with "rituals"

I insist on taking a bath, as it enhances the whole "cleansing experience"

I only wear a manual watch - as it increases the "ownership experience"

I insist on peeling potatoes using an ordinary knife, as it enhances the "cooking experience"

If you like the cost-saving of DE shaving......... just say so.

Master
    Both Teso and Asda have just brought out Mach 3 compatible blades at £7.50 for 8. I've been using them and they seem pretty good

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://groceries.asda.com/product/m...s/910003009236
    Last edited by mrushton; 30th June 2017 at 15:42.

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Both Teso and Asda have just brought out Mach 3 compatible blades at £7.50 for 8. I've been using them and they seem pretty good

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://groceries.asda.com/product/m...s/910003009236

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Nothing too fancy for me, still using my Gillette Contour razor I bought when I joined the Army in 1987, I heard years ago the blades for this razor were not being made any longer, so I bought a box full of Ebay still going strong.
    Same here. I'm also still using the first razor I bought in '84 was a Gillette Contour Plus. I bulk buy (in 50's) the blades in blister packs for about a pound each, I get 2 shaves out of one then it gets binned. They last about a year. Ten bob a shave, that's as cheap or as dear as it needs to be for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    That's because they are blunt and you need to change them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don't say!

You don't say!
    ???? Well isn't it 100% true ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    ???? Well isn't it 100% true ?
    Of course it is; it's the only way to stop the wife from using it!

Of course it is; it's the only way to stop the wife from using it!
    Suggest to your wife she obtains one of them buzzin' beard trimmer things for deforestation purposes.
    The absolute pleasure of shaving could then possibly be twofold.
    (And it'll keep her away from your razors. Win Win) Voila !

Invest in a Razorpit - extends life of yer average Gillette or Wilkinson Sword blades by at least double - handy for plebs like me who don't trust themselves (or indeed cannot be arsed) with more primitive shaving methods

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP...words=razorpit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Invest in a Razorpit - extends life of yer average Gillette or Wilkinson Sword blades by at least double - handy for plebs like me who don't trust themselves (or indeed cannot be arsed) with more primitive shaving methods

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP...words=razorpit
    That's pretty cool... I have no intention of trying DE - don't have time and would never trust myself... will get one!

Ben

Been shaving with a DE for nearly 20 years and and did a year using straights. Shaving with a straight is a proper shaving experience/ritual but DE takes no longer than a Mach 17. I've got a badger brush and shave cream and that does take a bit longer but I mainly use Dermalogica shave gel and it's as quick as anything.

DE is massively cheaper and every bit as close, if not closer than the multiblade options.

DE when I'm at home, BIC 1 when I'm on the road.

Couldn't go back to that daft cartridge carry-on. Crackers.

As others have said, DE shaving is the way to go. Massively cheaper per shave as long as you don't get drawn into buying all sorts of fancy brushes, lotions and potions.

This forum got me into DE shaving a few years ago. You can shave for less than £20 a year on high quality Japanese blades blades and excellent soap... Thats me @ 2 to 3 shaves a week.

I also can confidently state that DE shave beats the crap out of Mach 3 when you get your method.
    I use Proraso Soap / Feather Blades / Merkur 25c.

Annual cost;
    200 Feather blades are about £45. I use about 40 blades a year, lets say £10/year on blades.
    Proraso Shave Soap is about £5 a pot and I probably use 3 pots a year maximum.

So setup costs;
    Merkur Razor (£20) / Brush (£6)

Theres no discussion left for me here, I was spending +£100 before DE shaving and getting a poorer result.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've always found cheap blades are shit.
    You get what you pay for to some extent - but I suspect the markup in decent blades is pretty significant
    Estimates vary but the numbers I've seen suggest about 5000% for Gillette.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    This forum got me into DE shaving a few years ago. You can shave for less than £20 a year on high quality Japanese blades blades and excellent soap... Thats me @ 2 to 3 shaves a week.

I also can confidently state that DE shave beats the crap out of Mach 3 when you get your method.
    I use Proraso Soap / Feather Blades / Merkur 25c.

Annual cost;
    200 Feather blades are about £45. I use about 40 blades a year, lets say £10/year on blades.
    Proraso Shave Soap is about £5 a pot and I probably use 3 pots a year maximum.

So setup costs;
    Merkur Razor (£20) / Brush (£6)

Theres no discussion left for me here, I was spending +£100 before DE shaving and getting a poorer result.
    Its almost as though you read my mind and put it into words!

Gillette blade are disproportionately expensive, but one blade could last me about a month, so I don't mind using them so much. I've never had other blades last quite as well before needing changing. I wouldn't trust myself with anything but a modern safety type razor, not with my hand tremor :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    If you want the latest and greatest then you will be paying for the marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing etc.
    Fixed.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Its almost as though you read my mind and put it into words!
    Mine too, except I think it's worth paying the one time expense of getting a Feather AS D2 as it's the best shave I've ever had - even my wife borrows it for her complex ablutions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Mine too, except I think it's worth paying the one time expense of getting a Feather AS D2 as it's the best shave I've ever had - even my wife borrows it for her complex ablutions.
    I concur very smooth shave indeed especially when paired with a good sharp blade , my favourite is Polsilver. This combination for me lasts a week before I change the blade which is pennies.........

Craftsman
    That's Why I went DE more than 10 years ago.

Bought a Mekur 34c
    I Use Gillette blue blades - cheap as chips - body shop shave cream

Get a better shave, save money and it's better for the environment

No brainer really

Prices for a pack of five top brand blades here is €34 (Mach4)

Thinking of going the DE route, are these any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Safety-3-...wAAOSwcLxYLcAC

Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Prices for a pack of five top brand blades here is €34 (Mach4)

Thinking of going the DE route, are these any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Safety-3-...wAAOSwcLxYLcAC
    I would stick with a better known brand like Merkur or Muehle...

Journeyman
    Been using sensor excel for at least 20 years, bought a nice handle and silver badger brush from Harrods at least 18 years ago and both are still going strong, however I don't like to think how much the blades have cost me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Mine too, except I think it's worth paying the one time expense of getting a Feather AS D2
    Is the correct answer. With Feather blades - it's a "mild" razor, the blades are noted for being extremely sharp, and the two together work perfectly.

I started DE shaving a couple of years ago after using cartridge razors (Wilkinson Sword & Gillette Mach'whatever) for years.

DE is loads better, cheaper & I actually don't mind shaving now. Merkur 34C, Arko shave stick & Personna Platinum blades are my choice.

Dave

I've got a Merkur Futur - adjustable DE. Absolutely perfect. I got a free Gillette Fusion thingy on the front of a magazine recently, gave it a go, nowhere near as good as my Merkur with a Feather blade in.

Master
    I went DE 5ish years back, Edwin Jagger razor, badger mix brush and feather blades give me the smoothest, lowest irritation shave i've ever had. Tried a few soaps / creams form the old bond street biggies but settled on palmolive as the cheapest with a good lather and feel. I do like a bit of Taylors Eaton collage for special occasions though.
    My absolute favorite blade was the Russian Iridium Super (not the polsilver version) which had the sharpness of the feathers with better smoothness but is sadly no longer made and NOS prices are eye watering if you can find them.

After the initial outlay (say £50 for a decent razor and brush, plus blades and soap) buy blades in bulk and the costs are minute.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I went DE 5ish years back, Edwin Jagger razor, badger mix brush and feather blades give me the smoothest, lowest irritation shave i've ever had. Tried a few soaps / creams form the old bond street biggies but settled on palmolive as the cheapest with a good lather and feel. I do like a bit of Taylors Eaton collage for special occasions though.
    My absolute favorite blade was the Russian Iridium Super (not the polsilver version) which had the sharpness of the feathers with better smoothness but is sadly no longer made and NOS prices are eye watering if you can find them.

After the initial outlay (say £50 for a decent razor and brush, plus blades and soap) buy blades in bulk and the costs are minute.
    I got the selection pack of blades from Connaught, decided Feather and Treet were my favourites, and bought a batch of 200 of each on ebay. The Treets were £12, Feathers about £20. I doubt I'll ever need to buy any more in my lifetime.

Agree on the Palmolive, too. I use that when travelling, and Proraso soap at home. A £10 tub of soap lasts me a year.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I would stick with a better known brand like Merkur or Muehle...
    Thanks.