closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long overdue return to biking ...

Journeyman
    Hope you have fun with it

When the you get the chance a long ferry down to Northern Spain and then a slow/fast bimble back is always great fun plus its always nice to properly get to know a bike in decent weather

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not sure tinkering always works though. The guys who did my Scrambler......

Have just turned this out......

A question of degree and taste, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Scrambler looks cool.
    Only reservation is the tyres.
    Borrowed a mates MT09 shod similarly.
    Noisy, and handled like a pig on stilts.
    They tend to kill what can be a sweet handling bike.

The R9T...that's just nasty.

Master
    I would leave the headers, you will get lots of smiles per miles with the termi pipes alone.
    Great looking bike, ps lovin the tank in fill panels.

Master
    Almost exactly 12 months after buying my Ducati ... it's been traded ...

After spending too much on upgrades .. I just about justified it to myself. I got more in the trade in than I paid for the bike 12 months ago (OK - that doesn't include the excessive upgrades)

I went from this Ducati scrambler..

To this ...

BMW R NineT Sport
    Last edited by I a n; 16th July 2018 at 19:18.

Nice upgrade. A lot more power, and nicer suspension and brakes imo. Plus I just love twin bmw’s
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Almost exactly 12 months after buying my Ducati ... it's been traded ...

After spending too much on upgrades .. I just about justified it to myself. I got more in the trade in than I paid for the bike 12 months ago (OK - that doesn't include the excessive upgrades)

I went from this ...

To this ...

BMW R NineT Sport
    Good move.

I did DAS and got my licence a month or so back. When I was waiting to take MOD1 I went to the local bike shop to take a look at a used Ducati Scrambler and came back having put a deposit on an R9T.

I never rode the Scrambler but am loving the BMW compared with the DAS bikes I was riding to get my licence.

How do the Scrambler and R9T compare?

I’ve recently returned to biking too, although the circumstances rather painful (my thread - Think I’m Done).

Anyway, I picked this up over weekend, another version of Ducati’s Scrambler, the Desert SLED...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Good move.

How do the Scrambler and R9T compare?
    They're both great bikes.
    Scrambler was an ideal first bike and I loved doing all the mods I did.

I just grew out of it .. wanted something bigger - physically and in terms of power.

1200 vs 800 means bags more torque.

But most importantly both have the great noise a twin has.

Akrapovic on the BMW sounds the business!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I’ve recently returned to biking too, although the circumstances rather painful (my thread - Think I’m Done).

Anyway, I picked this up over weekend, another version of Ducati’s Scrambler, the Desert SLED...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great choice!
    Sled has good upgrades over the Icon.
    And a bigger bike in terms of ride height.
    I'd choose a DS if I was buying one now.

They're both great bikes.
    Scrambler was an ideal first bike and I loved doing all the mods I did.

I just grew out of it .. wanted something bigger - physically and in terms of power.

1200 vs 800 means bags more torque.

But most importantly both have the great noise a twin has.

Akrapovic on the BMW sounds the business!
    I wondered about the riding position? I’m 5’9” and found that I needed to add bar risers to the R9T to get a comfy position that wasn’t too tiring, particularly with regards to my right wrist.

The Scrambler seemed a little more compact by way of comparison.

Agree about the engine and exhaust. The Sport Akrapovic can looks smart!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Looks nice. It's a long old process isn't it? I decided to take it up last year but went the 125 route. So CBT last Nov, did 2500 miles on a 125 since then, theory a few weeks back and doing DAS in Sep. Still deciding what to buy...
    Funnily enough, I’m about to do the same, having decided to err on the side of caution. I’m hoping to go and see this tomorrow, as it’s only a couple of miles away...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I wondered about the riding position? I’m 5’9” and found that I needed to add bar risers to the R9T to get a comfy position that wasn’t too tiring, particularly with regards to my right wrist.

The Scrambler seemed a little more compact by way of comparison.

Agree about the engine and exhaust. The Sport Akrapovic can looks smart!
    I'm 6' 0" .. The R9T riding position is pretty good for me ... my feet are slightly more tucked up, but my feet are slightly further forward.
    I like the lower bar position on the R9T. It's still not a big bike in comparison to any sports tourer.
    However - before I bought the R9T I test rode - Ducati Monster 821 (too uncomfortable - felt like a proper sports bike, and an Aprilia Shiver - just didn't get on with it).

Scrambler - knees are more like 90 degrees and under my @rse. I swapped the high rise Icon bars for the lower Full Throttle bars - but then added Gilles Risers - these are great and let me move the bars up and towards me - they're for sale if anyone is reading this and wants some)

Master
    BTW - when it comes to comfort .... pins and needles in my hands used to be the limiting factor in how long I could ride for ...
    I can now ride all day without suffering at all .. spent 3 days riding from South to North Wales the other weekend.
    My tips:
    [1] Gloves - I used to wear tight fitting summer gloves .. summer gloves with a little palm padding and more finger room helps
    [2] Bar end weights - reduce vibrations
    [3] Foam grips - don't look cool ... but help a lot.
    [4] Loosen your grip - learning to ride I had a death grip on the bars and straight arms .. learn to loosen slightly and use your "core" to help keep you upright rather than leaning on your hands/wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funnily enough, I’m about to do the same, having decided to err on the side of caution. I’m hoping to go and see this tomorrow, as it’s only a couple of miles away...
    Just out of interest, why don't you go straight from CBT to DAS and then you aren't restricted by what capacity you can buy?

Only ask because selling bikes isn't the easiest thing in the world; I found it okay to jump straight onto a 750.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Just out of interest, why don't you go straight from CBT to DAS and then you aren't restricted by what capacity you can buy?

Only ask because selling bikes isn't the easiest thing in the world; I found it okay to jump straight onto a 750.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I don’t really have an answer to that, as I seem to change my mind every other day. I don’t think I’d ever want to go bigger than a 500, so it would be quite doable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I don’t really have an answer to that, as I seem to change my mind every other day. I don’t think I’d ever want to go bigger than a 500, so it would be quite doable.
    Which is why I chose the Scrambler - it's 800 but not that powerful .. not too heavy, easy to handle, good torque, and sounds excellent.

What style of bike are you into to?

I knew I wanted some naked / retro rather than sports.

Which is why I chose the Scrambler - it's 800 but not that powerful .. not too heavy, easy to handle, good torque, and sounds excellent.

What style of bike are you into to?

I knew I wanted some naked / retro rather than sports.
    Ironically, when I was intending to go the DAS route I’d pretty much decided on the CB300R, which aside from being naked is the perfect size and capacity for me. It would still be by far the more sensible option, actually.

Craftsman
    Ducati make the Scrambler 62, same frame size as normal 800/1100 cc bike but with 400cc engine.

BTW - when it comes to comfort .... pins and needles in my hands used to be the limiting factor in how long I could ride for ...
    I can now ride all day without suffering at all .. spent 3 days riding from South to North Wales the other weekend.
    My tips:
    [1] Gloves - I used to wear tight fitting summer gloves .. summer gloves with a little palm padding and more finger room helps
    [2] Bar end weights - reduce vibrations
    [3] Foam grips - don't look cool ... but help a lot.
    [4] Loosen your grip - learning to ride I had a death grip on the bars and straight arms .. learn to loosen slightly and use your "core" to help keep you upright rather than leaning on your hands/wrists.
    You’re right about the gloves and grip:

Currently wearing some quite tight-fitting summer gloves and had thought about changing but the heat had put me off so far.

Am also aware that my grip on the throttle is much much tighter than my left hand is gripping and the fatigue starts there first. Is getting better the more I ride and the risers helped by brining the bars a little closer (also dropped the angle a little which brought them closer still).

3 days riding without fatigue seems a long way off still...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not sure tinkering always works though. The guys who did my Scrambler......

Have just turned this out......

A question of degree and taste, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    That’s not Bristol Motorrad is it?