timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the rain

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Met Office is saying 10% max...link.

I'm a bit confused by meteoradar (link), they swap from 0.5mm (64%), ie probability of precipitation at various levels, to 0mm (10%), ie probability of no precipitation, at random it seems.
    Yes its changing by the minute. My area was saying heavy rain 90% and now it's down to 60% light rain.

It's all wet outside!

Not very wet, just a very light shower.

No rain here.

Back garden looks like the Sahara!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    No rain here.

Back garden looks like the Sahara!

It's around...www.radareu.cz

that radar is wrong, it shows rain over me in SE19 and not a drop has fallen (yet) its not rained here for 52 days.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    that radar is wrong, it shows rain over me in SE19 and not a drop has fallen (yet) its not rained here for 52 days.
    The radar map seems to show what we are having here at the moment near Ludlow.
    RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It does show the rain as being a lot closer to Wimbledon than does the Met Office site...link.

I can only presume that they haven't managed to overlay the data correctly. So, best take it as an overview for Europe rather than a precise tool.

Blog Entries
    Here’s an odd one: being in Devon, I see large patches of land being brown and yellow. Since this is my first encounter with the Devon landscape, my mind is Convinced(!) that this Mediterrainian look is normal! I have a hard time to imagine that most yellow patches have to be green!

From the homefront in NL: forecast is that the heatwave will continue for at least 15 more days. And the 40 C forecast for later this week in the Eastern part of NL is getting more and realistic!

Apart from the yellow patches in Devon. Again guys, the scenery and views on the water are breathtaking as well! We went out in the RIB and the boys in the Lasers. They sailed up to the point beyond the Breakwater. That’s technically the Ocean! I have never, never sailed on a more beautiful piece of water like this. Perhaps the sun helped a lot, but I can not describe how beautiful it was

Blog Entries
    Some drops for 10 mins in South Devon around midnight. And now (8 am) as well
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st July 2018 at 07:51.

Master
    We had a proper downpour last night (near J5 of the M4). It must have carried on overnight as well as it is still wet in places this morning. I had been giving the lawn a light water just to stop it turning to straw, but after the rain it looks like I'll need to cut it for the first time in weeks.

The only upside to this drought is that I haven't had to cut the lawn for ages!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Blog Entries
    Kicking this thread upwards: weather forecasts show substantial rain for The Netherlands on Tuesday evening and on Thursday morning. Tuesday's rain can become spectacular because the thermometer is predicted to hit the high 30s, like two weeks back.

Last week, I was talking to a Dutch lady who's a Meteo professor at a US university - she'd done a research trip to Iceland with a few students and was now on a family visit here in Holland. She told me (and others) that Iceland has the worst summer ever recorded, with daily temps not rising above 9C!

Menno

We got their summer then. Annoying. The humidity today is hardly tolerable, at least for me, and it's still 26 in the living room. My fan is broken and there isn't one to be had in the shops.

Today I planted eight shrubs and it took forever, the ground was so hard I might have had an easier time digging through concrete. We badly need rain here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Today I planted eight shrubs and it took forever, the ground was so hard I might have had an easier time digging through concrete. We badly need rain here.

R

For the rest of my life, I will remember Devon as a place that looks like a Mediterranian country: green shrubs and trees joined together with endless patches of brown and yellow 'grass'. I know - and have been told - that it's not common, but that's how I've seen it!

Anyway, there are big warnings out for tonight, especially for the NW part of France, Belgium and the southern parts of The Netherlands. So will see what happens -

M
    Last edited by thieuster; 7th August 2018 at 07:05.

Please rain ☔️ I remember I hated it in 1976 in the end as well!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Had a spot of rain last evening for about ten minutes.

Forecast is rain for tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Tiny bit of rain in north norfolk last night - however I met a friend last week who had 2 cars written of by the hail recently, I’ve never seen anything like it, every panel had dozens of dents, windscreen cracked, even the window trims looked like someone had shot them with an air rifle. Apparently every car in his village parked outside is either written off or awaiting the decision from their insurance co!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Here - we - go.

Last week, a 'rogue weatherman' with a commercial weather bureau predicted very heavy storms for today. The big bureaus put this aside as: "He wants to lure in customers". Then, this appeared all on all computer screens... It's not often that the Met Office issues a code purple. But they have issued it for the northwestern part of the country. The other parts (like where I live, exactly in the middle of the pic - Apeldoorn) have a code red for excessive rainfall. Oops...

It looks as if we're in for some really nasty weather! Trees are dry as a bone. Beech trees in the park next to my house started losing complete branches with leaves after last Tuesday's light thunderstorm... I think I am going to take pics today "How it was before the storm..."

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th August 2018 at 07:58.

Stay safe. That also means away from those beech trees
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Here - we - go.

Last week, a 'rogue weatherman' with a commercial weather bureau predicted very heavy storms for today. The big bureaus put this aside as: "He wants to lure in customers". Then, this appeared all on all computer screens... It's not often that the Met Office issues a code purple. But they have issued it for the northwestern part of the country. The other parts (like where I live, exactly in the middle of the pic - Apeldoorn) have a code red for excessive rainfall. Oops...

It looks as if we're in for some really nasty weather! Trees are dry as a bone. Beech trees in the park next to my house started losing complete branches with leaves after last Tuesday's light thunderstorm... I think I am going to take pics today "How it was before the storm..."

Menno
    Hi... just to say this is a friendly post seeking some clarification rather than a disagreement.

When you say "It's not often that the Met Office issues a code purple", who do you mean, please? My link shows a yellow warning with some stormy weather moving up from the south (at the time of posting).

The UK MetOffice charts show a localised depression developing over NW Netherlands so high winds are to be expected and isn't that what your chart shows (ie wind speed)?

Rain will probably be associated with the depression and other sources show bands of heavy precipitation across the North Sea that will likely affect the north of the Netherlands, so I appreciate your concern.

What I'm always after is any reliable source for predicting precipitation. Wind is pretty well catered for as is temperature. Rain is a lot more sketchy in my experience.

It may be that you are only referring to high winds when you say "heavy storms for today" in which case it is my misunderstanding, but then you went on to say "other parts...have a code red for excessive rainfall". It's the latter that has me intrigued.

Thanks

Bob

PS As S-J says...stay safe.

Blog Entries
    Dutch version of this:

http://warnings.severe-weather-centr...ope-index.html

And here's the Twitter account of the guy who was a 'storyteller' last week when he warned for today's situation.

https://twitter.com/Weerprimeur?ref_...twgr%5Eprofile

And a map: with a violet rainfall forecast right over my head.

It's certainly started down here. Been raining all night and all day so far.

I'll probably have to start cutting the lawn again now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    It's certainly started down here. Been raining all night and all day so far.

I'll probably have to start cutting the lawn again now.
    Last time it did that was early/mid July... and no need to do it again. Yesterday I passed a house with green grass. Somehow, if felt like anti-social behaviour (of watering the lawn) by the owner! On Dutch radio an interview and the journalist asked how much water needs to fall out of the sky. At least 100 - 150 wet days before it's back to normal again!

There's no shortage of drinking water here; there's no reduction of the water pressure etc. We need to stay away from car washing, watering the garden and that sort of things.

It starts raining now. Big drops and no wind at all. Earlier this morning, my youngest went out with my FiL for a round of golf. I hope they've managed to reach the 19th hole in time...

Menno

Thanks for the info at #72, Menno.

I was aware of MeteoGroup, but unaware that they produced any non-commercial products. I've added their Severe Weather Centre to my reference list.

Thanks again,

Bob

Edit PS I see that KNMI have upgraded to 'Code oranje'...and it looks as though there's plenty of rain coming your way. As before...stay safe.
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th August 2018 at 14:12.

Blog Entries
    Fed up with this rain!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Fed up with this rain!

Ian

A persistant drizzle all day with spells of heavy rain here in Cambridgeshire, still pretty warm though, its quite refreshing.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I've just heard two claps of thunder here at home...but no traces of lightning on the tracking sites.

Blog Entries
    We had some showers with heavy rainfall since this afternoon. Funny, between showers, it heats up immediately! It's clouded at the moment; I had to turn on the light above the dinner table during dinner!

My wife is in Amsterdam and weather looks reasonable. If things start to go nuts, she'll stay at a friend's I'm sure.

M

I've just heard two claps of thunder here at home...but no traces of lightning on the tracking sites.
    This lot are...and here comes some heavy rain.

Blog Entries
    It missed our area. The north is hit hard. A local weather station in Friesland (the northernmost province) has measured gusts (above land) of 52 knots. Apart from the northern part of the Netherlands, it looks as if the upper part of Germany (Bremen, Hamburg, Kiel) and the southernmost part of Denmark got it all.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely tipping down here in South Derbyshire. couldn't drive more than 35mph on the dual carriageway.

It missed our area. The north is hit hard. A local weather station in Friesland (the northernmost province) has measured gusts (above land) of 52 knots. Apart from the northern part of the Netherlands, it looks as if the upper part of Germany (Bremen, Hamburg, Kiel) and the southernmost part of Denmark got it all.

M
    You may be lucky once more (map):

...and the storms will pass either side of Apeldoorn. See also link.

I'm on a thunder warning where I live and I was looking online for more info and saw the storms in NE France and Belgium tracking up into the Netherlands.
    Last edited by PickleB; 19th June 2019 at 17:53. Reason: added 'live' map link

You may be lucky once more (map):

...image...

...and the storms will pass either side of Apeldoorn. See also link.

I'm on a thunder warning where I live and I was looking online for more info and saw the storms in NE France and Belgium tracking up into the Netherlands.

Or not:

At the moment there's a large storm over northern France...link...that the Met Office forecast to be over the Channel by 01h00 and London by 04h00. Looks as though it could be one to watch.

Blog Entries
    Extremely hot over here. Official temp are around 32, the temp in the town was -obviously- even higher. Still, the all-time high temp here in The Netherlands, measured with proper meteo instruments, is from... 1944.

Extremely hot over here. Official temp are around 32, the temp in the town was -obviously- even higher. Still, the all-time high temp here in The Netherlands, measured with proper meteo instruments, is from... 1944.
    I glad to say that it'll take a week or more for any of us over here to catch up with those sort of temperatures:

A look at UK climate extremes shows that, in the main, you don't have to go back too far for our highest temperatures. Although there is a record for Northern Ireland in the 19th century and 1944 does get a few mentions in the hottest month records.

Meanwhile the storm seems to be reluctant to cross the Channel and is still over northern France. There are only a few strikes over the water but there is also other activity building to the west of the main storm. The latest Met Office forecast shows it being over London up to 07h00 and beyond.

Blog Entries
    It looks as if today it is going to be the hottest day here. The all-time-high record I mentioned was set in a small village, 20 kms from where I live. There's a 75 yrs 'celebration' this summer to memorise that day. 38.6C has never been beaten, although a village in the south nearly broke the record last year: 37.7C.

Tomorrow temps will stay in the low and mid 20C but no sign of rain. Come to think about it: looking at the Meteo Office video, it looks as if this week's UK weather is similar to ours last week!

Tuesday is the day that I work at a school. Normally, I have an airconditioned classroom on Tuesdays. But not today (typically... has to do with exams). Since it's the principal's b/day today, we - male staff- have decided to dress appropriately: wearing shorts. That will be the first time in 40 yrs of teaching!

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Expecting 45 degrees here this weekend. The first hot wave of the year has come early. Véry early and hhhót. Normal is just under 40 in a hot wave.
    A bit too much this time of year. We have the alarm set way early and a siesta is elementary to get enough sleep. At least the farm stays cool inside with a bit of sensible ventilation management.

No rain since first week of May. Apart from the odd thunderstorn no rain till end September.

Lightning strikes on the fields very close to my home caused the main house circuit breaker to blow yesterday. Unfortunately that has now killed my voip telephone module (power surge?).
    The crack of thunder was incredible, as was the noise of the rain.

Worse weather still to come by the looks of things.

Twelve degrees and windy here today. Forecast for the next ten days doesn't look much better. Summer eh :(

Master
    I love reading this sort of thing.

Right now at 9.57am it is sunny and already 28 degrees over here in Spain.

Apprentice
    Not the best summer thus far, even by our standards.

33 degrees in Luxembourg. Schools are closing tomorrow afternoon because of the heat, will have to take my daughter to the pool.

What a $#/? life.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    33 degrees in Luxembourg. Schools are closing tomorrow afternoon because of the heat, will have to take my daughter to the pool.

What a $#/? life.
    34C in my classroom this afternoon. Time for ice cream. On my way to school this morning, I did a quick detour: the supermarket and bought some ice cream, that I put it in the fridge of the school's cantine. It was this year's final lesson with those 15 youngsters. Next week they're off to the Ardennes for a hiking week and after that, it's over for this year.

Guys in the workshop had an even tougher life I think. I'm off to the shop for an evening 'spannering'. My TR needs a new MoT (Dutch version) and the rear brakes need some adjustment. Tomorrow we will open shop around 6:30 AM and close around 1 PM if it stays as hot as today. The guys in the shop did this last year as well and we were all happy with that!

Menno

Master
    34c in Berlin at 2043hrs. You can't keep cool anywhere outside. Looking forward to more ferocious heat tomorrow!

Yellow warnings for the South East posted but haven't seen a drop in North London. Not quite sure how that forecasting works .

Blog Entries
    Moderate temps for the next 7 - 10 days here: 20 - 25C and only some rain at the end of next week. Last night was very, very hot. The living room temp was still 26C around 7AM. Outside things are better now so I've opened all windows and French doors to cool down the house.

(My oldest is leaving for Athens for the European Championship under 19 Laser sailing. Once in Athens, he's stepping into a furnace, I'm afraid. The sailing instructions demand headgear (cap etc) and long-sleeved lycras to prevent sunburn).

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Yellow warnings for the South East posted but haven't seen a drop in North London. Not quite sure how that forecasting works .
    South Easterner here.

Went out today in shorts/polo and had to don a fleece!

No heatwave here so far.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website: