closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deployment/Deployant

Master

Deployment/Deployant

I keep seeing one or the other in descriptions and wonder whether they are the same difference?

Deployment is what troops go on.

Deployant is a watch clasp that joins two ends of the strap.

Has Google crashed again?

People new and not so new to our hobby make this mistake a lot.
    Use of the word deployment marks you out as a no-nothing newbie or worse.
    Troops get deployed, it's nothing what so ever to do with watch straps.
    You may find the problem is due to auto correct on your phone, pc or tablet. My advice is to add the correct word to your personal dictionary.
    Hope that helps.

I'd recommend adding the expression 'know-nothing' and the word 'whatsoever' to your personal dictionary.

From the French, déployer: to spread out, to unfold

You do see deployment used on the websites of some quite well respected watch strap retailers so it is little wonder that there is some confusion.

And to be fair they come from the same etymological root. If enough people use 'deployment' for watch straps it will end up in the OED.

I don't think it's worth worrying about unless you're a complete and utter watch bore as everyone knows what you mean when you say "deployment". A lot of the Swiss companies seem to use "deployant" but the UK based companies such as Bremont and CW use "deployment".

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I don't think it's worth worrying about unless you're a complete and utter watch bore as everyone knows what you mean when you say "deployment". A lot of the Swiss companies seem to use "deployant" but the UK based companies such as Bremont and CW use "deployment".
    Exactly

The terms are interchangeable within the watch industry - but some consider one correct
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    deployment

noun

• the movement of troops or equipment to a place or position for military action.

The other is a watch thing

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I keep seeing one or the other in descriptions and wonder whether they are the same difference?
    The same, but there are different types, eg butterfly and tri-fold.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    deployment

noun

• the movement of troops or equipment to a place or position for military action.

The other is a watch thing

...and derived from an old French word 'desploier' meaning 'to unfold'. So essentially the same word and often used interchangeably as stated previously.

If everyone understands what it means, what difference does it make?

Craftsman
    Like others have said I've sent spelt both ways
    What ever way it's spelt I know what there talking about

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    ...and derived from an old French word 'desploier' meaning 'to unfold'. So essentially the same word and often used interchangeably as stated previously.

Thankfully I am not French
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

It is derived from same word but to mean different things. This is an old argument but show me a single dictionary which
    Gives the meaning of deployment as an a clasp for watch strap. They are related but different words and not to be used interchangeably unless one's motive is to grate.
    Their are several inelegant usages that can convey the meaning but are not correct.

It's pretty pointless using the dictionary argument against "deployment" when "deployant" isn't in there at all. It's not even in the French dictionary...

Craftsman
    I have to say I'm not quite sure why this annoys me so much, but it does haha. Watch geek-ism at it's best.

It's pretty pointless using the dictionary argument against "deployment" when "deployant" isn't in there at all. It's not even in the French dictionary...
    Anybody with time on hands can rectify this by going to : http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/...te-to-the-oed/

Exactly, and why would we use the French anyway?

So is 'chimley' and 'fanks' ready for the OED too then?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is derived from same word but to mean different things. This is an old argument but show me a single dictionary which
    Gives the meaning of deployment as an a clasp for watch strap. They are related but different words and not to be used interchangeably unless one's motive is to grate.
    Their are several inelegant usages that can convey the meaning but are not correct.
    Fair enough, they are 'related but different'. It seems to me the meanings are converging through use, even if some see that use as incorrect. Deployment relating to watch straps is an unusual but not IMHO incorrect use of an English word that has a current definition that includes 'bringing resources into use'. It's not like 'should of' etc, which really does grate to me. I think it's harsh to pick up on people who are applying a real word, with its correct meaning, just an unusual usage. Personally I do find 'deployant' a more pleasing word to say.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Thankfully I am not French
    You do speak a language that has a lot of French-derived words in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    So is 'chimley' and 'fanks' ready for the OED too then?
    Chimley is in the OED as a dialect form of 'chimney'. Any word, or use of an existing word, will make it into the Dictionary over time if there is reasonably widespread use that can be documented, as Raj has pointed out with that link. 'Lol' has been in for a long time, which will grate with many. The Dictionary records usage, it does not prescribe it.

Apologies for the lengthy multi-quote, which I know also grates with some. I can be quite a bore with this stuff, mainly because it fascinates me, probably a lot more than it should. I did work at the Oxford University Press for a few years and sat not far from the Dictionaries team - quite a fascinating group and an incredible history. They certainly conveyed to me the idea that language is a living thing, not something to be documented once and then defended against change.

Sneering at people who make this mistake allows those whose own English is scarcely better than fluent demotic to feel good about themselves

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The use of the word "deployment" doesn't grate with me. The misuse of the word "their" on the other hand ... :-)

Master
    So, no one really knows after all
    Still, a good thread for the sneermongers to get their teeth into.
    Only joking.
    Have a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    So, no one really knows after all
    Still, a good thread for the sneermongers to get their teeth into.
    Only joking.
    Have a good weekend
    We do know. It's deployant.

Its whether or not it's worth yet another thread about it that's the question here.

But you weren't to know that.

It's funny when people say it's not Deployment because of the troop thing, as if you can't use the word in any other context. Of course you can. And you can probably see how a clasp on a watch can 'deploy' the strap through the buckle before clamping it down, probably hence the name, in French, and the transference of it to English.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Deployment is what troops go on.

Deployant is a watch clasp that joins two ends of the strap.
    Exactly this ^^^

Deployment also defined as:

"The action of bringing resources into effective action"

Not too much of a stretch to imagine this could be used to romanticise the joining of two ends of a strap by way of a fancy clasp.

No need for people to get uppity about it. It's FAR more annoying when people say 'Sat' instead of 'Sitting'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    The use of the word "deployment" doesn't grate with me. The misuse of the word "their" on the other hand ... :-)
    😀 Touché

Master
    Predictive text and autocorrect can be a cruel mistress....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

Or should that be mistresses?? 😉😉

There's a thread that I recall...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    OK, boucle déployante is certainly the French term. And we've phonetically anglicised (or barstardised?) it as deloyant.

But, I presume that déployante comes from the French verb déployer, which translates as to deploy, one of the meaning of which is to spread (as in wings) or unfurl (as in sails). So if déployante can be translated as spreading, un-folding, deploying then I can see how one might arrive at deployment. Agreed that is, properly, a noun and we're using it as an adjective, but that's how language develops.

My conclusions: folding says it best; the debate will continue about deployant and demployment as the former is, slightly mangled, half of the French term, while the latter is an English word that attempts a translation.
    Then there's the French noun dépliement from their verb déplier meaning to unfold.

I have to agree that deployment has a military origin (via Old French from Latin), but this is one OED definition
    of deploy, v.:

2. Mil. a. trans. To spread out (troops) so as to form a more extended line of small depth.

Given that our term for a folding buckle derives from the French term but isn't perfect as a translation or a direct copy, I can see a case for both spellings.
    ...and another later on:

I wonder when the "movement" vs "ébauche" debate will begin?
    Not sure if it'll be before or after the calibre v caliber discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

True but I don't want to hide behind those excuses.
    Their/there is one of my pet peeves as well. It was a mistake and it was lazy.

On the topic of the post, it would be smart to notice and acknowledge that people who usually use deployment are usually newbies or non-WIS. That should settle the argument. If some still want to continue defending use of 'deployment', feel free to go on.

Gosh, seems like much ado about nothing really, as pointed out already language is constantly evolving, both words work for me.

Hodinkee lectures us on the error of using the term 'deployment' - hence it is probably a good idea to do so! Personally, I use deployants but don't care if others use deployments.

Master
    Now I like the word deployant but I also like the word deployment. But which is better? There's only one way to find out....
    Fi..... No, start a thread on here.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'd recommend adding the expression 'know-nothing' and the word 'whatsoever' to your personal dictionary.
    Hard but fair. My bad.

I use deployant, but I don't mind when people use deployment. It's never caused me any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Has Google crashed again?
    Can it be relied on?
    Gives out shed loads of misinformation !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app