closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Changing the battery on a Sea-Touch

Changing the battery on a Sea-Touch

I'm off on holiday next week, which will include a bit of freediving, possibly a shallow scuba (no more than 15m) so as such, I wanted to take my Tissot Sea-Touch. It's a hefty bugger, and bright orange, so I don't wear it much other than for diving, and as such I've just discovered the battery has run out.

The last battery I had was replaced and pressure tested by an in-house watch repair chap (Rolex trained, so fairly decent standard) in the Cayman Islands, which took about 30 mins, but this time I'm off to the Isle of Wight so need to get it fixed locally to me in Southampton. I've tried two different Tissot ADs, both said they'd have to send it back to Tissot. I found out where the Tissot repair centre is - happily, here in Southampton. Sadly they say it will take 3 weeks to replace, at a cost of £70.

A watch repair kiosk in West Quay said they'd "try" for £95, while I waited, but they couldn't guarantee water resistance.

tl;dr - has anyone replaced their own battery in a Sea-Touch, if so how (it looks complicated), and do you think it would remain watertight if I did so?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    DIY

dont disturb the gasket, don't remove the gasket, when you have replaced the battery just wipe a tiny tiny amount of silicone GREASE onto the surface of the gasket and replace the caseback, should be fine.

i have done numerous changes on diving watches and none have leaked..............so far.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    DIY

dont disturb the gasket, don't remove the gasket, when you have replaced the battery just wipe a tiny tiny amount of silicone GREASE onto the surface of the gasket and replace the caseback, should be fine.

i have done numerous changes on diving watches and none have leaked..............so far.

Mike
    As Mike says, just take your time, don't cross thread the case back you'll be fine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's a decent little watch shop on Cowes. Might be worth phoning ahead to see if they could do it? I forget their name but they're a Rolex AD so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Well, I decided to go for it myself.

Had to sharpen my screwdriver to get into the caseback screws

Screws out

Inside the back, this module lifts out

With the module out

New battery ready to go in

All back together. Tiny smear of red rubber grease (which I have for my mountain bikes) on the gasket lip. What's that spanner icon though?

Luckily, there's a handy YouTube video that shows how to reset it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVR3B_gLdQ

All done

Master
    Well done - changed my Aqualand a couple of weeks ago- swam in the sea after - fine
    That's a nice looking peice

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well done - changed my Aqualand a couple of weeks ago- swam in the sea after - fine
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    That's a nice looking peice
    Thanks, I was on holiday in the Cayman Islands when I bought it. Had intended to get a Longines Hydroconquest, but I went to a open evening at the jeweller's my friend worked at (who didn't sell Longines), they plied me with Champagne and I walked out with this and a Hamilton Jazzmaster. Love them both, but I did eventually get a Hydroconquest as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    God job. I used to have the white version of this watch and forgot how great it is.

Battery on this needs doing again. I was googling for a video on how to do it as I'd forgotten since 4 years ago...and I've found my own tutorial!

Watch is now 9 years old though. Time for a new set of gaskets?