closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got the call SD 50 is in

It is
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    So the problem with goldsmiths in reading all the people are new and following the rules re bezel protector and hang tags and it goes on the grey market they will get fired. Now I know we have heard it all before. However, my chap called and said he will get me the bezel protector which is what I am bothered about as I always keep it on the watch in my watch box. The hang tags, really I don't care, but that's me.

Hang tags are, for me, 100% essential. Any AD that tried to trouser those would to be told to do one.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    It does look markedly bigger than the GMT. Would you say that it wears bigger?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Makes me think the blnr is too small

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    For those worried about the call, or how to source one I honestly think by the end of the year these will be as available as a sub. You may need to search, but that holds true for a sub too, but let's be honest, the first few batches are always in demand like all new issue Rolex. However, this isn't a Daytona, it's large and expensive, for the masses they will continue to buy a sub, just like they did when faced with the old model. Look at the greys, the premium is dropping quite quickly, as more and more come on the market this will accelerate. Everyone who wants one should be able to get one, that's my prediction anyway.
    I think your assessment is correct.....and that is from a chap who has paid a deposit to be on a waiting list!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I think your assessment is correct.....and that is from a chap who has paid a deposit to be on a waiting list!!
    Interesting the variation between ADs in terms and conditions to go on a waiting list ! Asking for a deposit I guess prevents time wasters! On the other hand does it bind one to the AD rather than being able to "shop around"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh the cyclops ruins what could be a great looking watch!

I am even coming round to the 43mm size.

Master
    For those worried about the call, or how to source one I honestly think by the end of the year these will be as available as a sub. You may need to search, but that holds true for a sub too, but let's be honest, the first few batches are always in demand like all new issue Rolex. However, this isn't a Daytona, it's large and expensive, for the masses they will continue to buy a sub, just like they did when faced with the old model. Look at the greys, the premium is dropping quite quickly, as more and more come on the market this will accelerate. Everyone who wants one should be able to get one, that's my prediction anyway.
    This. When the 216570 was released it was tricky to get and no discount. I got one a year later and £500 off RRP.

Master
    The 216570 Explorer II predictably enjoyed a very short time in demand before it inherited its predecessor's comparatively unloved position in the range.

The SD43 will do better, but I believe two things will determine the extent of this success : volume of supply and the dilution of interest as so many "hot" models vie for Rolex fans' money at the same time.

Ceramic steel Daytona, BLNR, D-Blue, steel Sky-Dwellers, SD43....even the two steel Sub Dates are selling well over list.

I was growing twitchy hearing that a number of SD43s were being delivered this week, having just agreed to pay big money for two myself......but then in the last half hour a big, independent main agent has told me he has 35-40 names down for one --- and he won't take requests from people out of his area!

H

Master

I think you're dreaming, to be honest.

This watch is bigger than the SD4k which was overlooked for the bigger Sub by most, it's better proportioned and wearable than the DSSD, has the Seadweller name, red text, new movement and the ubiquitous 'cyclops' which is almost a 'must-have' for non-WIS Rolex buyers. It's hit a sweet spot and the numbers will be limited rather than flooding.

Local AD has over 120 people on the list for this now.

Just IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The 216570 Explorer II predictably enjoyed a very short time in demand before it inherited its predecessor's comparatively unloved position in the range.

The SD43 will do better, but I believe two things will determine the extent of this success : volume of supply and the dilution of interest as so many "hot" models vie for Rolex fans' money at the same time.

Ceramic steel Daytona, BLNR, D-Blue, steel Sky-Dwellers, SD43....even the two steel Sub Dates are selling well over list.

I was growing twitchy hearing that a number of SD43s were being delivered this week, having just agreed to pay big money for two myself......but then in the last half hour a big, independent main agent has told me he has 35-40 names down for one --- and he won't take requests from people out of his area!

H

I do like the 216570 - I've recommended them to a few friends who want a Rolex. I do think that the UK has a bigger issue with getting models in than anywhere else in Europe which distorts reality (or they're getting snapped up much faster). Are you getting demand for the SD43s Haywood which has pushed you into buying some?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Are you getting demand for the SD43s Haywood which has pushed you into buying some?
    A few enquiries, as much as I'd expect to be consistent the wider depth of demand for them. I never liked or intended to be a part of the silly premium games with Daytonas etc, but I find myself increasingly drawn into it as my existing clients seem to want it, whatever advice I might give them. Have you seen anyone put greater disclaimers on their listings for watches sold at a premium to list price? I explicitly steer buyers to go and find a new one for less, but still they sell.

As for buying them in, it's a simple sum for me: if I can sell a watch for significantly less than the usual suspects then it should be a safe bet.

H

A few enquiries, as much as I'd expect to be consistent the wider depth of demand for them. I never liked or intended to be a part of the silly premium games with Daytonas etc, but I find myself increasingly drawn into it as my existing clients seem to want it, whatever advice I might give them. Have you seen anyone put greater disclaimers on their listings for watches sold at a premium to list price? I explicitly steer buyers to go and find a new one for less, but still they sell.

As for buying them in, it's a simple sum for me: if I can sell a watch for significantly less than the usual suspects then it should be a safe bet.

H
    I commend how you go about business and try and stay out of the hype games, but if people want them sometimes just have to satisfy the clientele....

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    This. When the 216570 was released it was tricky to get and no discount. I got one a year later and £500 off RRP.

not so in my experience.....bought a 216570 when they came out and easily achieved a 10% discount on it from Fraser Hart.

Master
    Maybe the lack of ADs locally to me hindered this. Still, didn't mind waiting 6 months.

Craftsman
    Very lucky!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As mentioned ,supply is key to holding values/desirability ,after time a form of saturation will happen and then it will be like the SD4K and easier to get.A lot of normal folk wont shell out big money for one when the normal sub will do and is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Very lucky!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    What a brilliant comment. I am blown away by the sheer quality of your posts.
    Brief,concise and to the point. Just like your other posts in a similar vein. Like- classic or lovely or interesting or others in a similar vein. Here is a man who knows what he wants to say and puts it so succinctly. No long airy fairy reasonings or explanations. Boom! Straight to the point:-)
    Just brilliant.

BTW, there is some good news here. I am sure it is not really important to you but you just crossed the 250 post threshold.

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by RAJEN; 16th June 2017 at 16:38.

Craftsman
    Why thank you! (Although I understand your comment was in jest).

I also believe you meant 250 posts but I will not hold you to that.

I will make my future replies more meaningful, detailed and personable!

All joking aside I can be a bit 'straight to the point' but I suppose that is just my northern mentality....

Again -- point taken!

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

All joking aside I can be a bit 'straight to the point' but I suppose that is just my northern mentality....
    If you are a Northerner what you doing down the smoke, get back up north before you turn into a Southern softie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If you are a Northerner what you doing down the smoke, get back up north before you turn into a Southern softie
    Ha!

I am now a 'nomad'. Deemed a northerner in London and a poncy Southerner when I go back to the homeland - cest la vie!

In all honesty, a lot more opportunity and fun in the city than up north. Although Leeds is certainly on the up now.

Master
    but then in the last half hour a big, independent main agent has told me he has 35-40 names down for one --- and he won't take requests from people out of his area!

H
    I wonder how many "unique" names there are on waiting lists across the UK. Even if your agent restricts his list to locals, have those 35-40 also put themselves on other lists?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is nice, but not that nice.

Master
    I'd love to know the dial and bezel size on this compared to the 116600 and 16600. I always thought the dial proportion a little small on the 16600, but the 116600 looked a little better. The dial to bezel width ratio looks a little off on this new one to me, with the dial too small, bezel too thick or both. Need to see it in reality though.

I'm slowly but steadily growing accustomed to this one.. Hated the thought at first but the more I look at it ... I am already at peace with the size, perhaps I'll even come round to the cyclops

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'd love to know the dial and bezel size on this compared to the 116600 and 16600. I always thought the dial proportion a little small on the 16600, but the 116600 looked a little better. The dial to bezel width ratio looks a little off on this new one to me, with the dial too small, bezel too thick or both. Need to see it in reality though.
    Dial is 29mm in diameter, 1mm more than Sub/SD4K/DSSD as per Rolex master catalogue. Bezel is also slightly wider but I have not measured it. Overall I'd say the bezel to dial ratio has increased, it gives it a more muscular look IMHO. Just loved it on my wrist and had to take it home.