closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Sinn?

Journeyman

Should I buy a Sinn?

I've never really looked into Sinn watches before but I recently came across the new Sinn 1736 and I'm really liking the look of it.

Are they a quality brand and worth the money?

If anyone has experience with Sinn please let me know!

Oh - and this is the watch I'm looking to get: https://www.horologii.com/general/si...-watch-review/

Master
    I've had many a Sinn and the quality is there without a doubt.

Never had one of their less toolish watches though so cant comment specifically on the watch you have linked to.

I have owned many and still have a nice limited edition blue 103
    They are, of course better known for their their tool watches
    I suspect that the one you like may not retain its value as well as some, so if that's important. Think carefully would be my humbly offered advice

I have two (104 St Sa and 757UTC) and have had two (556i and U1). None of these are remotely like the one in the OP but I like that one too. They are very definitely a 'quality' brand. Only you can decide if it's worth the money...

They seem to be well loved by watch people and are look good value for money, their tool like watches seem more popular than the dressier ones on forums though. I am not sure what their depreciation will be like, but then only really Rolex sports models seem like sure fire bets from that perspective. They don't seem to get discounted new, which is a good sign that the retail price is realistic and helps resale value a little.
    I personally prefer the sports/tool watches myself from them and they are very high on my list to consider for my next watch, they are very 'pure' and true to their function, unlike many modern sports watches which have moved more into bling than function (understandably too as if you need a tool watch a modern digital computer, think dive computer, or digital stopwatch is a more accurate and reliable instrument)

Craftsman
    Got a U1. Love it. Love the watch you linked to as well. If you're gonna sell it or think you might flip it factor that into your purchase, but mine's been rock solid and I'd definitely buy from Sinn again. I like their Firefighter colourful one....

Master
    I have 3: a minimalistic 556, a tooly 104 and a sporty 103 chrono.

Love them all.

The one you've linked to looks stunning and elegant. Not a typical Sinn in style.

Journeyman
    The dial looks gorgeous on that 1736. 36mm is a respectable size for a dress watch, but may feel small depending on what you're used to?

For a lot less cash you could have one of these instead, which manages to retain some of the tool-ish feel of Sinn, while still looking smart. 38.5mm too.

As long as you like it.

For me, I like to buy watches that remind me of the brand itself - that Sinn doesn't stand out as representative of the brand to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Indeed. Buy the one you like. The quality is there. I had the pleasure of seeing most models at Basel and ended up buying the one two posts above. Not based on this pic. It stunning in real life. Dial, markers and hands play with the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Sinn and currently have 3 (U1T, 556i and 903.ST.GL). Tremendous value sports watches. As said, they are not known for their dressy pieces, even though they do actually make quite a few dressy lines. I really like the one you linked too though. Very nice and clearly chasing the Bauhaus inspired niche opened up by Nomos. If you want a German minimalist dress watch though, you should also consider Nomos.

Master
    Good solid precision German engineering and design. Nothing more to say really.

Is it original?

Craftsman
    I've always thought Sinn look a bit too plain (though possibly why people like them?). That said, there's something about them that's really growing on me and even the odd looking bracelets!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've previously owned a Sinn and their quality is very much up there. However, for German-dressy, have you considered Nomos? I find them more unique and superior in terms of quality, certainly in a similar price range

I don't know. Should you?

Master
    I've had two 857 UTCs, a 756, a 656 and a 556. I also had a UX too. All absolutely outstanding. An 857 was my first 'proper' watch which started this illness hobby for me ten years ago.

I have 5 Sinn and can't understand why you don't have one already :)

Craftsman
    Got to say that that one isn't for me but I have two Sinns, a U1 and an Arktis, plus a Guinand. Very happy with the brand and had several services over the years.

Dave

Master
    Great watches! Should have kept my 103...

Craftsman

Should I buy a Sinn? I did!

After selling my MM300 I had chunky diver withdrawal syndrome. I had an itch to try a Sinn and the U1 ticked the box, although I wasn't too keen on the hands from pictures I had seen. I decided to bite the bullet and put up a WTB. Frankie169 was kind enough to contact me and I met up with him for a coffee and a peek at the watch. Well, I was really impressed with the U1, it is definitely one to see in the flesh, it looks so much better when you have it in the hand. I parted with said watch on my wrist!

I had a bit of a play around with strap last night and settled on the Isofrane for the time being. Thanks Paul for letting your U1 go, a few snaps of the options below:

IMO the ISOfrane wins hands down and suits the watch very well - but then my aversion to nylon is well-documented...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    After selling my MM300 I had chunky diver withdrawal syndrome. I had an itch to try a Sinn and the U1 ticked the box, although I wasn't too keen on the hands from pictures I had seen. I decided to bite the bullet and put up a WTB. Frankie169 was kind enough to contact me and I met up with him for a coffee and a peek at the watch. Well, I was really impressed with the U1, it is definitely one to see in the flesh, it looks so much better when you have it in the hand. I parted with said watch on my wrist!

I had a bit of a play around with strap last night and settled on the Isofrane for the time being. Thanks Paul for letting your U1 go, a few snaps of the options below:

Electron, good choice, congrats. I have 2 MM's and I think I will never let them go. But hey, that's personal. Now for Sinn, real Teutonic quality. I don't own a Sinn Diver yet but i have a Sinn 903 PL from made in the 80ties from Breitling stock. Only 500 of them were made and they're quite collectible now. Have a nice day .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've looked at Sinn a few times, but I think I'll buy a Nomos next.

I've a couple - A 203 Arktis and a EZM7S 'firefighter' (like the one posted earlier, but mine's on a bracelet) - and they're great watches.

One of the thing I like about Sinn is the huge range of watches they offer - From ones like the OP posted (Can't say it's my cup of tea from the photo, but their over-photoshopped images never do their watches justice IMO, so who knows?), through things like the Navitimer style watches and the 103/203 to modern designs like the U1.

If you can't find something you like in their range, your tastes must be very specific!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by titusdelossantos View Post
    I don't own a Sinn Diver yet but i have a Sinn 903 PL from made in the 80ties from Breitling stock. Only 500 of them were made and they're quite collectible now. Have a nice day .
    Actually, I don't believe that is made from Breitling stock. Breitling stock would have had a Breitling signed bridge, the Lemania signature is on Sinn bought movements. It also looks like a later movement.
    Helmut Sinn bought the rights to manufacture Navitimers from the Breilting liquidation, otherwise the 903 would have been a massive infringement of Breitling's design rights. Others (like O & W) bought the same rights.
    It is also known that many Valjoux 7740 movements entered circulation when Breitling failed. Quite a few ended up in Excelsior Park Monte Carlos, with sterilised bridges. Sinn also used this movement, although I cannot find a picture showing whether Sinn used the ex-Breilting movements. I have seen Sinns using the 7740 with Breitling crowns, though I doubt originality there.

Lovely watch.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Actually, I don't believe that is made from Breitling stock. Breitling stock would have had a Breitling signed bridge, the Lemania signature is on Sinn bought movements. It also looks like a later movement.
    Helmut Sinn bought the rights to manufacture Navitimers from the Breilting liquidation, otherwise the 903 would have been a massive infringement of Breitling's design rights. Others (like O & W) bought the same rights.
    It is also known that many Valjoux 7740 movements entered circulation when Breitling failed. Quite a few ended up in Excelsior Park Monte Carlos, with sterilised bridges. Sinn also used this movement, although I cannot find a picture showing whether Sinn used the ex-Breilting movements. I have seen Sinns using the 7740 with Breitling crowns, though I doubt originality there.

Lovely watch.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, for the info. I thought the dials were from Breitling and pad printed with the Sinn logo. Have a nice day. Titus.

Quote Originally Posted by titusdelossantos View Post
    Thanks Dave, for the info. I thought the dials were from Breitling and pad printed with the Sinn logo. Have a nice day. Titus.

But I could be wrong.

Craftsman
    Quick change to this strap.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Lovely watch.
    Dave
    Just to add to this, I have once seen a double signed Sinn breitling dial. Also, the time breitling sold the rights and was liquidating spares the 7740 movement was used on the navitimers rather than the 1873 so I would tend with Dave

I often think about buying a 556i but there was a thread a while ago complaining about service issues and huge delays which put me off. Bought a MM300 instead and I'm very happy with it. Shame as the 556i looks great but I think the clasp isn't the best. Same story with nearly all Seikos.

I have a 104i and had a 556i (had to sell to fund something else) both are good watches - both very versatile for straps so useful in lots of situations. Build quality was excellent. Not had any issues as yet but have not had to have a service as yet. They seem to hold their values well if you don't bond.
    Forgive the crappy iPhone pictures.
    Pete

I rather like my U1T on a red nato for the summer - the red stitch chronissimo gets a bit stinky on hot days, and I can't get enough on with the bracelet - just can't get it comfy. Great watch the U1 imho

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I rather like my U1T on a red nato for the summer - the red stitch chronissimo gets a bit stinky on hot days, and I can't get enough on with the bracelet - just can't get it comfy. Great watch the U1 imho

That's a great combo but that bezel alignment is really messing with my feng shui. I have the same problem with some bracelets but others fit beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I've had a 556, 656, 756 and three 857 UTCs. All wonderful pieces, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'd actually like another 857 UTC, I'm half tempted to sell my Seamaster to fund one. They're just so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's a great combo but that bezel alignment is really messing with my feng shui. I have the same problem with some bracelets but others fit beautifully.

You realise you've been wearing dive watches for a long time when you don't notice! It's still misaligned and I'm leaving it that way to mess with your head!!

Hello

Yes, Sinn Arktis. Absolutely beautiful!

Craftsman
    You realise you've been wearing dive watches for a long time when you don't notice! It's still misaligned and I'm leaving it that way to mess with your head!!

Your one evil twisted man! I'll struggle to sleep tonight.

Get one.

"Let him who is without stones not buy his first Sinn", or something...

Craftsman

I have just put a Zuludiver 400 on my new "backup" Seiko. I am used to the Original Sinn rubber/silicone & large metal clasp on my Sinn U2. This Zuludiver is really comfortable and at £38 considerably cheaper than the original Sinn version. Might be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robski, you should try a hirsch performance. Black robbie with red stitching would look well book on that.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VqqyHU]

This is my Sinn U2 after 10 years of constant wear. I don't baby it at all, nor do I take it off at work or when at the shooting range with all its concrete and hard-core.... I really like Sinn Watches.

Buying Sinn is always a good idea.
    As long as you don't come back and say- I have sinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

Always the pip on the 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Buying Sinn is always a good idea.
    As long as you don't come back and say- I have sinned.
    There's no confusion because of the difference in pronunciation ;)

Craftsman
    I would normally want the pip at 12 o'clock too. But... but a girlfriend set it to read 25 on her 25th birthday so it stayed there. I even had her put it back to 12 when we finally split up (remaining very good friends even now). Yeah, I'm a bit OCD...

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I would normally want the pip at 12 o'clock too. But... but a girlfriend set it to read 25 on her 25th birthday so it stayed there. I even had her put it back to 12 when we finally split up (remaining very good friends even now). Yeah, I'm a bit OCD...

I have a 104 and a U1, opposite ends of the spectrum. I like the 104 and what others have said is true about its wearability with various straps is so true. I wish it had a better crystal, like maybe the 1521 crystal. But the U1 is so impressive to me. I like it on a Iso too but tried it on this TF Bond RAF style single pass strap (wish Eddie made more in this cut) and really like it. I usually cut up most of my NATO straps and convert them but Eddie has a few that save me the trouble.

Ive had many Sinns over the years and always have at least one in the stable.

Currently it's this one which gets plenty of use

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Robski, you should try a hirsch performance. Black robbie with red stitching would look well book on that.
    I've had a Robbie on my U1 and it was just a bit too thin for such a heavy watch - but I agree they're a fantastic strap on something a bit less chunky. I've suddenly had a bit of a nato revelation and this arrived this morning - from zuludiver from Amazon, thin enough that I don't feel the need to chop of the extra bit, and very soft - I'm really impressed with the quality tbhIMG_1360.JPG