closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HULK VS. BLNR as a 'one luxury watch' option.

HULK VS. BLNR as a 'one luxury watch' option.

I find myself increasingly drawn to the Submariner Hulk and last night I actually dreamed about it! I don't recall ever literally dreaming about a watch before. So swiftly moving on, I have my name down on a few ADs for a BLNR (it's been about 3 months and I've heard nothing. Not sure if they are humouring me as I am a nobody as far as they are concerned). The only thing that really turns me off the BLNR is the polished centre links.

No such problem with the Hulk BUT..............it's green!!! The touch of blue on the BLNR is fine, it'll match everything I wear day to day but how are folks finding the Hulk as a daily wearer? I'm not in a position to afford both so how do Hulk owners find the SubC LV as a daily wearer or only luxury watch? I have a new found love of Casio digitals so they will take care of my ongoing watch obsession but for one luxury piece I have to decide between the Hulk and the BLNR.

Then, beyond that, what is availability like at UK ADs? I don't think I'm particularly scruffy but none of them seem to take me that seriously when I walk in. :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dunno about the hulk but the blnr looks the business with the centre links brushed and it's easy done.

I like both. I sold my hulk, and would probably have kept a BLNR if I picked one up - but I think I'd rarely wear it. The standard black/green hand GMT is very nice
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Both nice watches.
    Green didn't put me off (although the BLNR wasn't out at the time)
    Hulk is a nice green - & can look very different depending on the light ...

No regrets here

z

I've owned my BlNR since 2014 and if I could only have one Rolex the BLNR would doubtless be 'it'. In that time I've bought and sold two Hulks, I couldn't bond with it at all.

Once you get over the PCLs you'll love it and they won't even be a concern after a while. Here's mine after 3 years of near constant wear.

If you like the Hulk, but you're not sure about the green, then... isn't that just a regular old Submariner that you'd be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    If you like the Hulk, but you're not sure about the green, then... isn't that just a regular old Submariner that you'd be looking for?
    Thanks for all the input so far.

I had a SubC date but I returned it within 7 days for a full refund when I noticed that the bezel was misaligned. Great watch but at the time I had a bit of a wobble over dropping £5.7k on a watch. My business seems to be going ok so I'm comfortable with spending RRP sports Rolex money again but I want something with a flash of colour about it.

As Zelig says, in certain light the Hulk looks almost black so it may not be a problem. Don't suppose any Hulk owners are up for a pint and close to the Midlands?

Craftsman
    I'm not a fan of green
    If you can try and find somewhere that has both in stock blowers watchfinder etc
    I did this with the blnr and the Daytona side by side the Daytona looked boring
    As for ADs I had the same problem was told in one 2 years wait
    My advice decide exactly what you want and buy from the sales corner

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I want something with a flash of colour about it.
    Then as you say the LV might be just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    If you can try and find somewhere that has both in stock blowers watchfinder etc
    DOH!!! Of course logically this is the answer! I'm so focused on ADs cos I want this to be 'the one' with my name on the card etc but used dealers will, of course, hold stock of both so I can see for myself. Just need to keep my nerve and not buy at a premium over list when I'm there.

Craftsman
    Just checked watchfinder they have 2 16610lv and a 116610lv at there Leeds shop
    If you ask them they would probably send one of there blnr they have in stock to Leeds for you to look at and compare

I've just got to Birmingham to sort some things over the next 3 days, i was about to say i can meet you to show you mine but i have just looked at my wrist to see i switched watches earlier! Do'h!

If i had to have one watch it would be my Hulk, i love it. But then i do love green. I don't worry about what i wear with it either, it is just a wonderful watch. Reason i changed is i'll be getting beery on Tuesday night!
    A pal has the BLNR and a Hulk, i think he would choose the BLNR as a daily watch, took him a while to appreciate the green.

Master
    Never ever got the green thing so has to be the GMT II although I think I'd have the Sub LN over both. (Not a PCL fan on a sports watch.)

Blog Entries
    I had both BLNR and Hulk. The BLNR has gone. But that's just me. The green is not too extreme under certain light it is almost black.

It's different enough to stay. I do have other high end watches though.

Side by side

Martyn.

Craftsman
    LV was my first Rolex over a year ago. Absolutely love it and back in December I purchased a BLNR. I only wear watches at weekends and LV gets all that wrist time. The dial is amazing and can go from almost black to popping a really vibrant green.

I must give the BLNR more wrist time because that too is an interesting piece. But if I only had 1 it would be Hulk

Plus I live in the midlands too

Last edited by forest172; 11th June 2017 at 22:22.

Master
    I've owned both and sold both. Both great watches but at the time didn't feel like keepers. I'm considering getting the BLNR again for my son. Got one for my brother and it's grown on me again.

Craftsman
    Look how different my picture of the LV compared to the one above is. From almost black to bright green . I do find dials more interesting than bezel colours. Can't wait to get my hands on a Deep-sea Blue

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Look how different my picture of the LV compared to the one above is.
    That's the thing that really attracts me to the LV. I prefer the GMT functionality and movement though plus I like the busier bezel on the BLNR. Your two look fabulous!

Sadly have never owned either, but have seen both in the flesh and the BLNR looks the better watch in my opinion. I did have a Daytona with the CPLs and it wasn't really an issue for me, I thought it looked classy and they were relatively easy to buff back up to nice and shiny.

Craftsman
    I wear my LV daily, it was not a watch I was looking to buy and the green put me off from all the pics I had seen. Went to the AD to see it and bought it.

To me it is more interesting than the BLNR, the sub protrudes more on the wrist and I like that.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Look how different my picture of the LV compared to the one above is. From almost black to bright green . I do find dials more interesting than bezel colours. Can't wait to get my hands on a Deep-sea Blue
    Like the Hulk but love the D-Blue.
    But if you want something different and need a GMT Grand Seiko.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd recommend a BLNR however I am friendly with a number of ADs and they are hard to come by with waiting lists. No AD I've ever been to recently has BLNR in stock. The most recent one I was at has a list for steel subs, steel GMT, Hulk, BLNR, D-Blue and Daytona,

Funny story actually, I was at a Baselworld 2017 event at an AD the other day and trying on the new SD 43mm which looked great. I had taken my mint BLNR off and put it on the padded tray they use.

A man walked past and took a double take as he spotted my BLNR on the tray and quickly grabbed his wife, excitedly pointing out the BLNR as if he had spotted a diamond.

I get the feeling after I'd left the man was going to interrogate them about the "BLNR in stock" lol

The BLNR for me is just more special than most, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

What is this 'one luxury watch' thing you speak of?! 🤷🏼

If I had to pick though, probably the hulk, different to the standard black faced sports watch.

Master
    A no-brainer for me, I would go for the BLNR. I appreciate that the Hulk has its admirers but I am definitely not one of them. In contrast, I think the BLNR is a supremely versatile watch.

Journeyman

Owned BLNR twice, sold twice

Despite really loving the concept of the BLNR, how subtle the blue is, the GMT function etc. I just didn't love it. Sold once in 2015, bought again this year then sold again last month.

My LV on the other hand has really surprised me. I don't wear a lot of green but the dial is just beautiful in the sun and always has a different look, definitely can't see myself parting with it. On a side note, I much prefer the understated text/ markers on a submariner bezel to the GMT.

Journeyman
    I'm curious why an anniversary submariner (16610LV) is not also on your list? After a year or so of exploding prices they seem to have settled down again for the time being, and would be in the same monetary ballpark as the other two.

I've looked at the BLNR on a few occasions and I do really like it, although the use of PCL on a watch marketed for 'Professional use' makes no sense to me whatsoever. I've found the Rolex PCL Oyster bracelets pick up swirlies even under a cuff! As mentioned below though, once you get to a certain point with the PCL bracelets it no longer matters.

Quote Originally Posted by drobertson View Post
    I don't wear a lot of green but the dial is just beautiful in the sun and always has a different look
    Does the green stop you wearing the LV with certain clothes? I'm no fasionista but I need it to be versatile enough to go with anything. Khaki trousers or jeans plus a light blue shirt for example. Or a black suit. Will it go? (appologies if this sounds a rediculous question but I promise you it is genuine).

Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post
    I'm curious why an anniversary submariner (16610LV) is not also on your list? After a year or so of exploding prices they seem to have settled down again for the time being, and would be in the same monetary ballpark as the other two.
    I'm really not keen on the green on black of the Kermit plus, before I bought the SubC I tried the last of the non ceramic date subs on. It did nothing for me and compared to the current SubC it actually felt loose and much less refined. This was a minter from a dealer too! I do prefer the dimensions of the pre ceramics though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had both BLNR and Hulk. The BLNR has gone. But that's just me. The green is not too extreme under certain light it is almost black.

It's different enough to stay. I do have other high end watches though.

Side by side

Martyn.
    Amazing pic Martyn. I have the BLNR and had discounted the hulk, possibly having owned an anniversary sub in the past and disliking the green dial. But the dial looks black in that pic. Has awakened my interest again. The problem is getting to see one in the 904L......

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I have a GMT2c LN and the Sub LVc. Got the GMT first and was deliberating a few years later over whether the green would be too quirky or was the shade of green right.

In the end I went for it and have absolutely no regrets. It is my favourite watch and as everyone says the shade of green changes in different light. It is a mesmerising dial.

One thing I was worried about - the bezel colour looks "plastic" in many photos. In real life I find the bezel also looks different in different light, but always looks good.

I went to watchfinder recently to inquire about trading in my Black GMT for a BLNR because I think they look amazing on forum photos. In real life, I felt like the blue on the bezel looked a bit "plastic" and I found I actually preferred my LN. That said, if the green sub bezel is anything to go by, then I expect the BLNR also takes on different shades in different light and it might have just looked bad in the shop's fluorescent light.

As for clothes - I think my green sub goes with pretty much everything except striped shirts (just my opinion though!).

My vote - get the green sub from an AD at RRP, although you have to wait in line. You will not regret it and even if you do regret it, they are selling used at a premium over RRP currently (from what I have seen) so it's a relatively safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BenN View Post
    My vote - get the green sub from an AD at RRP, although you have to wait in line. You will not regret it and even if you do regret it, they are selling used at a premium over RRP currently (from what I have seen) so it's a relatively safe bet.
    Thanks for that. This is looking increasingly likely although I'm going to pop along to a used dealer first to have a look when I have time. If I do decide LV I then have the problem of getting on an AD waiting list. I've already max'd out my BLNR list so approaching those same dealers with a 'I now prefer the Hulk can I switch please' narrative is surely going to make them take me even less seriously than they currently appear to?

Re the centre links.... if this is really to. Be your "one watch" then the centre links can be very easily brushed to make them non polished. Ofc if thinking about future resale this may not be wise. I kinda agree on a tool watch polished bracelet seems wrong

I have both the BLNR and the Hulk - my preference is the Hulk for severalreasons.
    1. The green dial changes character depending on the light - catch it in strong light or sunlight and it radiates.
    2. The bracelet has the glidelock adjustment.
    3. The bracelet does not have the PCLs of the BLNR.
    All a bit academic at the moment as my other half seems to have permanently borrowed the Hulk.

Master
    My heart's not bleeding at your dilemma... ;-)

I think either would be superb options.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Then as you say the LV might be just right.
    Sorry—just to clarify, I was referring to the 16610 LV, otherwise known as the '50th anniversary', which has a green bezel but a black dial.

There are actually three watches being discussed here:

116710 BLNR = black dial, blue/black bezel GMT
    16610 LV = 50th anniversary Sub, black dial, green bezel
    116610 LV = Hulk Sub, green dial, green bezel

Master

16610LV

For me the Kermit is ahead of the other two especially in terms of numbers produced!!
    I was looking for a Hulk but the prices have dropped very slightly plus people offered ones with a bit of discount(although they were ones a few years old?!?) and I have been offered a few so I'm holding out for the original 16610LV I think?
    The BLNR has never really attracted me and my 19 yr old nephew has one so Ive tried it on quite a few times?!

I am seriously considering chipping in a few watches to get one decent top end Sports Rolex such as these!!
    Go for it!

Chris

If you travel and have a use for a GMT function then ofc there is no comparison between the two especially if as you said it would be your one watch

Journeyman
    I own both at present, the guys before me have given a great comparison of the watches.

But to answer your other question about daily wearing. You will find certain colours do clash with the hulk, and perhaps make your overall outfit look a little too out there.

But wearing somber colours with the hulk looks great, makes your watch stand out.

Between the two the hulk is my preferred watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I had a choice of the BLNR and the hulk just last week at Heathrow. I love both watches but opted for he BLNR in the end.

It's a tough choice - I would happily have both in the collection. Ultimately I felt the BLNR would be more of a daily wear although I'm not sure I can articulate why.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This one has to be about personal choice - do you like the green of the hulk? Do you like a gmt function, and so you prefer a more conservative blue / black colouring.

I have had both in the past year and sold both. The hulk to get something more expensive, and the Blnr as it was new and I wasn't sure I would bond and therefore didn't want to wear it.

For me the favourite was the hulk as I loved the dial, although the bezel green colour could have been bettter. People talk about it not going with anything - I don't get this as I tend not to try to match my watch with my shoes or belt etc

Craftsman
    I have to say, the Hulk looks fantastic. I'm deciding between a BLNR and a DSSD, but the Hulk is giving me more food for thought....the glide lock on the clasp is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Cheers but I have already consumed this and all the other related Hulk/BLNR porn that the youtubes have to offer ;-)

Craftsman
    No worries. As everyone has said, you need to go to some used dealers and try them on. I loved the BLNR when I tried it, but now I love the Hulk so I need to go and try one of those !