closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Seiko MM300 SBDX017 - stellar timekeeping! And loving the watch.

Craftsman

New Seiko MM300 SBDX017 - stellar timekeeping! And loving the watch.

I became the very happy owner of a new SBDX017 on 8th May 2017, and it has been my daily wearer since then. Unfortunately I didn't set it 100% accurately, but it was within about 30 seconds of the time on my MacBook. It is still within 30 seconds today and I haven't had to reset it once in 3 weeks now to make sure I am on time for my trains.

I will have to reset it and do a more accurate timekeeping assessment, just out of curiosity - but so far this is the most accurate automatic that I've owned. I know it has a great movement in it,but understand they aren't regulated as a matter of course. I'm very happy I've got a cracker off the production line bearing in mind they aren't the easiest ones to get into to regulate.

Some more general comments. I'm wearing the watch on an after market natural rubber I had lying around that fills the "end links" well (not a Crafter). I'm sure I will knacker the bracelet if I try to re-size it myself, so I am waiting for the Grand Seiko boutique to open and hope they will do it for me. It sits high but still goes under cuff-linked shirt cuffs. It is very comfortable on my plus 7 1/2 inch wrists, the high-ish ride means the 4 o'clock crown doesn't catch on your wrist at all. The finish and detail on the watch face, the bezel, the lume, the action of the bezel is all everyone says it is. I haven't worn it on the bracelet, but would agree with some comments I have read that it isn't, on first impressions, up to the same super high standard of the watch. But still quality.

So if you are another person wondering about an MM300 like I was, I'd say if you like dive watches, then this is one you should get on the wrist to try in person.

Journeyman
    i've tried owning it thrice (still have the third one, but never worn)...

my only advice is, ignore the print to imagine it's designed to withstand a 1000m depth and the case and crystal thickness + deep dial will appear just right.

it can probably withstand that depth anyway.

my first MM300 kept horrible time (2003). as did the second (2009). never did want to have it adjusted. it's troublesome...

the third (from 2015) i've never actually worn so i can't tell... i'm a bit afraid i'd sell it again if it doesn't keep good time.

each time i pay a little more to replace it... but it's a lovely piece in the flesh.

Craftsman
    I've had two so far.

They didn't grow on me in person but I love them whenever I see one posted up.

Not to brag but mine were within 3 sec per day each.

Wear in good health.

lucky you..never too serious about the accuracy of MM300 as it is not its selling point.

They are excellent watches, and it's a very high-quality movement capable of chronometer accuracy. I love the case design, and I find the bracelet very comfortable. However, unlike a Sub or a Deepsea (or even a Boschett Cave Dweller, which to my mind has the best glidelock there is) it's not comfortable to wear with the glidelock extended. The little corners dig into your wrist. That said, it's designed to be worn over a wetsuit, where that wouldn't be a problem. So long as you adjust the bracelet to the right size with the glidelock closed, it's perfect.

Banned
    For us who love Seiko watches , this one is a grail watch , enjoy

Seikoboy

Also owned three, but presently without one.
    The last one ran at a superb +1 second per day.
    Just wish the crystal was Sapphire and less reflective

Master
    Why wait for a Grand Seiko Boutique to open up and charge you £20-£30 to resize a bracelet anyone could do. Its a simple pin/collar system.

Got one of these new a couple of months ago and find the accuracy to be easily on par with my BLNR and subc, running 2 second fast per day, I suspect Seiko have now applied some regulation to these as reports on accuracy seem to have improved a lot. Although l love both Rolex these were bought before the MM300, had I known how good MM was in fit, finish and accuracy I could have saved
    myself a fortune.

I know timekeeping isn't important to everyone but it really is to me so it's great to hear you're very happy with the performance of yours. My current 6309-7049 was 15 seconds behind two weeks ago and it still is this morning which makes me very happy and enjoy the watch even more.

My first gen SBDX001 MM300 was in spec when I got it but I was a bit disappointed at around +10s/day. It has improved a lot as it settled in and over the last few years. No idea what it is now as I rarely wear the same watch on consecutive days. Love it though. Total keeper.

It does sound as if the SBDX017 has better time keeping than the 01.
    I have the first version and it is accurate at a constant +18 seconds a day.
    It's the only thing I can hold against the watch otherwise it's perfect for me.
    That said I change my watches everyday so only wear it every 2 weeks or so. I am sure I am more out on time keeping when I set it each fortnight.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments.

The timekeeping is just a bonus, resetting an automatic is not really a chore and to be expected. But I am glad to have it as a bonus, as I say.

steppy - I would make a pig's ear of the resizing. I'm hoping the GS boutique will do it for nothing. Omega boutiques have resized any of my Omegas for free, when asked nicely.

I tried one last week and decided against. However, since then I've been having a bad case of the 'maybe I should haves...'

They are lovely things.

Master
    Lovely watch but I would not buy it for its accuracy. I have owned a few but timing is all over the place, unfortunately for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    I tried one last week and decided against. However, since then I've been having a bad case of the 'maybe I should haves...'

They are lovely things.
    It's still here James ;)

My two are not the most accurate but theye are very consistent at +5spd and +6spd

They are hefty but I absolutely love them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    It's still here James ;)

My two are not the most accurate but theye are very consistent at +5spd and +6spd

Hefty but in the modern watch world nowhere near excessive. I'm a fervent anti big watch campaigner but I find the mm300 very acceptable.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It's still here James ;)

And that knowledge is haunting me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Hefty but in the modern watch world nowhere near excessive. I'm a fervent anti big watch campaigner but I find the mm300 very acceptable.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    I agree they're not excessive - they don't wear big, just solid and beautifully engineered.

I agree they're not excessive - they don't wear big, just solid and beautifully engineered.
    This is spot on. Superb watch and especially at this price.

I've had nine, of one variant or another. I could quite easily buy another, but I never seem to keep them.

Lovely things, regardless of the above. It's their charm that does it for me.

I'm on my third.. newest variant. One of my favourite watches ever!

They are so easy to sell, that is the only reason i ever do.

Master
    I had been wanting one for quite some time, and finally bought one off SC. Was a big disappointment for me and flipped it within an hour.

The build quality seemed very good (of the watch head at least), and certainly on par with other watches in the price range, but :

- the sizing is very misleading : diameter is stated as 44, but that is the diameter of the case, not of the bezel; the cushion-shaped case protrudes by around 2 mm either side of the bezel, so the watch wears extremely small, more like a 40 mm instead of a 44 mm one. I do realise that this is actually a big plus for many, but I don't like watches smaller than 43 mm, so it didn't work for me
    - the watch is way too thick for the diameter, the proportions are all wrong - it just doesn't work! In profile, the bezel almost looks like a nipple
    - the bracelet was just rubbish - why do they bother?
    - the rubber strap, although better quality than the bracelet, it's again, the wrong proportions - the curly bits at the top make it too beefy for the rest of the watch, at least looks-wise : it's like putting a Toshi strap on a vintage dress watch
    Last edited by asteclaru; 31st May 2017 at 21:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I had been wanting one for quite some time, and finally bought one off SC. Was a big disappointment for me and flipped it within an hour.

The build quality seemed very good (of the watch head at least), and certainly on par with other watches in the price range, but :

- the sizing is very misleading : diameter is stated as 44, but that is the diameter of the case, not of the bezel; the cushion-shaped case protrudes by around 2 mm either side of the bezel, so the watch wears extremely small, more like a 40 mm instead of a 44 mm one. I do realise that this is actually a big plus for many, but I don't like watches smaller than 43 mm, so it didn't work for me
    - the watch is way too thick for the diameter, the proportions are all wrong - it just doesn't work! In profile, the bezel almost looks like a nipple
    - the bracelet was just rubbish - why do they bother?
    - the rubber strap, although better quality than the rubber, it's again, the wrong proportions - the curly bits at the top make it too beefy for the rest of the watch, at least looks-wise : it's like putting a Toshi strap on a vintage dress watch
    Yep fully agree and fell for the hype but without trying one I would never had known.

Yes they are awesome watches and words/images can not really explain the draw of this watch, you simply need to own one to understand..

Incidentally I put my 001 on last night, its a mid 2015 and keeps to +7 sec everyday exactly.. I would adjust it myself but have had a hells time trying to get the back off

Last night for some reason I thought I would try the bracelet as I'm more of a strap wearer and like it on the original shaped rubber, it looks really nice actually as is comfortable for a heavy watch, I would really like to try it in rotation with a 16660 Sea Dweller as that is what I want one day but thinking the MM300 wears and feels bigger than the 16660.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Yep fully agree and fell for the hype but without trying one I would never had known.
    It may be a Marmite watch for some, but of the watches out there for the second hand price of £1000 it really is a hell of a lot of watch.. The first time I seen one was 3 years ago in the Seiko boutique in Paris and I was disappointed, I too thought it looked small, but that was my mindset of wanting a bigger watch at that moment in time.

As I moved on with different watches the MM300 was always in the back of my mind plus bigger watches dont appeal to me so much now, I bought my one last year and love it to bits and looking at it now it is not a small watch at all, good thing to do is look at your watch in the mirror while wearing it for a true reflection, "small" watches generally dont look small, bigger watches can look silly.

Master

Stunner!!

Never really on my radar until coming on here but since 2011 Ive had 3 and the latest incarnation has to be my favourite so far? Must admit though I have only worn my latest one a couple of times but that's due to a Breitling Emergency and a 16800 that have joined the fold recently?!?!
    Once I get over swapping the new additions over each day the MM300 will probably be my go to daily.
    I only like rubber straps on Seiko so I do use the waffle strap that it comes with! I would like to try it on a silicon strap as I'm finding them comfy at the mo?!?(got one on my Turtle)

Like Ive said and many others have Seiko can be a bit marmite for some especially at this price point but once you try an MM300 the quality is just there!!!! Only issue I have at the moment is mine is mint, whereas the rest of my latest editions have plenty of wabi so I'm a little worried of marking it in anyway as it looks perfect!! I had a small scratch on the insert on my last one which really annoyed me so I want this one to stay just so!!

Chris