closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying as an 18th pressie - would like suggestions.

Craftsman

Buying as an 18th pressie - would like suggestions.

My god son is coming up 18 and I want to buy him a watch as he has a crappy 'branded' thing. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

So, budget is £500 absolute max, I want to go silver and bracelet by pref. He is not the biggest lad so 42 would be max size. Automatic, also as he is a technical lad and will appreciate why.

He is practical to, so something more tool watch would be good. I want to get him something with a little more kudos that he wouldn't find looking in normal shops.

Pre-owned is a pref for the obvious, but new is okay too. I have a good amount of time yet so have time to keep an eye on the used market.

So far the list I have is short, so need some help.

(Only new choice) Steinhart Ocean.
    Oris TT or if by some crazy chance a diver type appears
    Longines Hydro (again if it suddenly arrives in budget)

Something that will stand the test of time is the hope.

What would you all look for given the same conditions?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

SKX007 is a classic and I think wears a bit smaller than the Ocean One. Would leave change for a nice bracelet and a night out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Oris and Longines are two I would have suggested, they would both make a great present.
    If you go down the Japanese route, Sumo (new) or titanium Shogun (pre-owned, just about)

Master
    Grovana automatic diver.

Blog Entries
    Longines Hydro... a nice blue one

Put a WTB up and you are well in budget...

A second hand watch might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially as a birthday present, so I'd focus on a new watch.

Seiko SUMO would seem to meet all your criteria. Technically it is bigger than your stated 42mm max, but should wear well due to case shape.
    Last edited by vortgern; 12th June 2017 at 21:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    A second hand watch might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially as a birthday present, so I'd focus on a new watch.
    We are good with 2nd hand, we have had conversations about my collection and why buy used.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    SKX007 is a classic
    Thought long and hard about the Seiko option, and although it comes up against all the right criteria, and is undoubtably one of the best choices ( I have a couple and did buy a skx013 last year) I just want something a little different.

He can buy his own Seiko when he truly values what they are!

Master
    Is he actually into watches? Quite a few people on here seem determined to force the watch collecting hobby onto everyone else. If he is then Sumo, hydroconquest and Steinhart are great suggestions. If he isn't then I'm sure £500 cash would be a more welcome gift. As said earlier, avoid second hand. I would be mortified if someone gave me a second hand present when I was 18.

Craftsman

Buying as an 18th pressie - would like suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Is he actually into watches? ....

..... I would be mortified if someone gave me a second hand present when I was 18.
    He is into watches, we talk about them a lot and it's why he has his 'branded' one as a teen. His Dad doesn't have a collection, but he has a single Speedy with 3 straps, so it's understood in the family.

I def wouldn't chuck that kind of money at it if I thought it wouldn't be appreciated, I wouldn't actually hand him £500 either!

As more people mention the 2nd hand thing, maybe I will think about it a bit more. He understands why I buy used, but an 18yr old is a fickle thing.....

Craftsman
    I also suspect his Dad wouldn't want him to pick up collecting as a hobby too :-D

But having a decent watch at the start of adulthood I think is something that means something to people. It did to me.

A PRS-3 would be a good choice too. Or wait for the next Christopher Ward sale.

Craftsman
    Steinhart at that price point.

Master
    Eddie's PRS 82 would be an excellent choice, brand new and well within budget with a strapcode oyster bracelet

Master
    Steinhart for Me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think this would be a good option

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/p...0-premium.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Steinhart are reportedly bringing out a 40mm range with tapering bracelet, rather than 22mm all round - I don't know when the birthday is, but as he isn't too big, if the timing works it maybe worth going for something along those lines? (I had a Steinhart OVM. It was a lovely, good quality watch and a typical Steinhart size-wise - but it is a large and fairly heavy watch...)

ATB

Jon

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Steinhart. £340 for a Swiss movement and high quality, well-finished components is hard to beat. It looks great, will take a beating, he can swim/go on holiday with it, and, if he puts one of Eddie's NATO's on it, he can be James Bond. (If there's a worry about it being too much of an homage, just remind him that Rolex copied the Fifty Fathoms. I have a couple of Rollies and still wear my Steinharts very happily.)

You didn't make it clear, but are you planning to show him the suggestions and have him choose what he likes the best, or pick something for him and give him no choice in the matter?

Craftsman
    Longines hydro or Squale for a diver,

Vintage Omega for dress

Master
    Certina's can be had at this budget , very well made and far rarer than Tissot in the U.K.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    You didn't make it clear, but are you planning to show him the suggestions and have him choose what he likes the best, or pick something for him and give him no choice in the matter?
    I would suggest this too - or at least get a feel for whether he would prefer a diver, a chrono or whatever..

ATB

Jon

Apprentice
    In my opinion the best watch you can buy an 18 year old should cost no more than £5. The chances are at some stage in the next few months they will get so drunk they will fall over and damage it.

However, if I can't change your mind buy him a Seiko divers watch. They look the business and are pretty bullet proof

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Steinhart are reportedly bringing out a 40mm range with tapering bracelet

Oh now that's excellent news! I have 6 months so plenty of time to wait.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I would love to make it a surprise but my wife bought me a watch I didn't chose for my 40th and I don't like it...( I know.... dig your way out of that...).... I think it's too individual to just leave to chance and expect him to bond with it!

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    my wife bought me a watch I didn't chose for my 40th and I don't like it...( I know.... dig your way out of that...)....
    Exactly. Nightmare scenario.

Steinhart Ocean is a great choice from what I've heard, but also I can personally recommend - from having owned 3 - the Christopher Ward C60 600. A nearly new/mint version can be picked up for £450-550 depending on exact colour/size model (43mm and Black bezel/face carry a premium).

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Another thumbs up for Steinhart. Great value for money and tough enough to take some abuse without being too precious.

Master