closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photobucket p500

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Im using Imgur now, it's fantastic compared to photobucket, which just got clunky and slow over the years.
    How easy is this ? ive a PB account and was going to try tiny pic but thats owned by PB so i can see that being messed with .

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Thanks for that info Tony. I've left all of my pictures on PB until I have time to make a list of the album titles and their contents, then whichever way I go for hosting I'll put up whatever from the lists, there's probably a fair bit I'll not bother with. It's also a spur to get Lightroom set up properly for albums, saving etc. I sense a steep learning curve ahead!
    You and me both, mate!

Master
    I migrated all my PB pics over to Imgur and it was relatively painless. So far I am impressed with Imgur, way more usable than PB in its final death throes. I was expecting glitches galore but PB generated a zip file for download pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I hardly use it at all in terms of storage - I doubt I have 100 images up there. I have flipped a few watches lately and SC posts do get looked at, so maybe that level of usage is too much bandwidth to continue for free - though I am sure many users would generate vastly more traffic than that?
    Ironically I'm feeling fairly comfortable with my small collection now and was about to post a first SOTC - looks like I'd better register with imgur!
    Could be, perhaps a recent spike is a trigger. Mine work, but are mostly just in ancient SC threads. I don't post images much. For anything in public threads, there's no way to predict how much bandwidth it'll use. Just depends how often people land on it from Google.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I migrated all my PB pics over to Imgur and it was relatively painless. So far I am impressed with Imgur, way more usable than PB in its final death throes. I was expecting glitches galore but PB generated a zip file for download pretty quickly.
    Just popped the app on the phone and its miles quicker than PB to upload something....this could be a solution . Thanks for that

I managed to download one folder (watch photos) before attempting to delete the account. It's so slow (despite being on superfast broadband) to load anything it still took about 30 minutes just to download that one folder (after many attempts). After an hour or so of messing around I just can't be arsed trying to download the rest. For a tenner a year I would probably have paid for it but it's worth no more to me so no great loss. Plus it means that with all hope a load of my photos nicked and used round the world on other sites will also have disappeared!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Could be, perhaps a recent spike is a trigger. Mine work, but are mostly just in ancient SC threads. I don't post images much. For anything in public threads, there's no way to predict how much bandwidth it'll use. Just depends how often people land on it from Google.
    Very possibly - or maybe it's because all my pics are there for 3rd party (TZ!) viewing and they look at that sort of statistic? (they know I'm not there to buy prints etc)

Very possibly - or maybe it's because all my pics are there for 3rd party (TZ!) viewing...
    So are mine, although I did upload a few images that I never got around to posting.

...and they look at that sort of statistic? (they know I'm not there to buy prints etc)
    They do know who is hotlinking images (3rd party hosting as they call it) and exactly which images. They can tell because the HTTP protocol includes a "referer header" (misspelling intentional). When you request an image from a server, the referer header tells it which page the request came from, so they know if people are linking to images from other sites. However, they probably ignore it unless it gets above a certain level. They could very easily block hotlinking for all images (and only when they are hotlinked), but clearly they intentionally opted not to do so.

It's also a spur to get Lightroom set up properly for albums, saving etc.
    Can you believe I've never done that, despite using Lr for years?! Even worse, I'll use various devices to hold the original image, so Lr can't cope if the wrong back-up isn't present. It's my innate dislike of post-processing I blame - nothing to do with stupidity or laziness of course...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

News had now hit the BBC with the words "ransom demand" being used repeatedly (in quotes, but also in the headline):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

"The BBC received an automated response when it tried to contact the company and is still seeking comment."

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Pb used to be great
    I don't know how a company like that has managed to shoot themselves so successfully in the foot.
    Totally agree!

Other companies followed the same strategy, or they are about to do so. I now use "post images". Works well, but they have announced that they plan to change their policy, too.

News had now hit the BBC with the words "ransom demand" being used repeatedly (in quotes, but also in the headline):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

"The BBC received an automated response when it tried to contact the company and is still seeking comment."
    Well said, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    I now use "post images". Works well, but they have announced that they plan to change their policy, too.
    Have you got a link for that?

The unfortunate thing about image hosting sites is that this is cyclical. There's always a new one starting up with a poorly thought out business model, meanwhile another one like PB is going bust. They are expensive to run and don't make a lot of money. Imgur is not much better. They took a lot of VC funding, so have been under a lot of pressure to start making money, hence all the social features. They have already disabled hotlinking for certain sites, they just haven't quite got to the PB stage of doing it for all sites yet. Their rather odd relationship with Reddit has largely broken down, as they've both realised they are actually competitors, not partners. So that is likely to get increasingly hostile and if they ever block hotlinking on Reddit, they will almost certainly block it everywhere else too.

There isn't really a good alternative, but postimage was looking like one of the better options. Only thing is I've noticed in the past couple of days they've started redirecting to "postimages.org" when their logo still says "postimage" (singular). That's not a good sign, and suggests they are already having issues with the influx of PB refugees if they are suddenly changing things like that, given they've supposedly been around, using the "postimage" name, since 2004.

Also the phrase "inspired by imgur terms of use" seems to have just been added to their T&Cs, as I don't recall seeing that last time I looked about a week ago. If they'd actually consulted a lawyer, that's the first thing they'd have told them to take out, so clearly they have not.

Have you got a link for that?

The unfortunate thing about image hosting sites is that this is cyclical. There's always a new one starting up with a poorly thought out business model, meanwhile another one like PB is going bust. They are expensive to run and don't make a lot of money. Imgur is not much better. They took a lot of VC funding, so have been under a lot of pressure to start making money, hence all the social features. They have already disabled hotlinking for certain sites, they just haven't quite got to the PB stage of doing it for all sites yet. Their rather odd relationship with Reddit has largely broken down, as they've both realised they are actually competitors, not partners. So that is likely to get increasingly hostile and if they ever block hotlinking on Reddit, they will almost certainly block it everywhere else too.

There isn't really a good alternative, but postimage was looking like one of the better options. Only thing is I've noticed in the past couple of days they've started redirecting to "postimages.org" when their logo still says "postimage" (singular). That's not a good sign, and suggests they are already having issues with the influx of PB refugees if they are suddenly changing things like that, given they've supposedly been around, using the "postimage" name, since 2004.

Also the phrase "inspired by imgur terms of use" seems to have just been added to their T&Cs, as I don't recall seeing that last time I looked about a week ago. If they'd actually consulted a lawyer, that's the first thing they'd have told them to take out, so clearly they have not.
    Thank you for your very interesting reply. I totally agree with you. Unfortunately I don't have a link for that, I have read it in a similar thread of another forum, I hope it is inaccurate. I should have asked for a link myself about this, though. This happened while I was in a middle of a thousand of other things at work, I was very angry about it and I didn't have the patience to search about that more thoroughly. Thank you.

Master
    As I am doing Amazon Web Services training at the moment I'll throw this in as an option for anyone with a bit of tech knowledge. Maybe use S3 to store the files. A lot of these photo sites probably use it under the covers anyway. Dropbox stores all their files on S3. The key is really how much you want to store and how often it would be accessed as that determines the pricing. You get a decent amount "free" with an account for a year but need to create new accounts each year to maintain some of the free parts.

As part of the AWS Free Usage Tier, you can get started with Amazon S3 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage in the Standard Storage class, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, and 15 GB of data transfer out each month for one year.
    I think the biggest issue might be an image becoming viral and the transfer costs going off the scale. But you can set limits to warn/lock down this. It's an interesting area at any rate and I imagine this sort of thing will become more prevalent as hosting sites find they have to charge more due to their own costs.
    Last edited by reecie; 6th July 2017 at 12:48.

I'm very happy that I finally managed to find a way to make dropbox work.

Don't know if this is posted here before. I'm posting it just in case.

1. I uploaded a photo to dropbox.
    2. Pressed share and created a shared link
    3. Following instructions from here: https://milanaryal.com/hosting-image...-your-website/ , I replaced www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com in the share link
    4. added [img] at the beginning of the link and [/img] at the end of the link and copied and pasted the resulting text, to the forum reply field and the result is this, so it worked:

Hope this is useful to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    As I am doing Amazon Web Services training at the moment I'll throw this in as an option for anyone with a bit of tech knowledge. Maybe use S3 to store the files.
    You will get a fright when Amazon send the bandwidth bill for an unexpectedly popular post. They are not cheap.

Pretty sure the free tier is only free for 12 months. Also, not sure what their overage policy is, but I believe you have pay for it rather than it being capped.

Master
    You will get a fright when Amazon send the bandwidth bill for an unexpectedly popular post. They are not cheap.

Pretty sure the free tier is only free for 12 months. Also, not sure what their overage policy is, but I believe you have pay for it rather than it being capped.
    I mention most of that in my original post. People tend to create a new account under a new email to keep free. You set billing limits to address (or at least alert on the cost) though this is probably the the main issue with using AWS for this sort of thing outside of personal storage

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I mention most of that in my original post. People tend to create a new account under a new email to keep free. You set billing limits to address (or at least alert on the cost) though this is probably the the main issue with using AWS for this sort of thing outside of personal storage
    The biggest problem with PB shutting down is losing images from forums that were posted years ago. If you can be bothered moving everything to a new account every year, you might as well use postimage or whatever site works right now, then switch again when it inevitably folds.

I'm not certain exactly how AWS does their billing these days (I've always avoided it). Maybe they've simplified it. But I have seen many horror stories about unexpected bills. It's pretty much the roaming-charges of the web.

A quick way to move everything onto your hard drive is via Google Chrome. Once you open it, go to their app store and download Photobucket Downloader (costs about £1.50), then open up Photobucket in Chrome, and there will be a download button on the right hand side of your photos. It will download 100 photos at a time. Takes a few seconds per 100. The whole thing just took me 20 minutes, including downloading chrome, signing into Google, buying the app and emptying Photobucket. Then deleting the fuxker!

I see photobucket has climbed down from their high horse and now offer a premium service for $100 a year. I had this email yesterday:

Dear Gary,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

I expect they were loosing revenue hand over fist and had to offer a more affordable option before all their customer migrated to other photo hosting services.

I'll probably stump up the cash purely for convenience and to keep some of my older threads running with pictures.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    I just use the hotlink addon and all the old threads with photobucket work just fine. So I see no point in spending $99 a year when I can get a better service for $0 a year elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    I see photobucket has climbed down from their high horse and now offer a premium service for $100 a year. I had this email yesterday:

Dear Gary,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

I expect they were loosing revenue hand over fist and had to offer a more affordable option before all their customer migrated to other photo hosting services.

I'll probably stump up the cash purely for convenience and to keep some of my older threads running with pictures.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thank you very much for the update, although for now I'm using alternative free of change services.

After the damage they've done to numerous fora I hope they go to the wall the robbing b*******.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    After the damage they've done to numerous fora I hope they go to the wall the robbing b*******.
    Very much what was said here!