closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay Steel

Master

Black Bay Steel

Saw one in the window of Brighton Goldsmiths yesterday, thought it looked quite striking actually. Went in today to take a look but it had already gone. Anyone picked one up yet? I'd be curious to hear first impressions.

Master
    Just googled it as ive not heard of it before. I really like that.

Craftsman
    I got one, didn't expect to buy it based on pictures but once I saw in the flesh man it pops! Really happy with it.

Master
    I think the hour hand looks a bit Germanic.

Looking forward to seeing this version as well. IMHO the pics look great making it the best BB version for me

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I got one, didn't expect to buy it based on pictures but once I saw in the flesh man it pops! Really happy with it.
    Pictures please!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Pictures please!!!!!

Yes , please send pics ?? I don't think we've had any on the forum yet

Seikoboy

I saw one in the Tudor cabinet in Harrods on Saturday....very different to the original BB

Craftsman
    Two quick snaps, since the time was perfect for snap taking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    And just when I thought i'd heard every conceivable criticism of a watch... !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Two quick snaps, since the time was perfect for snap taking.

Have you tried it on the green fabric strap? I wonder if it looks a bit 'cold' on the bracelet?

Master
    Looks awesome!! Tempted to get one, does it come with an extra strap? How do you find the bracelet?

Craftsman
    Now that I like! 😁

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I really like that, doesn't look as vintage as other black bays,the lume looks ice white in the pics......

I know a lot of people don't like dates but for me they make a watch much more useful as a daily wearer, so glad they have added them to the blackbay line. I would have preferred this with some bezel colour variations as well as the metallic. I guess the two tone counts for one variation. I guess I would like a BlackBay heritage with a date.
    Mocked up the Steel with a black bezel from heritage what do you think :-) I rather like it. Red bezel triangle matches red text on dial too.

Master
    not my cup of tea, looks naked without the coloured bezel..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like dates but for me they make a watch much more useful as a daily wearer, so glad they have added them to the blackbay line. I would have preferred this with some bezel colour variations as well as the metallic. I guess the two tone counts for one variation. I guess I would like a BlackBay heritage with a date.
    Mocked up the Steel with a black bezel from heritage what do you think :-) I rather like it. Red bezel triangle matches red text on dial too.

Looks like a black bay black to me

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Looks like a black bay black to me

Exactly! Black bay with red text on dial (we all know how that adds value!) and a date, exactly what I want them make :)

Craftsman
    Not so keen on the all steel one personally. I think it looks too monotone in appearance.

I have the Black Bay red on strap, but I think I preference from the whole line up would be the black bezel on bracelet. Not riveted though I might add, that seems an unnecessary nod towards vintage.

I too was looking in a Goldsmiths window yesterday, and I too found this model to be really eye-catching despite the shiny BB 41 nearby trying its hardest to distract me

Craftsman
    Yeah, it's a polarising watch for sure. I can only recommend seeing one in person since it's one of those pieces where pictures make it look flat, whereas in real life it really looks great.

Overall the proportions are just spot on, it could perhaps be a mil or two slimmer but I'm nitpicking here. I love the red accents, the triangle around the pip and the red line on the dial. And thankfully there's no fake patina, it's basically the same kind of hand/dial setup as the BB blue with an addition of date window.

Bracelet is spot on. This has to be the first watch (except Submariner) that fits my wrist without any slack or being too tight. It's perfect. And I don't mind rivets.

They come with olive/greenish NATO strap which I've not tried and I'm not sure if I will in the near future but from pictures it seems to compliment the watch nicely and should help those who complain about the amount of steel on the watch.

So all I can say is that it's a shame it took them so long to release this homage to Tudor Submariner but since it's an anniversary model I guess they had a good reason to wait.

Ah and one thing that I really disliked when I got it was the QR code sticker which was a real bitch to take off. Whoever thought it's a great idea to have a nasty sticker that doesn't come off easily stuck to the mirror polished surface needs their heads checked. Especially since the big daddy Rolex does it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    What more than the Rolex ~ Mercedes Star?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    And just when I thought i'd heard every conceivable criticism of a watch... !
    Make that Teutonic?

Master
    I have been interested in these for a while. Then I tried one on at Rudells and for me it just felt too 'clunky ' particularly compared to the explorer I was also looking at. I just know I would end up bashing it on something. Looks nice but needs to be lower profile for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I have been interested in these for a while. Then I tried one on at Rudells and for me it just felt too 'clunky ' particularly compared to the explorer I was also looking at. I just know I would end up bashing it on something. Looks nice but needs to be lower profile for me

Same for me, wish it was a bit thinner, esp the new TT one.

Banned
    It's beautiful , enjoy it

Seikoboy

At first glance I thought it was a Tag 2000.

It certainly looks different to the other black bays.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    It's beautiful , enjoy it
    Cheers Seikoboy

Craftsman

I like it! Not sure Tudor would create something so alike to the Sub though...

Grand Master
    Resurrection of this thread.

Dealers as always quick to state now discontinued so a rare and collectable watch.
    Discontinued yes,rare mmm is it!.Ive tried to find any very recent sales to guage prices, but certainly not many about,is that because they have been discontinued & they will hang onto them,or not many on here having bought this not loved model.
    I must admit Im a black bezel watch guy but do like the look of this.
    If anyone has one "still" any comments positive or negative are much appreciated,may help me decide.

Ill look at the more well like Tudors of the same period for a price comparison,not the smiley face model,had one and regret that having seen how they have gone!.

Thanks
    Last edited by P9CLY; 4th June 2023 at 22:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would live a version in that in the 58 case

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I would live a version in that in the 58 case
    I agree the 58 case is much nicer.

But doubt that will ever happen.

Grand Master
    I think the question has been answered by the silence.

Not a great watch in the Tudor line up,thought some might at least have had one and give their thoughts on it.

Oh well.....

I had one. Couldn't complain about the quality or the head down view but the ratio of bezel edge to case edge when viewed on the wrist bothered me.

It has that slab sided issue many have with some Tudors. It just looks off to my eyes.

I'd agree a 58 steel would be great

Would be a lot of watch for the money though

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I had one. Couldn't complain about the quality or the head down view but the ratio of bezel edge to case edge when viewed on the wrist bothered me.

It has that slab sided issue many have with some Tudors. It just looks off to my eyes.

I'd agree a 58 steel would be great

Would be a lot of watch for the money though
    Thanks for your reply.I agree re the sides,I had the smiley face and the sides were my thing too.

Im considering it...
    Last edited by P9CLY; 4th June 2023 at 21:57.

I found it to be a particularly annoying dive watch - the dial is too deep and that huge rehaut gets in the way of reading the minute hand against the bezel. The depth is really obvious underwater, with the slightest tilt leading to huge refraction / reflection across the dial. The bezel is meagre, and difficult to use. But apart from that, it's fine.
    Last edited by Broussard; 2nd June 2023 at 12:26. Reason: autocorrect

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I found it to be a particularly annoying dive watch - the dial is too deep and that huge rehaut gets in the way of reading the minute hand against the bezel. The depth is really obvious underwater, with the slightest tilt leading to huge refraction / reflection across the dial. The bezel is meagre, and difficult to use. But apart from that, it's fine.
    "Under water" You say!.I dont use my dive watches under water!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    "Under water" You say!.I dont use my dive watches under water!!!.

Well, it looks okay topside too!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

Well, it looks okay topside too!
    Yes it does.....thanks

Isn’t this just like the other coloured bezel versions of the full fat BB it with the steel bezel and a date? - I think it looks rather nice but I plumped for a BB58 as like others I wasn’t a fan of the slab sided case. I must admit I prefer this over the red bezelled version - but I had a green bezel 16610LV sub for years and never liked the green, no idea why they are so popular, ruins a nice watch imho! - I’d say buy what you like not the fan boys! Same watch, with a different bezel that happens to be nicer - and is also cheaper on the secondary market, result!

Grand Master
    I was also never a lover of the red bezel,the BB58 black I really liked & will probably get another,kept the uncle seiko Jubilee if I come across one.

Black Bay Steel

I had one, and modded it

Was ace. Flipped it, and do regret…

This was it:

It wore well, was built well. Accurate, comfy, lume was ace, stylistically I liked it.
    The rivet bracelet bugged me. Think that is why I flipped in the end - but they do good aftermarkets now so I should have waited maybe.

Someone here must own it, I forget who bought it from me, but never saw it again in any threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 4th June 2023 at 22:21.

Grand Master
    The black bezel mod does look nice,but I like the uniqueness of the steel bezel tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I had one, and modded it
    How it should have came

Grand Master
    Well if anyone is interested its available at £1800 and a full set,can put anyone interested in touch.

Surely thats a great price now....or still too much!.