closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1st SOTC - Look away if you don't like divers!

1st SOTC - Look away if you don't like divers!

Well I've been a member of this fabulous forum four years today and I've never done a SOTC, for a couple of reasons really, one I've always felt I would be being self indulgent (yet i love looking at others SOTC) and two because I'm aware my collection lacks variety, however they all now mean something to me and the time feels right. Also its a watch forum, we like seeing watches right?

Before I continue my thanks to Andy T (Andy100) who i consider a friend and someone who has helped me along the way to today.

So here goes!

The Omega Seamaster

I use to own a 2254 which i know 90% of you will prefer to the bond version but i always wanted the bond version. I sold my 2254 when i bought a weekend toy as i couldn't justify both. I perhaps wasn't the WIS i consider myself to be today and 2254 held some memories best forgotten. This bond version was bought for me by my lovely wife and presented to me on the 40th along with a series of envelopes. A fabulous day ensued, trip to London, Bond museum in Covent Garden, award winning restaurant (well burger diner in Covent Garden) and a champagne trip on the London eye.

The CWC

Bought by me from the forum. Had one, sold it, missed it. Default at home watch, i always change from my daily watch to a watch with a Nato and this would be my first choice. Can't put my finger on my i like it so much but i do. Partly the heritage i think, Seiko and Citizen make great watches but there's a solid story behind a CWC diver. Team it with an Eddie Nato and who have a great watch.

The Pulsar chrono

Similar story to above really, had one, sold it, missed it. This and the ana-digital G shock are least worn watches but i cant seem to part with it. Bought off the forum with a cracked glass. Straight into the Birmingham jewellery quarter to a trusted jeweller for a glass replacement and here it is. Again i think these have some heritage in terms of being issued a while ago.

RWC ^^

Reissue of the Pulsar, i know, i know re-issue of a Pulsar! I get it but i like it. Worn without worry and its one of 1000. I have number 267 to reflect my daughter birthday on 26-07.....it will go to her eventually, if it makes it that far!

The G shocks

One bought by my Dad on his trip to Auz, Singapore, Dubai, nice memory of his trip and nice touch by him. Complete shock (get it!) to me. When i asked why he'd chosen a G shock Giez, his answer "a lot of the SAS / military books I've read recently feature guys wearing G shocks and this was the best one i could find". Good enough for military action then good enough for live action on a dingy in Cyprus eh!

The second ana digi a present from my wife, i like the backlight and nato ish strap.

The Breitling (bear with me)

So this is my favourite watch and the best watch in the world, its the third thing I'd grab in an emergency at home after my wife and daughter. What i hear you say, a quartz Breitling? Here's the rub. My Mum was terminally ill and towards the end she said that she wants to buy me a watch as although she has some stunning jewellery she doesn't has anything she can leave me. I refuse and explain that she doesn't need to do that as she's been the best and i don't need anything material. That night my Dad (not know for mincing his words) explains I've upset my Mum and I'd better re-think. His word were "you've not let your Mum down in 34 years, don't start today, if she wants to buy you a watch then make it happen, its not up to you how she spends her money". The next day i narrow my choices down to an Omega (can't remember which one) or this Breitling Colt. My Mum preferred the Breitling and the rest is history. It came on a bling highly polished bracelet and my tastes have changed but i do love it. My most important piece.

The Grail - Rolex Sea Dweller

So i always knew i wanted a Rolex. For years i thought it was the Sub. My Dad had a new at the time GMT II ceramic bezel. Yes i liked it but still i thought it was the sub for me. I knew going back to the Breitling story and my 40th that i wanted a Rolex but it needed to be bought by me, that i knew. In 2015/16 we had a major house extension, 55+ square metres. I sunk my life savings and every penny I had (and some i didn't) into it. My lovely wife knew this and said the minute we are straight i want you to buy a Rolex. I explained we had a 3 year old and other priorities. She was determined, i gave in! :)
    I tried some subs, GMT's, it wasn't working for me, don't meet your hero's. I tried a SD, my lord i think i found the one. Perhaps its the date bubble, perhaps its the sheer build quality. My mind was made up, a pre ceramic SD would be best. A WTB here and a mint 2010 is now mine. I love it. I really love it. Thanks to Baz1 for selling it and 100th Monkey (Kerri) for all his advice and guidance.

The Tag Aquaracer

Only bought a few weeks ago from the forum. I blame the wife. On our last holiday she said "i don't get you, all these nice watches and you don't wear a nice one on holidays, what are they for". She's right, but the Breitling and Omega have sentimental value and i don't want to smash the SD off the side of a pool playing with a 3 year old! In steps the Tag. I'd missed my old Tag 2000 chrono since selling it and in reality I must have been through 20+ sub £500 watches looking for the 'one'. It doesn't work. I love the Tag, i hate the phrase beater, and it isn't. It is however a great 'work no meetings, weekend and holiday' watch. I bought a rubber strap for it and I'm delighted with it.

So sorry if its self indulgent or waffley. It's both weird and cathartic sharing my story with in the main a bunch of strangers but there's my SOTC and watch story. Yep there's no dress watches, there's not much diversification but I'm happy.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to those mentioned along the way, in particular the wife and Andy100.

Thanks a lot
    Andy
    Last edited by Gullers; 18th June 2017 at 12:42.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share that post

I like all of those pieces, some more than others, but all of them are cracking watches with the added of bonus of some sentimental value.

Cheers!

Great collection and a nice story with the Colt. Thanks for sharing.

Superb post and a great collection.SeaDweller the highlight.The SMP a must.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Superb post and a great collection.SeaDweller the highlight.The SMP a must.
    Yep there's worst than the SD eh. I need to create some memories wearing it and get it out of the safe more. The SMP is my second favourite piece as my wife saved and paid every penny for it at time when she really didn't need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Great collection and a nice story with the Colt. Thanks for sharing.
    Your very welcome, that Colt is my number one piece. Pleased you liked my story.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share that post

I like all of those pieces, some more than others, but all of them are cracking watches with the added of bonus of some sentimental value.

Cheers!
    Thanks David, appreciate your kind comments and senerity.

I'm rarely moved to post on a SOTC, but love yours; a great collection with a story instead of a gathering of expensive trinkets.

Great post and a very nice collection.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Great post and I agree it's nice to have a real collection with a story.

Don't ever sell that Pulsar! I look at mine sometimes and think that the design is faultless.

Master
    Nowt wrong with that collection. Wondering if that Tag was my old watch from a few years ago, I remember really rather liking it.

Great read and a lovely collection a man after my own heart not a watch there I would not happily own and wear. Great collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great collection

I love divers so the thread title means I click instantly :-) Lovely collection, the 16600 is a watch I would love to own one day and probably my favorite watch out of the collection, though a close second is the SMP, it's a classic and now I own one I am slightly biased

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Great post and I agree it's nice to have a real collection with a story.

Thanks, its taken a few years to get here!

Don't ever sell that Pulsar! I look at mine sometimes and think that the design is faultless.
    I agree, I have the RWC (cheap Pulsar copy!) on as i type! I've thought about selling the Pulsar a couple of times but remembered my previous regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Great post and a very nice collection.
    Thanks i appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm rarely moved to post on a SOTC, but love yours; a great collection with a story instead of a gathering of expensive trinkets.
    Thank you. I appreciate it. Expensive trinkets aren't my thing. Until a couple of years ago i hardly wore the Breitling, although it was my wedding watch (2014). However someone wiser than me (a lady) said to me that the memories of anything are the most important thing so i should create some memories with the Breitling and then (god forbid) if something did happen to it then at least i had the memories of why i have it and the joy its brought. The terrible events in both Manchester and London make you realise how lucky we are and also people and memories (not things) are the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I love divers so the thread title means I click instantly :-) Lovely collection, the 16600 is a watch I would love to own one day and probably my favorite watch out of the collection, though a close second is the SMP, it's a classic and now I own one I am slightly biased
    Thank you, too kind! Come on the Breitling has to be your favourite! Only joking, I'd love to say the SD 16600 is hype, it isn't, its fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Great collection
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Great read and a lovely collection a man after my own heart not a watch there I would not happily own and wear. Great collection!

Thanks re my post. Wow you like them all, we are aligned :) thank you, I appreciate your kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Nowt wrong with that collection. Wondering if that Tag was my old watch from a few years ago, I remember really rather liking it.
    The Tag was bought from Oblivion who owned it from new, lovely guy to deal with. Perhaps you had the same day date Aquaracer. It's way better in the flesh than in the pics, my most worn piece of the last few weeks :)

Master
    Duplicate post.
    Last edited by gc52; 17th June 2017 at 23:01.

Master
    Some great watches and great memories. To me, this is what watches are all about in that they have such important associations. Thanks for sharing.

Great collection on two levels: great watches and great reasons for owning them.

Craftsman
    Great collection and great stories behind all the watches. Wear in good health.

Love them all

Wasn't the Meat Market in Covent Garden was it?

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great collection and good to read the narrative around each one. Thanks for posting

Simon

Great collection and stories behind each watch.
    The Sea Dweller is top drawer.

Craftsman
    Fanstastic SOTC and really nice read. Many thanks

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for taking the time to post.

Master
    Thank you for such an interesting read. Great collection, heart warming stories. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    Fanstastic SOTC and really nice read. Many thanks

Thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Great collection and stories behind each watch.
    The Sea Dweller is top drawer.
    Appreciate that thanks, it only took me 42 years to get a Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Great collection and good to read the narrative around each one. Thanks for posting

Simon

Thanks Simon, humbled by the nice replies, just through it's nice to read about how get our collections to where they are sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Love them all

Wasn't the Meat Market in Covent Garden was it?

Mozza

Hi Mozza, it was simply called the Diner, great burgers and decent American ale. Me all over, keep it simple! And we had our 1 year old (at the time) with us!

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Great collection and great stories behind all the watches. Wear in good health.
    Thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Great collection on two levels: great watches and great reasons for owning them.
    Again thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Some great watches and great memories. To me, this is what watches are all about in that they have such important associations. Thanks for sharing.
    I agree the memories help make them for me, I've bought more than my fair share over the internet etc but these mean more to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Duplicate post.

Master
    The breitling isn't to my taste, but the touching story behind it, somehow makes it seem better than it is. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Thank you for such an interesting read. Great collection, heart warming stories. Well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I enjoyed reading that, thanks for taking the time to post.
    Thanks guys I really do appreciate the kind comments. I enjoyed sharing my story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post

Before I continue my thanks to Andy T (Andy100) who i consider a friend and someone who has helped me along the way to today.
    Awww thanks buddy! Same to you. A great read expanding on some of what I already knew about the memories and sentimentality behind your collection and some lovely pics too! Having seen you go through your fair share of pieces (as have I as you well know!), glad to see you're settling down with them now ;)

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Awww thanks buddy! Same to you. A great read expanding on some of what I already knew about the memories and sentimentality behind your collection and some lovely pics too! Having seen you go through your fair share of pieces (as have I as you well know!), glad to see you're settling down with them now ;)

Andy
    Ha ha cheers matey. You've helped me shape the collection and kept me sane a few times!

Sorry the pics might dissappear for an hour, bear with me. Photobucket problems!
    Sorry back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Sorry the pics might dissappear for an hour, bear with me. Photobucket problems!
    I was about to ask where the pictures are...

Craftsman
    Very nice collection indeed, thanks for taking the time to post. Lovely to read your reasons for why you chose them.

A collection of dive watches without a Seiko? That's unpossible!

The Sea-Dweller and Breitling are great, though, and I imagine you'll never part with the latter.

Craftsman
    Someone mention divers?

I always like reading other members SOTC's, it's always interesting to hear stories behind certain watches :)

Great collection and thanks for posting.

Journeyman
    That collection isn't very.... DIVERSe!!!

sorry.

Nice stories for all. I have that same Giez(!).

Nice SOTC.

Very nice collection and a well told story.

Mitch

Master
    Really interesting story on each of your pieces! Thank you for sharing!! I love the breitling!

Great post. Congrats on a superb collection.

I loved the SD when I had one

Great post, its rare enough these days people make this level of effort in a post so thank you, 5 star rated.

What does SOTC stand for. Googling was no help.

Nice dovers and a great story 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    State Of The Collection...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    What did you google?
    This is what I got on googling SOTC watches

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    The breitling isn't to my taste, but the touching story behind it, somehow makes it seem better than it is. Thanks for sharing

Thank you kind words about the Breitling and thread, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Very nice collection indeed, thanks for taking the time to post. Lovely to read your reasons for why you chose them.
    Thanks appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    A collection of dive watches without a Seiko? That's unpossible!

The Sea-Dweller and Breitling are great, though, and I imagine you'll never part with the latter.
    Ha, ha I've tired an SKZ007, Sea Urchin and turtle! I wouldn't rule out an MM300 thought :)

Thanks re the SD and Breitling, I love both.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Someone mention divers?

I always like reading other members SOTC's, it's always interesting to hear stories behind certain watches :)

Thank you, appreciate your interest in my watch story.

Great collection and thanks for posting.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    That collection isn't very.... DIVERSe!!!

I'm ashamed to say I didn't that for a while and then my wife got it before me!

sorry.

Nice stories for all. I have that same Giez(!).
    Love the Giez although it's a pain to set!

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post
    Nice SOTC.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Very nice collection and a well told story.

Mitch
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Really interesting story on each of your pieces! Thank you for sharing!! I love the breitling!

Thanks I love the Breitling too!

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Great post. Congrats on a superb collection.

I loved the SD when I had one
    Yep the SD is the best quality watch I have

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Great post, its rare enough these days people make this level of effort in a post so thank you, 5 star rated.
    Thank you it's really kind of you, only took me 4 years eh!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nice dovers and a great story 
    Thanks Raj that's means a lot, particularly bearing in mind your collection.