closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dad's old watch - Omega Constellation Megaquartz 2.4 Mhz yellow gold

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    An interesting side note is thet yours would appear to be one of the very early ones that went to besancon for certification prior to Omwga changing their mind and only having the marine chronometer certified.

I can find no evidence off the coding but 0090 is the lowest one I've ever seen.

Although it has some knocks and nick if you do send it for service my advise is ask tony to very lightly hand refinish it NOT machine.

If you are sending it for service take a very deep breath! The service on these is now £750 plus VAT (not sure if you could claim the vat back) if it needs a circuit or motor (the two core components) they are £450 a piece!

The weight of the watch is 92-96 grams for the head (I've weighed six so far and that the range I get) and between 95 and 110 grams for the bracelet dependant on the number of links.

Omega still make the calf leather bands for these as modern service replacements, they are extremely good value, they are less than £100.
    Thank you for the additional information.

Didn't think that the service would be that expensive!
    But also understandable as Omega doesn't provide the service anymore.

I was actually thinking that would it be better just to leave all the knocks and nicks untouched. After all they were made by my dad...
    Need to give it some thought and decide before getting it serviced.

The leather band might be a good idea. Then it wouldn't be as in-your-face. On the other hand I might want to wear it the same way as my dad did.

Here are the papers that I came with the watch.
    There's the original receipt, the guarantee with the sellers, buyers and watches information, and the watches chronometer certificate with the movement number.
    It also came with the original price hang tag with the price of 29000 Finnish Marks!

Nice, is there any specific info about the watch on the Chronometer Certificate ? Movement number, case number (0090 ?) accuracy, etc... ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Nice, is there any specific info about the watch on the Chronometer Certificate ? Movement number, case number (0090 ?) accuracy, etc... ?
    Yes there is the reference and movement number.
    Same as in the guarantee.

Here is mine on leather.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Here is mine on leather.
    Like the look of that. More elegant look.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Really sorry for your loss EL. What a spectacular watch. I love the stardust dials. Leave the wear marks though! They're your dad's history

Craftsman
    Firstly, sorry to hear about your loss EJL. I love threads like this though as they remind me of why I love watches, from my fathers love of watches. My dad never had any expensive watches, but I have one of his dress watches, and my son has one of his old Seiko daily wears; every time you put it on, it brings fond memories, and money can't buy that. Sounds like a wee trip to London is needed EJL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Here is what someone is asking for one.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Megaqu...ATCHING_ACTIVE
    I wouldn't pay that!
    That doesn't look too realistic.

OK, this may well be a stupid question; if the OP has never seen it running, why does it need a service and not just a fresh battery? Is there a recommended service interval for this movement?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    OK, this may well be a stupid question; if the OP has never seen it running, why does it need a service and not just a fresh battery? Is there a recommended service interval for this movement?
    Interesting to hear answer to this.
    I just thought that if it's been unused for 35 years that it should be serviced?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I just thought that if it's been unused for 35 years that it should be serviced?
    That may depend upon whether or not your father took the old battery out before putting it away. Hopefully he did...

If it is running well and not eating its batteries in no time at all I wouldn't service it. There is so little torque at work in a quartz movement wear is minimal.

Just change the battery and see how it goes.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    If it is running well and not eating its batteries in no time at all I wouldn't service it. There is so little torque at work in a quartz movement wear is minimal.

Just change the battery and see how it goes.

Mitch
    OP's post #1: "I think that the watch has been in safety deposit box longer than I have been alive!" OP's post at #61; "it's been unused for 35 years".

So no...it's not running.

OP's post #1: "I think that the watch has been in safety deposit box longer than I have been alive!" OP's post at #61; "it's been unused for 35 years".

So no...it's not running.
    Well he won't know that until he puts a battery in. He should put one in and see how it works. if it runs well and does not eat the battery in much less than the expected time I can't see what is to be gained by a service except a big bill. If he wanted it refurbished it might make more sense but apparently he doesn't.

Mitch

Well he won't know that until he puts a battery in. He should put one in and see how it works. if it runs well and does not eat the battery in much less than the expected time I can't see what is to be gained by a service except a big bill. If he wanted it refurbished it might make more sense but apparently he doesn't.

Mitch
    OK...

Master

Dad's old watch - Omega Constellation Megaquartz 2.4 Mhz yellow gold

I just opened the watch!
    Just wanted to check if there's battery inside.
    And there was a battery there...
    Luckily the battery seems to be fine. No damage or anything.

I did notice that the seal is some sort of tar-like substance. Should it be like that or has the 35+ years done something to the seals?

Yes, the seal going like that is common on very old Omega gaskets. Good news about the battery being intact.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I just opened the watch!
    Just wanted to check if there's battery inside.
    And there was a battery there...
    Luckily the battery seems to be fine. No damage or anything.

I did notice that the seal is some sort of tar-like substance. Should it be like that or has the 35+ years done something to the seals?

g[/IMG]
    I think it is likely that the original gasket has just gone gooey, it is a known issue on some vintage watches. It is good that the battery has not leaked or that would have likely killed the movement.

Mitch

Don't scrub the gasket now, just take a toothpick and try to gather it going horizontally on it, placing the toothpick flat and to try to shave it off. There is no other way to clean it off, unless using chemicals. But best to clean the caseback, very carefully to clean the inside edge on the case and put everything back. Movement might be fine the sticky gasket for sure won't do any good if it goes around the gears.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Yes, the seal going like that is common on very old Omega gaskets. Good news about the battery being intact.
    Thank you for the quick reply!
    Never seen anything like that before.

Master
    I think it is likely that the original gasket has just gone gooey, it is a known issue on some vintage watches. It is good that the battery has not leaked or that would have likely killed the movement.

Mitch
    New movement might have been pretty expensive!
    So in ideal situation all I need is a new gasket and a battery?

According to Ranfft (link) the battery was #354. You won't get one of those but, according to this page, link, there are modern equivalents.

I'd PM dickstar1977 or another owner to find out which one is best to use. And for some advice on how best to preserve the gasket.

Master
    According to Ranfft (link) the battery was #354. You won't get one of those but, according to this page, link, there are modern equivalents.

I'd PM dickstar1977 or another owner to find out which one is best to use. And for some advice on how best to preserve the gasket.
    Thank you. I'll send a PM to him and ask.

Thank you. I'll send a PM to him and ask.
    Following the link for the #354 equivalent on the battery site, brings up:

301/386 (SR43SW)

Mercury cells of the same dimension as this 301/386 or SR43SW are no longer manufactured because of their toxicity and environmental unfriendliness. Although the electrical properties are slightly different, if your requirement is to replace an MR43 or 354, you have little option but to try a 301/386 or SR43SWin its place For more information, find out about mercury replacement batteries.

I'm sure others will be along with some advice shortly...

New movement might have been pretty expensive!
    So in ideal situation all I need is a new gasket and a battery?
    That's what I would do and then check the running, there is no reason to believe that anything will be other than good. No idea if it easy to source a gasket though, the battery will be no problem.

Mitch

Master
    Here's the battery.

Perhaps its worth a call to STS to see if they can supply the gasket.

Master
    Here is mine

So.......... battery: 386

Seal: there is a magic trick with these seals, I don't know if they sell there where you are hit baking soda wipes by duzzit removes liquified seals instantly and without mess! Believe you me I told the head of service at omega and guess what they use now!!!!

Movement looks clean and acid free so fingers crossed she fires right up with a new battery

DO NOT let that liquified rubber get on the movement

Ive got 386 batteries running in my 8 Megaquartz F2.4Mhz's
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 17th June 2017 at 22:57.

Craftsman
    Condolences on your loss. Love the dial on this watch and the red date wheel really makes the whole thing pop.

The 343 and 354 were Mercuric Oxide cells giving out 1.35 V. Their diameters were both 11.6 mm.

The 354 was thicker at 4.2 mm and its 1.55 V Silver Oxide equivalent is the 301 or 386 ...as recommended at post #79.

The 343 was 3.6 mm thick and its 1.55 V Silver Oxide equivalent is the 344.

It's a beauty - never sell

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Probably the coolest watch I've seen. Absolutely stunning.

The 343 and 354 were Mercuric Oxide cells giving out 1.35 V. Their diameters were both 11.6 mm.

The 354 was thicker at 4.2 mm and its 1.55 V Silver Oxide equivalent is the 301 or 386 ...as recommended at post #79.

The 343 was 3.6 mm thick and its 1.55 V Silver Oxide equivalent is the 344.
    Agreed use a 344, its the modern equivalent.
    The watch will run fine on a SO battery and should need no adjustment to do so.
    If you do decide to remove the old seal, please be very careful not to let even a tiny amount into the movement.
    Just one little peice of debris in the very delicate motor could be catastrophic.

I did used to service these, but as others have mentioned, spares are hard to find ( Tony probably has snaffled them all ) and are very expensive if you are lucky enough to find them...making it just not viable anymore...

oh....and to echo everyone else...very nice indeed.

First of all sorry to hear about you father passing

Secondly what a watch, absolutely stunning, clearly a man with great taste. I hope you wear it regularly and feel closer to him because of it.

I've had a couple of MQ and IMO much more comfortable on a leather strap, plus it tones the watch down perfectly, highlighting that dial.

Master
    I am sorry for your loss. As for the watch, what you have there is my dream watch.

The marks are part of its history in my view but it would be lovely to see it up and running of course.

Master
    And here’s an update!
    The watch has now been serviced by STS and I’m over the moon right now.
    And in all honesty as I was having a beer and admiring the watch gleaming in the sun I got a little teary-eyed. To me this is so much more than just another watch. It’s the same watch that was on my dads wrist 40 years ago.

I want to thank Kash for helping me with the logistics of the service. I just couldn’t send the watch with a courier service as any amount of money couldn’t compensate the lost of the watch.
    Kash helped me to get the watch to STS and now back to my wrist and I couldn’t be more grateful for his help.
    Also the STS were wonderful and can recommend them wholeheartedly.

And here’s the photo of a watch that almost made a grown man cry in public.

Master
    Great job and lovely watch...... wear and enjoy

Truly special watch in all aspects, well done and enjoy the memories.

Master
    Absolutely stunning watch and I’m very happy for you that it’s working as it should be.

Enjoy it!

Beautiful piece. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro